Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers

Post subject: Larry Levan classic remixes
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:40 pm 
Site Admin

For you PG and LL fans...

I have just added Gwen Guthrie's Portrait album as CD of the Month as it has just been released on CD for the first time...
The CD comes with three classic Larry Levan remixes of "Peanut Butter", "Hopscotch" (instrumental) and "Padlock".
Check it out

Which other Larry remixes are among your favorites ??

//Discoguy

Last edited by Discoguy on Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:25 pm 

JIMMY ROSS - "FIRST TRUE LOVE AFFAIR"

THE SUPREMES - "LET YOURSELF GO"

Those are the first two bombs that spring to mind!

Monster tunes for me!

Am sure Jay will post a couple of dozen

Post subject: NoMixes
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:55 pm 

I thought Gwen Guthrie's Seventh Heaven was his best mix,until I heard the original mix and understund that he did nothing but a re-edit,same thing with Jimmy Ross First True Love Affair.
Sorry guys but I am a Burgess,Pettibone,Tee Scott,Martinelli-Todd,Kevorkian,Moulton,Luongo,Thompson-Barbiero,Gibbons,Morales,even Jellybean remixes fun!

Post subject: Larry Legend?
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:00 pm 

Again the debate starts. And, even though it may be be just me & DANCER, I agree with his perspective fully, 100%! Let the man rest in peace, and lets enjoy all the great disco music everyone has made.

Post subject: LL
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:18 pm 

Not all of Larry's remixes were just an edit.
"SEVENTH HEAVEN" & "FIRST TRUE LOVE AFFAIR" were great songs from the start.
What about "IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN YOU" by Gwen Guthrie?
That was a great remix!!
What about "DON'T TURN YOUR BACK ON ME" by Front Line Orch.?
What about "HEARTBEAT" & "WORK THAT BODY" by Taana Gardner?
What about "BODY MUSIC" by The Strikers?

I heard the originals to all 5 of the songs and have 4 of them.
There was EXTENSIVE changes to all of them.

There were others--he was not the #1 remixer---others have passed him by but I don't consider him below: Martinelli/Todd, John Luongo, Steve Thompson, and especially Jellybean<----ugh!!!

I put him equal to Tee Scott, Morales & Munzabai, and right under Gibbons, Moulton, Francois, & Jim Burgess.

I love David Morales but he changes the song TOO much. He is more like a producer/remixer.

Post subject: ll moments
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:39 pm 

Ok Jay let's talk seriously,I believe that LL is highly overrated as a dj and remixer but sure has good moments.Some of them:
Jeffrey Osborne - Plane Love (the dub version)
Gwen Guthrie - Ain't Nothin' Goin' On But The Rent
Gwen Guthrie - It Should Have Been You (it tooks one year to finish it)
Lace - Can't Play Around
Third World - One More Time
Narada Michael Walden - The Nature Of Things
Dee Dee Bridgewater - Bad For Me
Central Line - Walking Into Sunshine
Sparque - Let's Go Dancin' (with Francois Kevorkian)
Strikers - Body Music (a great song from the start,again with Francois Kevorkian)
David Joseph - You Can't Hide (Your Love From Me)(with Francois Kevorkian)
Peech Boys - Don'Make Me Wait
Taana Gardner All his mixes

And now some bad moments:
Dan Hartman - I Can Dream About You
Ednah Holt - Serious Sirious Dance Party
Al Jarreau - Raging Waters
Class Action - Weekend
Tony Paris - Electric Automan (maybe his worst)
Billy Nichols - Diamond Ring
Jimmy Castor Bunch - It's Just Begun (by far his worst)
Inner Life - Ain't No Mountain High Enough (you don't wanna mix this,a nightmare)
Chaka Khan - Tearin It Up

I can give more examples of bad remixes but there no need,the fact is that LL rarely helps the songs with his remixes,the songs help his career.
I don't put on the list Instant Funk's I Got My Mind Made Up 'cause some rumours tell that was an original unfinished Walter Gibbons mix that LL just re-edited(very real for my ears,all these drums and edits is Walter's sound)

Post subject: Yes we can agree
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:54 pm 

Yes Dancer we can agree on that!

I love the "PLANE LOVE-DUB", Lace, Central Line (both songs), David Joseph, Peech Boys & Taana.

I also love Ednah Holt, & Inner Life. I didn't hear the original of Inner Life tho so I cannot comment.

I agree about how bad "TEARIN' IT UP" was.
Another bad one is "SOMEONE LIKE YOU" by Sylvester.

Instant Funk's "GOT MY MIND....." DOES sound like Walter! Absolutely!

They are probably both arguing about it in Disco Heaven!!!

Post subject: JAY??
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:29 am 

Didn't you once tell me a story about I GOT MY MIND MADE UP, and that it was a Walter Gibbons remix? I remember it, in fact, it is probably somewhere on this site! So WHAT'S UP!!!

Post subject: UH UH
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:57 am 

That wasn't me Pete.
This is the first I've ever heard about it.

PETE'S NOTE::Well it won't be the last of it!! LOL

Post subject: Rumors
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:12 am 

I've found this on Net :shock: :

Then something mysterious happened.

Either Walter Gibbons was handed the task of remixing Instant Funk's "I Got My Mind Made Up", came close to completing the mix, but then became a born-again Christian and said he would only finish the job if Ken Cayre recorded some new vocals, at which point the Salsoul boss asked Larry Levan to finish off the remix -- for which the Garage DJ was wholly credited.

Or Gibbons was never handed the Instant Funk remix, which was given straight to Levan, who went into the studio on 4 December 1978 and did what he had to do. Having completed just one other mix -- "C Is For Cookie" by Cookie Monster & The Girls, which came and went without causing much of a stir -- Levan came out with one of the most mesmerising, earth-shattering remixes of all-time.

Ever since the release of "I Got My Mind Made Up", the first version of the story has been nothing more than a flickering rumour familiar to a handful of New Yorkers -- plus Colin Gate, a Glasgow-based dance producer and record collector who, having travelled to Manhattan in the mid-nineties to work for Will Socolov and Todd Terry, was given the opportunity to purchase Gibbons' record collection following the DJ-remixer's death in 1994. When Gate told me about the story, I asked the key parties what had happened.

"I worked for weeks on the record," remembers Bob Blank. "Walter started on the mix but then refused to carry on because he became very religious. I remember him saying very specifically, 'I really don't think I'm going to be working on this record anymore.'" Blank and Cayre subsequently worked on the remix for almost a week in Studio A. "We worked on it after Walter left the project. I brought in a lot of stuff and I have to credit that to Walter. He was the ultimate arbiter."

Blank says that he and Cayre never intended to finish the remix, and that Levan came in at the very end. "Larry was brought in after we had worked on this record forever. Larry basically had very little input on 'I Got My Mind Made Up'. All the groundwork had been done and he only came in for a few hours. But it was Larry who made the nine-minute version. It was never nine minutes before he came in."

Cayre has a different memory of the remix. "Walter never went into the studio with 'I Got My Mind Made Up'," he says. "Larry was playing the record at the Paradise Garage and loved it. We went to see the edits he was doing and we asked him if he wanted to do a remix. We asked Larry because he was getting the best reaction of all the DJs." Cayre says the Garage mixer was a sensation in the studio. "Larry really took the record to a different level. He was very comfortable and really tore into the song."

However Denise Chatman, who was tight with both Gibbons and Cayre, remembers Gibbons being involved, too involved, with the Instant Funk track. "Walter's whole being was taken over by something else during the remix of 'I Got My Mind Made Up' and that made Kenny very, very nervous," she says. "Walter became very judgemental of everybody around him -- he was against any kind of cursing -- and he became very uncomfortable with the material."

Having stretched the boundaries of remix culture to breaking point, Gibbons went a step too far. "Walter asked Kenny to change the lyrics and there was no way that was going to happen," says Chatman. "I told Walter he was being totally unrealistic. Kenny then went with Larry." Chatman adds a cautionary note. "Did I witness these conversations? No. But I was in touch with Walter for quite a while and I remember as clear as can be that the lyrics to Instant Funk made him very uncomfortable."

Chatman insists that Cayre was acting with the best intentions. "Kenny was more than willing to let Walter finish the mix. Kenny is a stand-up guy. If he believes in you he will stand by you through everything." According to Chatman, Cayre was absolutely crazy about Gibbons and Gibbons thought the world of Cayre. "There is no way in the world Kenny would have ever taken the mix away from Walter. They had a real bond. Walter just became uncomfortable with the material. What can you do in a situation like that? The music is what it is."

The events of the "I Got My Mind Made Up" remix happened some twenty-five years ago. Since then, memories have faded and seeped into each other to the point where absolute clarity over what happened when and why has been lost, or at least put on hold. History isn't always a blur, but it can be, and, for the time being at least, the truth behind Instant Funk must remain suspended, especially as Gibbons and Levan are no longer around to provide their version of the story.

Yet the elusive truth behind "I Got My Mind Made Up" matters because the twelve-inch is widely considered to be one of the most spellbinding remixes -- if not the most spellbinding remix -- of the 1970s. It helped propel the single to the top of the R&B charts and it launched Levan onto the remixing map. With the dubious benefit of partial hindsight, it could now cement Gibbons' reputation as the most influential remixer of the 1970s.

The Instant Funk twelve certainly sounds like a Gibbons Galaxy reel transposed onto vinyl. A deceptive sweet-lush intro is followed by a crackling percussive break interspersed with a rhythm guitar, repeated snippets of the song's upfront chorus and an extended keyboard jam, followed by the incredulous female reply of saaay whaaat? Then, in its full-frontal glory, comes the chant of I got my mind made up, come on, you can get it, get it girl, anytime, tonight is fine. The instrumental track and vocals ensue, producing a room-rocking crescendo, before the track cuts to another deep-down break, during which the bass and rhythm guitars groove over an undulating percussive backdrop. A final reprise of the song concludes the track.

The swirling structure and drum-happy attitude is classic Gibbons -- everlasting beats followed by a vocal release to the power of two -- so if Levan did mix "I Got My Mind Made Up" it should at least be acknowledged that he was adopting Gibbons' template beat for beat, phrase for phrase. Levan may have developed his own unique style during the eighties, but this much cannot be said of the ghetto-style groove of Instant Funk.

"'I Got My Mind Made Up' is very much in the style of Walter, so I wouldn't be surprised if he mixed it," says Danny Krivit. "But that doesn't mean that Larry didn't feel the record in the same way." Krivit notes that Levan's remix of "C Is For Cookie" is "much gutsier" than Roy Thode's flipside, so it's conceivable the Garage DJ could have come up with the Instant Funk remix. But whatever the truth, Levan's legacy will remain unaffected. "Larry wasn't credited with doing that many great mixes in the seventies. He did a few, but the eighties was really his decade."

Gate, now back in Glasgow, senses that Gibbons might be viewed differently if he had been credited with the "I Got My Mind Made Up" remix. "Instant Funk took Larry from being just another New York DJ to being a contender in the record industry overnight," he says. "There is no doubt that Larry would have made a name for himself as a remixer without it. But if Walter and not Larry had been credited with Instant Funk, Walter might have been known as the genius."

For more info about who's writing that just pm :D

Post subject: WAS HE ALL THAT??
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:25 am 

HA!! I won't gloat, I will just say it again, WAS HE ALL THAT?? Really??
Funny thing about history and legends, if the legend is more believable then the actual history, then believe the legend! It happens all the time, throughout all of history, especially in the media crazy United States. Who warned the Colonists that the British were coming. Who got on his horse and went 350 miles telling everyone. "Why it was Paul Revere of course!" What sounds better, Paul Revere or ISRAEL BISSELL. Well the fact is that it was ISRAEL BISSELL not Paul Revere who warned the colonies! When the legend becomes bigger then the fact, print, and believe the legend. Larry was a legend!

Post subject: Walter vs Larry
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:36 am 

Yes - I love this Disco comparison between the two.
Walter was always more adventurous with his mixes; "MOON MAIDEN", "BLOCK PARTY", CATCH ME ON THE REBOUND" are few that come to mind.

Larry was more conventional.
intro/vocal/chorus/vocal/chorus//break//chorus/outro.
Even his 'B' sides were uneventful. I never played his 'B' side DUBS except for David Joseph.

Walter on the other hand was best on his 'B' side dubs!!!!

That's why I always my vote went to Walter Gibbons.
'
PS--I'll take Bob Blank's word over all!!!

Post subject: Ripping Of
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:16 am 

Sorry again Jay but all the dub of David Joseph is a rip off of Jingo Breakdown,the dub mix that Shep Pettibone did for Candido's Jingo,earlier from You Can't Hide in 1983.

Post subject: Didn't get that
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:29 am 

Don't be sorry, bro !
I never heard Shep's mix on "JINGO".
It must be the shit----Love the original mix!!!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:56 pm 

Sorry on two fronts,

Jay correectly points out that LL did not remix The Supremes and secondly Dancer correctly points out jimmy Ross was a re-edit.

I was under the impession that both tracks were remixed by LL. Probaly the confusion stems from the fact that i was informed that the tracks were heavily played out at the PG and over the years with a combination of booze and sinille dementia i got confused!

Thanks Jay & Dancer for putting me straight!..and lovin' your debate!

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers