Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Lost art Of Re-Mixing
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:58 am 

Hippie Torrales wrote:
Hey it's been a minute since I've been here (got divorced, moved out of Florida etc.....) but the lost art of remixing is just that. I like a a lot of you grew up and started with vinyl. Then I moved over to CD's. 1 because there easier on my back and 2 I can put 10 hots tunes on 1 Cd as opposed to carrying 10 LP's or 12" for the individual cuts. But I haven't moved over to computers because there not there yet as far as I'm concerned. Someday they may be but as of this moment there not. So my point is if you can make magic happen with the tools you have (be it whatever format) then you're doing your art justice. After all if we really want to be purist most of us would be DJing like Mancuso. One record at a time and let it play out. Like the first DJ's use to do. Anything else is a progression forward.

Great to see you back Hippie!, your knowledge and wisdom has been missed. Sorry to hear about your divorce and I hope things are getting back to normal for you. Where you based now and what future plans to you have in the pipeline (musically)?..
You any plans to visit Europe in the future so we can catch you spinning somewhere?. You have still got a healthy fan base over here in the UK, so visit us soon brother!

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:23 pm 

Yo Hippie,

Sorry to hear you having a hard time!! Good to have you back!! Best of luck to you always. I have read your post and share some of the same thoughts. But, to me, the art of "remixing" is about taking two of the same record and creating a new sound. I have yet to this day, seen anyone do that with CD, MP3 or whatever. I understand about the stress on the back, but for me and for the art, I will die carrying my records.

Pooch

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:48 pm 

DanPooch wrote:
Yo Hippie,

Sorry to hear you having a hard time!! Good to have you back!! Best of luck to you always. I have read your post and share some of the same thoughts. But, to me, the art of "remixing" is about taking two of the same record and creating a new sound. I have yet to this day, seen anyone do that with CD, MP3 or whatever. I understand about the stress on the back, but for me and for the art, I will die carrying my records.

Pooch

Pooch kept it real, folks!

Depending on the event I've to play, my decision to play vinyl vs. cd varies.

It's About The Music & The Connection!™

http://www.soundcloud.com/delmarbrowne

http://dj.beatport.com/delmarbrowne

http://www.facebook.com/realdelmarbrowne

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:31 pm 

I have over the past few months been able to view and listen to various DJ's present a music format to the floors. What is done on the turntables cannot be done with CD or any other form of music presentation.

This subject is now "MOOT" and finished.

Pooch

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:48 pm 

Hippie: Where are you calling home now? Sorry to hear about your divorce.

Alan Gohlke

Soap Factory, Dimples,
Chicago, Dante's Inferno,
Club Bene, The Palace + Others

Post Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:07 pm 

DanPooch wrote:
I have over the past few months been able to view and listen to various DJ's present a music format to the floors. What is done on the turntables cannot be done with CD or any other form of music presentation.

This subject is now "MOOT" and finished.

Pooch

I'll say this: The Magic from playing on turntables vs. CD players = Second To None!

Catch me weekly just for a listen!

CD players give DJ's an option but don't take full advantage of working to perfection.

Translation: There's a proper way than just looping a track = CDJ 1000

Turntables: Priceless!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:46 pm 

I whole heartedly agree Delmar!!

Yet I am undertaking putting my vinyl in the laptop for mobile gig purposes.
I'm doing my first show this sunday.
Like Pooch, I often start songs on the break and switch versions A to B side alot.
It looks like the software I have (Traktor Pro) will accomodate me.

It's gonna be such a convienience NOT to drag 4-5 crates of records with me.
And I won't have to worry about the wind blowing the platters off (it's an outdoor party).

But the real verdict will be how it all comes out?
Can I spin the way I'm used to spinning???
I can do it at home, no problem--but with a big crowd, getting in my usual groove?

The question will be answered this sunday---I will be back with the verdict!!!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:16 pm 

This will be interesting, Jay!

Please let us know the results from that!

I've Final Scratch II and yet to hook it up... 3 years brand new... That'll be revealed in November!!! Also using Cakewalk Pyro 5 software give a choice using either USB to laptop or RCA Digital to CD Recorder from Stanton T.90 Turntable. I prefer recording Vinyl straight into CD Recorder. I rather not hear that buzzing sound from USB in laptop.

Also, in the manual it says you can record from a regular turntable straight through the box... I'll read up on that, later!

I'd this before Traktor Pro and Stanton's relationship with Native Instruments dissolved.

Looking forward to your review, Jay!

DB

Post Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:50 pm 

That's the way I do it.
Vinyl / Turntable straight to SONY CD Recorder.
Then I rip the CD right into the PC.
Old School!!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:18 pm 

Jay Negron wrote:
That's the way I do it.
Vinyl / Turntable straight to SONY CD Recorder.
Then I rip the CD right into the PC.
Old School!!

Excellent!

