Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Remember this ?

Post subject: A NIGHT OR TIME YOU REMEMBER
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:56 am 

IN THIS POST I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM OUR RESIDENT MEMBERS/DEJAY'S,AND ALL OTHERS ABOUT ANY PARTICULAR NIGHT OF PARTYING, DEJAYING, THE NIGHT YOU LEFT LIKE A MONSTER AT THE CLUB ROCKING THE HOUSE THAT STUCK IN YOUR MINE AS IT WAS YESTERDAY, A MEMORABLE NIGHT YOU WILL NEVER FORGET.

Post subject: So Many
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:25 am 

I remember a night in 1976 don't remember when:
I was at Galaxy 21 (7am) and Walter Gibbons spinned the break of Double Exposure's "10%" into the break of The Trammps "DISCO PARTY" and back again and again.
Both breaks, over & over; it didn't sound the same cause he kept messing with his tri-amp system so that 'only the bass' would come out, then 'only the horns', then 'only the tweeters', and back & forth for almost 30 minutes!!!! Then he let the songs play for a bit & back to the breaks.
All this mixing & cutting and he did not miss one beat or mix!!!!
The crowd was screaming FULL THROTTLE!!!
Couldn't get enough!!
That was 1 experience I will Never Forget!!!
Got More!!!

What was yours CHULITO?????

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:58 pm 

i remember back in the late 80's.
a few mates of mine chucked me over a wall into the neighbours garden.i jumped back on to the wall,ran the full length,then onto the owners extention at the back of his house.
i shouted out catch,,,,,,,,,and they didn't. :lol:
i broke my foot.was a bit pissed so it didn't hurt till the morning.

the song that was playing when i jumped was tom brownes funking for jamaica.great song to break my foot too. :lol: :lol: :lol:

ktf.
darren :D 8)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:14 am 

I remeber a time when people used to dance facing each other. :wink:

One night I was playing Peter Brown - "Can't Be Love" which is around 140 BPM & this track was the culmination of a 2 hour build up of music.

Just as it got to the "drop" point in that record I dropped in Strauss - "Waltz of The Blue Danube" & had everyone waltzing for about 20 seconds or so before playing Diana Ross - "Upside Down". :twisted:

The crowd clapped & cheered their approval. They knew I was just having fun with them & they played along. 8)

That is what djing is all about for me. Having fun with music & having people in the palm of your hand. :)

Post subject: Night To Remember
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:42 am 

I remember a night in 1980, it was December. So this happened to me 28 years ago. There I was spinning in this dive, the cocaine den known as Sammy's East Side. There was another deejay, this ugly little dealer named Smokey. He was hanging out. There was this fine looking blond hair beauty. Now this was an after-hours club. So I tried to pick this fine example of female for hours. I was getting there. I was kissing her, on the verge of taking her home. So I go to the bathroom, upon my return, I see this chick, who played all proper and virginal all night long. She is on her knees sucking off Smokey. I was stunned! How? Why? Then Smokey pulled out an ounce of cocaine. I realized I was doing it all wrong. She was sucking this ugly fu&%'s dick. When he gave her some white powder. I never was that stupid again!! LOL

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:02 pm 

The emergence of a Coke-Whore!-- I think there is a how to manual Pete!! LOL

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:11 pm 

LOL-- Welcome to the real world. It must have really sucked!! Literally!!LOL

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:59 pm 

I remember the night that Danny Pooch was given a Gold Record Award by Sylvester at the Night Gallery in 1979. The place was packed to the max, and every single person was clapping like crazy for him. After we all stopped clapping, Sylvester said: "I hope you all clap like that for me". We did clap for him.
Rob

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:44 am 

I REMEMBER A NIGHT BACK IN 77 AT THE CAPITAL THEATER IN PASSAIC NJ, AFTER THE CONCERT SYLVESTER AND CHAKA KHAN GOT INTO A ARGUMENT, HE GOT SMOKED BY HER IN THE CONCERT SHE WAS THE FINAL ACT OF THAT NIGHT, HE WAS PISS AND WANTED TO SMACK HER, LOTS OF DRAMA THAT NIGHT.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:55 am 

I ALSO REMEMBER MEETING FRANCE JOLIE AT FIRE AND ICE NIGHT CLUB IN NJ BACK IN 78 BACKSTAGE, MY GOOD FRIEND HECTOR HEAD BOUNCER OF CLUB TOOK ME TO THE BACK ROOM, VERY COOL AND DOWN TO EARTH LADY STILL HAVE THE FIRE AND ICE NAPKIN SING BY HER TO ME.

Post subject: Re: A NIGHT OR TIME YOU REMEMBER
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:55 pm 

Although I can spill out a few memories, I think this one has merit.
David Morales and I were playing at Glamarama in NYC. iIt was the George Michael after concert party. (yes, George hung out with us) Anyway, I was on the money that night. In the DJ booth, there was a low hanging pipe, you had to mind your head eveytime you went from the left turntable to the right one. Well, I was remixing "Let Me Take You Dancing" Bryan Adams. I went from the left table to the right and I banged my head on the pipe. Morales did not see that happen. I started the mix and then I felt a rush to my head. The mix started to go off beat and I could not control it. I just put the other copy in and cut the mix. It was terrible!!!! My real memory of this night is when that happened, when the mix was done, Morales clenched his fists in the air and said "YES".
For me, that was one of the greatest compliments I ever got from another DJ.
Do you understand what happened??
Pooch

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:19 pm 

I guess nobody else has a memory to share with us. sad.
Pooch

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:01 pm 

DanPooch wrote:
Although I can spill out a few memories, I think this one has merit.
David Morales and I were playing at Glamarama in NYC. iIt was the George Michael after concert party. (yes, George hung out with us) Anyway, I was on the money that night. In the DJ booth, there was a low hanging pipe, you had to mind your head eveytime you went from the left turntable to the right one. Well, I was remixing "Let Me Take You Dancing" Bryan Adams. I went from the left table to the right and I banged my head on the pipe. Morales did not see that happen. I started the mix and then I felt a rush to my head. The mix started to go off beat and I could not control it. I just put the other copy in and cut the mix. It was terrible!!!! My real memory of this night is when that happened, when the mix was done, Morales clenched his fists in the air and said "YES".
For me, that was one of the greatest compliments I ever got from another DJ.
Do you understand what happened??
Pooch

Hey! Pooch.....I think I know what happened here but I am not 100% sure, so I don't want to post my thoughts just yet in case I get it wrong and come across as a dumb-ass. Put me out of my misery and fill me in Pooch please!

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:17 am 

I will try to explain. I played for about 45 minutes already, every mix perfect. David has heard me play before, I played at his birthday party, he knows how I mix, remix, etc.
I am not blowing the horn here, this is how it was. When I blew the mix, David was happy because I blew it. Everytime he heard me play, I was on the money. His reaction was one of joy because I am not perfect. Do you see? For me it was a compliment, because he has never heard me at fault. But he has never told me that I was good. Reacting to the fault, was the actual compliment about me being good. Got it?
Pooch

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:48 am 

DanPooch wrote:
I will try to explain. I played for about 45 minutes already, every mix perfect. David has heard me play before, I played at his birthday party, he knows how I mix, remix, etc.
I am not blowing the horn here, this is how it was. When I blew the mix, David was happy because I blew it. Everytime he heard me play, I was on the money. His reaction was one of joy because I am not perfect. Do you see? For me it was a compliment, because he has never heard me at fault. But he has never told me that I was good. Reacting to the fault, was the actual compliment about me being good. Got it?
Pooch

Got It!..Got It!....thanks for that Pooch!

Here's a story about your good friend David Morales that I may have mentioned befor to other members, nothing spectacular but it certainly was a night that I remember with fond memories!

Back in 1993 I was managing a nighclub in the North East of England. We hired David Morales & Frankie Knuckles to play the club. The club was small, it only had an 700 capacity or so but it always managed to maintain a great atmosphere. Frankie Knuckles was my hero at the time but it was David Morales who blew the roof of the club this night. I remember him behind the booth with his shirt off giving it 110%. I was behind the bar at the time and the place was jumping, condensation was running down the walls and all the mirrors were steamed up, the atmosphere was electric. All of a sudden an intro of a track caused everbody to scream. It was his remix of Mariah Carey's "Dreamlover". This was a monster tune over here in the UK at the time and everbody in the club knew that Mr Morales was gonna milk this track for all of its worth. After a couple of minutes had elasped, he lept from behind the booth and started dancing with all the punters on the dancefloor, still with his top off..Lol This drove the club into a frenzy and everybody was up on there feet dancing no matter where they were in the club. So much so that my bar staff just all lept from behind the bar and join in the fun...Myself...well I just thought f*%k it and I turned off the cash registers and lept over the bar as well to join in the fun!
After 10-15 minutes or so, we all dived back behind the bar to start serving again!
Man!...that dude sure knew how to rock a party!

Board index » DISCO » Remember this ?