Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: The Lost art Of Re-Mixing
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:51 am 

Well as awlways Michael you are accurate with your information. It is funny because Mel and Barry I spoke about the book and we felt that there was lack of info as well as a focus on the normal "city" Dj's again.
Maybe I am the one that should write a book!!
Anyway, thanks for the time in contributing here.
Do you like my "Still Alive"?

Pooch

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:05 am 
Site Admin

DanPooch wrote:
we felt that there was lack of info as well as a focus on the normal "city" Dj's again.

Pooch,

We're waiting !!! :wink:

// Discoguy

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:35 am 

DanPooch wrote:
Well as awlways Michael you are accurate with your information. It is funny because Mel and Barry I spoke about the book and we felt that there was lack of info as well as a focus on the normal "city" Dj's again.

Pooch

Before Barry passed he actually discussed the book with me, even though I'd yet to read it.
Just finished reading it today.
I know now what he meant about it being very "localised".
I would however recommend it as compulsive reading (as well as other books on the period) to anyone intrested in the topic.
I'd love to hear about all that other stuff you did @ some point though Pooch.
The Japan bit sounds intersting. :)

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:54 am 

I would love to read a book from you Dan!!!
I am sure that you know EVERYTHING about the Disco Years,even the behind the scenes things and the important point is that you are really a GREAT DJ,so you can tell exactly who was who and how all happens!!!!!
This is a great idea because no one can write better a book about DJs and Disco Music than a original first generation DJ like you or Jay!!!!
Please show some mercy,no more stories about Levan and Mancuso,enough with the no mixing DJs!!!!!!!
Thank god,some Disco DJs are still Still Alive :D :D :D

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:26 pm 

DanPooch wrote:

Pooch

Lovin' your picture Pooch but it's time to come off the salads brother!..Lol
I for one would quite happily hand over my 30 bucks or so to read yours or Jay's memoirs!
I could personaly listen to you two brothers preach the gosple on all things music, all day long!...Keep what your doing Pooch and say it how it is...you have a appreciative flock here!.....Sing Brother!.. Sing!

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:18 am 

Gentleman - You flatter me. I thank you for you confidence and assurance, Jay, Mikey, Claes, Paul and George.
You are all too much. You guys are what keep me going. I do so wish I had more time to spend here with you all.
Pooch

Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:22 pm 

I mean not to insult anyone who performs in a club, in front of a crowd, or on a radio show, I am mearly expressing my feelings, my observations.

On October 24, 2009, I had the pleasure to exhibit my art form to a crowd at Nox, in Brooklyn. This was a cancer benefit and my time was donated. I also had the pleasure of being in the company of Ralphie Dee, Danny Cole, Vinnie T and Eddie DiLollo. This was the first time I had actually played vinyl and the other Dj's utilized todays technology. Eddie used the computer, Ralphie used Serato, Danny used CD's, and Vinnie used CD's. I had never actually watched any of those formats being used before. Sure I have seen it and listened to a couple of (DJ's) but I never really eyed the whole format. I was the first jock to play, and I played all vinyl.
I am not blowing my horn here people, I am saying it like it is and also repeating what was said to me. When I played, I had used all my knowledge of the tables, I remixed each song, went from A side to B side, Vocal to Dub, I double tracked and Quad tracked, Phased and looped phrases. I had extensive overlays during mixing, I overlayed vocals from one song over the tracks of another.
When the other jocks came on to play, there was none of that art form. I am NOT insulting my fellow DJ's, I have known these people for 30 years. what I am saying is, all there was going on was mixing. One record to the next.
Now I know in my heart why I was told "you are the last of your kind". I recall the moment when I finished a double lay over, grabed the record and flipped it in the air and spun it in my fingers and placed back down on the platter on the B side. and in the corner of my eye, I saw two Dj's high five each other. I was told by a number of people how great it sounded, how cool it was to watch. Even Lenny Fontana sent a email about how great it sounded. It was not the fact that I played records, it was the fact of what I did with those records, my presentation, "The Art" of remixing. I know that there are some jocks out there that still play records and exhibit some art form, one I am sure of is George Siras in Greece, I heard his great sets. But, I have now become full aware that my days are numbered. One fact brought to light is that this is the third time I went to play in a club and the tables had to be set up for me. The end of days is upon me, my heart is filled with sadness, and tears come to my eyes.
My ART, my LOVE, and in many respects, my CREATION is nearing its end of days. Like the Dinosaur, soon to be exticnt. I am that I am. Old School, I am the teacher, the creator, the artist, the very definition of "Disc Jockey".
I can not change.

Respect to all,
Dan Pooch Pucciarelli

Last edited by DanPooch on Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:23 am 

Don't be so sad Danny.

I still have my tables hooked up at the crib; you are welcome any time you take a vacation to South Florida to come & 'do-tha-doo'---it's not over 'till the fat lady sings!!
And she ain't even ready!!

From Francis Grasso to Bobby DJ to Walter Gibbons to Danny POOCH to George Sirus to David Morales to Frankie Knuckles to Danny Krivit and the next generations, it still will go on!!!

The technology will get different, it will always go back to basics---vinyl.

True, there are few of us left from the 70s---but the spirit still moves on.
Out of everyone that seen you spin with vinyl, someone there was impressed enough to do it himself----same with George---You & 'G' with your live spinning have influenced SOMEBODY----and these younger guys will have to find it out for themselves!!

They still have vinyl record pressing plants, no???

Post Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:36 pm 

Don't feel this way Dan.

There is a reason for everything.Just as Jay said,somebody will get influenced.
One for sure is me.In 1997 i bought two turntables for me.The reason was that i wanted to feel the vinyl in my hand.I wanted to slum dank it on the platter.My collection of vinyl may be house music,but i am building a disco collection too with the help of George.He showed me a record store downtown Athens that's got the originals 12'' from back then.So every now and then i go there and i can tell you that i 'm not buying one or five records.More than 30 is in my bag every time i go there.So,all i want to say is...
It's not dead till you let it die...
Pressing huh...?why not if i can't find what i want!!!

Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:40 am 

Don't worry Dan,it's the same situation everywhere!Most of the clubs and bars in my country they have just a PC and a mixer in the booth.When they book me for a gig,they just set up turntables for the night that I play 8) It's OK for me,I want to mix my music with vinyl and I don't care if some other DJs want to play their stuff with laptops,mp3s,CDs or whatever :shock: :shock: :shock: ,this is THEIR problem,not mine!!!!
I enjoy my time at the booth working with double records for the 90% of my set and I also using a lot of records with acapellas and bonus beats stuff!!!
That's not old school,this is the way I express myself and I feel that I am a REAL DJ :D
Besides I never heard even one serious and creative DJ who's using these laptops and can make anything better than he could do with records - if he have them!!!!
In all these years I have the chance to listen a lot of ''big name'' DJs and with all the respect for some of them,the ''vinyl'' sets that some people like Sasha or David Morales did back then,has nothing to do with their ''PC'' days now.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers