Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » CLUBS » Paradise Garage

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Hippie Torralles
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:23 am 

You might have been a star in Jersey and in your own mind. But Larry was a superstar. Yet I know you were a better mixer! So it isn't fair. The world rarely is!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:59 pm 

Larry did magic, he was a Groove-magician, an incredibly gifted remixer, a crowd enchanter. Larry was Mr. Paradise but he was not the world's best mixer, not even close. He had other talents that make him a legend!

Post subject: I believe that
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:50 am 

I believe that statement by STARR. It nails it on the head how I feel.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:39 pm 

There is no magic at all.If you have the new records weeks before the other djs you just have the right contacts,or your manager called Judy.You have to mix these records,if you cannot do this you're not a club dj whatever your name is, you do another job.
And if we talk about ''gifted'' remixers find the original mixes of Gwen Guthrie's - Padlock or Jimmy Ross - First True Love Affair, listen after the ''remixes'' and imagine if someone like Burgess,Kevorkian or Pettibone touch these productions what magic would it be.
Larry Levan and David Mancuso maybe was serious persons of NYC Disco scene ,they have the contacts and the media with them,but when we talk about people like Burgess,Gibbons,Torales,Pettibone and so many others famous or not ,we mean the Real DJs!
Don't believe the hype - Trust only your ears!

Post subject: You Go George!
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:30 pm 

George, I agree, whole-heartedly! But I give Larry more props. He would not only get the songs first, good connections, but he would go to Sunshine Studios and put it hard vinyl. He was special. Because he used everything, every weapon he could to get his audience on the dance floor. But mixing wise, every deejay I ever taught mixes better. And hundreds more too.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:35 pm 

Larry Levan made history at Paradise Garage,that's for sure Pete.But I am talkin' about his mixing skills.That's why outside Garage he didn't make it,even in places like Ministry Of Sound in the early 90's.
A good dj can do his thing in many clubs.People like David Morales doin' gigs all around Europe and make the people dance with their music and the way they mix.
Larry Levan is called a music legend for his personality and collaboration with Paradise Garage but it stops there.But in a true world without media lies, people like Jim Burgess (Infinity,12 West,Studio 54,Saint)show how a DJ can be great everywhere!

Post subject: I couldn't agree more!
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:41 pm 

George, You are preaching to the choir! Who you think started this"discussion". As far as I was concerned, he was NOT all that!

Post subject: He certainly wasn't all that
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:27 am 

This legend of a deejay, was not that good at Paradise Garage either. He used tricks and mirrors to give the illusion of greatness. That fact not only fooled the patrons of the club, but the entire New York deejay circuit society as well. All New York City deejays rave about him. The rest of the world sees and hears the truth. He was not all that!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:11 pm 

Guys!

Just a question to all the LL haters out there. Why do well respected Djs like Nicky Siano & Frankie Knuckles and many more that i havent got time to mention, constantly big-up the man....are you saying that these guys have'nt got a f*****g clue!.

Surely the art of being a dj is'nt just about mixing technique. Choice selection must come into it somewhere......am i wrong?......Sure i love to hear beautiful live mixing but its all about the music to me!

Hey!...and its only an opinion so you NYC boys take it easy on me and hold back from getting me whacked!!!

Post subject: Hold On Bro
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:56 pm 

You are absolutely right SoulBoy. It's the music that counts. Larry was a LEGEND because of the progressive music he played. I don't know why people are LL haters. He was the bomb! Every time I heard him at The Garage I heard something new, something unheard before and something I definetely wanted to play at the club I was spinning at.

There are many many DJs that can mix well, but if they are playing BS, what does it matter???

David Mancuso of The Loft made it a point NOT to do mixes. He played 'the best' music and it was a parrrrrty all night long.
He did bust chops by ONCE a night by doing a mix just to show us he could do it.

If you was around NYC at the time I know SoulBoy, you would be an LL FAN like me!!!

