Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Various

Post subject: Collecting
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:54 am 

I know that everybody hosting, replying, reading,..on this forum loves DISCO. Some of you guys are really old :) and were 20 in 70's ; others are still so young that they only have the pictures, the vinyl, the books, the movies, the smells, the sounds, the cloths,...but never actually been there... I was there - in the 70's - but as I got born in 76, I cannot really remember clearly...:)

So...we all love disco..., but I was wondering if you guys are actually real disco collectors aswell... Ofcourse for Jay or Pete - who have been DJ's for so many years - they have plenty & plenty and plenty LP's, EP's, Singles,...( probably worth millions & millions )... Myself, I've started collecting 12" disco EP's for several years now ; I have always loved disco, but never really collected them, if you know what I mean... I have only a small collection of 12" disco EP's, but I'm proud of it. I try to focus on promotional EP's, mostly origin US, Engeland,....

I have the promotional 12" EP's from Tom & Jerry Records, some of Salsoul artist,...

Each EP is nicely packed in a PVC cover with a label which mentions Artist, song, year, cat#, label,...

My Piece-de-resistance is the Blue vinyl promotion EP from Tom & Jerry records of their Rockets with On the road again, in mint condition. I know the song, but I haven't played it on my turntable yet...

so, are you guys also still collecting Disco vinyl ? What's your pièce-de-résistance ?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:29 am 

I forgot ; I have about 200 12"disco EP's...

Post subject: What a question!
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:34 am 

I don't know.
One man's candy is another man's garbage.
I have so many that I just love.
Pete came over to the house and told me that my "SPRING RAIN" by Silvetti was a real collector's piece. To me it is an afterthought.

I love my "HIT & RUN" 12" Salsoul promo by Loleatta Holloway.
I love my "MY LOVE IS FREE"-Double Exposure Salsoul 12"

I have different colour records too:
I have "STUBBORN KIND OF FELLA" 12"by Buffalo Smoke in an all white vinyl.
I have "GET IT TOGETHER" - The Jackson 5 in a red vinyl.
I have "HAPPY XMAS" by John & Yoko in a green vinyl.
I have Faith, Hope & Charity's 1976 lp in red vinyl.

Colors don't turn me on. The music does.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:39 am 

Colours don't turn me on either, but if you have an EP in black or coloured vinyl... it's just that little extra to me...

I think that they are a little bit more desirable to collectors as there might be less made in coloured vinyl.

While you were a dj in the 70's, you just got the Promo ep's from companies for free & they asked you to play it ? Is that how it worked ?

Post subject: 70s
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:49 am 

In the beginning when I was starting to DJ in 1974 we were buying records. I then heard from another DJ that the record companies were giving out promo copies to the DJs based on whether you worked in a big club or not.

It broke real big when the DJs proved their worth breaking big hits in the clubs like "LOVE'S THEME"--"ROCK THE BOAT"--"ROCK YOUR BABY".

All you had to do was prove that you worked at a big club; usually by a letter from the club with the liquor licence stamp on it.

Most record companies didn't have the time or the staff to handle this so they used a list from the 20th Century promo guys named Billy Smith. (Pete remembers him)
If you was on his list you were in.

I used to either go to the record company office or they would come to the club. (RCA--20th Century--Scepter/Wand--Deelite--Atlantic--Warner Bros--were labels that supported us early on)

In late '75 or early '76 The Record Pool opened up and the rest is history!!!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:01 pm 

where it the DJ's that made the hits, by playing these songs ( that they got from the record companies ) on and on and on...so people knew the songs and bought them...or was it vice versa...

did record companies only gave you the songs that were already hits ?

if you know what I mean...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:05 pm 

Jay, I think you must have thousands of records, no ?

Post subject: 70s
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:38 pm 

In the beginning they gave us everything and anything. Rock, soul, jazz, anything they were promoting. It got so bad that for every 10 records they gave us only 2 were good, 3 maybe.

I only have 3,000 records left. There are DJ's with so much more than me.
I had a rule---if I didn't even play it at home ONCE in 2 years, it was gone from the collection. I just didn't have the room. Of course in retrospect I wish I hadn't done that. I stopped that policy around '99.

Post subject: TOM TOM CLUB
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:11 pm 

Tom, Record companies had no idea, no experience then. It was all new. I was on all the label's mailing lists, and continued to receive records until 1991. I mean ALL the labels, Motown, WB, CBS, A&M, CHRYSALLIS, ELEKTRA, ATLANTIC, CASABLANCA, 20th CENTURY, MIDLAND, SAM and more! I had little need of a record pool until I came to Miami, in New York, I got my records BEFORE the pools! Sometimes weeks or months before. But I was at The Copacabana, and that was a very big name club in 1974-75. No Studio 0r Paradise Garage yet! At first, 12" versions were made strictly for deejays. They were all NEW songs, new releases. WE made them hits! Then the radio picked them up. But that was the way it was, Discos first, radio second, am radio last! Look up in VARIOUS an article I wrote called "DISCO, Why The Term Had To Go". I explain in there how the record labels sent hundreds of records a day to the pools! Jay was wrong when he said 2 out of 10 records were good. When I ran the Florida Record Pool, it was more like 2 out of a 100 were good! It got real bad. Real bad! So bad, I made furniture out of the bad vinyl, but as Jay said, One Man's Poison is another mans wine. I ended up trashing a lot of good vinyl. I regret my foolishness. But when you had two large bedrooms full, from floor to ceiling of records, and 98% of them sucked, it became impossible to handle. Oh, and don't ever move!! It would literally break your back. At one point, in 1984, I had over 40,000 12" and lps!! Today, I have scattered around, about two or three thousand left. Only the strong survived(remember that one!). But a Collector? I am not, just a deejay. The most prized record I own, besides my 6 or 7 copies of MY MALE CURIOSITY, is 1 album by TITANIC that has "Rain 2000" on it. It is the inner most track, and the outer most track has a crack in it. But I don't care, few people have RAIN 2000! Then I treasure the early JOHN DAVIS LP's, before 12" arrived! Great stuff. As for TOM N' JERRY records, only the PULSAR LP is any good to me, but I am just a deejay, not a collector. BTW colored vinyl, looks good, but usually, their sound quality is sub-par in comparison with Black vinyl. You Go Tom, Great Question!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Tom !

I see myself more like a "Discoholic" and collector with very small DJ ambitions... :wink:
But for my collection I think I cherish all of them and there are many favorites no matter if they're highly priced or not.
But one of the ones I was most happy when I found was this one...

Image Image

YES - ABBA (as I guess everyone was kind of expecting it in here).
It's a Swedish PROMO ONLY 12" release of "Voulez-Vous" in clear see-through blue vinyl. It's in as close to mint condition you can get and I have only seen it the one time I bought it. It's said there were only around some 300 pressed...

But as said before in this thread - what is worth top $$$ to some, might be worth nothing to others. I try to focus my collecting on tracks I love... I want a collection of good music (even if there's lots of trash as well - sadly)...

Good luck with your collecting and Disco-on !

// Discoguy

Last edited by Discoguy on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:58 pm 

I still collect vinyl. Although I was around in the 60's and 70's, I missed a lot since BITD I didn't have the money to buy every record I liked. 7' were not that expensive but 12' and albums were. That's one reason.

The second one: I owned legitimate radiostations but I started with pirate radio and I was arrested 3 times for that and the cops confiscated many records so I had to replace 'em.

What do I buy now? Original 70's vinyl, the once I'm missing in my collection, the ones I discover now (records that weren't big in Europe for example) but ...I collect music, not labels, not special editions, I really go for the MUSIC!

My treasure: the clear vinyl of Herb Alpert's "Rotation". Not that rare, it still can be found but it's one of my all time favourite tracks and there's some very warm memories connected to that one. So, to me, it's priceless;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vACvafOvq0

Post subject: Rotation
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:12 pm 

I have that 12"---The clear one, and it sounds great.
"ROTATION" was Herb's follow-up to his #1 song "RISE", which was also played alot in clubs.

I heard a DJ play that in 45 rpm with another song mixed in. I was amazed.
I also like the one Herb Alpert did with Janet Jackson: "DIAMONDS".
That was the jam also!!!!

Post subject: Herb Alpert
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:46 am 

Back in 1979-80, when I ran the Florida Record Pool, for some reason A & M records sent us 1000 records of the see through vynil. There were only 175 members. So I gave everyone two copies of each. Then gave away the rest at the club that night. It also happened with RISE. I hated both those songs, hated too strong a word, more like was sick of! I would play them at 45 RPM, mix in things like Nightlife Unlimited with it. With so many copies. I don't own one now!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:56 am 

I'll be collecting vinyl until I'm wheeled to a sanatorium, or to a morgue. Or go deaf ( is that tinnitus I hear somewhere below the left side of my brain?). I have an inbuilt need for cheesy euro 7-inchers. Ludicrious bad taste sleeves, must buy each one if only for the imagery.
I don't know just how rare the items I believe to be rare in fact are, but I've been informed the following are not too easy to come by, very expensive and therefore desirable. The top 3 of my vinyl collection:
1. The "Columbia" lp by the Syncophonic Orchestra, penned and arranged by Alec R Costandinos.
2. "Babe" 7-inch by The Crazy Colours Orchestra. A vocoder voice growls over a great synths & strings backing. It's not THAT fantastic but I sure like to flaunt it.
3. "Crazy Chat" 12" by Rosa Fumetto - I don't think most would consider this a treasure, just because it's rare does not make a record any good does it? Still, I adore this particular obscurity performed by a fab-sounding Italian starlet. Several people have come up screaming "What the hell IS this track!?". Love it more than my yellow Puma sneakers made excusively for the Tokyo market. - Heather Parisi, Marisa Mell, Gloria Guida, Nadia Cassini, Rosa Fumetto and the rest of the Italian low budget movie actresses / tv show hostesses / general trash queens who did disco like are so irresistible, even to many straight guys.

Post subject: vinyl treasures
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:56 am 

My Top 10 vinyl treasures:

1-Maynard Ferguson - Pagliacci/Primal Scream - Columbia Records promo - AS 213
2-Rhythm Makers - Can You Feel It/Zone - Vigor Records promo - VSD 733
3-Miroslav Vitous - New York City - Warner Bros promo - PRO 632
4-Tavares - Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel - Capitol Records promo - SPRO 8382
5-Andrea True Connection - More,More,More - Buddah Records promo - DISCO 102
6-Idris Muhammad - Could Heaven Ever Be Like This - KUDU Records promo - KUDU 3318/3319
7-Dunn Pearson - Groove on Down - Red Greg Records promo EP - DISCO 001
8-The Brothers - Under The Skin - RCA Records promo EP - DJL 1-1893
9-Toni Silvester And The New Ingredient - Pazuzu - Mercury Records disco sampler - MK 20
10-Fatback Band - Spanish Hustle - Polydor/Event Records promo - PRO 006

Serious addicted to vinyl :D

Board index » DISCO » Various