Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers

Post subject: ***PETE DENIS***FIREBACK RESPONSE***
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:34 pm 

Peter,

Thank you for introducing me to the forum.

It's been quite a while since The Copacabana for you and the Ipanema for me. In retrospect, as UK artist Heaven 17 , track title "Let Me Go" spells out in the final line of lyrics in the song..."these were the best years of our lives" .The excitement, the energy- we were master performers on stage putting on an incredible show.Our crowds could not wait for the weekend so that they could be held spellbound and mesmerized by our creativesness and sense of vision after hard prepartion during the week to make our show another spectacular event in the lives of our followers.

I am so furtunate to be part of this particular forum.

Even though I never really heard you spin, Pete,I did receive the news from followers of mine that also went to the Copa.On this level, it was impressive newsl

And believe me when I say that you were HOT on those turtables! It was the WAY I was informed "Over and Over" (DISCO CIRCUS) that quietly told me that you were a legitimate entity to be reckoned with. It's like Robert Dinero and Al Pacino meeting face to face in a showdown.This is the impression that was being formed in my mind about you and I when I recieved ongoing messages about your spinning abilities.That was my competitive spirit at it again.But in reality, it was really respect for a master at his craft!

It is a pleasure and an honor to communicate with someone who understands what it takes to master a craft and take that mastery into a higher path, a higher level of creativity.And the resaon fdor this is that a true artist is never really satisfied with just getting by but rather demanding more from himself/herself than anyone could ever expect. This is mastery.

The Copa was always a hot spot in the city and I only heard incredible things about you behind the turntables.Repeat comments about your spinning abilities were constantly reaching my ears at the Ipanema.
My hat is off to you and I sincerely am extremely excited to be part of this form!

Post subject: The deejay
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:22 am 

The Deejay was meant to be the one guy that made DISCO, in every sense, work. It was up to us to create a sensational time, and few have ever done it better then PINKY. We would make hit songs, bigger. It was the remixes, the timing and the knowledge of how to take our fans on "TRIPS" without anything other then our talents. We were the dealers of GOOD TIMES!! But through the music, energy and atmosphere we created. So, we celebrate today, I sure am! That Ray has joined us! Thank You, PETE

Comparing us to DeNiro & Pacino!! Gives me chills! AWESOME!!

Last edited by Pete Denis on Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Pete Denis Fan Club?
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:33 am 

Incredible!! Ray & Pete!! What a 70's brain freeze!! I used to go to both these clubs, and the mutual admiration and respect is long over-due!! I hope that in the future, these two give us something to remember!!! What a f**k*** great site!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:03 am 

Well, now all of you know Pete is for real! If there were any doubters out there, this puts it to rest! I expect bigger and better things to come.

Post subject: FOR REAL?
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:22 am 

FOR REAL? What does that mean? I think the fact that I am for real, has stopped me from becoming..... something more? Being a Jersey Boy, with attitude and experience has prevented me at times from success, but on the other hand, it kept me alive through an unbelievable life. As for being the Real Thing? Was there any doubt? I did not know that. What you mean is, that I was not a household name? True, but those who partied at my clubs, always knew who the deejay was, didn't they? They, had no doubt! So others are NOW learning of me. True, but the best is yet to come! Now that PINKY is here, the sky is the limit! We have a link, that goes back almost 35 years. We played the same thing, the same way, at two very successful competing clubs, just blocks away from each other. The fact that we branched out in different directions, does not take away from the fact that we came from the same tree. I am simply glad that I will now get to talk & communicate with a fellow deejay from my neck of the woods, who grew into this vast jungle at the same time. Who knows what the future holds? I will say this, "I can see clearly now", the rain is gone. I can see the Sun shining brightly.

Post subject: how great Is this for me!!
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:55 am 

Now I have heard both these guys. For over two years, they provide me the very best Disco ever. I used to go to both the Ipanema & The Copacabana. So how great is this for me! Do you have any idea? These guys showed me the soul and beauty of Disco music. They taught me how to love the scene! Having them both here is great news! Pete, knowing you so well, knowing how you always talked about PINKY, how impressed you always were, how you worked the turntables, because you wanted to keep up with him, you must be delighted! Ray, there were two clubs I went to, the ones you guys deejayed at. That alone should tell you that Pete was every bit as good as you. It was so much fun hopping back and forth. At times, I would swear it was the same deejay at both clubs. Did you guys copy one another? Or was it entirely accidental? It is a question for both of you.

Post subject: Lovin this!
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:01 pm 

The Copa, Tropicalia, & now Ipanema's on the site!!!!!
I am surly lovin' this!!!!
Is Eddie Rivera from the Cork & Bottle out there?
What about David C.--also from Ipanema?

