Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers

Post subject: What's YOUR secret weapon ?!
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:53 am 
Site Admin

Hi guys and gals !

What's YOUR secret weapon that you always bring to any gig and that always works the crowd?
Pinky have keeping us wondering about his secret weapon for weeks now - see this thread - so which track is your weapon ??

This could be really interesting - and hey - it's not DJ's Only... Maybe non DJ's have a track they feel is a secret weapon as well - or some they think is an absolute floorfiller...

So come on - bring out your heavy artillery...

// Discoguy

Post subject: Re: What's YOUR secret weapon ?!
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:05 pm 

This was quite simple for me..
If I started to loose the floor when I was spinning, I would pull out The Jacksons from the crate..It might of been commercial and safe of me but one the following would always result in everyboby hitting' the dance floor once more!...

"CAN YOU FEEL IT"

"SHAKE YOUR BODY DOWN"

"BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE"

My secret weapon was always The Jacksons..

Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:49 pm 

JKD Band: Dragon Power. Hipsters get electrified and headnodders nod like mad. Anyone into any kind of stuff generally thought as "cool" cannot resist this. It has fierce classic martial arts years-style sound effects and a kicking rhythm track, plus Bruce Lee dialoque such as "You Have Ofended My Family And You Have Offended The Shaolin Temple!" ZAP! POW! CRASH! YEEEOOOWWW!

Post Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:28 am 

CLAES,

YOUR TOPIC SHOULD DRAW SOME INSIGHT INTO THE COMFORT ZONE
OF THE CLUB SPINNER.

GOOD LUCK WITH THIS.
GREAT TOPIC.

I ALWAYS HAD WHAT I WOULD CALL "SECRET WEAPON" TRACKS;
TRACKS THAT WOULD GUARANTEE SPARK A FIRE ON THE FLOOR AND INTO THE SPIRIT OF THE DANCER. THESE "SECRET WEAPON" TRACKS WOULD TAKE THE FLOOR TO A HIGHER INSPIRATIONAL LEVEL OF DANCE.IF YOU COULD NOT DANCE,YOU STILL FELT LIKE A STAR!
THERE IS A DIFFERENCE DANCING AT 9 PM WHEN MOST CLUB DOORS OPEN OR AT A NEW YEAR'S EVE CLUB BASH RIGHT AT MIDNIGHT. A "SECRET WEAPON" TRACK WOULD TAKE YOU TO THAT NEW YEAR'S BASH TYPE OF AN EMOTIONAL EXPERIENCE.

MOST SPINNERS ,FROM MY EXPERIENCE OF LISTENING AND WATCHING ALOT OF DJ'S PERFORMANCES HAVE WHAT I CALL "SAFETY VALVE" OR "EMERGENCY" RECORDS IN THEIR COLLECTIONS. THESE ARE SAFE AND PROVEN RADIO/CLUB RECORDS THAT WILL GET ANYONE TO THE FLOOR AT ANYTIME.THE AUDIENCE HAS BEEN CONDITIONED TO A "DOOMED" RADIO ENVIRONMENT.

HERE IS AN EXAMPLE OF "EMERGENCY" OR "SAFETY VALVE" RECORD ARTISTS:

MICHAEL JACKSON
MADONNA
SHANNON-LET THE MUSIC PLAY/GIVE ME TONITE
STEVIE WONDER
GLORIA GAYNOR-I WILL SURVIVE
CHIC-GOOD TIMES
LOVE IS THE MESSAGE-MFSB
SHAME-EVELYN"CHAMPAGNE" KING
DISCO NIGHTS-GQ

ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COIN, AS MENTIONED ABOVE, "SECRET WEAPONS" ARE NOT AUTOMATIC FLOOR FLOOR PACKERS.THESE SONGS MAY NOT BE UNIVERSALLY KNOWN DUE TO CURRENT CHART OR RADIO PLAY, BUT WHEN THEY ARE PART OF AN ENERGETIC EUPHORIA ON THE DANCE FLOOR THEY CREATE A HIGHER SENSE OF ADRENALIN THAN "EMERGENCY" OR "SAFETY VALVE" TRACKS.

CREATIVE , DARING, INSPIRING CLUD DJS COULD PLAY A SAFE MICHAEL JACKSON RECORD LIKE "BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE" AND THEN PLAY "TRINIDAD" BY JOHN GIBBS OR A "DO WHAT YOU WANNA DO" BY T CONNECTION AS A "SECRET WEAPON "TO TAKE THE EMOTION HIGHER ON THE FLOOR.

MANY SUNSHINE SOUND ACETATES WERE SECRET WEAPONS BECAUSE THE ACETATES WERE NOT RADIO OR COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE AND THEY CREATED EXTRA EXCITEMENT ON THE DANCE FLOOR. I BELIEVE THAT THE MOST BORING CLUBS HERE AND ABROAD WERE CLUBS WERE SPINNERS ONLY PLAYED THE CURRENT TOP 30 HITS THAT WERE ON THE RADIO AND CLUB CHARTS AND USED THE SAME RECORDS AS THEIR EMERGENCY OR SAFETY VALVE RECORDS. TO THESE DJS THEIR EMERGENCY RECORDS WERE CONSIDERED THEIR SECRET WEAPONS.

ALL OF US IN THIS FORUM KNOW BETTER.

I HAD A FEW SECRET WEAPONS OF MY OWN:

UNDECIDED LOVE-THE CHEQUERS (INSTRUMENTAL VERSION)
TRINIDAD-JOHN GIBBS
MY KILLER TRACK (FIND IT ON MY "THE SPOTLIGHT" FORUM)
LOVIN' IS REALLY MY GAME-BRAINSTORM
MELTING POT-BOOKER T AND THE MGS
MELTING POT-THE BORIS GARDINER HAPPENING
MY SWEET SUMMER SUITE-LOVE UNLIMITED ORCH
THEME FROM KING KONG-LOVE UNLIMITED ORCH
I LIKE WHAT I LIKE-EVERY DAY PEOPLE
FLIP-JESSE GREEN
DONT STOP THE MUSIC-BAY CITY ROLLERS
SOMEBODY'S GOTTA GO-MIKE AND BILL
WHATS GOING ON -EL CHICANO

Post Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:35 am 

Secret Weapons. Well, always the days, weeks, biggest hit was that. But Danny Pooch should agree with me here. THE LIVE REMIX was the best weapon for an emergency. Start remixing any decent song, make it spectacular, the floor got full. I can tell you, that for me, THAT NEVER FAILED!!

Post Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:34 pm 

bigpinkray wrote:

I HAD A FEW SECRET WEAPONS OF MY OWN:

UNDECIDED LOVE-THE CHEQUERS (INSTRUMENTAL VERSION)
TRINIDAD-JOHN GIBBS
MY KILLER TRACK (FIND IT ON MY "THE SPOTLIGHT" FORUM)
LOVIN' IS REALLY MY GAME-BRAINSTORM
MELTING POT-BOOKER T AND THE MGS
MELTING POT-THE BORIS GARDINER HAPPENING
MY SWEET SUMMER SUITE-LOVE UNLIMITED ORCH
THEME FROM KING KONG-LOVE UNLIMITED ORCH
I LIKE WHAT I LIKE-EVERY DAY PEOPLE
FLIP-JESSE GREEN
DONT STOP THE MUSIC-BAY CITY ROLLERS
SOMEBODY'S GOTTA GO-MIKE AND BILL
WHATS GOING ON -EL CHICANO

Pinky,
I guess I was one of those dj's that played it safe when I lost the floor. After all I did play The Jacksons to pull them back, never mind it got the desired results so everybody was happy and I new my limations, was never gonna be in the Big League when it came to spinning but I made an enjoyable living from it for over 11 years..Lol

Looking at your list of secret weapons, I noticed Booker T & The MG's - Melting Pot. One of my favourite groups of all time...Thought I share my favourite version of Melting Pot with everybody here. This kicks ass for me and comes to you at 8.17 minutes in lenght..

Get downloading & enjoy!

BOOKER T & THE MG'S - "MELTING POT" (8.17)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/54927746059b8956/

Post Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:57 pm 

Top 30 etc...
Well i am glad that someone else besides Dancer and Jay agrees with me.
Pinky,every dj has its "bombs".All that matters is WHEN he will trough these bombs.
I guess that depends this on the club,the audience,the peek time,the feeling,the mood,the drugs,the erotism...
The dj is the captain of that ship...
Is he good???the history and the present tells it all...
if we dont know history we dont know who we are...
Thank you for posting Pinky...

Post Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:52 pm 

Secret Weapons changed for me week to week.

One thing I learned when DJ-ing is if you want to keep the dance floor going it takes more than just playing the Top 30 hits.

When a dance floor clears it is not the song that just came on that made that happen.
It was the last 15-20 minutes that contributed to that. The song just mixed in was just the last straw!!!

When I DJ, I look at the floor to see what they are doing and how they are doing it.
It's good to take a walk around the floor once in a while (when possible) to hear & feel what they are hearing & feeling.

You can beat mix your ass off and still have the floor abandon you!

Or you can play the top request and live-mix it to death but that is only a temporary fix.
That will only please the portion of the crowd that wants to hear those 'hits'.

The dance floor could be packed and they can be getting tired of the same beat or they can be getting bored. You have to see little tell tale signs. They are not screaming, whooping & hollering; They are still dancing, the floor is full but if you do not change the atmosphere it is just a matter of time when they will all sit.

If I was on a set of 128 BPMs (maybe 30-40 mins) and I saw those signs, I would change the music dramaticly!!!
It was nothing to hear me at Tropicalia segue into Jimmy Castor's "IT'S JUST BEGUN" at any point of the night.
Or "B-2" at any point of the night.
Or "Pegasus-Acetate"
Or "Jungle Fever"
Or "Runaway"
Nobody would request any of those records.
(Maybe my boss would request "B-2")
It was imperative to keep the atmosphere HAPPY!!!

I did it recently at an outdoor Party/Picnic I did in August.
They were dancin--About 150 on the 'floor' (in the grass) and another 100 on the side.
I saw that they were enjoying themselves but if I didn't change it, their momentum would be dragged down. I slammed in "DOIN IT TO DEATH" by James Brown.
It wasn't an 'on-beat' mix---but they screamed in delight!!!
Two minutes later I segued into Lyn Collins' "THINK" and the crowd went really crazy.
(Nobody requested these either)
Then I coasted for another 45 minutes, always looking for those tell-tale signs.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:04 am 

I agree with that King C says!Every DJ has some tracks that would work anytime for his dancefloor,but it's the timing that makes these weapons special and powerful!!!
You can't start your set with classics,but if you play them at the right time they gonna work for sure!And all the clubs don't have the same crowd,there's a big difference from a mainstream club to an underground one!
So is very important for the DJ to catch the feeling of the night and hit at the right time!

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:26 am 

Dancer wrote:
I agree with that King C says!Every DJ has some tracks that would work anytime for his dancefloor,but it's the timing that makes these weapons special and powerful!!!
You can't start your set with classics,but if you play them at the right time they gonna work for sure!And all the clubs don't have the same crowd,there's a big difference from a mainstream club to an underground one!
So is very important for the DJ to catch the feeling of the night and hit at the right time!

Ok! Giorgio..I get your drift, its all about the mood of the club at a specific given time.
Saying that though...did you have a collection of tried and tested classics that you would use as your Secret Weapons over and over again of did your Secret Weapons change from night to night, depending on where you were playing and what the mood of your crowd was...Could you name a few please...thanks!

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:49 pm 

Yes Soul-Boy,here's some that always worked,even in a house club:

Dan Hartman - Vertigo - Relight My Fire
Donna Summer - I Feel Love
Jackie Moore - This Time Baby
Loleatta Holloway - Love Sensation
Chaz Jankel - Glad To Know You
Don Ray - Got To Have Loving
Lamont Dozier - Going Back To My Roots
Richie Havens - Going Back To My Roots
Geraldine Hunt - Can't Fake The Feeling
T-Connection - At Midnight
Giorgio Moroder - Chase
Cerrone - Supernature
Sylvester - You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)
Two Tons O' Fun - I Got The Feeling
Cerrone - Give Me Love
First Choice - Let No Man Put Asunder
Gino Soccio - Dancer
Gino Soccio- Remember
Klein & MBO - Dirty Talk - (Instrumental Mix)
Gary's Gang - Makin' Music
Soft Cell - Tainted Love
Visage - Fade To Grey (12'' version)
Clash - The Magnificent Dance
George Kranz - Din Daa Daa

For a late night-early morning set,or a closing song of the night:

Diana Ross - Love Hangover
Gwen Guthrie - Seventh Heaven
Loleatta Holloway - Hit and Run
Sharon Ridley - Changin
Salsoul Orchestra ft. Loleatta Holloway - Runaway
Raw Silk - Do It To The Music
Sharon Redd - Can You Handle It
Tom Brown - Funkin' For Jamaica
Change - The Glow of Love
Earth Wind And Fire - Fantasy
Denice La Salle - I 'm So Hot

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

Dancer,

Great list of tracks...
I can clearly see them work in a House club and the early morning tracks as well...

BTW - you active guys, do you think the classic Disco stuff works better on the dancefloors today than let's say some 10-15 years ago? What I think about is the fact that more people probably recall certain samples from the classics today, since so many of today's records include Disco samples... What do you think? Right or wrong?

// Discoguy

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:41 pm 

I guess it all depends on the sort of crowd you spun to, here in Miami the majority are more Mainstream educated then underground.

If you got away to far from what Miami crowds are use to,you would lose them in a second flat.

This is one of those city's where spinning the hits is vital,you could spin the latest chart topper all night long in Miami and you'd keep the floor packed, play something they dont know of and even if it's a great song with a basic melody and you'd lose them for sure!

For example, not to long ago I went to a Disco concert where the Trammps performed at and while the Trammps were on stage you could hear a pin drop until they played Disco Inferno.

NOBODY here knew any of the other Trammp jams except maybe myself,my cousin and 3-4 other people we saw singing along in a crowd of well over 4000 people!

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:44 pm 

Discomeng wrote:
For example, not to long ago I went to a Disco concert where the Trammps performed at and while the Trammps were on stage you could hear a pin drop until they played Disco Inferno.
NOBODY here knew any of the other Trammp jams except maybe myself,my cousin and 3-4 other people we saw singing along in a crowd of well over 4000 people!

WHAT A PISSER!!...I GUESS THE CROWD MUST HAVE LOOKED SOMETHING LIKE THIS....

:D :D :D :D :D ...."man this is the fu%*ing Joint...lets party!!...

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
...."we want Disco Inferno....we want Disco Inferno....we want Disco Inferno..."

Last edited by Soul-Boy on Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:52 pm 

Exactly like that!

Miami isnt the ground breaking city some think it is, it is and has always been fueled my mainstream not underground music.

The majority here mainly know what is played on radio, only a hand full ( when considering the amount of club goers Miami has had ) know dancefloor hits.

Not so long ago I asked a friend who was doing a Disco night to play " Smack Dab In The Middle " and when he did,the floor cleared except for a few Hustlers who knew their music.

Believe it or not, here you can do a 15 minute mix of Get Down Tonight and it will get a better reaction then playing Love In C Minor for a few minutes.

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers