Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Music

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next
 Post subject: Re: Song Of The Day
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:06 pm 

It's funny how two like minded people could have such contrasting opinions on Mr Diddy.
I have never been drawn to any of his music from day one. Yes he would drop lot's of disco samples in his productions but it came across to poppy for my liking. Even his early days sounded whack to me....When he started rappin' himself...Holy Shit!...don't get me started on that one brother!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:28 pm 

Yea, when he started rapping, he was DONE.

But those early days!!!!!
Whoa!!!
Craig Mack's "Flava In Ya Ear" or Biggy's "Juicy" or "Warning"
STILL FUNKY - STILL gets me goin!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-MLp3l2fkA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ToQbI4CDTk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKrVMzZqtR8

"Damn, Niggas wanna stick me for my paper"

Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:57 am 

i happy to know that they like their links.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:47 am 

Time for something mellow from the early 90's....

Massive Attack - "Unfinished Sympathy (1991)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWmrfgj0MZI&ob=av3e

The pioneering force behind the rise of trip-hop, Massive Attack were among the most innovative and influential groups of their generation; their hypnotic sound -- a darkly sensual and cinematic fusion of hip-hop rhythms, soulful melodies, dub grooves, and choice samples -- set the pace for much of the dance music to emerge throughout the 1990s, paving the way for such acclaimed artists as Portishead, Sneaker Pimps, Beth Orton, and Tricky, himself a Massive Attack alumnus. Their history dates back to 1983 and the formation of the Wild Bunch, one of the earliest and most successful sound system/DJ collectives to arrive on the U.K. music scene; renowned for their seamless integration of a wide range of musical styles, from punk to reggae to R&B, the group's parties quickly became can't-miss events for the Bristol club crowd, and at the peak of their popularity they drew crowds so enormous that the local live music scene essentially ground to a halt.

When the Wild Bunch folded during the mid-'80s, two of its members -- Andrew "Mushroom" Vowles and Grant "Daddy G" Marshall -- teamed with local graffiti artist 3D (born Robert del Naja) to form Massive Attack in 1987; another Wild Bunch alum, Nellee Hooper, split his time between the new group and his other project, Soul II Soul. The group's first single, "Daydreaming," appeared in 1990; it featured the sultry vocals of singer Shara Nelson and raps by Tricky, another onetime Wild Bunch collaborator. The classic "Unfinished Sympathy" followed, as did another compelling effort, "Safe from Harm." Finally, in 1991 Massive Attack issued their debut LP, Blue Lines; while by no means a huge commercial success, the record was met with major critical praise, and was dubbed an instant classic in many quarters. Nelson, featured on many of the album's most memorable tracks, exited for a solo career soon after, and the group then confusingly changed its name to simply "Massive" to avoid any implication of approval for the U.N.'s policy toward Iraq; in the wake of the disastrous U.S. tour that followed, many were quick to write the band off right then and there.

After a three-year layoff, Massive Attack -- their full name now properly reinstated -- resurfaced with Protection; again working with Hooper and Tricky, they also brought into the fold vocalist Nicolette, as well as Everything But the Girl's Tracey Thorn. Three singles -- "Karmacoma," "Sly," and the title track -- were released from the LP, which was also remixed in its entirety by Mad Professor and issued as No Protection. A lengthy tour followed, and over the next several years, Massive Attack's solo work was primarily confined to remixes for artists including Garbage; they also worked with Madonna on a track for a Marvin Gaye tribute album. Finally, to promote their appearance at the annual Glastonbury music festival, the group issued a new EP, Risingson, during the summer of 1997. The third full-length Massive Attack effort, Mezzanine, appeared in mid-1998; in addition to reggae singer Horace Andy, making his third consecutive LP appearance with the group, vocal chores were handled by the Cocteau Twins' Elizabeth Fraser and newcomer Sara Jay. Mezzanine became a cult hit among critics, clubs, and the college crowds, spinning successful singles such as "Teardrop" and "Inertia Creeps." A tour of America and Europe followed, but Vowles left the band after disagreeing with the artistic direction of Mezzanine. Del Naja and Marshall continued as a duo, later working with the likes of David Bowie and the Dandy Warhols, but Marshall later took a leave of absence to raise his family; producer Neil Davidge took up the slack.

In February 2003, after a five-year wait, Massive Attack released their fourth album, 100th Window, including collaborations with mainstay Horace Andy as well as Sinéad O'Connor. Danny the Dog, released in 2004, marked the group's entry into film score work and, perhaps unsurprisingly, often sounded much more like incidental background music than a typical Massive Attack release. From there, Del Naja and Davidge scored a handful of other films -- In Prison My Whole Life, Battle in Seattle, and Trouble the Water, for which they earned an Oscar nomination -- but their work was credited to their real names or the pseudonym 100 Suns rather than Massive Attack. The fifth Massive Attack album, Heligoland, released in 2010, featured collaborations with Horace Andy, TV on the Radio's Tunde Adebimpe, Elbow's Guy Garvey, and Martina Topley-Bird.

Post subject: Re: Good one Today!!
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:39 am 

DJ Ed Martin wrote:
MAN!! This is a good one today. I remember this song well, it was a GROOVE. It was played in most DISCOS, and It was played at all my mobile gigs. So you did hit a HOME RUN!! Ray Parker wrote GHOSTBUSTERS on an elevator ride!! Simple song, but still, AN ELEVATOR RIDE! Good one MAN!

i have heard this song many times and there are many clubs mixes that are simply best. I listen to many songs but, Akon is really good to listen and other than this, there are some other artists also.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:14 am 
Site Admin

Soul-Boy wrote:

Soul-Boy,

This is one of the greatest songs - EVER !
And the video with its "all-in-one-take" shot is just marvelous !
Had some problems with the link - so I'm including another one is someone else experience the same troubles I did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePujnD4qJO0

Wow - I still enjoy this - just BRILLIANT !

// Discoguy

Post Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:29 pm 

Discoguy wrote:
Soul-Boy wrote:

Soul-Boy,

This is one of the greatest songs - EVER !
And the video with its "all-in-one-take" shot is just marvelous !
Had some problems with the link - so I'm including another one is someone else experience the same troubles I did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePujnD4qJO0

Wow - I still enjoy this - just BRILLIANT !

// Discoguy

This link is working and I listen to this track and it is awesome no doubt, I am waiting for some more tracks.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:49 pm 

My offering for Song Of THe Day.....Enjoy!

Nicolette Larson spent her childhood on the move, her father's U.S. Treasury job taking them all across the country: kindergarten in St. Louis; first and second grade outside of Boston; half of third grade in Alexandria, Virginia; the rest of third and fourth in Birmingham, Alabama; fifth grade in Portland, Oregon; and then the Larsons - of Norwegian, Irish and Welsh descent - finally settled in Kansas City, Missouri.

A girl who would sing at the dinner table, Nicolette grew up listening to the radio of the mid- and late-'60s: the Beatles, the Rolling Stones. Her only formal training was in chorus class at Bishop Hogan, a Co-ed Catholic High School. Her days there were relatively quiet and non-participatory - no cheerleader tryouts, no campaign for student president. "I didn't care," she recalls. "I wasn't that groovy in high school, I wasn't that popular. I mean, I wasn't the dog, I wasn't the one in class that nobody would sit next to, but I wasn't comfortable in High School either."

After a summer visit to San Francisco in 1973, staying with a friend who worked the lights at a Berkeley music club, Nicolette decided to move to the Bay Area. In 1974, after a few singing stints in local Kansas City bands, a number of secretarial and waitressing jobs and a year at the University of Missouri, Nicolette bought her ticket West. Her father, Bob Larson, recalls his displeasure over his daughter's decision: " I thought the odds were astronomical against her breaking into that business and I discouraged her at every opportunity."

In San Francisco, Nicolette worked in a record store and auditioned at clubs and coffee houses. Another job, as production secretary for the Golden State Country Bluegrass Festival, brought her into direct contact with local artists, and she joined David Nichtern & the Nocturnes.

In early 1975, Nicolette moved south to Los Angeles. A short-lived marriage to Hank DeVito, the pedal steel guitarist in Emmylou Harris' band, introduced her to Emmy and Her husband/producer, Brian Ahern. This association in turn drew her into the L.A. brood, the ruling elite of rock 'n roll. Studio chores and mutual acquaintances brought her together with Linda Ronstadt, who remained a steadfast friend.

Neil Young had strolled down from his own beachside home one evening to Linda's Malibu colony house to play her some songs for his new album. Recommendations from Emmylou and Brian earlier in the day had already brought Nicolette to his attention, and, as Linda and Nicolette sat before the fire improvising harmonies, the duo seemed a natural. Thus were forged the Bullets - Linda and Nicolette - Young's backup team extraordinaire on American stars 'n Bars. Almost a year later, a phone call came from Young asking Nicolette to come to Nashville and add harmonies to his new record, Comes a Time.

As well as Neil Young, Nicolette has sung on records for Hoyt Axton, Commander Cody, Gary Stewart, Jesse Colin Young, Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt, The Doobie Brothers, Jesse Winchester, and many others. Nicolette did a tour with Axton, after which she joined Commander Cody's first post-Lost Planet Airmen unit. Her roadwork with the New Commander Cody Band, which featured Larson solos on four or five songs per set, brought her to the attention of Arista Records' President Clive Davis. Davis began making overtures, other companies put in their bids, and then Warner Bros. made it's serious offer. Thus was born Nicolette's first solo album, Nicolette, which included the smash hit Lotta Love, penned by Neil Young.

Nicolette went on to produce 4 more critically acclaimed albums under the Warner label, Bring Back the Stroll (A live recording of a concert at the Roxy), In the Nick of Time, Radioland, and All Dressed Up and No Place To Go.

"I practically grew up with the people at Warners," Nicolette said of that association. "But, the thing that most people don't realize is that I was originally signed to them as a country artist and that it was only after 'Lotta Love' took off the way that it did that they decided to take me in the direction they did."

By the time her contract was up with Warner, Nicolette wanted the opportunity to refigure her musical stance. A part in the travelling company of Pump Boys and Dinettes gave her a chance to further develop her vocal abilities - it also offered a much needed break from the Los Angeles music industry.

After the show closed in Nashville, Nicolette took the chance to see how business was done in Music City. The opportunity to get together with MCA came up and Nicolette knew it was the right move. She said upon the release of her first album with MCA, Say When, "I think what I'm doing now is what I do best." Say When was an electric country offering which was very similar in style to Nicolette's first self-titled album with Warner. Say When earned her an Academy of Country Music "Best New Female Vocalist" Award. Nicolette's second album with MCA, Rose of My Heart, was even more country in style. The album featured tracks penned by Nicolette, "When you get a little lonely" co-written with Wendy Waldman and Josh Leo, and "Captured by Love" which she wrote on her own. The album produced a Top 10 Country Hit, a duet with Steve Warner called "That's How You Know When Love's Right".

Like Linda Ronstadt, Nicolette was not known for writing her own material, as a result she was very aware of the need to validate her art in a world where many artists did write their own material. She once said, "I try to translate whatever I'm feeling into the song - that's the wonder of singing for me. If I'm depressed or sad or happy, I can put that into the song, so it's like a catharsis for me because it translates... As a singer, especially because I'm not really a songwriter, I have to make those words mine and make the listener feel as if I wrote them".

In 1988, and after Nicolette's contract with MCA ended, she went on to record for CGD, an Italian based music company. The result was Shadows of Love, which found Nicolette returning, in part, to the pop/rock style. The album included tracks co-written by Nicolette, "Love's Light" and "Let Me Be The One". What is unusual about the album is that though the music was recorded in Italy, Nicolette's voice recordings were done at the Steama Studios in California L.A.

1988 also saw Nicolette appear in the movie Twins as a cabaret singer performing the song "I'd Die for this Dance".

In 1990 Nicolette married renowned drummer Russell Kunkel and gave birth later that year to their daughter, Elsie May. This event inspired the recording of the children's lullaby album, "Sleep Baby, Sleep", for Sony, released in 1994. Nicolette said that she realized the need for that type of music when she couldn't find any that was quiet and peaceful enough, "At first, I was only thinking of newborns - so fragile and restless in their new world. But, when Elsie May needed some medical assistance for the first couple of weeks of her life, I sat down and began to write something myself".

Nicolette continued to tour and record in the 1990's, and during this time she also made her acting debut on television in the sitcom, Throb.

Sadly, Nicolette passed away in December of 1997 due to complications from a cerebral edema.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/tm3q7d

Post Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:40 pm 
Site Admin

THANK YOU Soul-Boy,

Great bio - I din't know anything about Nicolette prior to this (except for this Great and sometimes overlooked track).
I think her voice is awesome, a bit like
Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac.
Never realized Neil Young wrote this track.
We need to add that Jim Burgess was the remixer of this track...

THANKS FOR reminding me about this one !!!
PLAYIN' IT LOUD !!!

// Discoguy

Post Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:04 pm 

I GAVE THIS A FEW SPINS BACK IN THE DAY..DID NOT REALLY GRAB PEOPLE. I ENDED UP USING IT EARLY IN THE NIGHT FOR AWHILE. SHE DOES HAVE A GREAT VOICE, BUT I THINK THE TUNE JUST DID NOT HAVE ENOUGH UMF..
JUST MY OPINION, I COULD BE WRONG....

GREAT BIO AS ALWAYS FROM THE SOULBOY!!!!!!!!!!!

POOCH

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:29 pm 

Here is a wonderfull mix of a classic song ....never mind Song Of The Day...this has been my Song Of The Week...

Jean Carne -"Was That All It Was" (Pied Piper Special Mix)

http://soundcloud.com/piedpiper/jean-ca ... pecial-mix

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:04 am 
Site Admin

Now THAT's a Classic !!!

Great remix by Pied Piper... Thanks for sharing, a friend of yours ??
Saw he had also made a remix of Love De Luxe "Here Comes That Sound" - have to listen to it after I have listened to Jean a few times more... :D

// Discoguy

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:23 am 
Site Admin

Jay,

Seems Pied Piper is a friend of yours...
Any chance to get download links for his work ?? (Some has reached the full limit at SoundCloud already)

Disco-on !

// Discoguy

Post Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:45 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzACjtsH6oE

The Sweeter He Is/ The Soul Children 1969

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp2jjkU8NGs

Time/Jackie Moore 1972

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40JmTb6Wx-0

Loving You Is Killing Me/ Moment Of Truth 1976

I am fortunate enough to have come across 1000's of 45's from the early 1970's and gradually I am converting them to mp3....I hope you all like...StevenB

Post Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:55 am 

Some great songs here!!!!Thank you Steven!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next

Board index » DISCO » Music