Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Artists

Post subject: MECO
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:43 am 

Hello,
I'm new here, and this is my first post. 8) I discovered this site years ago, and came here a couple of times when looking for some info, but only last night I realized that there's a forum here!
Anyway, I'm 31, from Europe, and I'm in love with disco for the last 10 years.
One of my favourite artists is MECO, and I don't see a topic about him...
Do you love Meco? Do you think he's underrated? Overrated? Along with few others (Moroder, Frank Farian...), for me he's on top.

If I could wish anything I want to come true, but only one thing - I wouldn't wish for all the money in the world or perfect health or world peace. I would wish to go back in time before I was born, in the 70's, in New York, to dance in DISCO era.

Post subject: Re: MECO
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:54 pm 

Hi Disco 54...
Welcome to the site, always nice to see new members arrive that have the same passion as the rest of us...Please feel free to post any info on Meco as all the members will enjoy reading your contribution. Tell us a little more about yourself and fill us in on the music scene in beautiful Croatia..I see that you have met one of my favourite producers of all time ..Q.. tell us more brother!
Any queries or problems navigating the site, please don't hesitate to contact any of the members here who will gladly point you in the right direction!
Enjoy your stay here and I hope it's a long one!

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:51 pm 

Welcome Disco 54...
Tell us more about you;are you a Dj?A pure fun of disco music?
Enjoy your stay here 8)

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:08 pm 

Thanks on warm welcome.

Probably all of you know who is Meco. But I'll let someone else say a few words about him...

When I returned home from London having finished the recordings of STAR WARS, I hadn't heard of either Disco or Meco.
When I was asked to listen to Meco's now famous recording of STAR WARS, I was a little aprehensive, wondering, How can a pop record be made from "THE MARCH FROM STAR WARS" and what would it be like?
I inmediately liked what I heard and sensed that a genuine communication was taking place.
Without wanting to sound pretentious, or to compare my music with the great symphonic masters, I nevertheless thought it was wonderful that many people who had never heard a symphony orchestra liked STAR WARS and were now becoming interested in symphonic music. I thought this was good - we were communicating.
Meco took things another step by bringing STAR WARS to a vast audience who otherwise would not have heard it in its original symphonic setting. Again, good communication - this time thanks to Meco.
I am most grateful to Meco for all of this - very happy that he has added SUPERMAN to his repertoire - and, I am delighted that the words DISCO and MECO are now household words.

- JOHN WILLIAMS

Of course, Williams is THE musical genius of our time, I think most people would agree that he's number one composer of the second half of 20th century. I love Williams' music for as long as I can remember. And HE spoke of Meco with those kind words. When I discovered Meco's Star Wars some 11 years ago, I didn't know anything about him. But I LOVED it immediately. Today I know everything about him and I'm fascinated. His formula is simple - as all great ideas are. He gave disco beat to familiar movie themes (usually orchestral music). But he made some original songs too. His first 3 albums are the best ones, a true jewels. While first one (Star Wars) was huge hit, second and third LPs are even better in my opinion, but unjustly forgotten.

Here's the only site dedicated to Meco: www.mecofan.x10hosting.com

If I could wish anything I want to come true, but only one thing - I wouldn't wish for all the money in the world or perfect health or world peace. I would wish to go back in time before I was born, in the 70's, in New York, to dance in DISCO era.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:48 pm 

Soul-Boy wrote:
Any queries or problems navigating the site

Well, it is slow. I wait too long for page to load.

But to answer to your questions about myself and "music scene in beautiful Croatia".
I'm one of the pioneers of hip-hop in Croatia. I made first hip-hop party in my town, and met Public Enemy and Ice-T, and all that before my 17th birthday while my country was still in war with 1/3 occupied. I was also among the first to discover techno music, in 1992. I loved it, but I grew tired of it by the 1996, when the rest of Croatia just started to discover techno, and I turned completely to hip-hop. From 1997 to 2001 I had my own hip-hop radio show, which had a big impact on spreading of hip-hop. I just became a name, played even outside Croatia, had Chuck D's phone number and contacts in record labels... but 2 betrayals happened. First, owner of radio station sold it without even notifying us, I came in studio and saw unknown people there - new owners, who didn't want anything that already was. Second, hip-hop changed so drastically that it became unrecognizable. That was not anymore the music and culture that was mine before. But, I always liked other stuff too, like Queen and Kraftwerk, so I turned by back to hip-hop and started exploring other (sonical) worlds. While I was still playing rap on the radio and at the clubs, I felt that disco music strongly atracts me. So I started to play original disco tunes in clubs, which brought me more joy, money and much bigger crowds. But those times are over, people are not intersted in disco. Everyone knows 20 biggest hits, and they prefer to hear it in some new remix, and that's it. They care about: rock classics, techno and house of the worst kind, soul-less empty-headed new tv pop/rap/rnb hits which will be forgotten till the next year, and horrible modern-folk music from Balkans. People here rarely have style and good taste in music, and very limited knowledge and understanding of the music, and thay even less care to change it. That's why I'm some kind of freak here, because I listen OLD music and because I listen ALL kinds of music.

I'm off now, I hope I wasn't boring, I'll stick to discussions about disco from now on. Here's a pic from one of my last disco parties. 8)

Attachments:
34.jpg
34.jpg [ 44.96 KiB | Viewed 8227 times ]

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:55 am 

Hi Disco 54! You are by no means boring.......you're a Croatian pioneer!! :o
Looks like you're hooked on music in all its forms....that's good to see.
I am a dinosaur as far as djing goes but I give you a Jurassic welcome to Disco-Disco.com!! :twisted:
Hope you stick around & enjoy our company. :)

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:58 am 
Site Admin

Disco54,

I welcomed you in the Quincy thread... But it was great to get to know a bit more about you. You've had a great career and it's great to see you have got an interest in Disco.
Great to have you around and hope to see much more from you !!

Disco-on !

// Discoguy

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:24 pm 

Thank you all for very warm welcome.
I'm a bit surprised/confused, because I'm usually not used to hear kind words when I mention my love for disco. People usually despise disco. But people are also usually dumb, so... 8)
I listen mostly music which is old as I am, or older. :) But really all kinds, from clasical to metal, from disco to rock. Now, when I talk with guys who also love metal, they can't understand that I can listen disco and rap beside metal. Rappers don't believe me that I like metal. When I talk with people with whom I share my love for classical music and jazz, they don't understand my love for disco and rap. Except very few very close friends, everyone thinks that I'm crazy or just playing games with them. Now, I believe that people who love disco are more open-minded, because disco is open-minded and VERY liberal in every sense. Yes, I really think that disco frees a man. So maybe this will be the first place where people won't think it's crazy to listen ABBA and Black Sabbath in the same day, or Village People and Run-D.M.C., or Donna Summer and Wagner.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:59 pm 

Soul-Boy wrote:
fill us in on the music scene in beautiful Croatia

Thanks, you've been here?
So, you're in Spain or in England? I've never been outside continental Europe, but I was in Spain - Barcelona and Figueres. Barcelona is wonderful, I have to go there again, and continue all the way to Gibraltar and Portugal...

By the way, I've heard Spain's most famous disco song in "LA GRAN AVENTURA - MORTADELO Y FILEMÓN"... hilarious scene! :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:11 pm 

Disco54 wrote:
Soul-Boy wrote:
fill us in on the music scene in beautiful Croatia

Thanks, you've been here?
So, you're in Spain or in England? I've never been outside continental Europe, but I was in Spain - Barcelona and Figueres. Barcelona is wonderful, I have to go there again, and continue all the way to Gibraltar and Portugal...

By the way, I've heard Spain's most famous disco song in "LA GRAN AVENTURA - MORTADELO Y FILEMÓN"... hilarious scene! :mrgreen:

This should explain it Disco 54..

Well I come from Newcastle upon Tyne, England
For the past 20+ years I have been involved in the bar/nightclub industry in the UK. I was a dj between 1986 - 1997.I played mainly Soul, Funk, Rare Groove, Northern Soul, Classic Hip-Hop, Electro and Disco delights.. From 1997 to the present day, I moved into the management side of the industry. Just recently I gave up my job in the UK and I bought some property in Spain and I am currently looking into investing in either some bars or nightclubs for the future around Europe. Since Jan of this year, I have travelled to Amsertadam, Belgium, Lyon, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Mallorca, Egypt and my next port of call will to visit some of my brothers from this site..Hoping to hook up with Dj's King C & Dancer in Athens later this year and my good buddy Dj Jay Negron in Florida Music wise, my main loves are all things disco, soul and funk...

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:42 pm 

Impresive, Soul-Boy!

Board index » DISCO » Artists