Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Remember this ?

Post subject: LE COLLECTOR??
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:06 pm 

I have a question, a bit strange one. All my knowledge of searching the web didn't help me with this one, not even discogs.com. I'll try my luck here.

Somewhere around 1989 (I was a kid) I saw something on TV. It was morning or early afternoon, on the state television in former Yugoslavia. I don't know what I saw. It was like... some kind of the light show, laser light show. I remember colors on the black backdrop, yellow, red, green... thin, straight lines, like lasers or lightsabers. Music was playing, electronic, but I don't know which type, I knew nothing about music then. I remember being mesmerized by the music and by that laser light show. I've never heard or seen anything like it before. I think it was something ambiental, but I'm not sure. I could be something like late 70's Moroder stuff, or maybe even Vangelis-like, or even like pioneering Perrey-Kingsley stuff. I think it wasn't techno, it was more melodic than agressive, it had synth sound. It could be some kind of electro, trance, house, or some electronic "space disco"... I don't know really, I just have VERY blurry memories of it. I remember there was no people, no voices, no stage, probably even no objects at all. Just colors on the black. It lasted for a couple of minutes, I think I didn't catch the beginning. And at the end, letters showed up - LE COLLECTOR, or LA COLECTOR, or some variant of that.
No-one else saw it, nobody knew what I was talking about when I later asked people about it. Every once in a while I remember it, and I would REALLY love to know what was that I saw as a kid.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Sorry if I bother you. :wink:

If I could wish anything I want to come true, but only one thing - I wouldn't wish for all the money in the world or perfect health or world peace. I would wish to go back in time before I was born, in the 70's, in New York, to dance in DISCO era.

Post subject: Re: LE COLLECTOR??
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:50 am 

Disco54 wrote:
I have a question, a bit strange one. All my knowledge of searching the web didn't help me with this one, not even discogs.com. I'll try my luck here.

Somewhere around 1989 (I was a kid) I saw something on TV. It was morning or early afternoon, on the state television in former Yugoslavia. I don't know what I saw. It was like... some kind of the light show, laser light show. I remember colors on the black backdrop, yellow, red, green... thin, straight lines, like lasers or lightsabers. Music was playing, electronic, but I don't know which type, I knew nothing about music then. I remember being mesmerized by the music and by that laser light show. I've never heard or seen anything like it before. I think it was something ambiental, but I'm not sure. I could be something like late 70's Moroder stuff, or maybe even Vangelis-like, or even like pioneering Perrey-Kingsley stuff. I think it wasn't techno, it was more melodic than agressive, it had synth sound. It could be some kind of electro, trance, house, or some electronic "space disco"... I don't know really, I just have VERY blurry memories of it. I remember there was no people, no voices, no stage, probably even no objects at all. Just colors on the black. It lasted for a couple of minutes, I think I didn't catch the beginning. And at the end, letters showed up - LE COLLECTOR, or LA COLECTOR, or some variant of that.
No-one else saw it, nobody knew what I was talking about when I later asked people about it. Every once in a while I remember it, and I would REALLY love to know what was that I saw as a kid.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Sorry if I bother you. :wink:

Lol! I have no idea disco54.
Maybe too much red cordial when you were a kid. :P
At first I thought you were talking about a performance by french artist Jean Michael Jarre that was performed in Houston, Texas in 1986, but that featured a live band with lasers projected onto the citys skyline.
Worth seeking out.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:03 pm 

Thanks, I will seek it out, maybe I'll like it, and who knows maybe it will be what I'm looking for. :) After 20 years or so, it's hard to have a clear memory of scene from tv...

If I could wish anything I want to come true, but only one thing - I wouldn't wish for all the money in the world or perfect health or world peace. I would wish to go back in time before I was born, in the 70's, in New York, to dance in DISCO era.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:18 pm 
Site Admin

Disco54,

I wish you best of luck... Memories from stuff some 20 years ago can be a bit blurry (both with or without alcohol)...
But I think Pflext's suggestion of JMJ sounds in line with what you described and that's the kind of stuff he would do. Specially if the text said something like 'Le Collector' (as this is French and he's from France). Give it a try - that's probably the best suggestion!

Good luck and I hope you'll find what you've been looking for for so long !

// Discoguy

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:45 pm 

Thanks!
I'm watching that Jarre performance from 1986! I don't think it's the footage I've seen 20 years ago, because I don't remember seeing people. But still - it could be that. This is the closest thing to that memory of mine I've ever seen. :D And even if it isn't, it's interesting enough to see it. So, in any case - thanks a lot for great suggestion!
If anyone have any other idea what that mysteriuos show could be, please don't hesitate to drop a word here, even in a few years from now. :wink:

By the way, I'm not really familiar with Jarre (Vangelis and Kraftwerk are my kind of fruit), but I like this 1986 Houston show. I also found his Lyon 1986 show.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:35 pm 

This is the wonderful video - Jarre in Houston. Thank you for letting me know about it. I'll become Jarre fan, I can feel it. I never thought he's music/performance is so exciting.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:44 am 

It's been awhile since I've been on this site - HELLO to all.

In regards to your inquiry, I think the video you are searching for is The Collector "Le Colloctor" by Cerrone done in 1985. I believe this vedio clip is avaliable on "Cerrone Culture" the complete video anthology.

:)

Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:17 am 
Site Admin

Welcome back rmenpark :D

You make a great "comeback" by (hopefully) answering this question of Disco54's...
This sound like it's it !

THANKS and be around !

// Discoguy

Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:30 am 

rmenpark wrote:

In regards to your inquiry, I think the video you are searching for is The Collector "Le Colloctor" by Cerrone done in 1985. I believe this vedio clip is avaliable on "Cerrone Culture" the complete video anthology.

Nice to see you here menpark and a warm welcome!

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:35 am 

rmenpark wrote:

OH - MY - GOD

After all these years...

thank you, thank you, thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnAc10zoTWY

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:58 am 

What a night...

First, I was a DJ tonight again, for the first time after 4 years!!!! I played original 70's disco (with just a bit of 80's synth pop) in "Hemingway", one of the best/biggest clubs in my town (Split, Croatia). Not only that it was my comeback, but it was the first (original) disco party after 4 years in Split. You can guess that last party of that kind was also made by me. :wink: I played ABBA, Baccara, Blondie, Bobby "O", Boney M., Bonnie Tyler, Carl Douglas, Chic, Chicago, Diana Ross, Donna Summer, Giorgio Moroder, Grace Jones, Irene Cara, KC & The Sunshine Band, Kool & The Gang, M.F.S.B., Michael Jackson, Michael Sembello, Ottawan, Silver Convention, Sister Sledge, The Jackson 5, Village People and more. :mrgreen: There wasn't much people, but this is just the first party, in 3 weeks I'll have another, and then another. 8) We'll see then is there enough interest for disco. Oh, and they payed me top-money although I wasn't active for 4 years!

Secondly, the same guy who booked me, also agreed to book FIJI!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1107
For two years I'm trying to find a way to bring that fantastic Swiss group to Croatia. I'm very happy now. :D :mrgreen:

Thirdly, I came home, and saw on internet that first two MUNICH MACHINE albums are finally released on CD! Woo-hoo! I was so excited, I ordered them both immediatelly. (Actually, they are released last year, but I wasn't aware of that until tonight.) :D :D

And finally, after ordering the CDs, I came here, after many months. I wanted to share with you the news about return of disco in Split, Croatia. And then I saw this post by rmenpark.
There must be something in the air tonight...
DISCO FEVER...??? :D :mrgreen: :wink:

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:59 am 
Site Admin

Great news Disco54,

Happy to hear all your dreams came true in one night...
Great to see you back again and best of luck with your Disco DJ nights.

// Discoguy

Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:43 pm 

Thank you Discoguy,
I'll let you know what will become of disco nights in Split.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:32 pm 

Well here I am again, after a long absense. Glad I was about to help in your search for that video clip.

Good luck with your DJ'ing gigs!!!

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:59 am 

rmenpark wrote:
Well here I am again, after a long absense. Glad I was about to help in your search for that video clip.

Good luck with your DJ'ing gigs!!!

:D
Thanks again!
I find it funny (funky) that I wrote back then: "If anyone have any other idea what that mysteriuos show could be, please don't hesitate to drop a word here, even in a few years from now." ... and you replied 1 year, 5 hours and 59 minutes later - with correct answer. :!: :mrgreen: :wink:

Unfortunately, my gigs ungloriously ended due to the lack of interest for 70's disco. :( :roll:
But we are working on bringing Fiji to Croatia - and that is planned for October. :)

Here's a photo of me from 2006 playing 70's disco to 2000 people:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/moj-foto-a ... 12/sizes/o

Cheers 8)

Board index » DISCO » Remember this ?