Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Music

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62
 Post subject: Re: Song Of The Day
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:32 am 

Great tracks Steven...
Thanks for posting!

Post Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:38 pm 

It think it is only fitting that our Song Of The Day should come from a wonderful soul/funk diva who sadly passed yesterday at such an early age!...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rQN8zHZMAQ

R&B singer Teena Marie, best known for her 1980s hits "Lovergirl," "Ooo La La La" and "Lead Me On," died in her sleep last night of unknown causes in her Los Angeles home. She was 54.

Marie's debut LP, 1979's Wild and Peaceful, was written with her mentor Rick James, who dueted with Marie on her breakthrough single "I'm A Sucker For Your Love." Motown, who rarely signed white artists, didn't put her photo on the cover — leading to a longstanding belief that Marie was actually black.

Mary Christine Brockert was born in Santa Monica and began performing at a very young age, appearing as a tap dancer an episode of the Beverly Hillbillies when she was only eight years old. Marie was signed to Motown by Berry Gordy when she was 19, though no music was released for nearly three years while they figured out what kind of material to give her. "One day [Rick James] was walking down the hall and I was sitting in Stevie Wonder's office," Marie recalled in a 2009 interview. "I would always be in there playing his piano and singing. Rick popped his head in there and we started having a conversation and after that we just became really close friends."

James contributed much to Marie's disco-infused debut album, though they rarely worked together in the ensuing years. Marie released three more albums for Motown, but in 1982 she got into a legal battle with the label. In the end she won a landmark lawsuit that declared it illegal for labels to keep artists under contract while refusing to release their work. It became known as the "Brockert Initiative," after Marie's real name. "It wasn't something I set out to do," she told the Los Angeles Times in 2004. "I just wanted to get away from Motown and have a good life. But it helped a lot of people, like Luther Vandross and the Mary Jane Girls and a lot of different artists, to be able to get out of their contracts."

After the lawsuit Marie signed to Epic, and released a series of R&B hits including "Ooo La La La," "Work It," "Here's Looking At You" and "Lovergirl" (watch Marie's 1985 performance above), which hit Number Nine on the Billboard Hot 100. She took a long break in the 1990s to raise her children daughter, but in 2004 she re-emerged with the album La Dona, which was released on Cash Money and featured contributions by Common, Birdman, Gerard Levert and Rick James. It was James' final recording before his death.

Teena Marie's most recent release was 2009's Congo Square. She continued to tour until shortly before her sudden death

Post Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:47 pm 

The Brothers - Last Chance To Dance (1976)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pukOuT9tq8

Genius nostalgic track!

Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:23 pm 

i love life for rent best

Post subject: Re: Man!!
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:28 pm 

You getting tricky on me. Next time, instead of removing the song, just add the new one to the text. We will watch it grow. Keep all the songs on this thread. That way if someone wants to talk about one you listed days earlier, they can.--- Now for KLEEER -- I played this and other cuts too. It was strong, and while not a HIT, it was good on the dance floor and better on my ears!! This is a good choice!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:26 pm 

Eldora wrote:
i love life for rent best

Hi Eldora....welcome to the forum..
The object of this thread is to post a song via either a video link or a download link. The song can be from any genre and can be accompanied by any background information. This will hopeflly lead to further discussions with fellow members. Hopes this help and we look forward to more of your contributions..

Regards

Soul-Boy

Post subject: Re: Man!!
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:29 pm 

Candice3 wrote:
You getting tricky on me. Next time, instead of removing the song, just add the new one to the text. We will watch it grow. Keep all the songs on this thread. That way if someone wants to talk about one you listed days earlier, they can.--- Now for KLEEER -- I played this and other cuts too. It was strong, and while not a HIT, it was good on the dance floor and better on my ears!! This is a good choice!

Hi Candice, a warm welcome to the site...

What particular Kleeer track are you talking about? You could copy and paste the youtube link to show us all, so we could comment..

Regards

Soul-Boy

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:38 pm 

SAD ABOUT TEENA:(:(:(:(:(

THANKS FOR THE WONDERFUL BIO MIKEY!!!!!

POOCH

Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:15 pm 

Warming up for the weekend with this one :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u3q7EBCC10

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:02 am 

Although I know this song, I never played my cell phone in any IT concerts. And do not forget that it is playing anywhere. But it certainly sounds good. I think I missed this one. By the way, I love this theme!

Attachments:
shocked.gif
shocked.gif [ 2.13 KiB | Viewed 4181 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62

Board index » DISCO » Music