Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Various

Post subject: "Yo!! Dj...Do You Take Requests!?"
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:57 pm 

A bone of contention to many a dj. Did you think it was wise to play requests as it is the minority of the dancefloor that wants them or did you like to make everbody feel special by granting there requests or maybe you liked to hoar yourself for them big tips! ("you now who you are!").In the modern world the 'superstar' dj would certainly not entertain the thought of a request...is this right or not?..What was it like back in the day?...Request Or No Request?...that is the question here!
Your comments please!

Post subject: Requests
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:34 pm 

I, was one of the few deejays I know, who took requests, especially if accompanied by money. The more the amount, the quicker it got played. Even if there was no money involved, I always tried to accommodate everyone. Granted, unless there were hundreds of dollars involved, no way would I play certain songs, or change format. Or go from 133 bpm to 98 bpm. But I always had a price. Plus, if I was recording, they were out of luck and had to wait! requests were not a problem for me!

Post subject: Not Me
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:47 pm 

I would say yes, then play whatever I wanted. Even if accompanied by money. I always told them, "this does not guarantee that I will play it". Usually, I just said, NO REQUESTS!

Post subject: My Job
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:49 pm 

As A mobile deejay, playing requests was a must. Did not like it, but I had to!

Post subject: Simple Answer
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:51 pm 

NO

Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:08 pm 

Did not play requests.

On my first DJ job when I was 17 years old (at the LAST LAFF in the Bronx) I was asked to play Frank Sinatra by an elderly (to me at the time) gentleman.
I refused and waxed poetic that nobody plays Sinatra in the middle of the night at a disco and that I didn't have any of his records to play anyways.
Fifteen minutes later, THE OWNER, not the Manager, came to the booth, went into the closet and found some old crusty Frank Sinatra album.
He told me to take off whatever I was playing, and to put on Sinatra immedietly!! He was sweating and shaking.
This was my first taste of the real world.
Later on I found out that I was dissing a 'made guy' and almost got the owner in big trouble with him.
Two weeks later the club was busted by FBI - closed for weapons sales.

Post subject: Never Happened At The Copacabana!!
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:28 pm 

Stuff like that happened elsewhere, but never At The Copa. This club was "beyond" the authorities, at least while I worked there. I do not remember EVER a bust inside the locale. As for playing FRANK in the middle of the night, naw, no way. These guys knew their business, would not ask , unless we were closing, opening, or the place was empty. MOB requests were always handled with more urgency, safer that way. Plus, they tipped much better then $20. I go into detail in my book about things like this. Specifically, trouble I had with the American Gangster himself, FRANK LUCAS.

Post subject: Requests-Pt.2
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:33 pm 

At Tropicalia, my boss Peter Martins used to debate with me about songs I played AND songs I didn't.
When I wasn't in the mood to speak to him I would ignore his taunts about a particular song I was playing...
(He hated "MY LOVE IS FREE" & "LA LA PEACE SONG")
...I would just tell him someone requested it.
He would look at me funny cause he knew I never played requests.

One day he got so annoyed when I shrugged him off with, "It was a request" that he went to the office and made a sign--->"NO REQUESTS" and posted it on the DJ booth door!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:24 pm 

That Peter Martins....what a character. Guys like him must be a dime a dozen in clubland. Wankers. :x I had my fair share of them. I remember I was earning $60 a night- 6 nights a week @ The Carousel Disco In Kings Cross, Sydney 1979. I asked the Manager for $100 to play the New Years Eve & got swung at. I missed my footing & fell to the floor & then he proceeded to kick me (kicking me down with his foot every time I tried to get up) half the length of the room. :o
There were bar staff & about 10 patrons present as well. I never went to the police....there was no point as they were all in cahoots together. Needless to say I left the club after that weekend. :?

Back to requests. Yeah I played them but only if it flowed with what I was playing. :wink:
I can remember about 2-3 times I was offered some money to play them but it was all about the music not the money!
If I'd just played something & someone walked in 30 mins later & wanted to hear it they had to wait for it; sometimes a few hours before I would play it again.
We were playing about 7- 10 hours a night & I felt that if someone frquented my club & had been there at least 3-4 hours that they deserved my attention.
It was definitely a bit of give & take to keep everyone happy.
I would play a request & people would buy me a drink even though I didn't drink! I had them lined up & gave them to the lighting guy! :twisted:
Boy I used to get him pissed!
A guy once asked me to play Barry White "Your sweetnesss is my weakness" @ peak time for $50 in 1980 & I politely explained that I couldn't & refused his money.
Then a bottle of chilled Dom Perignon appeared in a bucket.
I took it back to the bar & swapped it for a coke. :lol:

Last edited by pflext on Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:35 pm 

The only time I would play requests on peak hour if it was going to be played anyways. Other than that, if it was early and I felt like playing it I would. I remember one instance at Club Mystique I was requested to perform a live remix of Shannon "Let the Music Play" by a couple of female groupies and I was more than happy to oblige. Even though they were regulars if the timing wasn't right I would not have played it at the time. After I performed it they were putty in my hands!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:57 am 

I said earlier, that I did not take requests. Let me elaborate. There were people who wanted to hear the same songs all the time. I quickly realized that I would have to be a dick, and not take requests. But I always listened, and only accepted money if I knew I would be playing the song soon. So the real answer should be, sometimes!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:40 am 

I took requests for tRH tomorrow. In fact, I think all my music is nothing but requests.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:22 am 

to me it was important to take requests,it's better to play for the crowd not yourself,birthdays,wind-ups,it was a laff.
then you get the clever bastard,have you got this,have you got that.you know the one,it's the twat that thinks it is the only person there.

then they get the big,no i'm sorry,or something like that.

now i'm a lot older and don't do clubs or pubs any more(except for mates do's),so that's not a problem.on the radio.i always do requests(if i have them).

this gives me an idea. :twisted: :twisted:

ktf.
darren :D 8)

Post subject: You Got To!
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:34 am 

I think, that whenever possible, a deejay should play every request. BUT... I always had a sign that said, "No Requests" in plain, visible sight. Got to keep it to a minimum. And when you play a request for someone, they really feel special. You build a following and acquire "regulars" like that. Plus, in a subtle way, it tells them that money should accompany all requests. And it is a great way of judging the crowd's tastes in music. If you are cleaver, you can make requests a positive thing. Not a stumbling block. Just have to use your brain a little. I made tons of money in the form of "Tips".

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:08 am 
As long as the request isnt Funky Town, I dont mind,otherwise you'll get shot! lol

Board index » DISCO » Various