Post subject: NYC BOYS? WHACKED?
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:18 pm 

Soul Boy, where would you get the idea that NYC deejays would get you whacked because you are on the Larry Levan bandwagon? On the contrary. It is the NYC deejays who all rave about Larry. And calling me, specifically, a hater is wrong and unfair. I never once said I hated LL, I just point out that as a "mixer", there were many better deejays. As far as him always having the latest and newest music. That is a fact. But that, in my opinion, has nothing to do with deejaying. He simply had the very best connections and access to the best of the latest music. Then the hype grew, and he became our version of LARRY LEGEND! With apologies to Larry Bird. He really needs no defense, he was the MAN in New York City. But to the rest of us(and I did live there for all my youth), he was not all that. That should not make me a hater. But simply one of that rare breed of people, who actually thinks! I am very capable of forming my own opinion, and I KNOW there were tons of better deejays, including a great many here, in this site. Starting with JAY!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:40 pm 

Soulboy,first of all Frankie Knuckles was a close friend with Larry Levan,have the same manager(Judy,of For The Record Pool fame)and for me he's not better from Larry.The same lies,the godfather of house with his first production in 1987.Farley Jackmaster Funk,Ron Hardy,Steve Silk Hurley and Ralfie Rosario maybe there not in Chicago,they play music and doin' productions in a another town if this man is the godfather.
But is what the press say,especially in England,that's the fact,they recycling boolshit and lies so you have to forget the truth of your ears.
If only music counts there's no need of the dj,we can put an old jukebox in the club without mixing like the Loft of Mancuso and that's ok.
Because if the private party who someboby is doin in his house makining the rules for the way a professional dj have to act we are not talking serious.
The fact is that Larry Levan like Mancuso could NOT MIX.You don't have to be a LL hater,that's the truth.And for God's shake Soulboy you don't have to be like him,there's many more ways for a DJ to be a legend,you can find easy at the Net the last set of Jim Burgess at Saint and if you listen to this REAL document you can see what legend Real DJ means

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:17 am 

OK I will agree LL wasn't a great mixer. But as a DJ in his presence when he got it right all I can say is the mix did not matter. And like I said Dj's go for technique (1000's of others better) but music selection and out and out balls the best. Pete Larry did not have the best selection cause he got them from a pool! No. Labels use to go there with acetates beggin and hoping he would play there records. I rememeber you use to have to get cleared by Dave Depino before you can even step into the VIP lounge upstairs. Depino would ask Larry if it was OK for so and so to come up. Didn't matter if you were a superstar actor, musician, dj or record label owner if Larry said no it was no. Now that's balls and if Larry played a record and people didn't respond he'd play it again till he got a response. Now I know Dj's are just suppose to mix when it comes to playin records but I learned from playing black clubs most of my life you have to have balls and personality enough to get you by. Nicky Siano was another personality. Buttermilk Bottoms Nicky head would drop sometimes from all the drugs he did and and all you hear was a thump. LOL people use to cheer Nicky Nicky. I tell you Pete it is different playin in a black club compared to any other ethnic club. I've played every possible club you can imagine latin, guido, black and international clubs and there all different.

http://myspace.com/hippietorrales

http://hippietorrales.podOmatic.com

Post subject: In his prime At his best
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:28 am 

In his prime, at his best, when the drugs did not dominate. Larry Levan was one of the most popular deejays in New York City, and in Jersey too. The fact that he had balls, is not in dispute. David Germaine told me many times when he could not get in to see Larry. My point is basic. As far as mixing, and strictly talking about mixing, he wasn't all that. But the intangibles that you loved and describe made him a legend. Can we finally agree to that?? LOL-- Now YOU!! That is a different story. I have heard only GREAT things, never a negative thing. You took your crowd by the throat, and made them have a great time! KUDOS TO YOU!! And props to the legend that is Larry Levan.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:12 pm 

Hi Hippie,feel great to talk with someone like you.I have a question:The record labels and the artists beggin LL to play their songs or they really beggin Frankie Crocker to be there and listen?
Because I believe that's was the power for the hits and sales,Frankie and WBLS not things like what LL's orders Depino follows.Promotion it's the biggest thing for record labels and in the begining of 80's with a destroyed disco market the only way was the radio.That's why people like LL or Tony Humphries was so important for the marketing of dance music.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » CLUBS » Paradise Garage