Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers

Post subject: Scared
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:25 am 

All I can tell all you out there, that I'm scared for life and it's Pete's fault. I visited many clubs in Miami and I always left unhappy with the dj, for the exception of Casanovas, only because Ciro played good music and mixed smoothly. Pete on the other hand was outragious, the wild things he would try live were unbelievable. No dj would try those fearing a train wreck. Am I bias? Hell ya, Pete's my mentor but I'm not ass kissing (I would never kiss a man's hairy ass if he was a girl than probably). I'm only telling it how I personnally witnessed it. I was the reporter for the Vynil Junkie newsletter and I had to visit as many clubs as possible in Miami. No one came close. Sorry that's the way it was and is.

Post subject: THE BEST!!!
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:11 am 

It was just a matter of time before you guys started this thread!! LOL Deejays and their egos!! Ha HA. I haven't posted much, but I am reading every post, every night. This could be a very bad thing. If a deejay,especially, a high quality deejay is really any good. He has to believe in himself, and his ability to mix and remix. You all, deep down, think you are the best. I have heard thousands of deejays myself. And Pete Denis and I have known each other since we can remember . Gotta be 50 years now. I think he is the best I ever heard. But of course I think that. He's great, and my best friend. What my point is, is that all disco era deejays were great. All of you. It took all of you to be great to make it work. If it wasn't for deejays spinning and making the great music, perfect, the whole "disco" thing would never have worked. So in my book, all the 70's & 80's deejays were the bomb. They let today's deejay do what they do, because of what they did. But they, these great deejays, obviously failed, or were not asked, to pass on those secrets. They got to!So all you old schoolers, get back at it, show the world how to spin, this nuDisco that is emerging.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:24 pm 

WHOA!!!!!! Slow down here gentleman! This is not a "who is the best DJ" question, it is "who is the best you ever HEARD" question. Go back and read some of the comments made here. Some of you are arguing about who is the best and not giving your opinion of the best you have ever heard.

Do you notice the difference??? Some people did not have the capicity to travel around and hear the guys in Chicago or LA or wherever. Is the question's meaning, who is the best mixer or who is the best remixer or who is the best programer or who is the best crowd pleaser????

The actual question is very difficult for me to answer. I have heard many, many people play. I have heard Burgess, Pinky, Larry, David, Frankie, Bobby, Bacho and lots of the other greats talked about here. Each were different for different types of crowds.
For argument's sake, what combined elements exactly defines "THE BEST".
Who is the best R&B DJ, who is the best Euro DJ, who is the best Import DJ, etc, etc? Should the question be "Who is the best overall DJ you ever heard"?????????
Who played Motown and Elvis and Latin during the night with the rest of the standard Club/Disco music????? Who is the best entertainer/DJ you have ever heard might be a better question. Again, for me, I can not say who is the best I have ever heard.

What I can say is " I am the second best DJ I have ever heard". LOL

POOCH

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:47 pm 

Pooch,

Liked the points you raised in your post there as I thought the thread was going off on a bit of a tangent..Remember people..its who are your favourite dj's that you have heard over the years and not who is the best dj out there as that would be impossible to judge!..

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:53 pm 

What are you both talking about? The thread was going just fine. Everyone has a view, an opinion. Some saw more deejays then others. They all mention various names. I think that Pepe Salvaje had it best!

Last edited by Pete Denis on Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:06 pm 

Pete Denis wrote:
What are you both talking about? The threrad was going just fine. Everyone has a view, an opinion. Some saw more deejays then others. They all mention various names. I think that Pepe Salvaje had it best!

On some of the posts..thats what seemed to be coming across. That the names mentioned were the best dj's period and not just the best that they had heard over the years. Thats the way I read it and I am sticking with it so you can kiss my English ass>!..LOL

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:25 am 

OK -OK, I got a few e-mails. I think I made my point clear. Now, since I have received a few questions via e-mail, I guess I will have to add to my comments again.
I thought Jim Burgess was great at Infinity. I thought he was great at 12 West. I listened & danced. He is one of my best.
I thought Pinky was fabulous at IP. Only heard him once. Honestly, that was all I needed from him. I listened & danced. He is one of my best

I heard Scott Blackwell at Palladium. Great mixer. I listened. He is one of my best

I used to go hear Bacho at Revelation in 1972 & 73. Slams records no body else. (while he can stand) back then, he is one of my best.

I listened to Mark Zimmer at Tuts, Pastels & Park Villa. Used to pull mixes out of his ass. He would be on my best list.

I watched Pete Denis remix "Glamorous Life" on you tube. I am disapointed that I never got to hear him a whole night. Until I saw that video, I had thought that I was the last of my kind. He would probabaly be on my best list.
Shall I go on Gentleman??

And yes!!!!....... I am the second best DJ I ever Heard!!!!!!!!!
If you do not understand that, I am sorry.
Pooch

Last edited by DanPooch on Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:27 am 

with reference to comment of Pete Denis
Should read "Until I saw that video"
Sorry
Pooch

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:36 am 

I am not biased. Pooch is one of the Best DJ's I ever heard. When I say best, I mean that he made people dance for him. And sometimes, he made them just listen. I followed that guy over 20 years to 30 someodd clubs. All different crowds, but always his. For me that is what was best about a DJ. the crowd belonged to him, he never belonged to them.
I also watched the Video from Pete Denis - - Pooch sent the link to me. That guy is Danny Pooch with a belly. LOL Two in the same Dinosaurs. Pooch, I happy that you are not the last of your kind. The Dinosaur lives!!!
Rob

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:28 am 

You are right Pepe!! These deejays all, have massive egos. And they all were great. We couldn't have gotten here without you guys! So thanks to you all.

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers