Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Various

Post subject: Dancing
 Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:23 pm 

Hi everyone,
Im 17 years old and I have a problem. I can't dance. I mean, I can feel a beat and nod my head and this stuff, but I don't know how to dance. A lot of people tell me when u go into a disco, just dance as u want. BUT I CANT! I need to have some kind of pattern and I want to know I'm doing the right thing.

Could I just walk into a disco and dance like instructed on this site? Would it look stupid?

http://www.disco-disco.com/disco/steps.shtml

I would really appreciate your help.

Greetings,

JonathanF.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:59 am 
Site Admin

Hi Jonathan,

I would agree with your friends telling you to just dance as you want...
I guess these steps in my page would be of more use if you're joining a Disco dance night. But maybe you can use some of the steps as a base, but today not many people do these kind of routines on a dance floor (unfortunately). Most people only move their feet to the beat from side to side.
So just get in there and watch the others and copy the ones you think are doing IT !

Good luck and Dance-on !

//Discoguy

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:07 pm 

Thanks a lot, Discoguy. Sadly, I can't just walk into a disco... :cry: Next time I go to a disco I want to be able to dance properly and take part. Are there some videos with people dancing in a disco on the net. I could copy them. or some instructional videos... I know, this sounds stupid.

I would really appreciate the help.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:20 pm 

Hi Jonathan,

Couldn't help but feel your plight after reading your post, so i thought i'd give you the benefit of what minute amount of wisdom i have. Having dj'd for a few years i've seen a lot of bad dancers, and i mean real bad dancers. You know, the one's who have no sense of rhythm and thrash their bodies about, bless em. You have rhythm, and that's all you need to start with.

First off, watch 'everyone' while your at the edge of the dancefloor nodding your had in the funkiest of fashions. Spot a few dancers who you think you would like to dance like and copy them. You don't have to be blatant, just the odd subtle move while you're nodding and tapping. No one will notice you, if you look around you'll see most people will be watching the dj or talking amongst friends.

You'll find a move you feel comfortable in no time. Once you've got that down, move on to another move you saw someone doing and give that a go. Pretty soon you'll have a few moves under your belt and your own little touches. Then check you out, your dancin! And if you've pinched a few peoples moves so what, you've made em your own and you'll be right in the groove.

Personally i like to keep it simple, just steady grooving until a tune really does something and i really give it some. I couldn't explain how i dance, i tend to shake my ass and hips and give it plenty of arms and shoulders in summat that could hardly be called a style, but i like it and dancing makes me feel rather good. As it's supposed to.

Hope this helps a little, i love having a dance, and this is more or less how i learned and i've had the odd compliment over the years.

Damn that was a long reply :lol:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:22 pm 
Site Admin

Jonathan,

Just as DJTastic says... You say you got the rhythm and then you've half-way through already. Follow his suggestions - move in, while nodding your head to the beats check out the moves of the ones you think are doin' just what you would like to do. I'm pretty sure you'll get a grip of things in notime.
There are sooooo many people who can't even get one beat right and they're dancing and frankly I don't think no one really cares. It's basically just a matter of having fun and enjoying the music, beats and meeting people.
So, just by recognize the rhythm you WILL be a success if you just get in there and dare !!!
So, what are you waiting for... Get on the floor and DANCE !!!

GOOD LUCK !

//Discoguy

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:44 pm 

Wow! This is just the kind of help I needed. Both of you, Discoguy and djtastic, thanks a lot! :D

I think I'll give it another try, just go into some disco, watch...learn. I don't have a lot of friends, it wouldn't matter if I go there alone, would it?

Allright I got the motivation! 8)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:34 am 
Site Admin

GREAT ! :D

Happy to hear you got the motivation now and right - you can go alone to a club. That way you'll probably have even better chances to connect with other people - make new friends !

Good luck to you and DANCE-on !

//Discoguy

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:37 am 

Nice one Jonathan!

Glad to see you're going for it. And like Discoguy said, don't worry about going into a club by your self. Going clubbing properly for the first time is a bit of adventure, all that music you've hopefully never heard before, all the smiling faces on the dancefloor and all the tremendous nights out you're going to have. You might not meet your new best friend or figure out your moves straight away, but you're gonna have fun, and that's what it's all about. So go enjoy yourself mate, the dancefloor's your oyster!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:00 pm 

Thanks a lot for the kind words. I plan on visiting a disco during this or the next week-end. I live near Berlin, and I found quite a lot of addresses there. First of all, my only goal is to observe, it would be too early to start dancing... :?

The problem is I need to find a really "open" place, where there are often new people...

I'll let u guys know how it worked! Tomorrow it the day. :wink:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:06 pm 

So, today I visited the Disco...together with one friend. We went in there at about ten o'clock.

It was very full, the music was very loud, in fact it was so loud one could hardly speak. In the middle there was a dance floor, there were people dancing 80% girls, most of the boys were standing around. Smoking, standing around. Me and my friend were just standing around being bored. We didn't have the guts to dance. We didn't get to know anyone else...how are we supposed to...

However it was still a nice experiance. I oredered one beer and watched a football (soccer) match on a screen that was put up. 8)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:59 pm 
Site Admin

Jonathan,

You've had your first Disco experience... Welcome to the Club world.
So did you pick up some nice dance moves from the girls (as they're usually better dancers for some reason)?
Music is often very loud at Clubs but that's part of the culture of Clubbing I guess, even if you sometime could wish there would be some places in the club where you can have some kind of "normal" conversations.
But the fact that most of the guys in that Club just were standing around the dance floor would probably make the chances better for the guys who dare to enter the dance floor actually. Most women like guys who dance - even if the guy is not the greatest dancer. And on the floor you might see someone interesting and get to start talking - complementing her dancing or whatever to get a conversation started... :D
So call your friend and go down there again - maybe you want to try another Club (as the crowd vary with the Clubs). Maybe there's some other club that you will like even better !

Good luck and Disco-on !

//Discoguy

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:06 am 

ITS ALL CALLED RYTHM YOU GOT IT OR YOU DONT, ALSO NOTE TIMES HAVE CHANGED BACK IN THE DAYS HUSTLING WAS IT, AND IF YOU NEW HOW AND WERE GOOD YOU HAD ALL THE LADYS, IT WAS LOTS OF TECHNIC AND MOVES, TODAY IS MORE LIKE WHATEVER ALL FREE STYLE ETC SO GO OUT HAVE A FEW DRINKS AND LET LOOSE.

Post subject: Dance The Hustle!!
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:56 pm 

C

Last edited by Pete Denis on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:31 pm 

here I am you all, this is Landy, I am a profecional dancer of latin and disco music, and an ex DJ. I have been dancing all my life.
this is for Jonathan, my young friend, you have seen a lot of different advise here and most of is good from each individuals point of view as a dancer, most dancers dont know how to explain or to teach some one how to dance or how to listen to music so most of them made sence in their own way.
if you were any where near McAllen Texas I would invite you to my studio and in one week, you would be dancing, if it is in your heart to do so, I will tell what happened to me the first day I went to the 747 lounge in Miami springs in the early 70's, i asked a girl to dance and she looked at me up and down and said no, I then asked my buddy next to me, why she looked at me like that and he said 2 things, she does know you and second she does know if you can dance, so I went home and started to listen to the music and started to get the groove by keeping the beat with my heals and clapping to the beat until i noticed that I was on beat with the song, then I went back to the club and started to count their steps and figured it out, with in 6 months of that and still in high school I had rented a studio and started to teach.
it takes practice and a lot of EAR, I mean you need to focus and find the beat that every song has and then you will learn to keep the beat by tapping on your heal or by hand clapping, find the beat in sets of 8 counts and then you will start to understand the tempo of the music , if your asking to learn to dance free style, this information above will get you started, if you are asking to dance with a partner, that is a totally different world of music, because now you need to count steps, please let me know what your intentions are in dancing and I will help become a dancer. and remember this: Dance as if no one is watching you. MAY GOD BLESS YOU. :D
your friend
Orlando (Landy)

Post subject: That was free!
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:36 pm 

E

Last edited by Pete Denis on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Board index » DISCO » Various