Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Various

Post subject: High Society and Disco
 Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:54 pm 

How much had people in high society got to do with disco ? I know aristocracts went to studio 54 and disco was meant to be glam and expensive. But was it popular with the upper class ?

Post subject: Re: High Society and Disco
 Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:31 am 
Site Admin

That's a good question and I think it might vary with the cities and clubs. But you know there are always clubs/hang outs that attracts more upper class people. Then if they liked it or not, or if it was just a matter of being seen - well that's a totally different ballgame.
But I assume some upper class people like to dance too, and I'm sure there were lots of them who enjoyed the music of the era. I would guess the music taste is kind of the same no matter if you're rich of poor... ??

Or anyone who has got some other opinion or insight in this matter ??

// Discoguy

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:54 pm 

I played in some ritzy, high society clubs in my days. And in some dives too. There certainly was and is a difference. Too many to talk about. But as far as MUSIC is concerned, the classier the place, the more Top 40 or POP oriented it was. You could not get away with anything new or not familiar. Then of course, EVERYTHING cost more, but I was paid more too.

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:29 pm 

Well, we can start with "Regines". Top shelf all the way. Built for the upper class with the top dollar in mind.
But what I can vouch for is "Le Club". This was the top of the top in NYC. Dinner & Dancing for the elite. Suit & tie required at all times. You had to be a member or a guest with a member. This is the kind of place where you got your bill in the mail. All you had to do is sign for it. Some of the richest people in NYC and high society were in this place. People like Trump, Zuckerman, Steinbrenner, Tish, Frank Sinatra, Mary Tyler Moore and these people used to come there. Like Pete said, this was mostly top 40. Playing here was like playing at a wedding. So as far as NYC goes, yes there was a place for the upper class. I spent four years playing there, suit and tie required in the dj booth.
Pooch

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:53 pm 

Pooch, "Suit & Tie in the Deejay booth". I hated that! In 1984, Regines was opening a Disco in Miami, I was "asked" to audition. Yeah, in NYC! So I flew up, stayed in Union City, the audition was at 8:30pm. I rented a car($131 a day), and left Jersey before 6pm. Mistake! I had forgotten the Lincoln Tunnel traffic. I arrived at Regines at 8:45. I wasn't even given the opportunity to spin. What a waste that was. I was in a key lime suit, mistake # 2. Black Tie all-the-way. I came back to Miami, pissed & bummed out, never returned to the Big Apple. The Miami Regines hired some slack DJ, it open and closed quickly.

Now, FACES In The Grove, open in Coconut Grove in 1980. Scotty Blackwell the resident DJ. I filled in on Sundays. Black Tie, and only the Elite allowed in. It had a very strict dress code. No Jeans at all.This was the time of the $150 Sasson Jeans. I remember Movie Stars denied entry because they wore jeans. The difference at FACES was that it played the most progressive music in town.

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:12 am 

Julianas was a chain of clubs operated worldwide through the Hilton Hotel chain.

I worked for them for about 6 months & had to leave. Reasons for leaving......

1. Wearing a bloody suit & tie!!
2. Obnoxious rich people.
3. Pre destined playlist of only commercial disco tracks.
4. Pay was crap.
5. Had to play requests quickly.
6. When people asked for requests I was also supposed to offer them a glass of bubbly from a champagne bucket that was constantly filled next to me. (What am I? A Beverage manager?)
7. I was only allowed 3 free drinks in a 5 hour period & no more after that as I was working.

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:38 am 

suit and tie in the DJ BOOTH?! and just so you could play top 40? holy cats! I thought weddings were bad!
money certainly has nothing to do with taste, I can say that.

"Music is like a love affair - you have to treat it very gracefully and you don't want to crack it or damage it. When you caress it and treat it with respect, wonderful things come back to you." ~ Bobby Viteritti

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:33 pm 

pflext wrote:
Julianas was a chain of clubs operated worldwide through the Hilton Hotel chain.

I worked for them for about 6 months & had to leave. Reasons for leaving......

1. Wearing a bloody suit & tie!!
2. Obnoxious rich people.
3. Pre destined playlist of only commercial disco tracks.
4. Pay was crap.
5. Had to play requests quickly.
6. When people asked for requests I was also supposed to offer them a glass of bubbly from a champagne bucket that was constantly filled next to me. (What am I? A Beverage manager?)
7. I was only allowed 3 free drinks in a 5 hour period & no more after that as I was working.

Whoa! Paul....

That gig seemed more like a POW camp than a club!...
I would have been out of there after 10 minutes bro!...Lol

Board index » DISCO » Various