Post subject: Yes, How Cool Is This!
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:54 pm 

I agree with all you guys. We have a great line up! I think our roster is better then ever. My mind, my imagination, takes off!! I can envision a night at a Disco featuring our roster of Deejays!! Tell me that wouldn't be special! Well publicized event featuring the Mid-Manhattan deejays from the Disco Era!! WOW-- Now to formulate a GAME PLAN!!

Post subject: don't be greedy!
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:21 pm 

Pete, don't give Ny all the props now. Don't forget the Miami deejays! The mix is needed you know. One big melting pot with NY and FL making a delightful gumbo!

Post subject: Please!
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:30 pm 

You Know that I feel New York City deejays always got the publicity, sometimes well deserved, but most of it un-warranted. There were thousands of great deejays world wide. I remember hearing our newest member to the Forum, Chinese Deejay TIGERLEE spinning in Nassau once. This guy was incredible, and with music I never heard. Getting him to join us was an adventure in itself. I had a very difficult time locating him, but I got him to join!! So fear not, we will be well represented! Can you imagine a battle of the deejays, versus "other" sites!! I would love it. Talking about schooling someone!

Post subject: No Way!
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:10 pm 

You got Tiger Lee!!! I heard he was doing acupuncture at one point. Was that true?

Post subject: Tiger Lee
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:00 pm 

Ray,
You know those orientals, they do many things, wear many hats. Tiger Lee tore up the turntables at Hong Kong's "SHANGHAI VILLAGE" for over a decade, then was in the Family Business, ACUPUNCTURE. So he uses a needle for more then records!! I can't wait for him to join the chatter here. This is truly a world site now!!

Last edited by Pete Denis on Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:19 pm 

FOR THOSE THAT ARE KEEPING UP WITH THIS FORUM I MUST SAY THAT YOUR COMMENTS ARE VERY SOOTHING AND ELECTRIFYING.

IT'S ALMOST AS IF ITS SHOWTIME AGAIN BY PARTCIPATING HERE.

ANYWAY, FOR THOSE THAT NEED TO KNOW, PETE DENIS AND I NEVER TEAMED UP ON OUR PERFORMANCES THOUGH WE SOUNDED SIMILAR AS SUGGESTED BY JOSE "PEPE".

AS A MATTER OF FACT, I HAVE NEVER HEARD PETER SPIN, THOUGH I HAVE BEEN TO THE COPA MANY TIMES AND KNEW THE OWNERS VERY WELL.

PINKY FLASHBACK:I REMEMBER ONE NIGHT DURING THE WEEK, EARLY IN MY CARREER GOING TO PETER MARTIN'S TROPICALIA AND HEARING WING AND A PRAYER'S 7 INCH LONG VERSION(WITH THE 33 RPM HOLE)OF" EASE ON DOWN THE ROAD" FOR THE VERY 1ST TIME.IT SOUNDED GREAT AND I IMMEDIATELY BECAME HOOKED ON EASE ON DOWN THE ROAD SINCE THAT NIGHT.

I ALWAYS VISITED MANY CLUBS TO FINE TUNE MY OWN SPINER STYLE.
PAUL CASSELLA AT THEvMONASTERY IN QUEENS WAS A REAL KICK- BUTT PROFESSIONAL. BEHIND THE TURNTABLES.

Post subject: Never Talked About Our Record Selection
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:43 pm 

Pepe, PINKY usually had the music ONE day before I did. If he played something new, that night, I found out about it! Patrons that went to both clubs would tell me. The next day I would be at DOWNSTAIRS, or in The RECORD SHACK, or in the Village, or on 42nd street buying whatever it was he played. It was an obligation, I had to, to keep with my main competition. It was fun, those days, of getting the latest music.--- While PINKY may have never, personally, heard me spin, I certainly heard him spin when he dominated at IPANEMA. I would go there on my night off; sometimes, Tony or Luis(El Flaco)would stop in, give me a break, and I would go over to IPANEMA. Did I "copy" what PINKY mixed, I probably did. But I would be stupid not to, PINKY was the very best! That area of New York City was full of fabulous clubs. So, you had to be on top of your game, and with PINKY leading the way, I always thought that the best music came from us. We played stuff that other clubs wouldn't touch. All that Brazilian Carnival music was a trademark of our part of New York.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:38 am 

THIS ALL SOUNDS GREAT TO ME MAYBE A BIG DJ GET TOGETHER AT THE RANCH HOUSE OR SOMEWHERE ELSE FOR THE MAKING OF (DISCO LIVES 2009 MASTER MIXES), SO WHATS UP PETE PUT IT TOGETHER.

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers