Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Artists

Post subject: Re: QUINCY JONES
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:32 pm 

Hey guys. This thread starts with "Over the years i used to day-dream of all the famous artists, living or deceasded that i would have like to met...". That reminds me of me. 8) Since music (along with films) is the most important in my life, those artists which I listen mean a lot to me, because their work has a deep impact on me. Most people are unable to understand my need to meet those artists. It's hard even for me to explain, even in my language, but I think here you will understand even if I don't explain. I just need to see that they really exist, that they're human beings, basically not very different from me. I want to have that memory, that feeling - that I've met them and that they've met me.
Here's a photo I took of Mr. Jones.

Attachments:
23.jpg
23.jpg [ 222.63 KiB | Viewed 899 times ]

If I could wish anything I want to come true, but only one thing - I wouldn't wish for all the money in the world or perfect health or world peace. I would wish to go back in time before I was born, in the 70's, in New York, to dance in DISCO era.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:26 pm 

To answer your posts...
I've met Quincy this July at 3 a.m. in Montreux, Switzerland. I went there to see Grace Jones at 43rd Montreux Jazz Festival. I did see Grace and I was one of very few fans lucky enough to meet her. In fact, it seems that I'm somehow always the right person in the right place at the right time. So, one night (after I've met Sly & Robbie) I was walking alone towards my appartment. As I was passing by the great concert halls in Montreux (Auditorium Stravinski and Miles Davis Hall), door opened near me, and all of a sudden some people and excitement around me. In a few seconds I relized that Quincy Jones is coming out, and I was right by his limo. I played it cool, reached for my camera, turn it on - and there he was. He stopped to briefly sign a couple of books (it was 3 a.m.!), and before he got in limo - he had to pass by me. 8) I talked to him and felt that he was nice, warm, but not too warm, polite, but not too polite, very professional and at the same time VERY cool and relaxed, quick, smart and witty. The man is no fool, you can't phuk with him and he won't take schit from anybody - I felt that in him. When he heard that I've traveled from very far away, he couldn't say no to me, to take a photo and speak a few words. After that, he went straight into limo. Oh, yeah, check his shirt! 8)

But Quincy is not very important to me (don't hate me). I would give a whole week spent in his company for a couple of seconds with Meco Monardo, Giorgio Moroder, Donna Summer or anyone from ABBA. :)

I have a lot of similar stories. I'll tell you one more. 4 years ago Boney M. came to my town. Unfortunately, that's not the real Boney M., because only Liz Mitchell was from the original four. But she IS the main singer, so... Anyway, it was a free show on open, there were young kids, old people... more like an entertainment for the whole family. It was nice, the songs were in their original form, not remixed, which is very important to me. After the show, I went as near as I could to the entrence to a building which served kinda like "back-stage". I was some 12 meters from that entrence, I knew Liz will go inside. In front of me was a metal fence and two security guys. When I saw Liz, moment before she'll walk into building, I called her. She stopped, surprised. I yelled: "I'm your biggest fan". (That's true, I am.) She left all that people around her there, to wait by that door, and all alone she came to the fence. I was the only one there. Security let me pass the fence. I told her how I like their work, and how Frank Farian is a genius ("Yes he is" - she replied). I said how I loved the show, but that they haven't played my favourite song. She asked me which one is it. I answered "He was a Steppenwolf". And then instantly - SHE STARTED TO SING IT FOR ME! We were alone, Liz and me! Two security guys were near, who don't know and don't care who she is and they probably don't even understand English. All others were where she left them, while she was singing to me ony of my favourite songs, a true masterpiece by mastermind Frank Farian, while she was standing really close to me. 8)

How I met Grace Jones or Public Enemy or Black Sabbath are even more interesting stories, but maybe some other time... gotta go now, or how Liz sings: GOTTA GO HOME, HOME...

If I could wish anything I want to come true, but only one thing - I wouldn't wish for all the money in the world or perfect health or world peace. I would wish to go back in time before I was born, in the 70's, in New York, to dance in DISCO era.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:19 am 

LOL! Quincy still has that mischevious bad boy look in his eyes! :twisted:
What a legend!!
Great photo. One to cherish. :wink:

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:50 am 
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum Disco54,

This was a great story on how you met Quincy and I also loved the Liz story and how she really started singing your favorite song for you...
I bet we all would love to hear more stories like these...
Maybe start a new thread, something like "How I met..." and then people can add various artists, DJ's or others in there !

// Discoguy

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:07 pm 

Discoguy wrote:
I bet we all would love to hear more stories like these...
Maybe start a new thread, something like "How I met..." and then people can add various artists, DJ's or others in there !

// Discoguy

There is a thread like this here Disco54.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=691

Sure would love to hear your other stories when you have time. :)

Board index » DISCO » Artists