Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers

Post subject: Who Are The Best DJs That You Ever Heard?
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:02 am 

Who are the best DJs that you ever heard in a club or from a radio mix show?Or from a tape,even from a mixed cd (that is a bit strange because you'll never know what is real or computer technology)
As a DJ mix freak,I prefer to hear someone live in club,to catch the mood that creates and see his feedback from the crowd.At Mykonos the party never stops,specially at Cavo Paradiso,the club at I'm resident the music starts from midnight to 11 or 12 in the morning and I have many chances to listen many great DJs.
The best one most of the times was David Morales.When he is in a good mood he is the bomb:Very good mixing,total control of the crowd with his programming and a sense of unexpected,he can play ''The Boss'' of Diana or T Connection's ''At Midnight'' between house tracks.Erick Morillo is the other guy that always rocked the place with more dark sounds and his technical skills!Other US DJs that I always liked was Frankie Knuckles(once at Morales birthday played a fierce disco set) and Tony Humphries who plays very new music,but in his peak could throw Musique's ''In The Bush''!!!Joe Claussell plays great music too.
From Europe,Italy's Joe T Vannelli is great, David Guetta and Joachim Garraud gives the sound of France in the best dimention,Eric Prydz and Axwell from Sweden are the sound of today,excellent DJs and producers!Joey Negro was top in every club,very special with his disco-ish sound and his re-edits.
There's two DJs from the past that I have for them a lot of respect,but I never have the chance to hear them live:Jim Burgess is very special,most of his tapes are real magic,his programming and the smooth of his mixin is perfect.The other DJ is from Chicago and he is the most major influence in the way I djing.His name is Farley Jackmaster Funk,one of the original founders of house music and is the best technical DJ that I heard,his mixin and remixin' the mood and his music was incredible!!!He has a mix show at WBMX radio back in the 80s playin' early house with disco classics!
Unfortunely I have no idea about Miami scene except Pete and Ray!So who are your best DJs?

Post subject: Best??
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:13 am 

If I gave you a number of how many deejays I have heard through the years, it would be a lie. I have heard thousands and thousands. Back with Londontown, I had to hire deejays for 400 clubs world wide. Imagine, the auditions!! Sometimes auditions went on for a week! Then, all the clubs I've been to!! In every occasion when I hired a deejay in a different city, I checked out every club I could. Name the major city, I was there. Now, who was the very best. There were too many styles, preferences to say for sure. Blending wise, Scott Blackwell, PINKY Velazquez, Jimmy Burgess, Walter Gibbons were great. Live remixing, Walter Gibbons, Billy Swan but.... they couldn't do it in the quantity or quality I did! Hey, If I can't toot my own horn, then I am really an asshole. SMOOTHNESS!! Never missing a beat, I am very impressed with our own MR SMOOTH, Hippie Torrales , with Scotty Blackwell, Bill Kelly, Francois Kavorkian and PINKY again. Now, in EXCITEMENT! Which really defines a "Club" deejay, in the 70's, BINGHAMTON'S FERRY BOAT, had as the main floor deejay, a nerdish, ugly, skinny, nervous ball of energy named ED"THE WORM"Rothstein who put a new record on every few minutes, sometimes seconds. He would play three records for every one a normal deejay played. Compared to me, it was like five songs to every one I played. The crowds would erupt at each BOMB he threw. He created ten times more excitement then ANY deejay I ever heard. Larry Levan, was supposed to excite the Paradise Garage, he was a bit player in the excitement generated compared to THE WORM. Today's deejays!! I think they are all pretty lame. Then again, I haven't heard that many. But I have heard the really "great" superstars of this era. They are nothing in comparison to hundreds of OLD SKOOL deejays I heard! What I do like, and appreciate, are deejays who "create" their own songs & music. DJ SAMMY, DJ MEME continue creating DISCO music. So I favor them. Oh, I did not mention Bobby Lombardi. A very great deejay who impressed me very much in the late 70's. I might come back with more in the future, as I remember them, or as I become aware of them. How's that!!

Post subject: Educational!
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:24 am 

This was great! I am getting an education here! Incredible.
Obviously, I am no expert, but I have gone to clubs for, uugh,
maybe 35 years. Strictly in Florida, which has to be one of the meccas for outstanding deejays, at least, back in the day. Today, Florida deejays suck.
But I remember hearing Ciro Llerna in Miami, Bill Kelly and Bobby Viterritti in Fort Lauderdale. Lewis Martinee at The Limelight in Hollywood. But, I do believe, that the best I ever heard is now! Pete Denis jams! Not kissing ass, just stating an opinion. He excites me in his mixing, never bores me! And the remixing? Please, we have all heard him. So when he talks about other deejays like he did above. I tend to believe he knows his shit!! But in my opinion, he is the best .

PETE'S NOTE:: Thanks! But... KISS ASS!! LOL

Post subject: Time To Kiss Ass
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:54 am 

Well, call me a kiss ass. But I have said it before. I have been in the business for 30 years now. Seen many, many deejays. I love Pete Denis and the remixes, the excitement of his spinning. He may not be the smoothest, the cleanest I've heard. But I have no doubt what-so-ever, that he spins "live", and that is a "club" jock for sure. No-one can do the remixes he performs "live". Well, we all know he kicks ass. Now, John Ceglia, I heard him dozens and dozens of times. He also kicks ass. Tony Humphries, he too kicks ass. George Siras, he kicks ass! Jimmy Burgess kicked it as well. HIPPIE is MR SMOOTH! So that is a number of them. Thanks for letting me give an opinion on this!

Post subject: The Question is...
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:14 am 

The Question is, who is the best deejay I ever heard? Well, I have heard a lot in my day, hired dozens and dozens, maybe hundreds. THE BEST. The guy who made me a ton of money, the guy who everyone here has heard. Pete. But Fu&% you, I am not kissing his fat ass! But he knew his crowd, never had an off night. And the more pressure on him, the better he performed! Now Scott Blackwell, Bobby lomardi, Lewis Martinee are all up there too. And Ray,Hippie,John C, George & Jay as well! Those are deejays I have heard. There may well have been better ones, but I never heard them.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:52 pm 

In 20+ years, I have had the good fortune to see and hear many a good dj.I have heard most of superstars dj's of today and more of the lesser names one. All the great dj's on this site would be among'st my favourites as well and I have not even had the pleasure to see them spin live, so that is high praise from me indeed. I don't want to bore you with a list of dj's that I love as that would go on forever. however there is one Dj that excites me more than most when I have seen him spin live and he has never failed to make my night a memorable one .This man is NORMAN JAY and he hails from the UK. Most people on this site will have not heard of him apart from maybe the likes of Darren, Dancer ,Pflex and Hippie but I know you would like his style of Soul / Funk / Disco. Have posted a bio on the Dj/Remixer's thread if you wanna know a little more about the man.

Post subject: DJ's I heard in a club.
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:42 pm 

Of all the DJs I heard live in a club----->
Walter Gibbons made me move the most.

After him the guys that excited me were: (in order)
Francois K, Louie Vega, Frankie Knuckles, David Morales, Timmy Regisford, Todd Terry, Bacho Manguel, Bobby DJ, Tom Savarese,
Hector 'Papo' Medina, Bobby Vitteritti, Pinky, Doug Reddick, Tee Scott, Nicky Siano, LL, David Mancuso (and he didn't mix),
and my teacher & mentor to this day, DJ Paul Solari.

Now take in considerstion that I have not heard ANYBODY in a club since 2000 when I heard Louie Vega at The Sound Factory Bar in NYC.

There was this guy named Richie from Bklyn that could light it up. He would play 2 copies of "ASK ME" by E,P & P, (the 45) and run the intro FLAWLESSLY---you would think it was an edit!!!
That was back in '74----lotsa water under the bridge since then.

Today I love the tRH boys both--->PD & DJ Ray.
Dancer & Hippie's CDs are the bomb also!!!
They all cause lots of musical excitement in my household.
I wanna be there when "tRH BOYS" finally make the full comeback & play in a nightclub.
It will be magical---I want to be the 3rd base coach!!!

Post subject: Re: DJ's I heard in a club.
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:09 pm 

Jay Negron wrote:

Today I love the tRH boys both--->PD & DJ Ray.
Dancer & Hippie's CDs are the bomb also!!!
They all cause lots of musical excitement in my household.
I wanna be there when "tRH BOYS" finally make the full comeback & play in a nightclub.
It will be magical---I want to be the 3rd base coach!!!

In the imortal words of Dr King.."I HAVE A DREAM"...
And that is to see these wonderful mix-masters mentioned in the above post, play live in the USA and that includes you Mr Negron. No 3rd base coach for you my friend as you have your rightful place in the starting line-up. This is the focus of my attention of late and there a'int nothin' gonna stop me from fullfilling my dream come 2009. If I have to haul my ass over there by cargo plane, it shall be done!...Get ready Miami and lock up your daughters...the soul-boy is on his way for some dancin' and romancin'.....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:32 pm 

You better watch out, I should say, your girl better keep an eye on you! Miami is a BABE heaven!! Tanned, toned ,bikini bodies everywhere. In the winter, it gets so cold, that only the brave dare enter the 85 degree ocean water. The night life here is so lame! They only block off 20 blocks of traffic of South Beach every weekend! And the beach only has about 100 discos!! It sucks here!! But there is tRH. --------You may never return to the UK!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:46 pm 

Australia has some of the best djs in the world. :wink:
These are unsung heroes of the turntables that I've had the pleasure of working with over the years. :)

Stephen Alkins, Robert Racic, Paul Goodyear, Stephen Whiteman, John Hansen, Lee Reiger, Mark Dynamix, Groove Terminator, John Course, Alex Taylor, Johnny Gleeson, Sarah Main, Pee Wee Ferris, Jumping Jack, Jono Fernandez & Stephen Crib. 8)

Internationals I've been blown away by include.......

Carl Cox, David Morales, Danny Tenaglia, Graeme Park, Sasha, John Digweed, Terry Francis, Ashley Beedle, Francois Kevorkian, Derrick Carter, Jeff Mills & quite a few more whose names escape me this early in the morning.

Djs who I've heard via tapes/podcasts/cds that have turned me out are.....

George Siras, Hippie Torrales, Jim Burgess, Jerry Bonham, Tom Moulton, Jonathan Fearing & the Ranch House Crew. :twisted:

Last edited by pflext on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:16 am 

Unfortunately I was late in the disco era. I came into it as a deejay in the early eighties, but the love for disco was very much in me. In every club I played I always mixed disco with the new tracks of the time and mostly that's the way I spin now but with some eighties stuff too.

Now getting back to what this thread is about. Having said the above, I have not heard many deejays live, so I can't comment too much on the guys mentioned. I know them by their reputation and what Pete has schooled me in. That includes Pinky Ray, Jimmy Burgess, Scott Blackwell and Ed "The Worm" to name a few. But what I do know is the best deejays I heard in Miami came down to two. Ciro Llerena and Pete Denis. With Pete being leaps and bounds over Ciro. Don't get me wrong, Ciro was a damn good deejay, but lacked in the excitability and remix factor. Pete was the Champ. Ciro had more popularity because of the club he spun at, "Cassanova's". By far the most famous night club in Miami. That alone made Ciro look like he was a better deejay but that’s not how it was. The lines of partiers at Club Mystique would start around 4:30 to 5:00pm on Fridays and would last all through the night. "Unbelievable", for a club located in a hotel.

The other excellent deejay in the area was Bill Kelly. He was the closest to Pete of anyone I heard in these parts.

For the foreign deejays I’ve heard, it would be recent ones. I liked the early Paul van Dyk, don’t like him much now as a mixer because it’s mostly all pre-arranged with no excitement. I do like the music he puts out though. But by far the one foreign deejay that impressed me and gained my respect is our very own “Dancer”, George Siras. As for the others here, this does not mean you’re not top notch, you all hold your own.

My respect goes out to all those deejays that keep it "real".

Post subject: The Best!
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:03 am 

This is such a subjective subject. What I like in a deejay, perhaps you don't. What songs he plays, I may love, and you don't. What is important to me, may not be to you. Just look at the debate on THIS site about Larry Levan. Some think he was the bomb, others think he was a fraud & a joke. So when we post, "The Best" it is only a personal choice. If a deejay plays a certain "flavor" of music you don't like, but is an incredible mixer, where does he fit in? And, if a deejay plays what you like, you'll think he is great, but in reality, he ain't shit. All my years of clubbing, and I have been at it close to 30 years, I have been in many, many cities, both abroad and in the States. I am an admitted deejay groupie! I love deejays! All of them! It takes "cojones" to play music up there, where you are under pressure, under scrutiny, constantly. I have heard deejays jam, and then listened as everyone tells me he sucked. So in reality, this is all simply, total bullshit. All it is, is an opinion. And like assholes, everyone has one!

So it is my turn. I think everyone here knows where I am heading. I believe that the best deejays certainly were not "superstars". It was the jock at the neighborhood Disco that kept everyone coming back. Here are some names for you. Bobby Barea, Adolfo Ramirez, Les Small, Andy Katz, Larry Bigalow, Carlos Machado, Jonathan Smiley. You ever hear of them? NFW!! They were great. In fact, better then most of the "names" I have read here. So?? Get my point. Now, Pete was one of those. Here, on this site, he is getting exposure like never before. But what you don't understand, is that, 25 years ago, PETE was ten times better then he is now!! So?? Where does that put him? I think that in a Club environment, there has never been anyone better. NOT ONE!! The excitement of every mix was incredible. The crowds roaring to every mix, freaking out on his remixes. The songs changed, no-one realized it, then the dancers screamed when they finally realized it was a different song. The music? It wasn't one flavor. He was the Baskin-Robbins of flavors. He played it all. If you danced to it, he played it. Mixed R&B with New Wave?? Then to Disco! And all, perfectly executed, blended and remixed!! Then I have seen fights on the dance floor, and Pete talked the crowd into not allowing it to happen. I watched as the combatants got lifted above everyone, passed along(like in a mosh-pit) and removed from the dance floor. No one left, no bouncers, tell me, is that normal? It was a hypnotic spell he put on everyone. An awesome power and control. Usually when a fight erupts, the floors clear. Not when Pete was spinning. It just was not allowed. The music, the dance dominated, and no-one, nothing could stop it! The very best "club" deejay, was easily Pete Denis. And I have kissed his ass, but I ain't lying to you!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:45 pm 

Disco Then: I have no idea who it was at The Barnum Room, NYC July 1979 but he /she was GOOD. The music was right up my alley with nasty, snarling, decadent and pouding euro tracks like Louise Leshter: Deshabillez-Moi, No Romance by Theo Vaness and Café by DD Sound.
Disco Now: I like my on/off dj partner dj Aicha a lot, she's 100% on my wavelength with nasty snarling etc euro tunes. I've heard the recent cd comps orchestrated by Jerry Bonham and he is impeccable. Okay, he IS the best.
Other moods and grooves Now: The Karminsky Brothers! The London bros spin amazing easy tunes, bongo boogie, wicked cha-chas, bizarre disco, soundtracks etc. I haven't heard them for a while not having been to England for ages= too expensive, depressing weather, bad hotel deals. I hope they're still at it. For a taste, try the Espresso Espresso cd. It came out like 6 years ago or something but it just gets stronger.

Post subject: The Other end of this thread.
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:34 pm 

How about the very worst deejay you ever heard? Some put my name on that list. Rightfully so. But I know I am not THE WORST!! I think that all of the Miami people here will be unanimous in this choice. That Honor(HA HA) belong to the infamous "Smokey" from Sammy's East Side in the early 80's!! Am I right!!???

Post subject: Jerry Bonham
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:57 am 

Jussi you're right about Jerry Bonham!I forget about him,he is superb DJ.

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers