Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Music

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next
 Post subject: Re: Song Of The Day
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:34 pm 

Back at cha with something from the UK

Shakatak - "Down On The Street (Extended 1984)

British jazz-funk combo Shakatak formed in London in 1980; originally comprising keyboardists Bill Sharpe and Nigel Wright, guitarist Keith Winter, bassist Steve Underwood and drummer Roger Odell, the group quickly scored an underground hit with its debut single "Steppin'," cracking the British Top 50 the following year with the singles "Livin' in the UK" and "Brazilian Dawn." Their debut LP Drivin' Hard was also well-received, and with the 1982 follow-up Nightbirds, Shakatak (which replaced Underwood with bassist George Anderson) scored their first Top 20 hit in "Easier Said Than Done"; the disc's title track also rocketed into the Top Ten. Nightbirds also introduced singer Jill Saward, who emerged as Shakatak's lead vocalist with the band's fifth album, 1984's Down on the Street, which notched the hit "Watching You"; 1985's Live preceded the release of the group's next studio effort, Day by Day. A series of largely instrumental albums including Into the Blue, Golden Wings, Da Makani and Niteflite were then issued exclusively in Japan, where Shakatak enjoyed immense popularity; in the meanwhile 1988's Manic and Cool was released internationally, highlighted by the singles "Mr. Manic and Sister Cool" and "Something Special." After 1992's Open Your Eyes topped Billboard's Contemporary Jazz chart, the band supported 1993's Street Level with a tour of South Africa, while the following year's Full Circle expanded into hip-hop beats. In 1997, Shakatak — now consisting of Sharpe, Odell, Saward and Anderson — resurfaced with Let the Piano Play, followed two years later by both Let the Music Play and Magic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDNAQAYhvmo

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jighru

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

Soul-Boy,

THIS IS A KILLER...
Always loved it - right from the first time I heard that GREAT "Down, Doown..." intro...
This sure made floors move and people groove !
I've gotta pull it out of the shelves and play it LOUD !!!

THANKS !

// Discoguy

Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:54 pm 

GUY IS A WALKING LIBRARY OF INFO ON MUSIC.. I JAMMED THE HELL OUT OF THIS WHEN I WAS RESIDENT AT BUNTERS IN THE UK BACK IN 84. SLAMMIN JAM.
BROUGHT BACK A COUPLE OF MEMORIES. THANKS MIKEY!

POOCH

Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:42 pm 

Many memories from 1984!!!A real classic!!!!

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:25 pm 

Disco and controversy go hand in hand when you think of piano house pioneers Black Box but there is one thing for sure....they jammed!

BLACK BOX - "STRIKE IT UP" (1991)

Black Box (later Blackbox) was a house music group popular in the late 1980s and early 1990s. The members of the group included a trio made up of a club DJ (Daniele Davoli), a classically trained clarinet teacher (Valerio Semplici), and a keyboard and electronic music "wiz" (Mirko Limoni). The three had previously joined to form a group called Groove Groove Melody, producing dance music under names such as Starlight (who had a UK Top 10 hit in August 1989 with "Numero Uno") and Wood Allen. They went on to record music under many other aliases, most notably the alias Mixmaster, which scored a UK #9 hit in November 1990 with the song "Grand Piano".

In 1989, the trio teamed up with singer/model Catherine Quinol (a.k.a. Katrin) and formed Black Box. By early 1990, Martha Wash was engaged to perform vocals on a number of tracks which, Ms. Wash was apparently told, were for club consumption and were not for mass-release. One would be "Everybody Everybody" which would become one of their two top-ten hits in North America. The album Dreamland was released.

The first single "Ride on Time" was an international hit, making Top 10 in many countries and No. 1 in the UK, soon becoming the UK's best-selling single of 1989. The song heavily sampled "Love Sensation" by Loleatta Holloway, a 1980 disco hit. The Black Box title is derived from a misunderstanding of the lyrics "Cause you're right on time".[2]

Dan Hartman, writer and producer of "Love Sensation", was not sought for permission to sample his song, and soon after the international success of "Ride on Time," questions arose as to the true vocalist on the song. Legal proceedings ruled that Loleatta Holloway was the actual singer on "Ride on Time" (albeit by means of the "Love Sensation" vocal samples) and Black Box surrendered a large percentage of the royalties from the song to Hartman and Holloway. The song eventually did make it onto the Dreamland album when it was released later in 1990 as well as the Hits and Mixes compilation, and numerous other compilations. A new version of the track with vocals by Heather Small appeared solely as a single. Subsequent releases, as well as the album tracks, also featured a then-uncredited Martha Wash as vocalist. Quinol lip-synched the vocals in "live" performances and in music videos. Martha Wash sued Black Box, RCA and then C+C Music Factory for performing vocals on their respective songs and not receiving due credit. These legal actions led to the legal recognition of vocalists who perform songs for other artists, including samplings. Wash received full vocal credit upon the single release of "Strike It Up", but the music video still featured Quinol lip synching the lyrics.

A megamix featuring cuts already released and entitled "The Total Mix" performed well in the charts towards the end of 1990. Various minor hits followed in the UK throughout the decade. In America, they are best remembered for their early '90s singles "Everybody Everybody", "I Don't Know Anybody Else", and "Strike It Up", their biggest hit in the United States, where all three of their hits are still heard on rhythmic radio and in clubs on a fairly regular basis to this day.

Black Box remain one of the few piano-house groups to achieve mainstream success in America. Dreamland earned a gold disc in both the UK and the US and achieved double-platinum status in Australia where it spent eight weeks at #1 during early 1991. Along the way, it also spawned six massive hit singles, both on the mainstream charts and in the clubs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKRckmbn4kM

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:02 pm 

That is such a good complete BIO Mikey!!!

I love BlackBox!!!!
One of my big-time favs!!!!

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:35 pm 

*Post note*

...As it says in the bio...The people behind Black Box produced various tunes under the alias Mixmasters....The single "Grand Piano" was a big hit around Europe in 1990...the tune itself was very formulaic for the time, full of various disco samples with a driving piano at it's core...very simple but very effective for it's day....Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9hIyJah ... re=related

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:50 pm 

Not much into this one---must be Martha Wash's vocals that did it for me on BlackBox!!!!

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:04 pm 

IT WAS HER PWERFULL VOCAL THAT DID IT FOT THIS TUNE...GREAT BIO MIKEY!

POOCH

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:25 pm 

This was a great bio Michael!!!!
''Strike It Up'' was my fave song from BlackBox back then...Thanks for the memories!!!

Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:01 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Mikey !

Great trip down memory lane there...
Loved the whole album - many great tracks on it, but just as "G" says - "Strike It Up" was probably my fave as well.
Didn't know those guys were also behind the Mixamasters and Starlight.

THANKS for these !!

// Discoguy

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:44 pm 

One of my favourite tunes from The Jungle Brothers...
Quiz Time.....can you identify the samples on this remix....

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xlw47_ ... ng-4_music

Although they predated the jazz-rap innovations of De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, and Digable Planets, the Jungle Brothers were never able to score with either rap fans or mainstream audiences, perhaps due to their embrace of a range of styles — including house music, Afrocentric philosophy, a James Brown fixation, and of course, the use of jazz samples — each of which has been the sole basis for the start-up of a rap act. Signed to a major label for 1989's Done by the Forces of Nature, the JB's failed to connect on that album — hailed by some as an ignored classic — or the follow-up, J Beez Wit the Remedy.

Mike Gee (born Michael Small; Harlem, NY), DJ Sammy B (born Sammy Burwell; Harlem, NY), and Baby Bam (born Nathaniel Hall; Brooklyn, NY) came together as the Jungle Brothers in the mid-'80s and began their recording career at the dance label Idler. The result of the sessions, Straight Out the Jungle, was released in early 1988. The album's Afrocentric slant gained the Jungle Brothers entry into the Native Tongue Posse, a loose collective formed by hip-hop legend Afrikaa Bambaataa, including Queen Latifah (and, later, De La Soul and A Tribe Called Quest). The album's most far-out cut was "I'll House You," a collaboration with house producer Todd Terry and an early experiment in what later became known as hip-house.

Though Straight Out the Jungle had not sold in large quantities, Warner Bros. signed the trio in 1989 and released a second album, Done By the Forces of Nature, that same year. Though it was issued around the time of De La Soul's groundbreaking 3 Feet High and Rising LP and gained just as many positive reviews, the album was overlooked by most listeners. The Jungle Brothers' chances of mainstream acceptance weren't helped at all by a four-year absence after the release of Done By the Forces of Nature, inspired mostly by Warner Bros.' marketing strategies. Finally, in the summer of 1993, J Beez Wit the Remedy appeared, complete with a sizeable push from Warner Bros.; unfortunately, the large amount of promotion failed to carry the album. Obviously not learning from their earlier mistakes, Warner Bros. also delayed the release of the group's fourth album, Raw Deluxe, until mid-1997. V.I.P. followed in early 2000, and All That We Do was released in 2002.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:04 am 

''What U Waiting 4'' by the Jungle Brothers coming from that time period when Hip Hop was fresh and innovative!!!!I recognize samples from these songs here:
First Choice - Love Thang
MFSB - Love Is The Message
People's Choice - Do It Any Way You Wanna
Peech Boys - Don't Make Me Wait

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:40 am 

Dancer wrote:
''What U Waiting 4'' by the Jungle Brothers coming from that time period when Hip Hop was fresh and innovative!!!!

I could not agree with you more Giorgio!
What they call innovative today, I call boring!
I feel that Hip-Hop has steadily become banal and stale, rapper's today have no flow for me and they rely to much on producers to pull them out the mire. The majority of todays rappers have a vocal style that is whiney and grimey that sucks in my opinion. There is the likes of Jay-Z and Nas who are a couple of notable exceptions but all the big playa's in the game like Eminem and 50c can kiss my ass! Nothing moves me more than Old-Skool hip-hop. The likes of Kool Mo Dee, Ice T, Big Daddy Kane...now those boys knew how to spit. Then you had the style and rhythm of The Jungle Brothers, De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest, Monie Love and Queen Latifah..these dudes never failed to move me!
When fresh producers like N.E.R.D and Timberland came into the game, I thought they were the saviours of hip-hop but after a few years they seamed to peak and there sounds became very repetitive and formulamatic after a short time!
My only hope for hip-hop, is that it makes a full circle and returns to it's roots.
Here's hoping!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:39 pm 

Now this might not be a popular opinion here but I have HUGE respect for Sean "Puff Daddy/P.Diddy" Combs.
His early work in Hip Hop/R&B is truly classic.
Bubble Gum? Yes.
Formulatic? Yes.
But his early work ('93-'97) with Notorious B.I.G., Mary J. Blige, Craig Mack, Total, Faith Evans, Mariah Cary, Gina Thompson, Ma$e, The Lox, and others rivaled no other.
AND his samples mostly came from DISCO!!!!
Too bad he could not keep up the creativity with the music.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next

Board index » DISCO » Music