Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Various

Post subject: Personal stories about disco artists you've met..........
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:14 am 

List your favourite stories about your meetings with any disco artists you may have come into contact with......you know.....the kind of stories those artists wouldn't mind you sharing. :wink:

There are already a few floating around, but I thought this might be a nice thread to put them all into. Here's one of mine.

It's 1981 & I'm playing as resident DJ of Twains discotheque in Surfers Paradise on Australias' Gold Coast.

Tonight my special guests are The Pointer Sisters. :twisted:

Anita, Ruth & June all perform an amazing showcase of songs that tear the roof off & I manage to catch up with them backstage so I can (a) thank them for a wonderful performance & meet them & (b) get all their autographs on a 7" single I have planned for them to sign (complete with autograph pen) :)

They graciously accept my appraisal of their performance & also my request to sign the 7" single.
The 7" single is an Australian pressing of "He's So Shy" :)

All of a sudden things go horribly wrong. :o

I hand them the pen for the signing & I really can't remember who said what, but I know what I heard.

One of them sat back in horror, quite distressed, saying "I don't believe it!" :shock:

The other two looked at her with looks of confusion. She went on.

"Look! They've gone & spelt our names all wrong! It says written by Anita, Rush & Jane.....oh hell no .....ain't no way ...I'm gonna raise some hell, blah,blah,blah,..... :x

The other two grabbed the single & looked uttering their respective dissapproval. :evil:

I just wanted my pen & single back. :oops:

"Exscuse me ladies", I remarked," but my record is about to run out & would you mind..........." :?

All of a sudden they realised that I was still there waiting & hurriedly signed the single with lots of love from all of them & I ran off to mix the next track.

I did hear that someone at WEA records out here got a kick in the ass from them before they left. :twisted:

I still have the single. :D

Last edited by pflext on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:14 pm 

Great story pflext!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:36 am 

I can't believe I'm going to have to keep this thread going all by myself. :P

Surely there must be a few encounters some of you recall.

I loved The Skatt Bros. - "Walk The Night". :twisted:

I actually got to meet The Skatt Bros. when they were doing a gig on Australias' Gold coast in 1981. :)

I was playing in a disco up the road from the rock venue in which they were playing.

After work I raced down to the venue in my disco gear & the bouncers didn't want to let me in cos they said I would get beaten up for walking in there dressed as I was. :?

I explained I was the DJ from up the road & pulled out my Skatt Bros. 12" to prove it (he he) & they let me in. :wink:

The boys signed my US Casablanca promo (which I'd actually bought as an import) & bid me farewell.

I just made it out alive. Phew!

"Life At The Outpost" was actually a top 5 hit in Australia.....that's why they toured.

Coming soon..................The Grace Jones Encounters. :twisted:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:43 am 

As promised, here's my Grace Jones story.

In 1985 Grace Jones relesed her Album "Slave To The Rhythm".
She was in Australia for a promotional tour & was being taken to lunch in Sydney by the head of her local record company.
En route to the restaurant she was whisked in & out of our record store, Disco City to sign some albums as we had a big promotion going on for her latest release. :wink:
I don't think Grace knew this was going to happen. It was sort of sprung on her at the last minute but she came in, signed her LPs & was very gracious ('scuse the pun) to myself & all the staff.
With a brief "Thankyou darlings, you're all wonderful!", she was gone.

2 years later I am at a very famous RATTY New Year party for about 15,000 people on NYE '88.
Grace Jones comes on @ 4am & gives an amazing performance, totally blowing us all away. :twisted:
About 5:30 am I am dancing in the middle of abot 10,000 people still left & I turn around & literally bump straight into Grace!
I couldn't believe my eyes! :shock:

"Hi Grace! Remeber me!" I shreik with sheer delight. Grace peers into my eyes trying to think of where she might have met this stranger before. :?
I give her some help.
"We met @ Disco City a couple of years ago when you came in to sign your albums. I was managing the store but we only met briefly." :)
All of a sudden she grins widely, "But of course, how are you?"
Before I could reply about 5 big bouncers surrounded her & whisked her away. After that I couldn't even get close to her! :evil:

She is performing in Sydney again on 13/01/08 to promote her new album "Hurricane".
You best believe I'll be there. 8)

Post subject: Re: Personal stories about disco artists you've met..........
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:38 am 

pflext wrote:
"Look! They've gone & spelt our names all wrong! It says written by Anita, Rush & Jane.....oh hell no .....ain't no way ...I'm gonna raise some hell, blah,blah,blah,.....

Unique story!
I know how they must felt, I was once in similar situation. Some 10 years ago, a small local record label released Croatian hip-hop album, with info about all Croatian hip-hop radio shows written inside the booklet. They managed to got it all wrong about my show - misspelled name of the show, wrong frequency and other things... I was so pissed, I sent a letter to the head of that label, threatening to sue him! :twisted: He called me immediatelly, in panick... :mrgreen:

Now, I'm really glad for you that you had your chance(s) to meet Grace, and more than once! Were you Grace's fan before you first met her? Tell us more, what are your impressions of her. How come she did New Years Eve party Down Under, and not in L.A. or New York?!? Did you see all 3 shows (85, 87/88, 08)? Do you have any photos? I have some photos from this year's Montreux Jazz Festival if you/anyone is interested in seeing them.

Grace performed there, but that was not all for me this summer! In only 13 days I saw: Kraftwerk, Tricky, Grace Jones, Sly & Robbie, Quincy Jones, B.B. King! Met all of them except Kraftwerk. :D (Keep in mind that I'm not from London or New York, but from a small country with low standards, far away from big events.)

If I could wish anything I want to come true, but only one thing - I wouldn't wish for all the money in the world or perfect health or world peace. I would wish to go back in time before I was born, in the 70's, in New York, to dance in DISCO era.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:49 am 

Disco54 wrote:
Now, I'm really glad for you that you had your chance(s) to meet Grace, and more than once! Were you Grace's fan before you first met her? Tell us more, what are your impressions of her. How come she did New Years Eve party Down Under, and not in L.A. or New York?!? Did you see all 3 shows (85, 87/88, 08)? Do you have any photos? I have some photos from this year's Montreux Jazz Festival if you/anyone is interested in seeing them.

I was a Grace Jones fan for a few years before I met her.
The first time I saw her it was a promo only tour......no performance.
As to why she was playing in Australia for NYE & not somewhere else???...What can I say? She has good taste...lol.
Sydney is the place to be on NYE if your a party queen & don't mind the tropics!
Just look at who's playing here this NYE!!...Danny Tenaglia....Roger Sanchez & Carl Cox!!
At that time Sydney also had the 2nd biggest gay population in the world!!
As you know, she has a big gay fanbase.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:07 pm 

pflext wrote:
At that time Sydney also had the 2nd biggest gay population in the world!!

Gay men in Australia!? I thought you're all real men down there... like Mad Max, Mick Dundee... :mrgreen:

If I could wish anything I want to come true, but only one thing - I wouldn't wish for all the money in the world or perfect health or world peace. I would wish to go back in time before I was born, in the 70's, in New York, to dance in DISCO era.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:40 pm 

Looks like it will be a Real Rockin' New Years this year!!
Wish I was there!!!

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:14 pm 
Site Admin

Disco54 wrote:
Gay men in Australia!? I thought you're all real men down there... like Mad Max, Mick Dundee... :mrgreen:

Haha... :lol:

Jay, I agree - looks like the NYE in Sydney will be great this year (as well)...
Pflext - Are you going to listen to any of these super jocks?

// Discoguy

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:57 pm 

Discoguy wrote:
Pflext - Are you going to listen to any of these super jocks?

// Discoguy

We are very spoilt for choice. :)
So many superstar acts & DJs descend on us at this time of the year.
Even if I had the $$$, I'd still be pushed for time to see them all!! :shock:
Here's a list of who is playing just on New Years Eve & New Years Day.
Danny Howells, Anthony Pappa, Carl Cox, Danny Tenaglia, Roger Sanchez, Infected Mushroom, 2 Many Djs, Cassius, LCD Soundsystem, Krafty Kuts, Sinden, Nic Fanciulli, Sebastien Leger, DJ Yoda, Fred Falke, Miami Horror,DJ Marky,Theo Parrish, Dilated Peoples, Pepe Bradock, Sharam, Mark Knight, Eddie Halliwell, Josh Wink, Shapeshifters,Tom Novy,Pete Tong, Derrick Carter, Dirty South, D ramirez, Smokin' Jo, Christian Burkhardt, Sandy Rivera, Chuck Love & they are just the DJs let alone all the musical acts appearing! :o
I reckon around $500-$600 for 4 party tickets & sundries as well as the stamina to party non-stop for 24 hours & you'd be right....lol!
This year I will not be attending any of them as I'm partying with close friends at a private party in a mates very nice house. :wink:
Hope you all have a blast whatever you're doing! :twisted:

Board index » DISCO » Various