Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers

Post subject: Re: Dan "Pooch" Pucciarelli
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:11 pm 

I am so happy to see that interview with Pooch. Honestly, he does deserve it! I think that Claes did a great job with the questions. (although Pooch left out some stuff in my opinon) Pooch never said anything about the "Knock on Wood" mix at Midnight Madness. That was awesome!!
Everyone should go to the front page and read about Danny Pooch.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:43 am 
Site Admin

Rforte,

Happy you liked the interview - so you think Pooch left somethings out and that he should tell about "Knock On Wood"... So, if he didn't - can't you tell us ?!?! :wink:

// Discoguy

Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:52 pm 

Reply to discoguy - I am surprised that Pooch did not talk about it.
This was the Midnight Madness street festival on 86th St in Brooklyn. The streets were closed down from 18th Ave To Bayparkway. The absolute main thru fare of Bensonhurst. You know, the Saturday Night Fever area. That whole stretch has a railroad train running along it. An elevated track. Dan was playing from the second story of one of the buildings, you could see him in the window from the street. There were thousands of people dancing and there were 2 or 3 news vans there recording it for the news. A company called "Heavy Custom Sound had 4 huge towers of speakers and lights hanging from the railroad tracks. Dan was FLAMING, ON FIRE, THE CROWD WAS SCREAMING AND CHANTING. The train would pass by every 15 minutes or so and you could hardly hear the music. He played "Knock on Wood" and was doing one of his crazy remixes. Well, you the part of the song where she say's " I think I better knock knock knock" and then there is a pause - - - -The train was approaching and just at that point in the song, at the pause, he held the record, the train went by and then he let it go ---"On Wood".
The crowd went absoultley crazy. People were clapping for him and when Joe Causi came on the mic and said, lets hear it for Danny Pooch from the Night Galery, It was mayhem, people were chanting his name, incredible!! Later that night around 1AM or so, a lot of people were at the Vegas Diner, a typical after club place to eat. Me, Danny, Ralphie Dee and a couple of other people walked in to get a table. There were a few people sitting at the first booth and they saw Danny and yelled out "Yo, Danny Pooch way to play' and it seemed like the whole place just turned around and saw Danny and started clapping. Anyway, thats about the story of he evening. There was more that went on in the Diner but, this was about the Knock on Wood mix.
I hope I have brought to light a historic event in 1979.
rforte

Post Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:43 am 

In all fairness to The Pooch, he probably ate too much antipasto, and simply forgot. Thanks Rob for filling us in. I wish I had been there. But Pooch will certainly tell me EVERYTHING!! LOL

Post Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:55 am 

Rforte....that's a great story...I love hearing stories like that.....those things stay with you forever. Thanks.....almost like I was there....... :)

Post Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:23 am 
Site Admin

Rforte,

Thanks for sharing this memory... It was very interesting and a very nice story. I perfectly understand you remembered that. But I guess Pooch have had many great memories from his long career and it's sometimes hard to know what to tell about.
But a lovely memory! Just as Pflext I love to hear these kind of memories...

// Discoguy

Post Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:17 pm 

POOCH,

I KNOW MORE ABOUT YOUR CARREER ON THIS FORUM THEN I KNEW WHEN WE WERE PART OF THE I.D.R.C. FEEDBACK COMMITTEE.

I KNEW YOU WERE A PRIME DJ THEN BECAUSE I ONLY HEARD GREAT THINGS ABOUT YOU AS A PRO BEHIND THE TURNTABLES.

I HAVE ALWAYS HAD TREMENDOUS RESPECT FOR YOU.

I REALLY WISH NOW AFTER READING MORE ABOUT YOUR CARREER THAT I WOULD HAVE WINESSED AND EXPERIENCED "POOCH" LIVE.

ALL IN ALL MY HAT IS OFF TO YOU DANNY. SINCERELY.

To ME, YOU ARE A LIVING LEGEND.

BY THE WAY, WHY DID YOU LEAVE EDDIE AND THE I.D.R.C. POOL?

Post Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:29 pm 

PINKY, I too had "heard" about "Disco Dan" or "The Pooch", but never associated the two. In retrospective, we were pretty "sheltered" in our own Deejay world, and worked while he worked. So it was difficult, to say the least. At least for me, Brooklyn was a place I went to, when I HAD to!! LOL The food in Brooklyn was very good, excellent Mannicotti!! LOL

The Italian festivals, were a form of entertainment in their own category. Unlike anything else. THE VEGAS DINER!! WOW!! Excellent French Toast at 5 AM!! LOL

Danny was thinking, excellent move holding the song til the train passed. It paid off. I feel like I was there! Great story Rob!! Loved it, now what happened at the Diner!! LOL
Don't leave us hangin!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:12 am 

Pinky,
Sorry I took so long to reply. I left because of the "Politics of Dancing" (LOL) no horn blowing here OK? But I was being snubbed by Eddie due to the exposure I was getting between my club work and BB reporter and the Committee. People were actually calling the pool and asking for me. Not Eddie or Dave Peasley or Dennis. Music was being sent down to the pool with my name on it and not someone else's. It was people like you that helped make the committee what it was. I did not elect me as the chairman, all you guys did. So I gave it my best. I treated us all equally, I never held myself above the rest of you. Eddie and the crew felt different and treated me that way. I had expressed my feelings to a few people. I was told by a number of people at labels to join Judy's pool. So I went to talk to her. By late 1979, all the big names in the city were in For the Record except you, me, and Rick Richardson. So I joined. I did miss you and Jim Monte, Ronnie Soares and Michael Green. Ronnie & Jim came over anyway. So thats it my old friend, thats why I left IDRC.
Pooch

Post subject: Re:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:36 am 

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Last edited by yahu on Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:19 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:07 am 

To Yahu,
You are an insulting person. Pooch is a pioneer in this business and whatever organization he belongs too has nothing to do with his history. It is obvious that you are Polish!!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:41 pm 

rforte wrote:
To Yahu,
You are an insulting person. Pooch is a pioneer in this business and whatever organization he belongs too has nothing to do with his history. It is obvious that you are Polish!!

Attachments:
NADD  ID 2.jpg
NADD ID 2.jpg [ 24.66 KiB | Viewed 11621 times ]

Post Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:31 pm 

Yahu,
I am happy to see that you have removed your last comments which I responded too. You are a gentleman. I have sent Pooch an email about it.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:17 am 

Three new Mega Giant educational eBooks about discotheque and deejay history available - possible to buy or tell other people to buy:

check YouTube short movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJoxH9zo ... OA&index=9

+
check special blogs all about:

1 /
http://discjockey-discjockey.blogspot.com/ (this one in polish language only)

2 /
http://disco-dj-history.blogspot.com/ (this one in english)

3 /
http://deejays-dj.blogspot.com/ (this one in english)

4/ (FB)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/891492467529973/ (FB)

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers