Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Various

Post subject: Here I Am To Save The Day!!
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:20 pm 

RARE?-- That is how I like my Roast Beef!!--
Truly, I am sort of an expert of the VALUE of records! I have on occasion been asked to evaluate, and estimate record collections, both for an Insurance adjuster, and for friends. But this is a tricky thing to do, because there are a lot of people with "Hidden Treasures". Records that they don't tell anyone about, that no-one knows exist. So when there is a "rare" record, it might not be as "rare" because there are more copies out there then one believes. Jussi, has one! "COLUMBIA" by SYMPHONIC ORCHESTRA is hard to find. It sold poorly and was not pressed in what is called"full rotation". Meaning, less then normal pressing numbers. It is probably worth a few hundred dollars.

The really expensive records are 7" 45's with a picture cover. The rarest of them being the early 50's ELVIS PRESLEY version of "Blue Suede Shoes". I recently appraised a 1964 original Rolling Stones FIRST(US) LP, the one with SATISFACTION on it, for $700 for a former bouncer friend. He got $1100 on ebay. So, as far as $$$$$ value, you guys probably have other records that are worth more. I wish my friend MIXMACHINE, Octavio, was here. He too, has expert knowledge of the value
of old vinyl. BTW, I like to spell vinyl, V-Y-N-I-L, for personal reasons. That is an an example of, "in my own words". When someone says to you, tell me "in your own words", that is a green light to make-up your own words, not words that everyone else uses! I have a lot of those, vynil being one! So get used to it.

Post subject: Is This Rare?
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:56 am 

Guys, I have a orange label, no record company on the label, 12" record that I somehow acquired. It has a sharpie written title and artist name. I GO TO RIO by Peter Allen, dated Dec/1975. What do you think? Is it RARE, worth some money??

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:58 am 

I agree and I think that Disco is relativly cheap to collect. It is because I love the Disco music & vinyl records, that I have combined them. That's the reason why I started to collect 12" disco Ep's.

I buy EP's, mostly because I love the song. I often buy them just to have them, like for example the 12"EP's from Tom & Jerry Records ; I don't think that the song 'on the road again', from the Rockets, is a good song, but I bought it. It'll be hung on my wall together with the other promo 12"EP's from Tom & Jerry... Just to have them... This is where it all began...

What is rare ? What is Limited Editon ? The personal value is the most important one. But offcourse sometimes it's really fun to have bought one that is indeed rare or limited or ....

I'll keep on buying them & collectin them, just as you, Jussi, untill they wheel me into a sanatorium...
I really like the word Discoholic ! i'll remember that, discoguy...

Pete, over 40.000 ? Jesus madra madonna ! Isn't that something for Guiness' book ?

Post subject: Not Even Close!
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:28 am 

I am not even close to a record, never was. Barry Lederer had the most records I ever saw in one apartment. He had at one time, over 100,000 records. After his death, RIP, in June, his records were auctioned off. But he wasn't close either. In 1978, someone offered me 1,000,000 records at ten cents each, plus the store they were in!! I could not come up with the $100,000. But check this out, about a month or more ago, I found this,-On the front page of AOL news!!-"World's largest collection of vinyl, worth $50 million, on sale for $3 million"

Aug 20th 2008 at 2:00PM

Filed under: Extracurriculars, Investing

Those of you who love, and I mean REALLY love music, imagine for a moment owning 3 million LPs and 300,000 CDs covering the full gamete of American music, from Rudy Vallée to Jay-Z, Edison to Enelmedio. All this and more, including EVERY DISCO RECORD EVER RECORDED, can be yours, if the price is right. That price is $3 million.

Over half of the collection of Paul Mawhinney, built over sixty years, is unused, and includes 78s (ask your grandparents), 45 singles, LPs, 12" Promotionals, and CDs. Stated another way, the collection contains 57 YEARS of music. Compare that to the play time on your iPod, if you dare. The collection, which as been appraised at $50 million, is housed in a 16,000 square foot, air-conditioned warehouse.

The owner, publisher of the most recognized guide to buying and selling records, Music Master, hopes to sell the collection to a museum or other not-for-profit that will archive it properly. However, lacking this, he will entertain other offers. According to Gizmodo, Mawhinney's going price du jour is $3 million. What a steal of a deal! Give me a turntable and some Costco emergency food supplies and set me loose in the stacks. I might never be heard from again. LOL

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:14 pm 
Site Admin

DiscoT,

Glad you liked the word "Discoholic" - I think it's a perfect word and I always use it to describe me to people... :wink:
Btw - you're aware the Tom 'n' Jerry label was owned by Tom Moulton and his brother Jerry. Tom and me talks about it in my INTERVIEW with the man.
When talk of rare or treasured records - I do treasure this one...

Just because it's signed by Tom and that makes it impossible for me to open the plastic wrapping of this 4 x LP Picture Disc set.
Also - he had some 20000 CD's in the room where he had his home studio. I had never seen so many CD's at once. And he had LOTS more records in storage elsewhere. I don't think he even knows how much records he owns.

Disco-on !

//Discoguy

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:00 pm 

Starr Inc. wrote:
I still collect vinyl. Although I was around in the 60's and 70's, I missed a lot since BITD I didn't have the money to buy every record I liked. 7' were not that expensive but 12' and albums were. That's one reason.

The second one: I owned legitimate radiostations but I started with pirate radio and I was arrested 3 times for that and the cops confiscated many records so I had to replace 'em.

What do I buy now? Original 70's vinyl, the once I'm missing in my collection, the ones I discover now (records that weren't big in Europe for example) but ...I collect music, not labels, not special editions, I really go for the MUSIC!

My treasure: the clear vinyl of Herb Alpert's "Rotation". Not that rare, it still can be found but it's one of my all time favourite tracks and there's some very warm memories connected to that one. So, to me, it's priceless;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vACvafOvq0

That's a nice 12"!! Wish i had one.

The clearest vinyl (this copy is like glass) record I have is "I Can See Right Through You" by Supercharge. It's a crap song but the vinyl looks great!

I used to have about 15,000 records but have whittled it down to more like 7,000 now. Still a lot of records to move when you have to move house.............

PETE'S NOTE:: Been There, Done That! I have a solution, ...DON'T MOVE!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:13 am 

Wow, coloured vinyl does look nice, doesn't it ? Blue, transparant, yellow, orange, flamed ( light my fire by amii stewart ), it does look kinda cool when you see it turning on the turntable...

I don't understand why most vinyl is black... I do know how vinyl records are being made, but why always use black ? Was it cheaper ?

Do treasure that one, Discoguy ! I like that one better then the one from Abba. :D

[/img]

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:45 am 

discoT wrote:
I don't understand why most vinyl is black... I do know how vinyl records are being made, but why always use black ? Was it cheaper ?

It was certainly not cheaper nor more expensive. Just a hassle to mix the colour in really.
I've sold coloured vinyl against black vinyl for over 15 years & almost always the quality on the black was better.
There is an explanation for it & if I find an article I'll post it.
However................
In the mid 80s there was a group called Fun Fun from Italy I think.
I have pressings on black & transparent red. The red is a better pressing.
But that could be due to whoever mastered the record & callibration settings when mastering.
Confused? :lol:
My favourite piece of coloured vinyl is halfay down this page.

:twisted:
http://www.answers.com/topic/bobby-caldwell

I also have the first ever laser cut vinyl disc of Split Enz - "True Colours".
They were a group from New Zealand & A&M records released it in 1981. No loss of sound quality with laser etched vinyl as far as I know.
There are all these inscriptions in the vinyl that have the colour of mother of pearl. :twisted:
Looks great when you hold it up to the light. :D

http://991.com/Buy/ProductInformation.a ... ber=122434

Click the small black record underneath the album cover for a better look at the actual vinyl. :wink:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:01 pm 

As I recall, Pete also said that coloured vinyl is usually of less quality ? Coloured vinyl was not cheaper nor more expensive, so you should think that quality is the same, no ?

Post subject: Re: Collecting
 Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:16 pm 

You want a serious collectors item???
I have the only known mint condition acetate of "Take Me Home" by Cher.
Now when I say "only known", I mean that back in 1979 when it was released, Casablanca told me they only printed 3 copies on acetate. Here is one for you let me know how your crowd likes it. The tape copy was played for me at the office.
Well the next day, the test pressing came in the mail. I never listened to the acetate copy. It has NEVER been played.
I have lots more collector pieces, but that one is in my top 10 list for sure.
Pooch

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:50 pm 

DanPooch wrote:
You want a serious collectors item???
I have the only known mint condition acetate of "Take Me Home" by Cher.
Now when I say "only known", I mean that back in 1979 when it was released, Casablanca told me they only printed 3 copies on acetate. Here is one for you let me know how your crowd likes it. The tape copy was played for me at the office.
Well the next day, the test pressing came in the mail. I never listened to the acetate copy. It has NEVER been played.
I have lots more collector pieces, but that one is in my top 10 list for sure.
Pooch

F*%K Me! Pooch....Never played, mint condition on acetate, that's an amazing bit of disco history right there!...What other gems have you got tucked away in the loft?
Do you have any idea what you are gonna do with your rare and not so rare records in the future?...do you think you will part with them one day or will they be passed down your family...With what I have seen of your memrobila and the rare music that you have, you are a walking museum of great interest my brother!...
Sing brother!, what else you got tucked away?.....We love info like this Pooch, keep it coming and many thanks!

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:06 pm 

Acetate like that from the masters has got to be LOUD & CLEAR.
Must sound great----I wonder if it held all these years.

My experience with smaller places like Sunshine Sound was that it lasted only several years after pressing. But from Casablanca it still must be cool, eh?

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:51 am 

I do not know how it sounds, I have never played it! It is absolute mint. I showed it to Rob once and I used white gloves to take it out of the sleeve.
Oh, how about an unopened copy of "My Sweer Summer Suite"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F6Uu2Xm_40

Yes I do have some more gems in the collection.
Pooch

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:31 pm 

I have a 12" version of "Trouble Maker" on an acetate from Alan Zentz in Ca. for Casablanca(Oaisis).It is a prototype of some sort because it is actually titled "Mischief Maker"
Same song as "Trouble Maker" except it's sung "Mischief Maker"
It's in a heavy cardboard sleeve and on the front in pen somebody wrote "collector item"
I picked it up in a Village record shop around '81 or '82.
Tried to find out some history about it but came up empty.If anybody has any info that would be great.
I've whittled my collection down to about 20,000 (lp's and mostly 12's) with another 3000
or so 45's.
One of my prized possessions is the wlp 12' Lorraine Johnson/Bill Brandon (More I Get/We Fell in Love)but unlike most people I love it for the Bill Brandon side.Always dug that record from the time I bought the lp(with the free 45 inside :D ) back at the Wiz on Fulton St. in downtown Brooklyn!Anybody remember the cat that used to dj there?He was pretty good!

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:37 pm 

Love that Bill Brandon track!!!
(way better than that Teddy remake by Ms. Johnson, I agree)

I remember that WIZ store; never went inside; I was more of a Bronx native back then.
Do you remember STAN's record shop?
Got alot of my 45s there!!!

I would love to hear that Roberta Kelly track that you have;
why don't you post a lil bit of it here?
It would be quite the scream!!!

Board index » DISCO » Various