Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Various

Post subject: The Influence Of Drugs And Disco
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:28 am 

A

Last edited by Pete Denis on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Touchy Subject Matter
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:42 am 

Pete, this sucks. Not what I want to read on this site. But I understand why you are going to this extremely touchy subject. As Pete is well aware of, he has done his(and many others)share of drugs. I never even had a joint! DRUG FREE! Always been. My two sons too. Pete actually stirred them away from it, by his negative example, and his constantly telling them how wrong it is."Do What I tell you, not what I do" he would say. So I appreciate that. As for this subject matter, I had a ringside seat to it all. Saw how it came to dominate the Disco scene here in Miami. How Cocaine made young beautiful women COKE WHORES. How rich men used the white powder to corrupt anyone and everyone. The very worst of times. The Police became as criminal as the ones selling it. They murdered, stole and almost destroyed Miami! Pete was right in the middle of all this. He fought drugs and cops to stay alive, so it is touchy for him.
I believe, that Disco did harm the youth of America, it changed the world, and not for the better! I Love Disco, the concept, the music. But it almost screwed everything and everyone up! It made us a country of addicts. It probably would have happened anyhow, but Disco was the vending machine of Cocaine!!

Post subject: I was there!
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:27 am 

Ed, you can really be anal. Why you bring Pete into your post? What he do to you? Made you money, helped you out. Was a friend to you and your kids. You threw him under the bus. Telling people about the dark side of Pete. You kiss his ass all the time, then you do this, tell everyone his shit? Ass****!!---Listen, everyone in the disco era did the "goodies" and with Pete working in the places he worked, he experienced some really bad times. What matters is that he is here today, sharing his times, his music, his experiences and his soul. Drugs obviously influenced his life and his history in that era. So he f**k** up. Who is perfect. And if you are reading this now, he shows his integrity, by sticking to his beliefs, even at a cost to him. This is ironic, Drugs and disco? It affected him, so we know his thinking. But like you believe in your catch phrase, DO THE RIGHT THING, Pete Did The Right Thing!--- My position,.... It affected every form of life in America. If you think about it for a while.If you can; remember how it was before, then see how it is now because of that era. There were no clubs back then. Not in comparison to how it is today. Let's say there were 1000 clubs in New York City before 1973. After disco came and changed the world, there were 10,000. Of course those numbers are not accurate. But you get my idea. Everyone hits the clubs. They party with no abandon. Consume drugs that kill! Cocaine was the thing in the DISCOS. Don't deny it, you KNOW that I speak the truth! The religious fanatics told the world that these clubs would ruin their children. You know what. They were right! Shit! They were right!!! We brought the drugs front and center, and it carried out into the streets, and the cities. The schoolyards! The parks. We made Drugs so fuc**** cool that we created a whole new way of life in America. The Drug culture. And it was so big, and so powerful, that it's victims are the poor, the rich and the middle-class, and it treats them all the same. A viciousness that never existed before emerged in society. YES it changed the world! All of a sudden, the powerful United States Government goes to war against drugs! It changes the way kids are taught in schools, they way they are raised. The shootings in the streets were the victims of this war that was being fought in Discos, clubs, gay and straight! Day and night! The streets turned so incredibly violent and dangerous that the parents don't let their kids go out as much. So they discover the personal computer! WE DID THIS!! The DISCO/DRUG ERA!! The money from this culture builds cities; corrupts everyone, from the cops to the President Reagen and Oliver North. The money to build schools and help pay for medical care for all goes instead on this foolish WAR ON DRUGS!! The Prisons are overflowing because of those convicted of minor and major drug influenced crimes!! Has Drugs changed the world??? Stupid question, obvious answer!! Was Disco responsible, you already bet your life, it did!! I was there!!! We all were there!!We helped change the world. Like it or not. For better or for worse, we changed the fuc**** world!!! Forgive my ranting. It was a heartfelt response. And I feel very comfortable in saying this, I KNOW that Pete feels the same, we have talked about this many times. WE did this. Not by ourselves, but we started it!!

Post subject: Thanks Guys!
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:16 pm 

W

Last edited by Pete Denis on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:42 pm 

Pete, guys, I can not speak for the States but I can for Europe. Even today, our newspapers have published an official report on how NOW, TODAY, cocaïne has made a big return and is fastly replacing XTC as the number 1 PARTY drug. Seems that it has never been beaten, it just roars it's ugly head again.

Now, I never touched drugs in my whole life and I had a lot of fun when I was going out. So it can be done: you can enjoy yourself without that sh*t!

As for Pete, he's very courageous to speak up and he certainly doesn't promote the stuff. He knows that it will make you dependent and eventually kill you! What he has done, is done. You can't change the past but we can all warn the youth that when you start to use that stuff, the only way is down and it will be very hard to beat that addiction.

I can tell, I'm not a hypocrit, I smoke (normal cigarettes and cigar), I want to quit but it's damn difficult!

And I will finish with one quote, non Disco but coming from George Martin, producer of The Beatles: "Everybody always asks me that if The Beatles made such innovative and landmark music, it was thanks to the drugs that opened up their spirits and made them go beyond everything. I don't , I always ask myself what great and amazing stuff that they would have made if they hadn't touched the ####!"

Post subject: How About In The 70's & 80's?
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:20 am 

S

Last edited by Pete Denis on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:01 pm 

Drugs and Disco
Well I don't see how disco was solo responsible for the drug era, drug have been around before some of us were even born. Well lets go back in time some to the sixties the hippy era, sexual era, bikers era, where marijuana wasn�t the only drug they had acid,lsd, hash, opium, heroin, and many other drugs they had wood stock lots of rock concerts which were around before disco, so it was already in the making way back. As to the mid 70�s to about the mid eighty�s that�s when cocaine, mesk, Quaaludes, black beauty�s and all other drugs started getting more popular due to times changing it was a new era for new music , new times, more clubs keep coming out and people started to party more. It was a younger crowd/ generation it was a time that people enjoy going out dancing having innocent fun it was a new sexual generation again, and let�s not blame the music for crime, we all know crime is always been there, did it get worst yes a new cycle of time, is it worst today yes it is. Well we all know where there�s money to be made someone will figure out how to corner the market and that�s where clubs started getting the reputation for drugs, but mostly it was the owners of these places who were responsible for a good portion of the drugs and money that use to cycle in clubs and on the streets don�t you think a good part of America was build on drugs look at N.Y. and Miami, Chicago just some of the few. So weather you did drugs or not they always been around you, and they always will be depending where you go and where you live and where you are. As for people that used drugs depending on the type of drugs it was a recreational thing for most people, that went along with all the partying and drinking, I myself wasn�t no stranger to some of these drugs like cocaine which I consider a quick pick me upper and the ladies favor drug, he who had the white ruled especially with the ladies, marijuana which I think a good percentage of all people in this planet have try at one time or another, and my favor was a little pill called mesk/ pinheads which you pop and got an energetic high that all you did was dance and dance and had a smile on your face worth a million dollars the whole night that you could �not hide, and the high would last 6 to 10 hours depending on the number of hits do did. Today I�m clean and happy and lucky, I guess on happy to have live in a good era, I wouldn�t change this for nothing. As to all the drugs and crime today they are worst, and times as we know then from the past have changed, but you will always have your memories to share, and that�s something no one can�t take from you.
Will relate some more on topic some other time.
Long live the DISCO era

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:04 pm 

HEY GUYS , DRUGS WAS PREVALENT SINCE THE BEATLES INTODUCED IT TO THE MASSES , SO TO BLAME IT ALL ON DISCO I THINK IS GOING OVERBOARD. I GRANT YOU THAT THERE WAS A MAJOR DRUG PROBLEM DURING THE DISCO ERA , ( I KNOW , I WAS THERE ) BUT I WAS ALSO AN EYE WITNESS OF ALL THE POT , LSD , RODER 714 , HEROIN , SPEED PILLS , YELLOW OR BLACK , AND OF COURSE COCAINE . NOW WE HAVE CRACK , DATE DRUGS , EXCTACY , ETC........ WE HAVE BEEN BOMBARDED WITH DRUGS FOR QUITE SOMETIME NOW , AND FRANKLY ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVED.
PETE , YOU ARE A SURVIVOR AND AN INSPIRATION , IF WE ALL JUDGED PEOPLE ON THEIR PAST, WHY HAVE A FUTURE ? YOUR LEGACY WILL BE DETERMINED WITH WHAT YOU DO WITH YOUR LIFE FOR THE REST OF YOUR EXISTANCE SO CONTINUE KICKING ASS AND TELLING IT HOW IT IS.
PS... THE YANKEES AND ANGELS SUCK

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:03 pm 

One thing is for certain, the pot back then is not like the formaldehyde dipped stuff that is peddaled to people today, thereby eating holes in their brains.

Post subject: POTHEAD!!
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:47 pm 

As a certified expert on weed, I don't have holes in my brain. But lapses in memory are said to be from weed. I think that getting old has something to do with that. I remember getting the Jamaican weed from the middle of Miami's roughest neighborhoods, it was the best! Today these kids spend ridiculous amounts of money on the CHRONIC, it is no-better the the "Dime Bags" I used to get, right Mackie!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

From my point of view I think everyone seems to have a bit right in this thread...

Like Eli & Chulo I don't think one can blame Disco for the drug scene itself. Because with the Flower Power and Hippie movement, well there was a few substances involved there as well, but maybe the Disco scene boom with Disco's in every corner gave the dealers a chance to get inside instead of being out on the streets.

I also guess the drug use could be related to the kind of Club and how popular it was. As I guess the hotter Club, the more $$$ would be spent there and I'm sure dealers had a great nose for that...

I'm pretty sure there were more or less drugs everywhere, but I think it could have been more common in the bigger and more popular Clubs, but also in the Clubs that treated the dealers as kings, letting them pass the line and everything. So in that sense I guess Disco could have been responsible, but to me that was more of a Disco era phenomenon than related to Disco itself.

Maybe also the problems for Clubs to get liquor licenses help the drugs to get into the picture. As many Clubs couldn't serve alcohol, well... we've all hard about punch being spiked and so on. So, maybe that also gave room for a more liberal or a wider acceptance of drugs to get high on, instead of getting blurry on booze. So maybe "Moore Booze = Less Drugs" ?? OR ??

But again, I don't think Disco per say was the cause of the drugs, but I think it sure opened up new possibilities...

// Discoguy

Post subject: Drugs
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:17 pm 

I know I would have to post on this subject sooner or later. I am a grateful recovering addict. Addiction has robbed me from fulfilling my full potential in this business. Many of my contemporaries told me that I was going to go far in music. They told me I was very talented. I was always working in a club. Had my own edits, remixes, Sunshine Sound Acetates, a small following. I sold many cassettes & 8-Tracks in my day. (now they are CDs) I had dreams of being a music producer but I volunteered to give that up for my addiction.

The Discos were not responsible for me getting into drugs. Most of the time I stayed pretty much sober, while I was in the booth. I spun better that way. Everybody would come to turn me on to something and I would indulge from time to time. My addiction got worse AFTER WORK!!!!

In the end I was fired from The Rooftop ('83) for smoking crack in the DJ booth. I didn't care. After that my addiction got worse and I never stepped in a club for the next 10 yrs. I missed DJing but the drugs were more important. Thank GOD I found NA!!!

Now I am clean, I'm getting back into my mixes (I have 25 master mixes from the 70's & 80's that I share with people from that time)
I DJ NA parties and conventions. I am having a lot of fun.

Disco didn't make drugs happen---most of the addicts I know never stepped one foot in a club. It was a place to buy them if you wanted, just like the crackhouse, the shooting gallery, and the liquor store! (alcohol is a drug too!)

PETE"S NOTE:: I think that Jay is part of a number of exceptional Deejays who for one reason or another, never reached the heights they should have reached. I count myself as a member of that club. This site gives that person, a moment in the Spotlight. Wish it could be more! Deejays like JAY were every bit as good as the "stars" that only a certain few can claim. But we should see them as a ,just as good, sometimes better Deejay!

Post subject: I respec t this man!
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:38 pm 

I know Jay, been close to your house. Never made it that far, but .... let's say I knew all the Cocaine Cowboys by first and nic-names! But before DISCO, Cocaine addicts were few and far in between. Then we simplified and intensified it's "recreational" use, without knowing it's dependency side effects! That opened the door to Crack. Then the world changed. You telling me that DISCO wasn't the doorway!! We could not have gotten to this point, if it wasn't for DISCO'S influence! Had there been NO DISCOS. No CLUB CULTURE that we created, to show the world the wonder of Cocaine. TODAY, I would say, there would be less violence, less Cocaine. No War on Drugs, no over-crowed jails. Less drive by's! The world was changed by DISCO! We can't deny it! We made our bed, now we lie in it!!

Post subject: Drugs
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:18 am 

I hate the concept, that Disco influenced the Drug world. I would rather say that Drugs influenced Disco.
The musicians would be out of it, the deejays coked out. The bathrooms were one long line of cocaine. Think of it that way!!

Post subject: As A Bouncer.....
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:45 am 

As A Bouncer, I saw all the drugs that existed and entered the DISCOS. Did DRUGS influence DISCOS, YES!!

Board index » DISCO » Various