Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers

Post subject: FRANCIS GRASSO
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:42 pm 

Between his active years @SANCTUARY (1969-1972). Francis Grasso was credited by a lot of people with being the pioneer of mixing records, back then i think the art of it was quite simply called "Changes". self-explanitary me thinks! Can anybody out there expand on this subject and do they believe that the credit belongs to someone else?

Strut Your Funky Stuff!

Post subject: Who really knows??
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:17 pm 

It really wasn't documented, no records were actually kept, so, I INVENTED IT!! Yeah that's the ticket, it was me! LOL- In all seriousness, IT WAS ME!!!- No! seriously now, I always was told such, and in 1971, right out of Elementary school graduation, I went to New York City, with my friend Moe & my brother, and we all got into the SANCTUARY. It was a first for me, first club, first hearing a "mix", but I never saw what we would consider a mixer, and the,"Mixes"? Well, Ed Martin(The World's second worse deejay) does better. What that means, is there really wasn't mixing, just quick CHOPS, or CUT mixes. As time went on, those CHOPS/CUTS were more precise, and unknown to anyone, on beat! In those early days, it really was just about the MUSIC, that is why Larry Levan, David Mancuso and Francis Grasso became legends. From that followed CARLOS NODAL, JIMMY YU, ED"The Worm" ROTHSTEIN, SPANKY, JOHNNY TRIPP as the next generation of "butcher" mixers. In early 1973, the new era of mixers arrived; along with that came the main man JIMMY BURGESS. And others such as BOBBY LOMBARDI, ROBBIE LESLIE, JOHN BENITEZ, RAY"Pinky"VELAZQUEZ, BOBBY VITERITTI, JOHN CEGLIA,RICHIE KOZAR, ALAN GROHLKE, JERRY LEMBO, myself(Sorry guys, this is off the top of my head) and dozens of others who I neglected to include, as the first wave of beat mixers. As the years passed, more musically inclined deejays followed, and soon, every great city had great deejays(not just New York City). Now that is my version. I am sure there must be at least a thousand different stories, versions, of the beginning! I really would love to hear them all!

Post subject: What I Know
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:25 pm 

From What I Have Heard, It Goes Like This; PETE STARTED IT!! That Is What He Told Me!.... How about a New York City deejay named Larry Washington? I know he was a deejay before disco existed. First deejay I heard "blending" a song, was BOBBY LOMBARDI at Rum Bottoms in South Florida!

Post subject: Francis Grasso?
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:10 am 

What, Francis Grasso invented mixing? NO, I always heard it was Pete! That is what he told me. Seriously, I would not know. Way before my time. But I have always been told that LEROY WASHINGTON was using two turntables in the late 60's. And that Francis actually watched, and copied what LEROY did. This is all bullsh** anyhow. No-one really knows!

Post subject: I can help
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:24 pm 

I remember back in 1974 watching a DJ named Danny Pooch BLENDING 45's & LP's. Did not have any 12 inch yet. And as memory serves me, I recall him remixing the 45's to extend the song. The first dj i ever saw do that.

rforte :roll:

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers