Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers

Post subject: JERRY BONHAM
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:37 am 

WHO HAS HEARD OF THIS DJ

BIOGRAPHY

Jerry Bonham is one of America's and the world's foremost progressive DJ's. As co-owner of San Francisco's Spundae Reckords store and resident at clubs Nikita and Spundae, he lives the music as passionately as he plays it.

Jerry began as a teenager growing up on pop music in North Dakota in the '70s. His first foray into DJ'ing was programming the Bonham family's Sunday night dinner music-by making everyone listen to the Top 40 radio show. His love of music was instant and total, from Barry White to Sly and the Family Stone to the rock of the day. "My mom always knew when I was home because she could hear the music down the block driving on her way home from work".

When he was 16, he ventured to Minneapolis where a DJ named Jim Wessels,

inspired him to take up the craft, while Chicago DJ, Michael Graber introduced him to infinite possibilities of mixing. He soon taught himself to beat match and mix harmonically as well.

Jerry began spinning in Minnesota in 1976 at the height of the Disco era but even then, he stayed away from the jukebox mentality of the jocks that just played the hits. He favored less-obvious cuts like Space's "Carry On, Turn Me On," and the ahead-of-his-time proto-trance of Giorgio Moroder ("I Feel Love"). He was often spinning his own extended dance mixes of disco songs, sometimes mixing between two 45's of the same song.

After 12 years spinning in Minnesota (and a year on New York's Fire Island), Jerry relocated to San Francisco in 1988, where he became engrossed in the local scene. 1998 saw the birth of the Spundae Reckords store in San Francisco.

Jerry's career literally spans the history of dance music itself, from disco right up to the most progressive trance and breakbeat. Like his contemporaries (and frequent

gig-mates) Timo Maas and John Digweed, Bonham's style is never obvious but always effective.

DJ'ing has taken him from the heart of the American scene, playing Boulder, Austin, Las Vegas, Washington D.C. and everywhere in between, to Mexico City, Lima, Peru and Istanbul, Turkey. In the last year alone, Paul van Dyk invited Jerry to play with him at Twilo in NY and later again that summer in Berlin. Despite all this, deep down Jerry will tell you he's never happier than when he's playing at Nikita and Spundae in his hometown of San Francisco ("Hey, it's family," he says.)

Jerry is a DJ's DJ. Dave Ralph calls him "the most underrated DJ in America; "He has a real talent and depth". Yet, despite all the touring and demands of his record store, Jerry has amassed a string of highly regarded production credits. Highlights include remixing Expansion's "Listen" for the Texas based Funked-Up label, as well as recording "Deep Love 9" with Bedrock favorites Jondi and Spesh for Renaissance U.K. His next

single is "Erendira" (Spanish for "joy"), recorded with Planetary Consciousness, out early 2001 on the Spundae label. In 1998, Jerry released his first mix CD "Interpretations" on Spundae Recordings. In 1999, Jerry mixed "Tranceglobalnation 3" for Arcade America.

It takes a DJ who's been around for two decades to know, but Jerry's career has proven he's in it for the long haul.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:25 am 

Never Heard Of Him?? Es un PATO??

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:15 pm 

DJ Mari C On wrote:
Never Heard Of Him?? Es un PATO??

Es un MAESTRO! Et moi, je suis un Rockstarr! Si! Si!

Jerry is great! He does the annual Remember the Troc(adero) Parties in San Frandisco! Excellent mixer, makes wonderful blends and knows what the public wants. Jerry is a TOPPER!

Chulo, thx for giving him props!

http://jerrybonham.com/

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:26 pm 

Here's JB!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vh-DmB-1s8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eYIaN2Mncs

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:58 pm 

I GUESS ONLY STARR HAS HEARD OF THIS DJ!!

Post subject: Jerry
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:14 pm 

So Chulo, you been to San Fransisco to hear him, right? You know him real well, right? Yes, I heard of him. So what? I heard of thousands of deejays whose names are not on this or any other site. I give a crap about the members here and now! Your sarcasm is a wasted here! Get a stage act! Try your hand at comedy!! So you have his Phone number, or email address so I can issue him a personal invitation? I would love him to join the site!!

Post subject: Re: Jerry
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:57 pm 

Pete Denis wrote:
You have his Phone number, or email address so I can issue him a personal invitation? I would love him to join the site!!

My mate Paul Goodyear is friends with Jerry. Once I coax Paul onto the forum maybe he can invite Jerry :)

Post subject: sounds like a plan
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:01 am 

Sounds good to me. CHULO, you call him too, will ya please!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:11 pm 

PETE STILL WORKING ON IT.

Post subject: Go Jerry go Jerry!
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:56 am 

Jerry Bonham has been probably one of the industry's most hardest working
and passionate people I have ever known. Not only is Jerry a brilliant dj but he is also one of the finest people out there. He is respected by some of THE biggest names in the dance world. He has played all the genres over the years and just loves the music and what he does full stop!
Every year I go to SFO for Jerry's set at Remember the party. And year after year I walk away totally awestruck by his classic disco sets. We all know how hard disco is to mix!
Floating BPM's, odd bar structure, tracks that just fade out with no breaks... ..... Jerry is flawless with his track selections,mixing
and programming. I ask why Jerry has never been a "bigger name"? He's a guy that steers away from the glamor of it all and is just himself. Mr Bonham
will go down as a great inspiration to me as some of my other friends and peers .....dj's like Pflext, Stephen Allkins, Peter Rauhofer and Stephen Cribb to name a few.
If you ever get a chance to hear him spin please go and experience his magic:-)
Paul

Post subject: I would love to hear him.
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:21 am 

I would love to hear him spin, does he ever get down to Tampa ?? I didn't think so. Tampa is such a lame town. Paul, I welcome you to this site. It is full of great deejays. Adding you is like the icing on the cake.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:22 am 

HIS EMAIL IS JERRYBONHAM.COM

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers