Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers

Post subject: THE HISTORY OF THE DJ & HIS TECHNOLOGY...
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:02 pm 

English physician and naturalist Thomas Young, records vibrations of a tuning fork on a rotating drum covered with wax. There was no way at the time to play this recording back.

The phonoautograph is developed by French Researcher Leon Scott de Martinville. The device translates air pressure fluctuations caused by sound into a wavy line on a sooty surface by means of a large horn, a diaphragm and a pig's hair. This transcript, recorded on a rotating cylinder, is, however, unable to replay sound.

Another Frenchman, Charles Cros, draws up plans for a machine that not only has the ability to record sound but also to reproduce it. Cros, an artist and a poet could not be taken seriously enough by financiers. The plans were left on the shelf.

Self taught success story Thomas Edison is experimenting with a new telegraph devise when he accidentally runs indented tin foil under a stylus. By the end of the year Edison has produced the first working phonograph able to 'store' and playback sound.

The first piece of recorded sound - Edison recites "Mary had a little lamb"

An improved rival phonograph is invented by Chichester Bell and Charles Tainter at the Volta laboratories they call the machine the "Graphophone" and utilise a wax coated cylinder incised with vertical-cut grooves.

The Invention of the Theremin was invented by Leon Theremin (Lev Sergeivitch Termen).The Theremin is considered the predecessor to the Moog Synthesizer. It is unique in that it is the first musical instrument that can be played without being touched.

Electrical amplification (the microphone) was introduced. This invention forced engineers to re-design reproducers. The Victor Company's answer to this revolution in sound was the Orthophonic Sound Box, which was very sensitive to high and low frequencies.

EMI researcher Alan Dower Blumlein invents Stereophonic Sound for recording.
"Blumlein led an extraordinary life in which his inventive output rate easily surpassed that of Edison, but whose early death during the darkest days of World War Two led to a shroud of secrecy which has covered his life and achievements ever since. His 1931 Patent for a Binaural Recording system was so revolutionary that most of his contemporaries regarded it at as more than 20 years ahead of its time. Among his 128 Patents are the principle electronic circuits critical to the development of the world's first electronic television system." extract from by Robert Charles Alexander

The invention of Magnetic tape first used by the Germans to play back the sound of Adolph Hitler in different cities around Germany. This was supposed to confuse the enemy as to where he was at any point in time.
John Cage composes imaginary Landscape #1: the first piece to use electronic reproduction. The piece was performed on variable-speed tape machines with RCA test tones and other sounds.

The first DJs emerge as entertainers for troops overseas. During WWII, persons armed with a turntable, an armful of records, and a basic amplifier would entertain troops in mess halls, spinning Glen Miller, the Andrews sisters, and Benny Goodman. It was much easier than sending an entire band overseas.

RCA Victor introduce the 7-inch 45 rpm micro-groove vinyl single and compatible turn table.

In Jamaica, as popularity of Jazz and R'n B increases, sound systems are used to promote the music. Sound systems developed from enterprising record shop disc jockeys with reliable American connections for 45s.

Ska develops in Jamaica, which makes the sound system explode in popularity.

1960s

Lee "Scratch" Perry, Edward "Bunny" Lee and Osbourne Ruddock (King Tubby) begin operating multi-track studios; they become major reggae producers.

"Toasting" begins in dance halls - considered to be a direct link to rap music.
Technics introduced the Direct Drive System, SP-10

Technics released the original SL-1200 as a hi-fi turntable.It is unclear who actually invented the Technics turntable. Apparently it was 2 Technics & Panasonic engineers that were working in Europe at the time.

Hutter, Florian Schneider & Co. form Kraftwerk - the first electronic band. Kraftwerk were quite simply revolutionary's because they built there own equipment and so created there own distinctive sound.
To hear other Kraftwerk tunes visit www.kraftwerk.com

Kool Herc considered to be the first hip-hop DJ develops "Cutting Breaks." Kool Herc adapted his style by chanting over the instrumental or percussion sections of the day's popular songs. Because these breaks were relatively short, he learned to extend them indefinitely by using an audio mixer and two identical records in which he continuously replaced the desired segment. By using two identical records and playing the break over and over switching from one deck to the other. Hip hop derived from "hip hoppin" on the turntable.

Grand Wizard Theodore discovers the scratch. The story behind the scratch is an invention of accident aparently he was mixing away in his bedroom making far to much noise and his mum called up and said turn it off or stop the music and instead of stoping the record with the stop button he used his hand instead and it made a nice sound.
He then came back to the turntables and experimented with pulling the record back and forth across the needle. And so gave birth to the scratch.

Sugarhill Gang's "Rapper's Delight" is released. While they didn't really utilize the skills of a DJ, this song had a profound influence on the sound of commercial hip-hop during the early 1980's.

While playing at a club called the Warehouse, DJ Frankie Knuckles lays down drum machine-generated 4/4 beats on top of soul and disco tunes. 12" disco records that included long percussion breaks (ideal for mixing) contribute to the emergence of House Music

Roland introduces the TB-303 bassline machine and the TR-808 drum machine which allows DJs to lay 4/4 drum beats over soul and disco tunes whilst cutting in and out to create a new mixed sound.

Grandmaster Flash's 1982 single "The Adventures of Grandmaster Flash on the Wheels of Steel" was Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five's first record to demonstrate hip-hop deejaying skills. This record also helped to popularise the scratch sound.

Afrika Bambaata's "Planet Rock" samples Kraftwerk and creates electro. Afrika Bambaata's influence was massive as they had a new sound that was very distinctive and original.
Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five's "The Message" becomes a hit. "The Message" is seen by many as the first serious rap record.

First affordable samplers (Akai s900) hit the market, which enable musicians to capture and manipulate existing sounds.
Other Hip-hop DJs in New York begin to use the spinback capabilities of the Technics 1200 turntable for "scratching", and to extend grooves and "breaks" by cutting back and forth between 2 copies of the same record as first exhibited by Grandmaster Flash.

The DMC (Disco Mix Club) holds its first annual DJ Competition. This is run by technics and is a massive achievement for any dj to win this competition. The competition has been getting stronger and stronger over the years with the development of new ideas and mixing techniques. This competition needs to be scene to be believed as there is little or no Disco and lots of extreme hip hop turntablism.

Hip Hop was then popularised by informas rap artists like ICET, Public Enemy, NWA
and RUN DMC. The music at this time exploaded in the USA and the UK and in parts of europe. The contraversy surrounding the groups lyrics only helped to sell more copies and inspire other hip hop acts.

De La Soul make a landmark album "3ft high and rising" which breaks nearly all production rules and quite simply redefines what hip hop can be. The genius behind the album was now very well known hip hop producer Prince Paul.

The rave scene came out of Acid House and became so big that promoters came up with the idea of putting on huge events in the countryside outside London - events that held thousands of people and went on all night. Police tried to close them down due to public safety issues and because of the amount of drugs that were being taken at these (peaceful Non violent) events.The Prodigy help popularize rave music and break beat and also manage to gain a large American audience.
In 1993 the Criminal justice bill was rushed through parliment allowing police to seize any and all equipment at these events. This is an infringement on human rights that has still not been lifted in the UK!

Scratch DJ Innovator/Perfectionist DJ QBert gains worldwide attention at the DMC.

DJ Flare introduces the "Flare" scratch. 92' also marks the year of the first scratch / battle record that was designed for ease of kutting and tricks because of the samples being on beat one after the other. It was called "Battlebreaks". The idea was then given to Darth Fader and the rest is history. Mixmaster mike follows his career with the beastie boys.

In a DMC competition Qbert and Mix Master Mike retire from the DMC to become judges and enter a new challenge, the creation of music with turntables.

