Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:46 am 

Nice one Hippie! :)
Thanks for taking the time out to share your knowledge on this subject. Key mixing is an asset if used properly. :wink:

Post subject: An education
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:58 am 

Hippie. That is an education. I am impressed, and now understand a little better why you are "Mr Smooth". An eye-opener , certainly, for some. As for what that teaches an old fossil like me. Not anything I can apply. I go by ear, feel and excitement value. But I certainly wish that in 1977, Hippie would haver shared this knowledge with me!! Lol- I could have been "smooth".

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:14 am 

Hippie,

First..thanks for a compelling and very informative read. This subject has had me baffled slightly for a while now. Your post has futher enlightened me on the subject and I now feel I have a good grasp on it. I was wondering Hippie...do you think that dj's that are also producers and re-mixers are more prone to using this technique than your normal proffessional club dj ?......Great post Hippie....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:04 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Hippie - very interesting.

Just need to get a better ear in order to be able to tell the key then ! :wink: As that seems to be the trickiest part in it all - finding out the key.

// Discoguy

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:06 pm 

Soul-Boy wrote:
Hippie,

First..thanks for a compelling and very informative read. This subject has had me baffled slightly for a while now. Your post has futher enlightened me on the subject and I now feel I have a good grasp on it. I was wondering Hippie...do you think that dj's that are also producers and re-mixers are more prone to using this technique than your normal proffessional club dj ?......Great post Hippie....

Soul-Boy I think so. Some may do it without knowing it others I'm sure use there music theory to help them. Discoguy as I mentioned there is now software that will find the key for you (called "Mixed In Key" I believe). Though not 100% accurate it does work about 75% of the time and if as you say you have no training in music having 75% done for you gives you a 75% improvement.

pflext just noticed that you are up to date on the technique. Good job.

One other point mentioned briefly by pflext is that in music every minor scale has a relative major scale and vice a versa. Briefly what it means that A minor scale has a major relative, which is C major in it's case. What does that mean? It means that every note in the A minor scale is also in the C major scale. So they have the exact same notes and because of it they would mix well together. Another good point pflext mentioned is that songs modulate sometimes (change keys within the song). One example of a song that modulates Is Just A Touch Of Love by Slave it starts in the key of D then modulates to the key of B then back and forth a couple of times before it ends. There are other techniques also that I will try and include as this subject progresses.

http://myspace.com/hippietorrales

http://hippietorrales.podOmatic.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:05 am 

Very interesting post, great knowledge of music! But I still stand my ground. You will be limited in experimenting different types of mixing if you only go by key. There are many ways to make and explosive mix without blending it so perfect that no one knows you just made a mix. Sometimes that's good, but not all the time. Hippie, there is no doubt you know your stuff and are more knowledgeable in music than the standard deejay.

Most touring deejays these days mix by key, not missing a beat and blending so perfect you can't hear it. Their sets have been preprogrammed long ago. They are basically a juke box, all mixes and most music all sounding alike. A lot of those deejays get in trouble when they stray away from their preprogrammed sets. They are lost if they don't have a "cheat sheet".

I'm glad not all deejays mix this way, it would be very boring at least to me. Only my two cents. And who am I?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:23 pm 

Agree Ray most jocks would sound boring if they mixed only in key. But like I said if used properly it is a advantage. You see most people believe that knowledge takes away from the feel but not true and especially if you know and use it wisely. Jazz musicians who took up music theory after years of playing by ear got the same slack from some musicians that never learned a note but the ones that did learn expanded there musical palate. And used it to great advantage. I started using CD's over 12 years ago and my DJ friends were like "you're crazy CD will never replace vinyl"! So you see Ray learn to control it and don't let it control you and your technique will expand.

http://myspace.com/hippietorrales

http://hippietorrales.podOmatic.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:28 pm 

As long as it sounds good at the end, isn't that what it is all about. No matter what path one takes, if they lead to the same place, the hell with the path that led you there. You got there anyhow!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:23 am 

I am glad all the positives & negatives have been put up on this thread for everyone to digest.
Knowledge is power.
That's the real key. :)

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers