Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » CLUBS » Paradise Garage

Post subject: Re: Larry Levan Play List
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:50 pm 

Jay Negron wrote:
Soul-Boy wrote:

I believe he just wanted to have fun while spinning and entertain his crowd with unusal tracks that you would not here anywhere else and I am sure he was not trying to convey any deep messages in his music. Let's face it, most of the time that he was working, he was under the influence of drugs according to most articles that are written about him. Nothing deep about that brother!

I agree Mikey!!!
I was at The Garage when he was spinning HOT like a firecracker and I was there when he was apathetic. I was there when he played "Let Yourself Go" by The Supremes for 45 minutes straight (we were like WTF??) and I was there at the end of the night when he was rushing out of there. He spun where his many moods took him.
I wasn't there week after week; but when I was there he had his magical moments.
I also understand where drugs can take you while spinning. The many different moods that you go through comes out in your spinning. I can imagine that's why there are so many different opinions about LL's work.

One thing is for sure!!! His remixes with his name on it; whether he did them or not (I still hear the rumours) are songs of an era!!! That is the kind of music that transends boundaries; and I will always be greatful!!!

Indeed there were many stories about mixes performed by Larry Levan, Jay!

He had inspirational as well as physical help behind the scenes.

Larry was a shy person for the most part!

Larry's mixes stood out for those who listened on a regular. I heard a reel-to-reel version of Peek-A-Boo - Gwen Guthrie, Instrumental of I Want To Thank You - Alicia Myers, Instrumental version w/o vocals or chorus of Life Is Something Special - NYC Peech Boys and many other gems......

http://www.soundcloud.com/delmarbrowne

http://dj.beatport.com/delmarbrowne

http://www.facebook.com/realdelmarbrowne

Post Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:57 pm 

I was at The Garage when he was spinning HOT like a firecracker and I was there when he was apathetic. I was there when he played "Let Yourself Go" by The Supremes for 45 minutes straight (we were like WTF??)

Delamar,
Indeed "Let Youself Go" is a monumental classic song but tell me please, what was the crowd reaction and mood to hearing one track for approx 45 mins..This was unheard of in the UK so snippits of history like this really interest me!..What was indeed your reaction to it at the time and now after you have had many years to refect on this moment in time!

Post Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:31 pm 

Soul-Boy: There were many instances when Larry was a train-wreck for reasons of his own. As for playing a song for 45 minutes, if the track was E2-E4 for its duration was best in length. The crowd enjoyed those special mixes from his reel-to-reel. Examples - Peek-A-Boo / Gwen Guthrie, Instrumental of I Want To Thank You / Alicia Myers, Instrumental of Life Is Something Special / NYC Peech Boys etc., The electronic wave from the genre of Dance music was in full bloom at early eighties. Folks from across the pond direction was different than Americans from a disc jockey, listening and dancer perspective. Heaven 17 - Play To Win as an example was a song featuring extended play from Larry Levan. The Thompson Twins, Human League, Pet Shop Boys, The Clash, Talking Heads, ABC and other groups from overseas was well-received in the U.S.

Soul-Boy wrote:
I was at The Garage when he was spinning HOT like a firecracker and I was there when he was apathetic. I was there when he played "Let Yourself Go" by The Supremes for 45 minutes straight (we were like WTF??)

Delamar,
Indeed "Let Youself Go" is a monumental classic song but tell me please, what was the crowd reaction and mood to hearing one track for approx 45 mins..This was unheard of in the UK so snippits of history like this really interest me!..What was indeed your reaction to it at the time and now after you have had many years to refect on this moment in time!

http://www.soundcloud.com/delmarbrowne

http://dj.beatport.com/delmarbrowne

http://www.facebook.com/realdelmarbrowne

Post Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:30 am 

Great set of tracks, killer playlist. I am just hunting these tracks down now.

Post subject: Re:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:30 pm 

Discoguy wrote:
As I seem to recall - Sam Fox prefer girls (at least these days). Maybe she was "out" with that in the Garage (but nowhere else) and maybe that's why LL and the PG crowd loved her ???

// Discoguy

I personally don't remember her playing at the Garage . . . and I don't recall that song being played there either . . .

Board index » CLUBS » Paradise Garage