The I.T.F. (International Turntablist Federation) holds it's first world champioinship competitions.
Showcasing the new era of turntablism, the historic battle at the Rocksteady Reunion between ISP and the X-Men (now called the X-Ececutioners) took place.
QBert gets filmed as a starring role in the movie, "Hang the DJ", which gets picked up by Miramax and plays in theatres in Europe, Canada, and the U.S.

Final scratch from Stanton purchace the world patent from Mark Bastian (N2it company) relating to the use of vinyl on a deck that would relay its position to a computer in real time (low latency) in order to play back audio from your computer.
This is given mass acclaim as a great breakthrough in turntablism and DJ-ing, allowing DJs to mix their own music and down load music from the internet and use that in a live set.
There have been reports that the vinyl wares out to quickly because you always use the same two coded records. The price of £499.00 or $700.00 is also going to be a deciding factor on weather you purchase this product.

Optical DJ is a new device due for release in 2007 by the beuis company. We can not give you all the information as it is top secret. However we have managed to get some information from the inventor that sounds like science fiction!

Apparently the needle never skips because the device is using a LASER to track everything you do on a turntable. I wish we could show you this device as it comes with many other innovations in its software as well as the hardware. This device not only promises to be the best dj cartridge in the world but also a device which will change the rules of turntabalism and dj culture by setting new standards. All you need is a 4 output sound card and it will work with windows XP.
Thanks to the Internet you to can be apart of history by creating the next level of DJ technology by doing lots and lots of research and investigating new emerging technologies.

Post subject: Very Nice Read
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:05 pm 

This was very enjoyable and educational. I actually pictured the entire post in my head while I was reading it. It was like a freaking time machine. Good find.

Post subject: Re: Very Nice Read
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:21 pm 

djrayj wrote:
This was very enjoyable and educational. I actually pictured the entire post in my head while I was reading it. It was like a freaking time machine. Good find.

I am always facsinated with the tech side of things when it comes to music and its history and I too found it an educational and enjoyable read. Knew that you would be able to relate to the history Ray and glad you enjoyed it as I hope others will to...

Post subject: Cool, but....
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:49 pm 

This is cool, but... not totally correct. I discovered scratching in 1972 during a fight and the two guys duking it out kept bumping into the table holding my turntables. The scratches were on beat, no-one left the dance floor!! Btw, that is complete bullshit! But I think it started that way. LOL

Post subject: Re: Cool, but....
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:06 pm 

Pete Denis wrote:
This is cool, but... not totally correct. I discovered scratching in 1972 during a fight and the two guys duking it out kept bumping into the table holding my turntables. The scratches were on beat, no-one left the dance floor!! Btw, that is complete bullshit! But I think it started that way. LOL

Moderator my ass!....your a f**kin comedian!..you just don't know it..LOL

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:32 pm 

Actually haven't checked all the facts but the fact is 1200's were not invented first.After the SP-10 was Technics 1100 then in 72 came the 1200 to replace the 1100. Rest of the facts are not verified but During WWII the french were partying in caves with turntables cause the Germans would not let them so first disco was probably a cave in France somewhere. Also that optical turntable not new. About 8 years back there was a laser cartridge turntable (Francois K brought one) but the price tag was $20,000 so it never caught on.

Here a 2000 review of the laser turntable: http://www.stereotimes.com/turn030300.shtml

http://myspace.com/hippietorrales

http://hippietorrales.podOmatic.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:42 pm 

Hippie Torrales wrote:
Actually haven't checked all the facts but the fact is 1200's were not invented first.After the SP-10 was Technics 1100 then in 72 came the 1200 to replace the 1100. Rest of the facts are not verified but During WWII the french were partying in caves with turntables cause the Germans would not let them so first disco was probably a cave in France somewhere. Also that optical turntable not new. About 8 years back there was a laser cartridge turntable (Francois K brought one) but the price tag was $20,000 so it never caught on.

Here a 2000 review of the laser turntable: http://www.stereotimes.com/turn030300.shtml

Hippie,
Love the story about the French having there own disco's in caves, I think this story has merit as it is well documented that the French were the modern pioneer's of the discoteque. In my post historical discoteques of the world which is in the international club section, it lists the following early discoteques of the era;
La Discothèque, in Paris (on rue Hachette), opened 1941
Whiskey à Go-Go, in Paris, opened 1947 by Paul Pacine
Chez Regine, in Paris' Latin Quarter, opened 1957 by Régine
The French would never let anybody stop them from partying, even a world war could'nt stop them....Nice post Hippie.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:31 am 

Soul_boy got a cylinder recording from my sister as a gift this weekend and started doing research on it and turned up what were probably the first payed DJ's. Which would have been around the turn of the 19 century late 1880's probably.

here is the quote I found:

" The earliest phonograph was something of a crude curiosity, although it was one that fascinated much of the public. Early machines were sold to entrepreneurs who made a living out of traveling around the country giving "phonograph concerts" and demonstrating the device for a fee at fairs".

Mobile Jocks obviously lol.

Here is the full article link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edison_Records

http://myspace.com/hippietorrales

http://hippietorrales.podOmatic.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:39 am 

EXCELLENT!!! I love it! I do believe that one of of mobile deejays was a guy named ED MARTIN!!! LOL

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:07 pm 

Hippie Torrales wrote:
Soul_boy got a cylinder recording from my sister as a gift this weekend and started doing research on it and turned up what were probably the first payed DJ's. Which would have been around the turn of the 19 century late 1880's probably.

Hippie,
That was some great thinking by your sister to get you something very different from the norm but still having a musical slant to it. Some clever thinking by her indeed. Enjoyed reading about the history of Edison as well, love tracing back and reading about musical history of any type. Gets my creative juices flowing....Good post my man!

Post subject: Re: THE HISTORY OF THE DJ & HIS TECHNOLOGY...
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:06 am 

If my memory serves me correctly Hippie is exactly correct. I remember the Technics 1100's very well. They did not have a slider to adjust the record speed. There was a small twist knob to do that and the light did not retract. Most back in the day preferred the 1100's to the 1200's. It was the most used turntable in clubs right after Thorens turntables. Anyone remember Bozak mixers. They were the predominant mixer back in the day.

Soap Factory, Dimples,
Chicago, Dante's Inferno,
Club Bene, The Palace + Others

Post Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:32 am 

Thanks Alan for your input on this subject. As I am only 42 years of age, I was not around in the early days of disco. So I love to hear about the equipment that was used back in the day, I find it very interesting indeed...Hopefully the old guard will chip in on the Bozak mixers....Where you at...Jay & Pete!

Post Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:08 am 

Alan Gohlke wrote:
If my memory serves me correctly Hippie is exactly correct. I remember the Technics 1100's very well. They did not have a slider to adjust the record speed. There was a small twist knob to do that and the light did not retract. Most back in the day preferred the 1100's to the 1200's. It was the most used turntable in clubs right after Thorens turntables. Anyone remember Bozak mixers. They were the predominant mixer back in the day.

The Bozak mixer was resurrected recently. They are still used in clubs. Tuttles and Club Mystique had them when Pete and I were resident dj's there. I loved that mixer.

See link for Bozak:

http://www.bozak.com/

Post Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:39 am 

Thanks Ray for the link to the Bozak info!

Post Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:53 am 

The Tropicalia & Pegasus had Bozaks as the mixer.
I grew up on the little round knobs or pots as we called them.
Also Act III & The Tropicalia had the 1100s.
They were a lil wider in platform and to me a lil sturdier.
The first 3 months at the Trop, were 2 Gerrard turntables hung up on thick rubber bands; the worst for beat mixing.
It was a real job to get the mixes on.
Only +-5% speed control; no segues at all. Everything was a crossfade.
Getting on the 1100s afterwards was like a breath of life!!!

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers