Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Labels

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:06 am 

I liked Jeannie Tracy, Linda Imperial and Ernest Kohl too!

For the life of me though, they changed Jeannie's name to Techno Diva for a while there before the company folded.

Jeannie is on myspace and let me know she has been steadily recording and recently came out with another maxi dance single from Altar.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:08 am 

Pete Denis wrote:
I got one for you no-one mentioned. That is because very few people knew about it, very few deejays would go into New York City and buy the "records" that SUNSHINE Recording Studios sold. Remember the ACETATES??

The Dj's always have the great stories and info. What was that all about with the acetates? What did Sunshine Records do?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:15 am 
Site Admin

Sunshine pressed acetates...
DJ's who for example made their own remix or a certain song to have it suit "their" crowd better - they would take their reel-to-reel to Sunshine and have a few copies pressed on acetate so they could spin "their" version in their club (as it's not as easy to beat mix in a reel-to-reel tape)...
So, most of the big names did Sunshine acetate pressings - John Morales, Francois Kevorkian, Larry Levan and others...

//Discoguy

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:26 am 

Discoguy wrote:
Sunshine pressed acetates...
DJ's who for example made their own remix or a certain song to have it suit "their" crowd better - they would take their reel-to-reel to Sunshine and have a few copies pressed on acetate so they could spin "their" version in their club (as it's not as easy to beat mix in a reel-to-reel tape)...
So, most of the big names did Sunshine acetate pressings - John Morales, Francois Kevorkian, Larry Levan and others...

//Discoguy

Ok, so why wouldn't a DJ want this?

I would think that having a mix that DJ's have done and then recreating a NEW mix from a couple of DJ mixes would have been a major coup for any DJ.

Post subject: NO WAY!!
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:35 am 

That is Cheating from my perspective. Using a reel-to-reel (cd, computer mp3 or any thing technological)in any fashion is like Steroids in sports. Real mixers and remixers in CLUBS should always use real vinyl. That is where the true talent lies. Show me a great Vinyl deejay, and I'll show you real talented guy. Everything else is bogus, and should disqualify them from being called GREAT. Then of course, that comes from a deejay whose favorite thing is REMIXING vinyl records!!

Post subject: Got 0ne
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:16 pm 

A Group called THE REAL THING was on
UNITED ARTIST RECORDS!
I am sure there were other acts, but don't remember any. Burned Brain Cells I guess!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

Some United Artists releases comes to mind...

Space "Magic Fly"
Gerry Rafferty "Baker Street"
Marvin Hamlisch "Bond 77"
Barbara Pennington "Twenty-four Hours A Day"

But Real Thing was the REAL THING for the label (as I tend to recall)...

//Discoguy

Post subject: You To Me Are Everything!
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:45 pm 

You to me are everything, the sweetest song that I could sing. Now You got the best of me, come on and take the rest of me. The day you give your love to me won't be a day too late--- Those are some lyrics from that DISCO CLASSIC!! I remember mouthing the words to young naive girls, and they thinking I played that song for them. Later that morning, I thanked THE REAL THING!! This was STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE> It got me so many beautiful women!! THANK YOU REAL THING!!

Post subject: Re: NO WAY!!
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:39 pm 

Pete Denis wrote:
That is Cheating from my perspective. Using a reel-to-reel (cd, computer mp3 or any thing technological)in any fashion is like Steroids in sports. Real mixers and remixers in CLUBS should always use real vinyl. That is where the true talent lies. Show me a great Vinyl deejay, and I'll show you real talented guy. Everything else is bogus, and should disqualify them from being called GREAT. Then of course, that comes from a deejay whose favorite thing is REMIXING vinyl records!!

In my opinion, a deejay should be able to use all tools at his/her disposal. This of coarse as long as the deejay still mixes and remixes live with vinyl as well. A deejay that doen't use vinyl at all is not a real deejay in my book.

Post subject: I Stick to My Statement!!
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:47 pm 

Sorry, I stick to my statement. To Be a Great DISCO DeeJay, it has to be vinyl. I know that using a cd turntable is "almost" the same, but it isn't! I may change my mind after The next RANCH HOUSE Sessions, when I too will incorporate CDs into the equation. I'll let you know then. TO BE A GREAT "DISCO" DEEJAY, IT HAS TO BE VYNIL!!-Pete Denis

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:53 pm 

I used to feel the same way until I got my hands on the Numark CDX and HDX CD turntables. The feel is similar to a 1200. Yes it's a little different and some options and functionality my take a while to get use to, but I can say that it feels like you're mixing with vinyl.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:16 am 

well, all of the above, but do you remember :

- Carrere rec : gave us Ottawan,...
- Rams Horn rec ( dutch label ) : Conquest, Skyy,...
- Hansa Int : Boney M, Viola Wills
- Warner Brothers : Rose Royce
- Arista : GQ
- Unlimited Gold : mr Barry White
- Maloco Inc : Fern 'please groove me' Kinney
- Red bus production : Imagination
- Capitol : Tavares,
- and many many many more...

I'm trying, but I cannot give you my favorit disco label... Just too hard. I think my avator-logo says it all : the best label is Disco Disco !

Post subject: U.A.
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:23 pm 

United Artists Records had WAR ("Me & Baby Brother", "Cisco Kid", "Low Rider")for a long time before they switched to MCA for "GALAXY" and they also had:

Brass Construction ("Movin"),

Mark Radice ("If You Can't Beat Em"),

Vernon Burch ("And You Call That Love", "Frame Of Mind").
and
Space ("Carry Me On-Turn Me On")

Post subject: WAR!!
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:28 pm 

ME & BABY BROTHER!! Galaxy! Oh Jay, we could go on and on talking about them. I saw them LIVE in LA street concert in 1981. They opened with SPILL THE WINE!! Love them!!

Post subject: Vinyl vs CD
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:02 pm 

I love spinning vinyl. I was the last of the mohegans as far as switching to CD. I didn't make the switch until 2003 when the vinyl shops closed up. No more Vinyl Mania Records in NYC. No more 8 Ball records in the east village. If I want something new on vinyl I have to import it from Germany. It was getting very expensive to do that.

As far as mixing, if you got talent mixing music, then you do. If you have the EAR for mixing with vinyl, then the EAR is the same with CDs. The method is a tiny bit different----but the result should be the same!

Playing and mixing dance/disco music to heighten emotions of the dancers & make-believe dancers all over! (I see you nodding your head)

I edit certain songs to make the break longer---or to put the break in the beginning. Nothing radical, just to build momentum & excitement! It is not cheating when I DJ and play one of my remixes of a certain song. I feel that it is more talent showing when a DJ does that.

When I did that party 2 weeks ago in Ft.Lauderdale, I burned everything I was gonna use to CD---No more dragging 4 crates to the job. (In addition to the Big Ass speakers & heavy ass amp) I spun for 4 hrs--all non-mixed CDs----songs all seperate----and mixed from them. I have 2 CD/Turntables---the mixes come out the same as if I was still in Tropicalia, or Pegasus.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » DISCO » Labels