Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Artists

Post subject: Village People "Cruisin"
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:44 pm 

Hey.Yknow sometimes how you go through a record lull and you go back to your collection and discover something you have avoided for a while and then become obsessed with it? Surely thats not just me!! Well recently I have been playing "Cruisin" by the Village People.Now I have ALWAYS been a fan of the VILLAGE PEOPLE. Unfortunately I think many people ignore them cos they are just so commercial...but forget the music behind them! The more I listen to "Cruisin" the more I enjoy it.Now i know they are not known for their lyrical genius but who cares? The music is funky the vocals appealing and I dig it."Ups And Downs" with its pill popping dude ("Sometimes I forget my name,sometimes I feel very strange"),"My Roomate" about an annoying flatmate,just like mine at the moment, Nick if you are reading this you are an annoying little brat, "The Women" with its campy tribute to gay icons ("Donna! Diana! Talking about,two queens of the now"), its not so good follow up "im a cruiser", "YMCA" of course, and its coup de grace in my opinion, "Hot Cop". This really is funky nice break, sleazy poppers sort of feel thats party hearty..love it!! So in summing up, I love this album so much so that I have decided to get some VP original albums on cd.I only own 2 ("Renassiance" and "In The Street") so they arent even real disco.time to rectify the situation.Peace out!![color=#BF0080][/color]

Post subject: Re: Village People "Cruisin"
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:51 pm 
Site Admin

Hi there Boogienights !

Thanks for sharing and just like you say - I think we all have had some record we kind of had put in the bottom shelf (or behind the couch in Jay's case... :wink: ) and when someone mentions or something - you dust it off and you find a gem !
Ok - it's rare, but it does happen...
I'll have to check out the VP's "Cruisin'" LP then. I think I might have it somewhere (haven't got the LP's in order, only the 12"s). So I'll do som digging and check it out as you seem to like it !

Thanks for "sharing"... I'll see if I can recall some of my "finds" (stuff that I already had but totally had forgot about).

Disco-on !
// Discoguy

Post subject: Re: Village People "Cruisin"
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:45 pm 

Cruisin' is the first disco album which I loved as a whole. Long before I became a disco fanatic. For me, that's one of the most important albums in the whole history of dance music. And sleeve artwork is just amazing.
About "many people ignore them cos they are just so commercial"... yeah boogienights, it's possible that this album is underrated because of some dumb prejudice and shallow judgement towards it... but don't concern yourself with what people think... because what do people know?!? :mrgreen: We know it's masterpiece - and that's enough. (For me, anyway.) I never could understand that "too commercial" argument. That's just silly. Who said that commercial = bad :?: :roll: I don't know... for me, in the end there are only two kinds of music - good and bad. The only criteria is do I like it or not.

Cruisin' is the hardest one to find on CD of all Village People albums. It took me a couple of years to track down almost mint CD copy manufactured in 90's. It's out of print for a long time. I also have LP, that's probably my first vinyl. :D

I think that Cruisin' is for Village People what A night at the Opera is for Queen.
But although it is my favourite VP album, my favourite VP song is not from Cruisin'. It's called Sleazy :mrgreen:

If I could wish anything I want to come true, but only one thing - I wouldn't wish for all the money in the world or perfect health or world peace. I would wish to go back in time before I was born, in the 70's, in New York, to dance in DISCO era.

Board index » DISCO » Artists