Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » CLUBS » FunHouse

Post subject: Where are the Fun House Dancers & Breakers?
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:27 am 

The Fun House was my home from 81 - 84 during the Jellybean years. I was one of the original Juice Crew Members nicknamed Starstruck. I went to the Staten Island reunion on April 17th 2009 and had a great time with my best bud Alise A.K.A Mama Juice, Cindy & Alicia. We danced like it was 1982. There were mostly Buggas there and it was a good time. But during the Fun House years we hung out on the dance floor and the back stage and we were hoping to see some of our house dance and breaker friends. Where are you Mickey & Tony? Where are you Chino, Brian & Sammy? Where are the baby powder dancers? Where are the Hustle dancers? The Jellybean Fun House years were the best and I would love to go to a reunion that fully represented the Fun House and the ethnic melting pot of dancers that represented it.

Post subject: Re: Where are the Fun House Dancers & Breakers?
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:10 am 
Site Admin

Eva "Starstruck",

How many girls were you in the Juice Crew ?
Have you got a photo of all of you together ? Would love to put it on the page...

// Discoguy

Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:38 pm 

There were about 6 of us who were girls... I don't have pics anymore but Alise (Mama Juice) does. I've been asking her for copies but you know how it is... always busy with work and kids... I'll ask her again and certainly forward them to you when I get them.

FYI After the Juice Crew sort of split up, me and Alise started up with a new crew called Ladies Only. We were an all girls crew of 6 and we did a few local performances in Brooklyn. 2 of us, me and Cindy (Rollover) also landed a dance spot in the move Krush Groove.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:52 am 

Eva,

Your history sounds great, can you tell us any more stories about your clubbin' and dancin' days BITD..Us Europeans are fascinated with this history...

Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:32 am 
Site Admin

Eva wrote:
There were about 6 of us who were girls... I don't have pics anymore but Alise (Mama Juice) does.

FYI After the Juice Crew sort of split up, me and Alise started up with a new crew called Ladies Only. We were an all girls crew of 6 and we did a few local performances in Brooklyn. 2 of us, me and Cindy (Rollover) also landed a dance spot in the move Krush Groove.

Eva - That's just great !
Would you be able to give me all the Juice Crew members names - both real and nick names? I know I was in contact with Alise way back and she would try to get me some pics... So if you can ask her as well, that's just awesome!
As well as the names of you Ladies Only girls?
Tell us more about 'Krush Groove' - are you seen in the movie? That must really have been something for a dancin' girl like you... :D

// Discoguy

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:20 pm 

The original Juice Crew members were Alise (Mama Juice), Tony (White Lightning), Idallys (Coco), Mickey (Berico), Kim (Spinner), Melissa (Brown Sugar), & Greg... Although the Juice Crew did get the publicity of the Village Voice article, we weren't together for very long as a 'crew'. We were friends first, a crew second. Lisette, Chino, Brian, Sammy, Jose, and Genevieve (Step Saver) were also part of our crew of friends. We would all dance at the Fun House all night, go straight to breakfast from the Fun House at 9:00 in the morning, then we would go to Washington Square park and dance some more! Afterwards we would sometimes go back to Gregs apartment in Brooklyn and just find a spot on the floor, a chair, where ever just to finally sleep!! We had good times... a lot of laughs. But I think the pressure of living up to this article in the Village Voice about us put a damper on our group. We really just wanted to dance because we loved it. We loved learning from eachother and mastering moves and using them on the dance floor. That's all we really wanted to do... So we remained friends but split up as the Juice Crew and everybody kinda went their own way. Me and Alise remained very close and continued dancing together...

Alise, Kim and I started hanging out with the Dynamic Rockers. Kim and I performed with them once at Platos Retreat and I panicked during the performance because WE WERE THE ONLY ONES WITH CLOTHES ON!! So that bout of stage fright was cause enough for them to not ask me to perform with them again... Kim stayed on with them and Brenda K. Starr (the singer), Susie and I'm not sure the other names but they became the Dynamic Dolls and performed on national tv at a presidential televised event during the Reagan years... they travelled and performed often but I'm not sure for how long. I haven't seen Kim since 1997.

The members of Ladies Only were myself with a new nickname which was Gypsy Love, Alise (Mama Juice), Cindy (Rollover), Ayfer, Alicia, Curly and sometimes Coco Pop would join us. Cindy, myself, & Coco Pop danced in the movie Krush Groove. Cindy is dancing in the school steps scene with the Fat Boys. Me and Coco Pop are in the background dancing on the stage during a dialogue with Shiela E and one of The Fat Boys. Ladies Only used to trade dance performances for dance practice space at clubs. We practiced several days of the week and Michael Hughes from Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam would help us with chroeography... He was also Alicia's boyfriend and our good friend. I'm still very close friends with Alise, Cindy & Alicia. We just went to the 30 year Fun House reunion together and had a blast dancing...

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

Wow - Thanks Eva,

This was wonderful and detailed information.
I hope you don't mind if I update the FunHouse piece a bit with some of this info...
Now we're only waiting for Alise's photo's to go with it... :wink:

// Discoguy

Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:53 am 

Eva,

That was one seriously intresting article and I thank you!...
What were the stand out dance tunes for you BITD and have your musical tastes changed over the years or is it still old skool for you all the way?

Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:40 am 

Disco Guy you can certainly use the info to update the Fun House page. I'm glad I can offer some information.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:52 am 

Some of my fav songs to dance to BITD were Ain't No Mountain High Enough, Starchild, Now That We Found Love, Crash Goes Love, I Remember What You Like, Let The Music Play, In The Bottle, Zippin' Up My Boots, Mexican, Supernature, Please Don't Go... and many more but I would have to look at a playlist to remember them all. I still love all of my old skool favorites... they still get me dancin... wish I had the same stamina on the dance floor though!

I didn't care for a lot of the dance music in the 90's but over the past few years some good stuff has come out... Beggin, Closer, Green Light, Pjanoo, Forever, Day & Night remix, Boom Boom Pow, Universal Mind Control... I love a good dance beat whether it's from 1980 or 2010.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:45 pm 

Eva wrote:
Some of my fav songs to dance to BITD were Ain't No Mountain High Enough, Starchild, Now That We Found Love, Crash Goes Love, I Remember What You Like, Let The Music Play, In The Bottle, Zippin' Up My Boots, Mexican, Supernature, Please Don't Go... and many more but I would have to look at a playlist to remember them all. I still love all of my old skool favorites... they still get me dancin... wish I had the same stamina on the dance floor though!

I didn't care for a lot of the dance music in the 90's but over the past few years some good stuff has come out... Beggin, Closer, Green Light, Pjanoo, Forever, Day & Night remix, Boom Boom Pow, Universal Mind Control... I love a good dance beat whether it's from 1980 or 2010.

Eva,

Some great tunes there...
"Zipping Up My Boots"....do you mean "Going Back To My Roots" by Odyssey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyqtFSDaQWQ

As for "Beggin"..that was a monster tune in summer 2008 for us in the UK. I still got the original by Frankie Vallie on 45!...

Thanks for the input Eva, much appreciated!

Board index » CLUBS » FunHouse