Old School Way Is The Best!

DB

Post Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:35 am 

Sorry Jay but with all my respect to you,I don't know if someone with your experience and your huge record collection needs this childish Tractor stuff......
You know my feelings about these softwares :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: ,but I respect that is your choice to deal with that......

Post Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:50 pm 

I love my record collection.
I just don't want to drag it to an outside venue and cause wear & tear on my old ass body.

Before I do any of my gigs, I usually spend hours & hours deciding what music I'm going to bring to the gig. Then I have to get a couple of guys to help me bring all the crates (also the speakers, amp, turntables, mixer, wires, etc). Tommorrow all I will bring is the speakers, mixer, & the laptop. I don't have to decide what to bring cause it will be there in the PC.
I will have a wider selection, according to what direction presents itself at the party.
And after it's over I don't have to file any records away (usually takes like 2-3 days) so that's a relief!!

This will be my first time doing this.
I will spin the same way I always have (hopefully).
I know it will be a different feel, but I am aiming for the same results.
The Traktor has nothing to do with it.
I am not using the software to make my mixes, program it or anything like that.
As long as I can have speed control, can do double copies, can start a song on the break and come back to the beginning or any variation of that, I should be fine.
The music is what's most important to me!!

Music mixed with momentum, a happy atmosphere, and everyone to have a good time--that's the whole point with me anyway!!

Post Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:12 pm 
Site Admin

Jay,

This will be interesting... Can't wait to hear your verdict about the outcome of this gig.
As you say - I do understand the advantage of having so much music in the laptop and only carry the weight of the actual laptop, but a classic DJ like yourself - do you think you'll get that same feeling with Tractor ?! Let's hope so and I can't wait to hear what you've got to say about it !!!

Have a great gig my friend !!

Discoguy

Post Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:42 pm 

WOW, the gig went really fantastic!!

I was nervous about spinning from the PC.
Questions about will I sound the same, will I be able to locate the music, as well as questions about durability of the software were answered after the first 20 minutes!!!

It was like riding a bike---a different bike, but yet the final outcome was the same.

It was easy locating the music.
I put the tracks in easy to find (for me) file categories:
60s/proto disco, 70s, 80s club, 80s new wave, 90s, 00s, philly sound, motown, Jacksons, James Brown, Hip Hop, Ashford & Simpson, DEF mix, Stax, or Jski Edits.
The largest 2 files are Philly Sound & 70s.
Everything is in alphabetical order by Artist.

It took me no longer than 30 seconds to get a track and start cueing it up.
This software has an automatic sync or "double copy" feature that allows you to get the same track on the other side to "play" with.
In other words I could start off with the break of a song and easily mix into the beginning of the track when I wanted to. I used this many times during the gig.

The software also has a looping button that initially I was afraid to use. I didn't know how it would sound and was afraid of making a mistake.
After 3 hours I said the hell with it. I had "Love Is The Message" by MFSB on and decided to take a chance and loop the section after Leon Huff's keyboard.
You know when it's just Earl's drums & Baker's bass highlighted with the strings.
Once I did that, I mixed over it the accapella from First Choice's "Let No Man Put Asunder". The people dancing & listening started hooping & hollering-->Then I was sold.
I was using the loop feature several times more during the gig!!!

Cueing my music was the same. I match up the beats manually with every song.
And I mixed the same, listening to the output thru the main speakers and the song coming in thru the headphone---nothing different!!!

The experiment was a success---I am 100% satisfied with the sound quality and access to the music and it helped make my normal spinning a bit better!!!

I spun from 11am-6pm and was exhausted after it was over.

One thing that WAS different was that when I got home, I just put the speakers away, put the mixer and the laptop away and that was that!!!!
No records to file all over the living room, nothing else to put away; and Patty-Ann certainly liked that!!!

Attachment:
numark-sm.png
numark-sm.png [ 178.73 KiB | Viewed 4721 times ]

Last edited by Jay Negron on Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:02 pm 

The gig was not without it's bumps and bruises!!

At about 2pm the cops came over and told me to shut it down!!!
I was shocked & dismayed since I know we had a permit for the event.
I had the floor going real good at this point ("Funky Nassau" was playin) and people were BUMMED that I had to stop the music. I was pissed!! I had them going good for almost 2 hours and was set to go for the kill!!

The coordinator of the event then spoke with the sheriff & his supervisor.
They explained to him that they had problems last week with a party in the park where the people were getting drunk & rowdy; police were called in and made several arrests for drug use & weapons possession. Our coordinator explained that we are not that kind of event; that it was Narcotics Annonomous; there were no drugs, alcohol or weapons; and that there had not been one complaint about us in 11 years that we had been holding the event there. They relented, told us they were holding us responsible and let me play on!!! It was like a 25 minute delay. Enough to deflate the excitement that I had going. I had to start over again & build from there!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers