Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Various

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:28 pm 

Saturday Night Fever made disco cool, and everything you guys mentioned including DISCO DUCK , homophobia , and disco sucks night in Comisky Park in Chicago made disco uncool.
So it might take another blockbuster film like S N F to get the disco fever back in America.
Hey Pete , This web-site absolutely rocks .
red sox # 1

Post subject: U R Right
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:22 am 

Mackie,
You are so right! This site does rock, I love it! If it was a chick, I would marry her!!

Post subject: A response from somewhere else
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:37 am 

This is a response to this article, it just is not from someone here. here goes,"Demise of disco:

Immune suppression in gay men:
gay men got sick from drug excess and STD’s so disco got kind of scary.

Death in the later eighties:
By the mid80s most of the disco producers, artists and prodigies had died, most of KS, some of suicide or OD.

Reagan revolution:
The government was tired of the sexual revolution of the 6Os and the hedonism of the 70s. The Midwest wanted its revenge (see burning of disco records in sports stadium)

Rampant commercialization:
Disco had definitely lost its edge

Splintering in the disco scene:
White/black disco’s with its consecutive influence on the music
White: Studio 54, Xenon, The Saint, Trocadero Transfer
Black: The Loft, Paradise Garage"

Posted by: Cédric Van der Hauwaert

Post subject: Why It Had To Go!
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:18 pm 

There is only one reason the TERM disco had to go. It is all the Gay guys out there that scared the rest of the world, people associated GAY and disco. It is that simple

Post subject: Come ON!!
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:17 pm 

Come On!! It is not that simple. You are homophobic Finley! I mean this in all seriousness,go see a shrink. You need help. GAY people and Gay artists are not why the term DISCO had to go. There were many other reasons that make much more sense. I will give you that a lot of people associated Gay and Disco. But they, like you, are way off base. Gay people are everywhere in the world, in all businesses. And I know you LOVE lesbians! That is a little hypocritical isn't it!??

Post subject: Too Late
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:22 pm 

I do see a shrink, and he is Gay Too! So you may be thinking, "this guy has problems". I really don't. As for lesbians, and being hypocritical, yes I am! But who doesn't love lesbians!! As for other reassons, I agree, there must have been other reassons too. But I stick by what I said!

Post subject: I know You Got Problems!!
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:28 pm 

LOL-- Boy do you have problems!! You hate gays, but your shrink is Gay. But you love lesbians. To make it worse, you are a RED SOX fan!! Forgettaboutit, go jump off the Green Monster, put yourself out of your misery!

Post subject: I tried
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:36 pm 

I tried to junp off the Green Monster, but security stopped me. That was way back in 04, when the Yankees beat the Sox in game three 19-4. I thank god they stopped me, the SOX came back to make history. But I am not crazy, just delusional!! LOL

Post subject: They Should Have Let You Jump!
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:17 am 

I saw everything you wrote today, before Pete did us the favor of cleaning it up, and deleting you. From what I have read, I bet you are on some sort of medication. Make sure you take you pills every day, and on time. The time you take it has to be the same every time. It is very important to as how this stuff works. Gay people helped spread the disco word. Not hurt it. So do like Pete suggested, come back when you actually know something!

PETE'S NOTE:: Ed is on a rampage!

Post subject: Where did this neanderthal come from?
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:46 am 

OHH, I would love to show this ass**** what a PINK lashing is! I would seriously hurt him! I love men & women. That makes me a lesbian? But let's say I am, you would never get 10 feet near me. What lesbian would want to even know you? None that I have ever met, that is for sure! Go away, learn, get a new personality, then come back. You give the Irish a bad name!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:05 am 

We had the disco sucks backlash here in Australia too.

Australia @ the time was a very Rock orientated country.
When disco hit in '77 just about every corner pub kicked out their bands,hung a mirrorball with 2 lights focused on it & called it a disco.

Bands could get very little work after that.

I remember the record rep from Warners coming into our dance store wearing a Disco sucks T-shirt!!

I said, "That ain't gonna help the dwindling 12' sales which are hurting our store!", but he didn't care.

As soon as the term "Disco Sucks" became popular to be heard, everyone jumped on the bandwagon & stated bashing disco.

The radio stations that played the Rock music & the bands that had lost all their venus to gig in applauded the results.

Anti Gay sentiment did not really figure in the death of disco in Australia all that much.

Post subject: DISCO SUCKS
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:12 am 

Yes that DISCO SUCKS movement was world wide, unfortunately. What about that ASSHOLE Rick Dees and DISCO DUCK? Were there foolish deejays in Australia too?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:48 am 

We actually fought hard against the backlash as far as exspressing our disapproval of it but when the wheels of industry turn against you & you (disco lovers) are a minority there's not much that can be done.

Tis sad.

I absoluv disco. I discovered it, got hooked on it & then they told my dealers to not supply me with my drug of choice......DISCO MUSIC!

The bastards. It took me a while to get over it to be honest.

Until house started resurfacing disco around '85 I was starving for simply a form of music that was no longer available.

Post subject: I Know!
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:23 pm 

You Are Preaching To The Choir. Disco lovers unite, let's do it again! From the very first time, I was hooked. But did it really die? Or just have kids? It gave birth to FREESTYLE, then Hip Hop, House, Techno and eventually the family tree leads us to today. Still alive, but not as big a part of society. Or is it? Before Disco, music had no dance beat. Now ALL music has a dance beat. Disco is responsible for that, let no man argue that.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:36 am 

It was always puzzling to read disco had "died" in some parts of the globe when in Europe it grew in popularity into an established form of pop music. The press and djs called the sound italo and hi-nrg, the vast majority of dancers and radio listeners and record-buying public just kept calling it disco. House came along and it was called house. Still, all along sideways with house, disco flourished. Kylie Minoque became the biggest star in the world everywhere but in the US, and she wanted to be called a disco queen. A few months ago during her incredibly well presented and designed concert tour she took us to the disco several times during the show - not to some sad saturday Fever club but a proud Disco, a place of hedonistic joy eternal. Madonna came, went and came back again, paying hommage to disco all the way. Disco Kandi cd comps arrived and became massively popular. Dimitri, Bob Sinclair &co went and stayed disco. "Disco", a 2008 film hit the number one boxoffice spot in France last spring. More Disco books get published immediately. Disco nights evolve out of the ordinary into more sophisticated soiree
és reflecting 70's styles of the baia Degli Angeli club as well as brand new concepts such as Hercules and The Love Affair, a live revue from N.Y touring Europe right now. Sellout concerts, too. In Barcelona, THE party town of the universe, people go to Space etc calling the clubs discos. The word is not a four letter one it is in America. Disco means glamour, sequins, long tanned legs emerging from Lamborghinis, dancing in the sand in Ibiza, funky nights in cellar clubs in the suburbia, good looking young people having a blast everywhere. Yes, there's Gloria Gaynor there too smiling knowingly, rich, respected and an icon, like Amanda Lear and Giorgio Moroder. They look at kids dancing the techtonik and nod approvingly. Disco is an attitude, 70's party idiom dressed in new Dolce&Gabbana. The spirit remains the same and the origins are cool old skool, not retro rubbish like the Village People 2008 Tour or the hideous Mamma Mia film. Young record collectors swarm vinyl fairs looking for rare desirable tracks by the likes of Malinga Five, Disco Dream and the Androids or Mike Sierra, originally out in the late 70's, now getting sampled. An original piece of that sort of vinyl costs 250 euros in the net. The cult crows. So... if disco died in the US rest assured, it never looked better and more fashionable in Europe. Maybe even gay culture will embrace it once more, as leading French rag Tetu says disco is hot ( well, they even interviewed yours truly about all this so of course it's hot:-)) Sorry you girls and guys in the states, you are missing a lot right now!

Board index » DISCO » Various