Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Various

Post subject: Which came first?
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:53 am 

I do believe that Ed may have something. Drugs were around before Discos, so maybe Drugs influenced Disco. If Cocaine had not infiltrated the night life???????............... But it DID!!

Post subject: Memories
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:51 pm 

Drugs and Disco. I always assumed they were inseparable as a kid. I knew of nothing other that this. Too young I guess. he is my take. I did a lot of cocaine, smoked weed, did ludes. It was bad. I did things I would not normally do, and like CRISTINA, sings"BLAME IT ON DISCO" Listen to those lyrics. That was me!! You should know Pete & Ray. How often did we party Every chance we could. I remember smoking a joint with you two under the HILTON sign!! What a night that was! How about "un Pase"! The lyrics to BLAME IT ON DISCO is my story!!

Post subject: That is very funny....
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:57 pm 

That is very funny...... you talking about me," he was a hedonistic son of a gun". Great song! Look for it in my next set from The Ranch House. Now those days!! I really don't remember, I was there so often. seriously, of course I remember. Great times, going up there getting "U'ded". It was part of the way it was. Disco & Drugs, the same thing, some places!! Thanks for reminding me, good memories!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:32 am 

Jay, many a DJ didn't reach there ultimate potential due to the drugs. Pete and I and many others we knew fall in this category. There is no doubt that drugs screwed up many lives. Many of us survived and moved onward in a life without disco and drugs. I pretty much have made a good career away from being a DJ. But miss deejaying.

Both Pete and I were in an incredible position in the day. We could've been world stars as the likes of Tiesto and Paul van Dyk but we traded that for other things.

Disco did not "invent" drugs it just glorified it. Drugs have been around a very long time. Coke at one point had cocaine as one of its ingredients. Thomas Edison drank wine laced with cocaine. How do you think he could stay up for days at a time without sleep inventing stuff?

Disco just made cocaine, Quaaludes and other drugs cool. Rockers were more into heroin, speed, lsd and acid. The thing is that rock did not make these types of drugs cool. I mean who would want to look like Keith Richards? He is one scary looking dude!

One thing is for sure. I miss creating the excitement on the dance floor with my music and mixing. There's nothing other than maybe winning a super bowl, World Series or the birth of your child that can make you feel that way.

I know many a retired DJ that still have it in their blood and will never go away. That longing for that feeling of euphoria (in my opinion).

I had the best drug I could ever have, it was free, it was non-toxic, it was non-harming, it was right there all along. "DISCO". HIND SIGHT IS TWENTY-TWENTY. NUFF SAID.

Post subject: Very good.
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:42 am 

Give my main man some props, very well said. It is true, Disco was the best of all highs. It was more fun too. What I want to know, is why did we use it to mix better, then it hurt to mix on it? When did that happen? It went from improving what I was mixing, to hurting my mixing. Was that when it had control of me?

Post subject: Re: Very good.
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:49 am 

Pete Denis wrote:
Give my main man some props, very well said. It is true, Disco was the best of all highs. It was more fun too. What I want to know, is why did we use it to mix better, then it hurt to mix on it? When did that happen? It went from improving what I was mixing, to hurting my mixing. Was that when it had control of me?

Pete. I'm sorry to say that it really never made you or any one else mix or perform better. It was all an illusion. The drugs were talking, nothing else. If you did not have the talnet to begin with, no amount of drugs could give you that talent. No matter what anyone says, drugs did not make anyone perform, create or what ever better. It was the illusion that it did. The only other thing that using drugs while performing did was to prove that you could perform under the influence. That is talent not the drugs. Drugs have been proven to impare performance.

Post subject: A Joint Always Helped
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:45 am 

Ray my sweetie, I disagree with you. I always thought that a quick joint relaxes you, gets you in tune with the music better. How many times while you were stoned, you put on the headphone, and you hear that beat easier and faster. It sort of flows through you. Now Cocaine was much different. There I do believe you mixed under the influence. It made me nervous. That is why I couldn't do it while working. Parting is different! But we are talking about the Old Days!

Post subject: YES YES
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:10 am 

Miss Pink Lady, with respct to you but I thnk Ray did not mean the sometimes green thing. He means the wite and other bad things. But to much of green can mak you slo. I know I visited that place.

Post subject: WEED RULES!!
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:16 am 

WEED RULES! What country has never been to war? NEVER! The one known world wide for weed, JAMAICA!! That should tell everyone something.

Post subject: A Post from elsewere!
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:30 am 

This is a response to this article, it just was not from someone here."OK Everybody here is forgetting something way more important which is the influence of drugs on the constitution of the music itself. And it is all too obvious that disco and it’s repetitive monotonous beat, 10 minute tracks and percussion orgasms is obviously the result of producers making music on coke and speed. Everybody knows that both drugs, but especially amphetamines, make tedious work fun cause they continually reuse the dopamine in your brain cells, so you start liking stereotypical things, speed demons all have these tics where they tap their feet or something.
Of course dancing to such music takes tremendous energy especially all night long. The music got faster when the drug culture and gay cultures reached their apex (late seventies and early eighties). This was not only in disco music. In rock music, speed and thrash metal emerged at the same time. It is a reflection of America’s obsession with speed, media, the buzz, the buzz."

Posted by: Cédric Van der Hauwaert

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:19 pm 

cocaine addiction must be a terrible thing, Unluckily DJing is one of the professions fitting well to get addicted

the only addicts I know are dealers or people working in the night life

thankgod crack never really reached europe that strong

I also don t think discos have braught th drug problem to the world, but drugs and especially coke are part of the "magic" of a disco night

Post subject: Be Greatful
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:03 am 

All I can say, is be grateful, that in Europe, CRACK did not destroy your neighborhoods, or your youth. Disco was not responsible for CRACK!! But, I saw a lot of Disco people get screwed up by it. It was a Plaque!

Post subject: Drugs in Asia
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:56 pm 

I can tell everyone this, Disco was not responsible for Drugs in Asia. There were opium dens centuries before Disco. It is a sad sight indeed when one walks the streets of Cities in Asia, and see the homeless on the street, falling asleep standing up. Wait that could be any city in the US as well!

Board index » DISCO » Various