Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » CLUBS » Paradise Garage

Post subject: Paradise Garage Those Golden Years
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:13 pm 

Hi All, Ray is my name and was a core card memeber no. 3656 for 6 years.
I went the first time to the garage back in 1981 thru 86, The first time was for the summer DJ convention in new york city living in ny made it easy to get to the garage and as a DJ in a club in queens n.y. a must
Our crew would seek and search for new ways to excite the club crowds we played for.
Well on a trip to the convention center we meet up with a crew of other DJ's from our record pool and they had told us about this Ass banging club down on king street,do we want to go?, And that after all the formal convention activity ends for the day we all meetup and head downtown. Now the way i was brought to the garage was by the promoters of the party at the paradise garage and some record companies who where in the same group.
They took us down to the garage as we come up to the structure that look like something out of an old 1930 by-gone era a place to storage cars as you approach the door which looked like it could fall off any second !!!. headed up a ram with lights flashing like a runway" take note these light where change in later years not to flash" well after a little climbing to the top of the ramp you presented your cord card paid your fee which that night was free. So on you go to the coat check or just to the rec. room the doors to the dance floor are one on eachside of the rec. room.
Well we head to the dance area as i enter the dance floor my cloths started to vibrate and the ground was shaking the floor was going to the music each beat made the room moved in a wave!!!, the speakers 12 feet high with ladders built on the sides of them Rosner/richard long sound if i'm correct was the designer of that sound system,
The crowd no better to be found in new york city that night it was a DJ"S covention in new york city and almost every known Dj and promoter was there.
This was a once in a lifetime event from what i know and others that i spoke to about who attended at this one night at the paradise garage.
At this time the garage was still coming out as we say,
Not just ready for the public. As we danced on the floor all the lights are either turned down or off larry liked it dark and what do i see in the crowd one light just one. A dancer with a miners hat and everyone dancing to the beat of the light what maddness!.
From that day on music was never the same to me.
As an end note the garage was a DJ"S club a place for DJ's to go after a long night at his own club and have fun or just to meet other jocks to blab the lastest on the seen,
It was a place for record promoters to hang with the crowd and checkout new music they wanted larry to review and play,
Everyone had fun and talked danced,did deals and other acts of trust,
But mostly it was to listen to larry and his magic sound, a sound so good that till this day i can feel it in the music when i play it.
The first songs i ever heard in the garage was from First Choice a set larry made a mix of . The last was Thelma Houston which was" Don't leave me this way". A crowning event to an era ending many fun saturday nights dancing at the garage. I was a true" Garagian" who went to the greatest show on earth which was at the paradise garage on weekends.
Larry Levan was a golden story untold. Someday the world shall know that Paradise once thrived in New York City on a street called king st. and the king was Larry Levan ,The house he built was the Paradise Garage.

Last edited by RB_OLD _DAYS on Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:23 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:36 pm 
Site Admin

Hi there Ray,

THANK YOU for charing your memories with all of us !

Disco-on !

//Discoguy

Board index » CLUBS » Paradise Garage