Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:55 pm 

I was lucky like Pete and many of you too be around in the 70's & 80's when disco was at it's peak. Best is almost impossible for me influenced me are many. Firstly DJ Angel from El Central in Jersey City. Wasn't the greatest mixer but his selections were second to none and his roots in black music at the time had the most influence. Then Richie Kazor who taught me how to use a felt under a record to hold it (up until that period my mixing was basically bring the record back until it kinda lined up with the other lol). Richie was the first and one of the best bangers (or slip cue) at the time. Then Joey Palmenteri who was the first DJ that actually I heard blend records. Then there was Tom Savarese, Flamingo Joe (best banger I ever heard), Frankie Beauchamp, Joey C, Richie G and Mike McKnight at Brothers 3 ( Joey & Richie were the masters on the long mix at the time). David Mancuso and Larry Levan taught me so much about programming, programming, programming (most important element in mixing to me). There were plenty of other great jocks I heard that I really liked including some members of this site but ones I've mentioned had the most direct influence in my choices and style to my art form.

http://myspace.com/hippietorrales

http://hippietorrales.podOmatic.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:55 pm 
In no particular order,DJ's I loved to hear in Miami were;

Scott Blackwell

Danny Tenaglia

David Padilla

Lewis Martinee

Ciro Llerena

Billy Swann ( not an innovator,but great mixer/entertainer/charisma )

Coop Da Ville ( Mostly known for hip hop,but is an excellent all around jock )

Bob Rosenberg ( Will To Power )

Carlos " no show " Nodal

Jorge Milan

Did I mention that guy Pete Denis was also really fun to listen too? lol

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:41 am 

A GOOD OR GREAT DJ, IN MY OPINION, IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER.

A GREAT DJ GETS THE JOB DONE, ANY WAY HE CAN, AND ENHANCES HIS CLUB BY HAVING HIS PATRONS CRAVE FOR MORE,
THEREFORE, CREATING A FOLLOWING.

THIS CAN BE DONE BY CREATIVITY IN THE PROGRAMMING,MIXING CAPABILITIES, AND AS PETE DENIS REFERS TO,'LIVE" MIXING OF A SINGLE RECORD WITH 2 COPIES, CREATING A MYSTERIOUSLY HOT "NEW" VERSION OF THE TRACK, RECOGNIZEABLE AT THIS DJ'S PARTICULAR CLUB, THEREFORE CREATING A SENSE OF UNIQUENESS AND MYSTIQUE.

THERE ARE MAY DJS THAT I ADMIRE, SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY GOT THE JOB DONE IN SOME SPECIAL UNIQUE WAY.

MIXER OR NOT THEY HAD AN ELEMENT THAT MADE THEM SPECIAL,UNIQUE AND DARING.

MANCUSO WAS DARING AND UNIQUE WITH HIS MUSIC SELECTION, SOUND SYSTEM AND THE APPEARANCE OF JESUS CHRIST BEHIND THE TABLES.HIS MUSAIC AT THE LOFT WAS NEW AND REFRESHING CERATING NEW EXCITEMENT FOR US ALL IN THE EARLY BEGINNINGS. HE WAS NOT A MIXER, AND PERHAPS WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE.

PAUL CASSELLA AT THE MONASTERY IN QUEENS, WAS A PERFECT MIXER AND COULD MIX 2 SONGS FOR MINUTES WHILE DANCERS NEVER LOST THEIR STEP.PAUL HAD AN EAR FOR MELODY TOO.YOU COULD WHISTLE WHILE YOU WATCHED THE FLOOR.HIS MIXING OF PEACE AND LOVE BY RON BUTLER AND THE RAMBLERS ON THE PLAYBOY LABEL(7 INCH ONJLY, VOCAL AND INSTRUMENTAL) TURNED A 3 MINUTE TRACK INTO 12 MINUTES. HE ALSO MIXED R&B WITH DISCO AND HAD A RESPECT FOR THE R&B MARKET THAT MOST DISCO CLUBS DID NOT VENTURE INTO. SMOOTH AS BURGESS WITH HIS SEGWAYS. I ADMIRED HIM AND OPENLY TOLD HIM SO.HE WAS COOL BEHIND THE TABLES AND DEMONSTRATED HIMSELF TO APPEAR LIKE A PRO AT ALL TIMES.

LEVAN HAD , PERHAPS, THE BEST SOUND SYSTEM PERIOD.

THERE CAN BE NO LARGER A CLUB THAN THE PARADISE GARAGE FOR SOME GOOD OLD FASHIONED FUNK, DURING THE DISCO CRAZE. IF YOU DID NOT LIKE FUNK, ONE NIGHT AT THE GARAGE CHANGED THAT PERCEPTION QUICK. HE WAS NOT THE GREATEST MIXER,BUT HE MADE US ALL LOOK AT R&B DANCE WITH A NEW RERSPECT AND ADMIRATION---ALL OF YOU READERS THAT HVE BEEN TO THE GARAGE WOULD HAVE TO AGREE THAT LARRY GOT TYHE MESSAGE ACROSS HIS WAY AND WAS SUCCESSSFUL.

JOHN COLON AT FRIENDS AGAIN, NEW YORK CITY , WALTER GIBBONS BEST FRIEND AND PROTOGE, WAS AN EXCELLENT FUNK/DISCO MIXER, AND I ADMIRED JOHNNY TOO. HE WAS A VIRTUAL UNKNOWN,BUT GREAT IN MY EYES. I'LL NEVER FORGET HIS CLASSIC SEGWAY USING ""FOREVER CAME TODAY , THE JACKSONS INTO THE 7 INCH LONG DISCO VERSION OF "IT ONLY TAKLES A MINUTE", TAVARES. SMOOTH AS A WHISTLE.

JIMMY BURGESS WAS JUST A HIGH ENERGY, UPTEMPO MIX PERFECTIONIST. IF YOU CRAVED A SHOT OF CLASSIC HIGH ENERGY DISCO,VISIT DOCTOR JIM BURGESS AT TWELVE WEST IN THE CITY. THERE WAS NO ONE BETTER THAT I HAVE HEARD. SMOOTH, CALM , COLLECTED AND ON THE MONEY---W ITH A SPIRITUAL UNDERTONE THROUGH THE NIGHT.ALL BUSINESS WAS HE.

THEY ALL GOT THE JOB DONE WITH A SENSE OF UNIQUENESS AS COMPARTED TO CLUBS WHERE DJS JUST PLAYED SONGS, PERHAPS MIXING PERFECTLY, BUT WITH NOTHING ELSE TO BRING TO THE DINNER TABLE EXCEPT FOR THE "SALT AND PEPPER". EVERY DJ HAS SALT AND PEPPER.---RECORDS AND A SOUND SYSTEM.

THEN THERE WAS BACHO MANGUAL.

BACHO COULD NOT MIX TO SAVE HIS LIFE.

HE COULD NOT MIX IF YOU PAID HIM BIG BUCKS TO PERFORM THAT MIRACLE.

HE WAS THE QUALUDE MASTER.

BUT NO ONE COULD DOUBT THAT HE HAD THE BEST SELECTION OF IMPORT RECORDS AT PLATOS RETREAT UNMATCHED BY ANY SUPERSTAR DJ'S COLLECTION EVER.EVERY TIME I VISITED BACHO I WOULD BE SHOCKED AT ALL OF THE NEW IMPORTS HE HAD.I BELIEVE THAT BACHO HAD MORE IMPORT RECORDS THAN ALL OF THE STUFF HE COLLECTED FROM THE LOCAL RECORD POOL . HIS COLLECTION WAS AMAZING. IF BACHO WOULD EVER SELL HIS COLLECTION, IT WOULD BE PRICELESS. BACHO DID NOT NEED TO KNOW HOW TO MIX.MIXING AS NOT ON THE MENU.ALL HE NEEDED TOP KNOW IS HOW TO PLAY IMPORT RECORDS FOR HIS SEX FIEND AUDIENCE AND WAS SUCCESFUL AT DOING EXACTLY THAT.HE CREATED A TRUE FOLLOWING HIS WAY.STRANGE, BUT IT WORKED FOR BACHO. IT WORKED FOR PLATOS RETREAT. AND I ADMIRED THAT.

HERE IS MY LIST. IT INCLUDES ONLY DJS THAT I HAVE HASD THE PRIVELEGE TO SEE AND PERFORM BEFORE MY VERY EYES:

IT INCLUDES DJS THAT WERE INSPIRING. MIXERS AND NON-MIXERS. THEY PROVIDED A SPECIAL INSIGHT INTO THIS WORLD OF DANCE BY KEEPING AWAY FROM THE TOP 40 LISTS ,FOR THE MOST PART AND PROVIDING A SHOW, IN THEIR OWN UNIQUE WAY, SOMEWAY ,SOMEHOW:

DAVID MANCUSO
PAUL CASELLA
WALTER GIBBONS
DAVID TOOD
RITCHIE KACZAR
EDDIE RIVERA
BACHO MANGUAL
MARK KAMINS
JUSTIN STRAUSS
RICK RICHARDSON
LARRY LEVAN
TEE SCOTT
JOHN COLON
BILLY CAROL

Last edited by bigpinkray on Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:06 pm 

Not being a DJ myself, I think I have a different view of you guys.

First dj for ME would be(DANNY POOCH) At every club I heard him play at, he was creative, Timely, exciting, and remixed songs like no one else. He created a whole new song when he did that. He (in my opinion) never played to the crowd, instead, he made the crowd dance for him. A real artist.
Next would be JIM BURGESS at Infinity. Nice long high energy mixes, a crowd pleaser. (Danny Pooch told me to go hear him play)

Then there is SCOTT BLACKWELL. At the Palladium in NYC. Talented, great mixer, played to the crowd.

Then there was PINKY. I heard him at IP. I was turned on by his choice, mixing, and energy. (Danny Pooch also told me to go hear him)

Post subject: The Best Club DeeJay?
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:45 pm 

Now, some background. I first got a club gig in a Big Daddy's in North Miami in 1973. Then deejayed at The Top Draw until 1980 or so. Off to New York City for a while, heard all the NY jocks. Then off to LA where I heard many great deejays. A stop in Houston, before returning to South Florida. And in all those years, I heard all the greats. Pooch? Heard him many times! He is great. Bob Vitiretti was great. Scott Blackwell is great. But the best CLUB jock, the most excitement was Pete. Forte, PETE remixes EVERY SONG HE PLAYS!!! No one knows him, he was not in New York. If he had been!! There would be only one name mentioned on this thread!! LOL No shit, no ass kissing. Just my professional opinion.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:57 pm 

These guys always play great music:

The Glimmers
Prins Thomas
Idjut Boys

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:15 pm 

Jimmy - If you read Pete's profile, it says he worked at the copacabna in NYC from 73 - 78. I never heard Pete play. I do not deny anyone there due. But Pooch emailed me the link to watch Pete on youtbe. What Pete did was great - it was like listening to Pooch.
Now, Pooch is the one who told me to visit Burgess & Pinky. Pooch told me he admired both of those guys. Not to say that Pooch did not talk about some of the other famous DJ's of the time. But I only went to hear who Pooch thought was good. Pooch took me to the Garage, I heard Larry, He could work a sound system and could play the right records, but he in NO way compared to Pooch or Pinky or Burgess or Blackwell when it comes to mixing. Larry was a good DJ for his style! Pooch also talked about Roy Thode, Frankie Knuckles, David Morales (Pooch's friend) I heard David play at 1018, I thought he was good.
All these guys have a different style and talent, but they are all good. Its like asking who is a better singer - Frank Sinatra or Tony Bennett. They are both great entertainers. But some might say they like Sinatra the best.
The question for the forum was " Who are the best DJ's you ever heard" I answered the question in my opinion. Remember I am NOT a DJ. I am a club person, I have heard a lot of DJ's. I choose who I thought were the best for me.

Post subject: Rob!!
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:24 pm 

Mr Forte! You wrote that your deejay knowledge was very limited. Pooch and a few others he told you about. That is cool. But, have you heard the deejays from Chicago, Miami, Paris?? So friendship played a big part of your opinion. I admire that. It is a very admirable trait. I too picked a friend, but I have heard hundreds of others, "All Around The World". And friendship played a very small part in my opinion. No big deal. Just a point I wanted to make.

Post subject: The Pooch!!
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:32 pm 

Hey, I had heard of Danny, but in all honesty, never saw him spin, or heard any sets by him. He seems to be from the same school I went to. So he HAS to be great! So to squelch any "tension", lets remember, that this is talk, about deejays, some gone, most extremely past their prime! Just to be in a conversation is an honor. So thank you all, these opinions are great. We all have one. And I too, admire loyalty, so Rob, kudos to you & Danny. Now, Danny, come on down!! March 27th, 2009!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:40 pm 

THE BEST deejay, is the one that makes you dance, and keeps you dancing! I think every deejay is great in his own way. Opinions, you gotta have one! So lets here from others. Europe?? Starr? HOBOKEN??

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:18 am 

There was Bill Kelly, Carlos Nodal, Scot Blackwell from South Florida. And PINKY, Pooch & Walter Gibbons from NYC. Frankie Knuckles in Chicago. and others. The world is full of competent deejays!

Post subject: Hoboken!!
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:01 am 

You want to hear from Hoboken? I knew you would want our opinions!! Pete, Danny, Pinky, everyone else. The best was Jimmy Burgess! That's it! Everyone else is great. I have learned one thing on this site. There were great deejays outside of New York City! But you all can't compare to Jimmy!

Post subject: I don't know!
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:11 am 

I am glad that you want a different perspective. But we don't have the answer either. Live, I really have never heard any like fat boy on that video. So I would say Pete Denis. Again, Jimmy Burgess was before my time, never heard him. But Pete is the bomb, at least on the sets from this Ranch House place. Just look at that fat video of his!! LOL I admit, I am no expert. Heard very few good deejays so Pete is the best I've heard!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:31 am 

Listen, I have been going out to clubs since 1972. I have had a dj set up at the salon since 75. I can spin. Really I can. But I am nothing in comparison to the deejays of the site, much less the names mentioned on this thread.

What I can tell you, from a deejay's perspective. From a Gay party animal. The best I ever seen or heard live, with me dancing to him. That would be Jimmy Burgess.

But, the best I have heard is the guy who did a 58 minute remix of such a great PATO song like "Fashionista". You know, that asshole!! LOL We love you!!

Post subject: The Best??
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:01 am 

I have worked behind the bar or at the door in so many New York clubs since 1979. I have heard every New York deejay. Leslie, Ceglia, Vazquez, Velazquez, Burgess, Hunphries, Scott, Levan, Blackwell, Pooch, Koczor, Benitez and more. They all were great in their own way. Pete Denis, George, Hippie, Jay & Ray are all as good or better then those guys were. And none, that I can remember, remixed as much as they do on this site. The very best?? Impossible to say! I was always told it was Larry or Leroy Washington?? Ever hear of him?? Rich Pampanella and Vince Pelegrino are other names I remember? But I think they both quit the booth at an early age.

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers