Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Various

Post subject: Today's Music
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:45 am 

I'm just curious. How many of you guys/gals like today's music? This includes trance, house etc. No rap or hip hop. But what's considered dance music today. I for one like a lot of what's out there. Most of it has remnants of disco in them. Please chime in with a yea, nay or your thoughts on the music.

Post subject: HA!!
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:55 am 

Ray,
Todays dance music has a resemblance to old Disco. But it isn't Old DISCO. I love DISCO, they don't call their music DISCO. So let me think, how could I express how I feel? The question is, how do I like Today's music. LAME is a good word. NAY answers your question. Yes I am predictable, I love OLD DISCO MUSIC!! Occasionally I will hear something I approve of. But my approval and a buck-fifty still won't get you on a bus!

Post subject: Today's Music??
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:40 am 

Today, there are some songs that sound like Disco, but they sound like the songs that Disco rejected! So I too say NAY!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:46 pm 

Sorry to hear you two say that. I don't think you've listened carefully. But hey, it's your taste. Anyways, I know of a few who thought the same until they really listened to the music and all the sounds deep within. A lot of tracks are very unique.

The best way to generally describe the trance genre is that of dance music based around rifts and anthems, which can be either highly energetic or very chilled out. Trance tracks often intermix major and minor chords to create "epic" sounding, similar to classical organ music. Uptempo, uplifting and often euphoric energetic synthesized sounds pumped by a beat and massive hooks, often with long breakdowns building slowly to create a tension and expectancy on the dance floor. Often with driving off-the-beat basslines and utilizing major and minor chords in sequence.

Post subject: REMEMBER -----PARTY 93- Radio Station
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:55 pm 

Ray, you remember about five years ago in Miami, they attempted to bring today's Dance Music to the masses down here with FM Station, PARTY 93 ??
I got into it a little then(I mean, I listened), but most of the music was, or sounded like recycled music from our day. But it did very well for about a year. They failed because they were a skeleton crew, and did little commercial sales. The object of a radio station was/is to make profit. They didn't! George Alvarado, the Godfather(as He Was Called) would spin for them. So I actually enjoyed it while it lasted.

Last edited by Pete Denis on Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:28 pm 

If we are talking the mainstream dance songs that are overplayed and overkilled on the radio, Nay. For the most part, it is too banal and trite for my tastes. Brittney, Madonna, Beyonce, Mariah, they all annoy the hell out of me. Same goes for the boy bands that they push towards the teens.

I DO like quite a bit of the underground dance/synthpop music that is popular these days. Some of it is actually popular in goth clubs if you can believe it.

There were a LOT of tracks from the Queer as Folk soundtracks that were smoking hot too.

Many songs of today are swiping sampled bits from older disco songs and reworking it. Imagine my surprise when I heard the Jackie Moore This Time Baby sampled into a song about a year ago.

Post subject: RIHANNA
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:41 pm 

Hey, I love that RIHANNA song that takes a sample of Michael Jackson. I would burn that song out today. And I love poor little BRITTNEY, just hoping to get a woody, I would play her music! And some of Cristina Aguilara's stuff I would play too. But only because it SOUNDS like Old Disco!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:33 am 

Party 93 changed genre to Rock because there were no Rock stations in this market and it was a business move that made sense at least to their management. Anyways, Party 93 still exist if you have an HD radio. I hear it every day. Yes, they are back and in the same station. With the new HD radio transmissions it is possible to simulcast multiple stations on the same bandwidth. 93.1 has two, HD1 which is rock and HD2 which is dance music.

By the way George was called the "Professor".

The music I'm talking about is from the Paul van Dyk's, Paul Oakenfold's, Tiiesto' etc.

Last edited by djrayj on Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: New Stuff
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:05 am 

I like some newer dance artists.
But it is few & far between.
I loved that "Keep Your Body Workin" that came out last year with vocals by Martha Wash.
I love Jamiroquai's stuff.
I dug Madonna's whole CD "Confessions of A Dance Floor" couple of years back.
Also Armand Van Helden's music. "YOU DON'T KNOW ME" from '99 is one of my all time favs.
I even like "MAGIC" by Robin Thicke (samples Destination)

But they all have something in common. They sample music from the old days.

Post subject: LAME-- NAY
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:16 am 

There is nothing out there I like. Has been for years. My sons do the gigs now-a-days, but they tell me REGGETTON and Rap are the crap that is played. It is NAY.

Post subject: Re: LAME-- NAY
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:06 am 

DJ Ed Martin wrote:
There is nothing out there I like. Has been for years. My sons do the gigs now-a-days, but they tell me REGGETTON and Rap are the crap that is played. It is NAY.

Have you heard any Paul van Dyk, Tiiesto or Motorcycle?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:25 am 

sure, I like today's dance music aswell...some I like, some I don't. Artists as the Chemical Brothers, Faithless, Daft Punk are really good...

I think that there's a lot of Disco influence on today's dance music aswell ; some artists just use the same music, but only change the words. Last year I think, there was this group Alcazar singing ' Crying at the discotheque ', but this was actually almost the exact same song as Sheila B Devotion's song called Spacer...

Post subject: I like today's music
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:26 am 

djrayj, I like today's music. exactly - disco-house. it's great because of it is builded on the Disco! I have good collection of good house.
I very like disco-house that it is takes best disco tune samples, accelerate it and escalating. Concentrated disco!
And look at this:
http://www.inlounge.de/e107_plugins/hou ... /guide.php
:D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:20 pm 

Good example of disco-house I like is the
'2006 Tokyo Disco' album by V.A.
Available to downloading here:
http://infostore.org/info/797452

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:47 pm 

How would you all like to hear a mixed set of some of the most recent dance music? This is particularly for Ed (being that he believes there's no good dance music these days).

Come on Ed! Give it a good listen, I bet you will like at least some of them.

Board index » DISCO » Various