Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » CLUBS » Paradise Garage

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Yes He was
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:02 pm 

I am a very big Larry Levan fan. His song selection, and his "remixes" of songs was exceptional. He played great music. It is that simple. So he had a HUGE LOYAL FOLLOWING! But he was not a mixer. He was a great deejay!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:37 am 

Actually I think Larry was all that. I'll tell you why in as few words as possible. Larry wasn't as much concerned about the mix as he was to the programming. And in that he was all that. Being that I was the house jock at Zanzibar and was in the meeting as to what to do on off nights and recommend Larry for Wednesday I can tell you Larry was not at Paradise when he did Zanzibar. You must realize this was Larry's only other club he was allowed to play at outside of Paradise so it was different for him. But I got to know Larry pretty close when we both worked at Zanzibar and he truly was an artist. His thinkin and approach was at a level that most artist with a vision can appreciate. I questioned him about playing records that don't get a good response and his answer was fuck em. If you believe in the record then they will eventually also. That's one of the reasons why Larry would play his new songs sometimes 6 times in one night. Because he knew by the end of the night it would be there song also.

http://myspace.com/hippietorrales

http://hippietorrales.podOmatic.com

Post subject: Hippie
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:03 pm 

Well, that might have worked because he was LARRY LEVAN. In Miami/Ft Lauderdale area, if you played a song six times in one night,and I have done that(with MY MALE CURIOSITY), the dance floor better be packed. Too many wannabe deejays waiting to bitch to management and ownership. They certainly would have pointed out the empty dance floor. Then said something like,"that would never happen if I was spinning, and I won't cost you as much". I think that Club Zanzibar's owner was extraordinary. ---I would play new music every night, but I found a way to make it work from the get go, by sandwiching it in between proven hits. But ZANZIBAR was special, and I already read that you compared it to Paradise Garage. Sounds fantastic, but I still loved a good mix, even of a new song. Larry had fewer and fewer good mixes through the years. The fact that we are having a conversation about his spinning skills is proof of the fact that he was over-rated. No-one doubting PINKY or Jimmy Burgess. Or you.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:45 pm 

LOL I hear you Pete. But you have to look at it like a Van Gogh or any other great artist. Van Gogh could barely make a living while alive and yet here we are centuries later appreciating his artistic vision. Things are not always what they appear. And if talent is questioned by the standards at the time then there be no progress. I was like you back then saying damn I mix a hundred times better than that what's all the fuss. But if you were in his environment when he painted his musical canvas then you can appreciate what his many fans appreciated. You see this is what I learned and you pointed out Dj's go to listen to a jock for the skill and selection clubbers go for the experience and surprises that Larry delivered.

Post subject: VAN GOGH
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:14 pm 

Come on Hippie, comparing Van Gogh to Larry Levan? If you said PICCASO (A Cuban!)it would be better. He was all over the place as well. Van Gogh would be Jimmy Burgess. LOL- SMOOTH! You Too!-- Alan raves about you, so does DJ Chulo. Chulo was a steady costumer of ZANZIBAR. I think that people went to ZANZIBAR because it was a great happening place. I bet those latinos went home disappointed they did not hear you! I think the Clubs made Larry Levan, not Larry Levan made the clubs. Sure his remixes kicked ass. I will agree to that 100%. He did great work in the studio. IN THE STUDIO! LIVE, in a club, it was his NAME and the actual clubs that made it an experience. Silence in between songs, galloping horses during mixes, things like that would get a deejay fired , unless his name was Larry Levan, or he owned the club! Concept mixing?? Come on, we are deejays here, that is a term we use to be nice, respectful, but what we really mean is, that this guy can't mix too good. Surprises?? Changing the tempo? That was the surprise, and new music. He used the "tricks" of the early 70's, sound effects, beat boxes, echo chambers. But face the fact, you could name at least 100 deejays who blended and mixed better. It is not that I did not like Larry, he was just over-rated from my realistic point of view. Maybe I am jealous that he got all this hype, and I do not think he deserved it. But that aside, I am right! 100 better deejays, at least!!

Post subject: WOW
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:40 pm 

Wow, do you think Pete has a resentment or what?
Calm down hermano. Larry is gone. He ain't comin back. Easy now Pete. We don't want you to bust your keyboard. We need you here!
lol

Post subject: You Think?
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:13 am 

I do not resent Larry as a person. Hell, you got to give it to him. he lived large, had a great ride. I do resent him being called one of the best. Jayski, I told you, I told Hippie I will tell the world, he was not as good as you. There were at least 100 deejays that I could name who were better. He made a name, it carried him. He played great music. But MIXING? Only in the studio, where he truly was ONE OF THE BEST. He was not a good club mixer, never mind a great mixer. I resent the over-whelming amount of sentiment that considers him "the Best". He wasn't. But you guys!! YOU ARE THE BEST!! I've heard you guys JAM, MIX and BLEND. You guys kick it. I give you props!

PETE'S NOTE:: You see, I feel bad, going against the traditional flow here. After all, Larry is not around to defend himself. But at least you guys are. You gotta understand that I had total respect for him, he was a pioneer, an old school legend. In the early seventies he was amazing. But he failed to change with the times. And his name was well known by the time PARADISE GARAGE opened. That attracted not only his fans, but a newer generation of "clubbers" that fell hook,line and sinker for the old school "tricks" he continued pulling, along with his impeccable taste in music. He was the BOMB, he was the shit! In their eyes, he was a disco deejay GOD. I am saying he wasn't. That is all.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:49 pm 

Hey Pete: I will end it. I can see your mind is set. But I have heard 100 Dj's that can mix better than Larry. My only point is I heard 100 Dj's that can mix better but were boring to a crowd. I don't judge an artist on his technical skill (there a way to many examples to prove that) I judge them on the effect they have on there intended audience. And I think we all have to agree Larry had a lasting effect on his audience. Pete even Jesus had his critics and look at the effect he had on his audience.

PETE'S NOTE:: Come On HIPPIE, you just compared Larry to Jesus? I can see YOUR MIND IS SET! All good though! I really loved Larry too!

Post subject: Agreed
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:58 pm 

Absolutely, I agree!
I've heard many DJs with phenominal mixing ability that were absolutely BORING; didn't take no chances; and they played a song ONLY because it mixed well.
That's crap! Many songs mixed well. That's no reason to play it. Let's face it, lots of DJs were amazed at themselves & their mixing.

I always thought that the song should speak for itself. Mixing & remixing a song was fun but not all the time. It's the MUSIC that creates the atmosphere. Ask David Mancuso of 'The Loft'---he only did ONE (1) mix a night; the rest of the night he just played music & the place ROCKED!!!!

PETE'S NOTE:: There is a difference between a song and "The Music" REMIXING can, does create excitement, it creates "atmosphere".

Post subject: FUNNY!!
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:23 am 

It is funny to me. You admit there is at least 100 better deejays, but...
There is always a but!?? No Ifs, ands or butts!! I know where you are coming from. Yet take what you guys said, then add to it, someone who does that on beat, it makes him better than LL. There were hundreds of those. I have seen, literally, thousands of deejays in my 35 years, more then just New York Area deejays too, and hired over 400 deejays world wide for LONDONTOWN, so my experience trumps yours!! Or does it?? Maybe you guys have heard them all?? And Jayski, if that boring comment was thrown my way, simply your opinion. I won't go any further, I love you too much! Tell you what, call the sets from today at TRH boring!

Post subject: CHERNA!
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:45 am 

Boys will be boys! I too loved Larry Levan. I went everywhere he went. I went for his music, not his mixing. That is a lie, I went because the clubs were great! You could have put DJ Chulo there, and it would still have been a great club. Larry played the latest music. But he sucked as a mixer. So my vote is split! You are both right! And as much as I hate to admit it, Pete is not a boring deejay. He jams. Listen to those "ranch house" mixes! And a very vast variety of music. I have heard all three of you spin, you all blew Larry Levan out of the water! But Larry was a Superstar none of you were!

PETE'S NOTE:: And you were doing so well, then you "blew" it at the end!

Post subject: Ha Ha Ha!
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:50 am 

Very Funny!! LOL

PETE'S NOTE:: I thought so, don't you get it.

Post subject: Not U Pete!
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:02 pm 

I was not speaking about you Pete; I was refering to many of the "all of a sudden" DJs that cropped up after the fact that thought they were good cause they could put beats per minute together.

Every RH set I've heard here were smokin!---and I am a MF critic!!! You know that!

Talk about judgemental--->I used to go in a club, and if I didn't like the 1st 2-3 songs he or she played I was out of there. Now in my old age I am much mellower. (I'll wait 30 mins)

PETE'S NOTE:: OKAY!!-- Plus, I know where you are coming from. LOVE & Peace!

Post subject: Re: CHERNA!
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:23 pm 

ELPATO Torres wrote:
Boys will be boys! I too loved Larry Levan. I went everywhere he went. I went for his music, not his mixing. That is a lie, I went because the clubs were great! You could have put DJ Chulo there, and it would still have been a great club. Larry played the latest music. But he sucked as a mixer. So my vote is split! You are both right! And as much as I hate to admit it, Pete is not a boring deejay. He jams. Listen to those "ranch house" mixes! And a very vast variety of music. I have heard all three of you spin, you all blew Larry Levan out of the water! But Larry was a Superstar none of you were!

Oye Pato: LOL. I was actually pretty much a star in Jersey. LOL not to toot my own horn but the last Billboard awards For Best DJ per state were Larry Levan for NY Hippie Torrales for NJ. LOL you are to funny to argue with with a name like Pato.

PETE'S NOTE:: And you were doing so well, then you "blew" it at the end!

Post subject: NEW MUSIC
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:06 am 

Larry Levan played NEW MUSIC before anyone else. If that is all that was needed to be a Superstar deejay, then he certainly was the best ever. But I have heard him in the Paradise Garage, And I agree with the majority here. There were many, many better deejays. I am not one of them. He was over-rated. Bill Kelly of The Copa in Fort Lauderdale was, is one of my personal favorites. Be was head and shoulders above Larry, you should have heard him. And he too, played the newest music available.He had his own record pool. Had stuff weeks, sometimes months ahead of everyone else. But he mixed great!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » CLUBS » Paradise Garage