Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers

Post subject: The Soap Factory in the House!!
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:32 pm 

Alan is in the House!! Boy Alan, I had a great time at The Soap Factory. Between The Boat and The Soap, it was a great time in my life. Alan, you got any pictures from those days? Congrats on your great position now. It must be nice!! Did you ever marry that girl you dated at The Soap Factory?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:15 pm 

DJ Ed Martin: I haven't heard about the club The Boat for a very, very long time until you just mentioned it. If I remember correctly (and I may not) I think DJ Johnny Tripp (also the DJ at the Brier Rabbit in Passaic or Totowa or somewhere up there) might have been the DJ at The Boat or it might have been The Worm from Binghampton's.

No, I did not marry the girl that I occasionally brought to The Soap Factory when I was spinning. She was my girlfriend through college and a few years thereafter but we never did get married. I am married now(once) and have a 13 year old son.

You know it is really sad, but I have almost no pictures or memorabilia from those times. I wish they had digital cameras back then. Imagine all of the great pictures we would all have if that technology existed back then. I have some items and a few pictures of myself "spinning" that people took and then gave me (boy do I look different!). I am not sure if you remember that the Garden State Record Pool put on the WoodStock of Disco 1 and then the next year put on the WoodStock of Disco 2 and in each case there were like 10 top name DJ's (I was the headliner, lol) and a lot of emerging artists that the record companies were trying to break that played at the event and it drew attendance from throughout the tri state area as well as the Philly area. Anyway it was like a 2 day deal and somehow I kept one of the posters that advertised WoodStock of Disco 2 which was in 1978 (I think) and I have kept it in pristine condition (I actually have it framed). It brings back fond memories every time I see it. Maybe I can take a digital photo of the poster as it might interest some people on this site. But I do still have my records! Since I was on most labels direct mailing lists and because I was a BillBoard and WKTU reporter I have some real rare gems! You should see some of the original 45's I have because when I first started spinning it was only 45's and LP's.

Did you ever get to Creation on Sunday night or the Meadowbrook on Friday or Saturday? In my opinion they were two of the top clubs in New Jersey during the early years. Also I think that George Rodriguez who started the Garden State Record Pool doesn't get enough attention and recognition. I am not sure if it is fact, but I am pretty sure that he started the second record pool in the country not long after "For the Record" record pool was established in NYC.

It is great to touch base with you all.

Alan

Soap Factory, Dimples,
Chicago, Dante's Inferno,
Club Bene, The Palace + Others

Post subject: Johnny Tripp!!
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:18 pm 

Alan,
You reminded me of Johnny Tripp and the Brier Rabbit(in Passaic). Johnny was the other deejay with me at the top floor of BINGHAMPTON'S FERRY BOAT, affectionately remembered as THE BOAT!! I actually got my job at BINGHAMPTON'S because Johnny was working full time at Brier Rabbit, and he is the one who brought me in, but I had forgotten his name. I can't remember everything!!-- If you checkout the site, there is a section on CLUBS. Go there, then click where it says "other U.S.Clubs", and you will see BINGHAMPTON'S FERRY BOAT. With pictures!! And in the Forum Section, under OTHER U.S. CLUBS, find an article called 1978:THE NIGHT MY DISCO DIED- That is about the LAST night of the Disco at THE BOAT. It tells the story of the riot that destroyed BINGHAMPTON'S.---- Now, I think all of us former Jersey Boys, and there are a few of us here, all went to CREATIONS & THE MEADOWBROOK sooner or later. It was part of growing up in North Jersey. You had to go to those clubs!! Mandatory!! I liked CAMEO too. That was another. Do you remember, the IMPERIAL MANOR off the highway near ALEXANDER's and before the George Washington Bridge!! That TOO was a hot spot for a while.--- Great times huh!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:52 am 

Pete: OMG you remember everything. The Cameo with DJ Little Carlos, that little sucker could play them 45's! I remember and have been to every club you mentioned and knew every one of the DJ's.

If you knew Johnny Tripp then you also probably knew The Worm whose real name was Eddie Rosenbaum or something like that.

You certainlly were there in the early days!

Soap Factory, Dimples,

Post subject: Eddie "The Worm" Rothstein!!
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:17 am 

THE WORM!! He would play 300 songs to our 100. Short quick songs and mixes!! That was THE WORM!! An electric sort of fellow, extremely nervous!! But he sure could CUT mix couldn't he, always on beat. The last night of THE BOAT, he lost all his equipment. It was thrown into the Hudson River by the rioters! He was devastated! I am not sure he ever recovered. So what happened to him, anyone know?? Las I heard from him, was his DECADE CHART in 1980. Remember, he would print out a weekly top 25 sheet that he would hand out to everyone who wanted one. His NUMBER ONE song of the 70's, according to his well kept logs, was SHAME by Evelyn"Champagne" King. I learned from him how to mix QUICKLY! To pick up the beat, and go! What a guy!!--- THE CAMEO with the rock UPSTAIRS, and the DISCO downstairs! Great Times. HOUSE BAND??? CALHOON!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:30 am 

Pete: I went to the clubs section and sure enough there he was. You gave the Worm full credit for being the DJ at Binghamptons. I actually knew Johnny Tripp (short for Tripota) and the Worm quite well. We used to go to 99 Prince Street in NYC to pick up records together before the Garden State Rccord Pool started, Were you a member of the GSRP?

Also in the clubs section I saw the description of Club Zanzibar and you are correct in that it started as Abe's Disco. I also was really good friends with Hippie Torrales. I remember him to be one of the smoothest "blenders" in the business.

Also in that section Barry Lederer made reference to a club he did called The Saint in NYC. It was predominantly a gay club but I remember it being the the absolute "shit" during its time. Between that and the Garage I cannot remember two better clubs in NYC. I also knew John"Jellybean" Benitez pretty well and most don't know that he had a thing going with Madonna before she became really big...at least as I remember it!

Soap Factory, Dimples,

Post subject: Did you see...
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:51 am 

Did you see the pictures of the boat? Great aren't they!! DJ Chulo was always out in Jersey clubs. He remembers you real well too. The WORM was the main deejay, downstairs. Tripp was upstairs until I replaced him, then he only worked 1 night at The Boat. ----- I was a member of THE POCONO record Pool. And all the labels sent me product. The A&R guys used to come by The Copacabana and give me stuff too. And, remember on Main Street in Hackensack, THE RECORD SHACK?? I was taught by Jimmy Burgess and by many others I watched. Ray"Pinky" Velasquez is on this site too.--- So what ever happened to THE WORM??

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:55 am 

Alan Gohlke wrote:
I also knew John"Jellybean" Benitez pretty well and most don't know that he had a thing going with Madonna before she became really big...at least as I remember it!

I remember "someone" told me that Madonna gave Jellybean a "BJ" to play her cassete tape while at a club. JB did play it and the rest is history.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:58 am 

You know I am going to have to take some time to really look at this website. Here I think I am making a really little known thing about Jellybean and Madonna and you already have it all in his bio? I make a comment about The Saint and there is a description of it in the Clubs section. Anyway at least I was able to speak of these things before finding out that everything is already here on this site!!! I also really was there during these times.

I saw your PM, it will take some time to do it. I only had a chance to look at Jellybean's bio and it makes me not even want to attempt mine as it would not look one one hundreth as good!

You know I have to also give you some respect (other than all you have already written here on this site) because I remember Binghampton's very well and it was a really good club! I wish I could have had a chance to hear you spin in NYC. I would have definitely come up and said hello and introduced myself.

Soap Factory, Dimples,

Post subject: Madonna & Jellybean
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:58 am 

Madonna & Jellybean was not a secret. Everyone knew, I heard about it down here in Miami. I just wish it had been me!!

Post subject: Alan!!
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:10 am 

You may not remember me, but The Guidos and Vitos who really owned everything, once asked me about you. I told them to hire you! I came up to you once at MEADOWBROOK, but there is no way you would remember that. Maybe after you see my picture on this site you might say,"you look familiar", it will be up soon, I hope. As for making you look good next to Jellybean. My friend, you were better in a club then he was. I saw him in TOWNHOUSE 48, he was nothing special. He made great records. I love them all. But in a club, he wasn't as good as many others. I am from the NYC wasn't the best, school. Many other cities had great deejays. The big clubs in The City, it was difficult to get in. Had to be friends with someone. That is how I got started in 73 at The Copa! Some GOODFELLAS got me the gig! Fear not, send me all your stuff, WE will make it look SPECTACULAR!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:17 am 

I am smiling a really big smile! You are too funny.

Soap Factory, Dimples,

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:57 am 

Alan Gohlke wrote:
Pete: I went to the clubs section and sure enough there he was. You gave the Worm full credit for being the DJ at Binghamptons. I actually knew Johnny Tripp (short for Tripota) and the Worm quite well. We used to go to 99 Prince Street in NYC to pick up records together before the Garden State Rccord Pool started, Were you a member of the GSRP?

Also in the clubs section I saw the description of Club Zanzibar and you are correct in that it started as Abe's Disco. I also was really good friends with Hippie Torrales. I remember him to be one of the smoothest "blenders" in the business.

Also in that section Barry Lederer made reference to a club he did called The Saint in NYC. It was predominantly a gay club but I remember it being the the absolute "shit" during its time. Between that and the Garage I cannot remember two better clubs in NYC. I also knew John"Jellybean" Benitez pretty well and most don't know that he had a thing going with Madonna before she became really big...at least as I remember it!

Hey Alan: Long time. Thx for the kind words. I'm living in Florida now and still Dj. I travel overseas mostly. I also have an internet radio show on Tuesdays from (10AM till 1PM) on cyberjamz.com. Please come by one Tuesday and join the chatroom. Lot's of old club headz hang in there. I also have an album coming out soon so you see I'm still busy. LOL. My show consist of new club music but I will throw an occasional classic in there. Almost forgot if you can't make the show on Tuesdays I just set up my podcast page here: http://hippietorrales.podOmatic.com. Just started it so I have some of the new shows up but I have one classic mix in there I will try to put a classic mix once a month. Alan I just did The Lincoln Park Festival in Newark at the end of July. Was good to play in front of 10,000 old Zanzibar and Docks headz. Great event every year. Hope to talk to you soon.

Peace, Hippie

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:30 pm 

Hippie: How great to hear from you. I am so happy that you are doing well and still in the business. Not many people will remember George Rodriguez (GSRP) and Skippy, Dave and Tim, and Flamingo Joe and all the rest from the early days of the GSRP. I will absolutely check out the internet radio show next Tuesday (even though I will be at work!) and join the chat room and I will check out your podcast as soon as I get off of this site.

I said you were one of the smoothest blenders I knew, truth be told you were the best mixing DJ in New Jersey (at least) bar none! I also remember that you were the first of "our group" to do a real released re-mix. Although I don't remember the name right now I remember it was a female artist and it had religious overtones and was a very smooth mix that worked well in the clubs. I know I still have that record in my collection somewhere.

Can you tell me anything about George or Skip? Are you anywhere near where Pete Denis is in Florida?

Soap Factory, Dimples,

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:05 pm 

Hey Alan I'm in the Orlando area. George I talked to recently on the phone but haven't seen him and the # changed. Hector I talk to sometimes and Joe from Music Village I talk to (he's closing Music Village in November retiring to PR). Oh the record you're remembering is You Brought The Sunshine by The Clark Sisters. Talk 2 U on Tuesday.

Good Hearing from you, Hippie

http://myspace.com/hippietorrales

http://hippietorrales.podOmatic.com

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers