Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Various

Post subject: I understand what you are talking about.
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:22 pm 

I know it still lives and thrives in Europe, and I wish that Fever would spread over here some more, again, like it did 30 years or 40 years ago. The United States lags far behind the rest of the world in this aspect. It is a bloody shame too.

Post subject: The reasons why??
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:56 am 

White American men can't dance! They made sure that disco had to go away! Sounds stupid, but think carefully about it. It tends to add up. Not the only reason, but when they saw that first DISCO SUCKS bumper sticker, they made the guy who made that stupid sticker a rich man!!

Post subject: The Demise Of Disco...
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:28 pm 

Alway's thought that this article that has been around for a long time had a lot of merit concerning the demise of disco....

The popularity of the film Saturday Night Fever prompted major record labels to mass-produce hits, a move which some perceived as turning the genre from something vital and edgy into a safe "product" homogenized for mainstream audiences. Though disco music had enjoyed several years of popularity, an anti-disco sentiment manifested in America. This sentiment proliferated at the time because of oversaturation and the big-business mainstreaming of disco. Worried about declining profits, rock radio stations and record producers encouraged this trend. According to Gloria Gaynor, the music industry supported the destruction of disco because rock music producers were losing money and rock musicians were losing the spotlight.

Many hard rock fans expressed strong disapproval of disco throughout the height of its popularity. Among these fans, the slogan "Disco Sucks" was common by the late 1970s and appeared in written form in places ranging from tee shirts to graffiti.
Disco music and dancing fads began to be depicted by rock music fans as silly and effeminate, such as in Frank Zappa's satirical song "Dancin' Fool". Some listeners objected to the perceived sexual promiscuity and illegal drug use that had become associated with disco music. Others were put off by the exclusivity of the disco scene, especially in major clubs in large cities such as the Studio 54 discotheque, where bouncers only let in fashionably-dressed club-goers, celebrities, and their hangers-on. Rock fans objected to the idea of centering music around an electronic drum beat and synthesizers instead of live performers. Some have contended that there was also an element of bigotry to the anti-disco backlash; in his book A Change Is Gonna Come, Craig Werner wrote, "the attacks on disco gave respectable voice to the ugliest kinds of unacknowledged racism, sexism and homophobia.

To further complicate matters, several prominent rock bands recorded songs with disco influences, such as Rod Stewart's "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" (1978), The Rolling Stones’ "Miss You" (1978), and Kiss' "I Was Made For Lovin' You" (1979). Though these fusions of rock and disco were initially met with critical[citation and commercial acclaim, many of the bands were subsequently viewed as "sell-outs". Since the advent of disco and dance music, rock music has absorbed many of the rhythmic sensibilities of funk-influenced dance music, while nevertheless retaining a distinct sound and audience culture.

Some historians have referred to July 12, 1979 as "the day disco died" because of an anti-disco demonstration that was held in Chicago. Rock station DJs Steve Dahl and Garry Meier, along with Michael Veeck, son of Chicago White Sox owner Bill Veeck, staged Disco Demolition Night, a promotional event with an anti-disco theme, between games at a White Sox doubleheader for disgruntled rock fans. During this event, which involved exploding disco records, the raucous crowd tore out seats and turf in the field and did other damage to Comiskey Park. It ended in a riot in which police made numerous arrests. The damage done to the field forced the Sox to forfeit the second game to the Detroit Tigers who won the first game. The stadium suffered thousands of dollars in damage.

The television industry — taking a cue from the music industry — responded with an anti-disco agenda as well. A recurring theme on the television show WKRP in Cincinnati contained a hateful attitude towards disco music. The anti-disco backlash may have helped to cause changes to the landscape of Top 40 radio. Negative responses from the listenerships of many Top 40 stations encouraged these stations to drop all disco songs from rotation, filling the holes in their playlists with New Wave, punk rock, and album-oriented rock cuts.. Indeed, Jello Biafra of anarcho-punk band The Dead Kennedys likened disco to the cabaret culture of Weimar Germany for its apathy towards government policy and its escapism (which Biafra saw as delusional). He sang about this in the song "Saturday Night Holocaust", the B-side of the song "Halloween".

It should be noted that, unlike in the U.S., there was never a focused backlash against disco in Europe, and discotheques and the Disco culture continued past 1980 in Europe.

It was during this backlash and decline that several record companies were folded, reorganized or sold. TK Records closed in 1981. ABC Records was sold to MCA Records in 1979, which shut down the label. Casablanca Records' founder Neil Bogart was forced out in 1980 by label owner PolyGram. RSO Records founder Robert Stigwood left the label in 1981.

I think that sumised the decline of the classic disco era pretty well..

Post subject: Forgot Something
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:35 pm 

You forgot something!! That ASSHOLE Rick Dees and his exploitation of Disco itself. I think you also missed on the product over-saturation of really bad music, that somehow found its way East and ended up in MAN's house!!! LOL That was a joke MAN!!!

Post subject: Re: Forgot Something
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:55 pm 

Pete Denis wrote:
You forgot something!! That ASSHOLE Rick Dees and his exploitation of Disco itself. I think you also missed on the product over-saturation of really bad music, that somehow found its way East and ended up in MAN's house!!! LOL That was a joke MAN!!!

I think the artical does touch on the over saturation of bad songs with the likes of Rod Stewart, Kiss and The Rolling Stones jumping on the disco bandwagon and making it totallly respectable for any prick in a studio to come up with a track. The" Disco Sucks" movement is mentioned briefly, though no mention of RD's which is a good point as i don't wanna raise your BP any further thanks!

PETE'S NOTE:: Thank You!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:06 am 

Came across a female student writing a thesis on the demise of the disco scene & I sent her a link to this thread. :)
She said it was very informative & one of the best pieces of chat on the topic she's seen.
We are educating the masses. 8)

PETE'S NOTE:: Cool!!

Discoguy's Note:: Great - Just the way we like it !! :wink:

Post subject: Re: The reasons why??
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:27 pm 

Pink Lady wrote:
White American men can't dance!

then you've never witnessed a club full of white male dancers with whistles, tambourines, and yes.....the fan (scuse my f*g fantasy)
in full action on
any given night in San Fransisco or NYC in the 70's...I mean even the straight clubs in Amsterdam had a lot of white males on the floor showing that

White Men CAN dance allright...but only to the right music :D

ooh, that colour separation makes me itch!

Post subject: Re: A response from somewhere else
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:08 pm 

Pete Denis wrote:
This is a response to this article, it just is not from someone here. here goes,"Demise of disco:

Immune suppression in gay men:
gay men got sick from drug excess and STD’s so disco got kind of scary.

Death in the later eighties:
By the mid80s most of the disco producers, artists and prodigies had died, most of KS, some of suicide or OD.

Reagan revolution:
The government was tired of the sexual revolution of the 6Os and the hedonism of the 70s. The Midwest wanted its revenge (see burning of disco records in sports stadium)

Rampant commercialization:
Disco had definitely lost its edge

Splintering in the disco scene:
White/black disco’s with its consecutive influence on the music
White: Studio 54, Xenon, The Saint, Trocadero Transfer
Black: The Loft, Paradise Garage"

Posted by: Cédric Van der Hauwaert

add a few suggestions;

wasn't the decline in quality and originality of the music itself not another reason?
Wasn't the scene selling out at the time?
Wasn't there some sort of tiredness of all things Disco in 1979? A deja-vu perhaps?

Crooners like Andy Williams doing 'love story'; Ethel Merman's Disco Disaster? Rod Stewart? Barbara Streisand?? Sesame Street Disco?
Disco Duck?
enough = enough!!

I believe that there was a clear divide in sound and style happening in 1979, with new parallel music scenes coming from an alternative source of genes; Punk, Rap, Electro, New Wave, the European invasion...Moroder, Italo Disco, HI NRG et al
suddenly American Disco Music wasn't the only modern choice on the dance menu....say hello, wave goodbye!

in 1979 Disco shifted and gave way like New Wave, Electro being the choice of the new generations

Disco was going underground to rise from the ashes in 1986 as an energetic new format called House Music, or Garage Music.

the name of styles may have shifted but the spirit lives on!

Post subject: DISCO??
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:44 pm 

The Term went away. Did not the Winter Music Conference once throw out a panelist for calling the music disco. Or something along those lines. But you are right Eddy, the spirit certainly lives on!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:37 am 

eeceedee SAYS:
I believe that there was a clear divide in sound and style happening in 1979, with new parallel music scenes coming from an alternative source of genes; Punk, Rap, Electro, New Wave, the European invasion...Moroder, Italo Disco, HI NRG et al
suddenly American Disco Music wasn't the only modern choice on the dance menu....say hello, wave goodbye!

in 1979 Disco shifted and gave way like New Wave, Electro being the choice of the new generations

Disco was going underground to rise from the ashes in 1986 as an energetic new format called House Music, or Garage Music.

the name of styles may have shifted but the spirit lives on!

SO ELOQUENTLY SAID!!!!!

Board index » DISCO » Various