Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers

Post subject: from the archives...charts Discothèkin May 18, 1978 pt 1
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:06 pm 

been diggin' deep into my archives and found these magazines 'Discothèkin' from 1978-1979. This magazine was later called
Disco +trade.
interesting to see the charts from those days, especially if you're into collecting 12"

This is the cover of vol 1, number 45 from May 18, 1978

and here's the list of dj-charts from May 18, 1978, featuring the playlist by dj Ray Velasquez from New York, whose interview is in another thread on this forum

more to follow, if there's enough interest I'll scan some more :wink:

Post subject: I remember
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:46 pm 

I remember those charts, it was a part of the job to provide feedback. The only problem was, deejays, they really didn't care. When I was the director of BO CRANES Record Pool(Which is listed above), many deejays would throw their charts, blank, at me and say,"you fill it out" and leave with their records. It was then me, who simply filled it out with the wrong information. WRONG? Because I put down MY chart. I wanted HIS chart! Top songs changed from club to club, from deejay to deejay. So the real numbers were distorted. And that probably happened everywhere.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:09 pm 

Pete,
I looked up these magazines after reading the interview with Ray Velasquez on your forum. His words makes sense and he seems to be an outspoken, intelligent guy. Very good interview really...
I got really interested into his selections as he mentioned Latin & Brazilian stuff that he used to play. When I discovered his chart in discothekin I couldn't detect any real Latin or Brazilian??

I love these old magazines, they remain a true source for information on the early days of Disco

Post subject: TRUE!! but....
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:36 pm 

FOR SURE!! A great point of reference. But so many of the "reporters" did not take that seriously. A few straight deejays, and more gay ones, did. But out of 150 members at the Florida Record Pool, I was lucky if 10 gave me a real CHART of their clubs record performances. Some, like me, took that stuff very seriously. They would always have their charts ready for me. The late Barry Lederer used to say that "charts" were inaccurate. It was the deejays fault! But, there HAD TO BE CHARTS!! They were helpful, handy, but many records made those charts that had no business being there. And many records that should have been there, never made it. And many "hits" were pumped up, get the drift?-- Now as for that early Brazilian music, it never got charted, but it was played, especially in the PRIMETIME HOURS!! And in clubs like PINKY'S IPANEMA and The Copacabana! They HAD TO!! The crowds were partiers, many Brazilians, so that sound was HUGE. It wasn't reported, but Brazilian Artists had an impact. And if you left NYC, and came south, the further south you went, the bigger the impact of that music. Miami in the early and mid-70's was all about"party music" and Latin influenced songs. Thank God TOO!!

Post subject: Samba
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:10 pm 

Brazillian Music (Samba) was imperative in Tropicalia; especially "B-2"; had to play that cut at the height of the night for over 1 year.

Post subject: Brazilian Music
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:20 pm 

Brazilian Music was huge, it would pack the dance floors. It was festive, different and incredibly under-rated! You don't see any Big Name Star Deejays give them their props! Ray PINKY Velazquez does mention it, but not in detail. Lets see if my friend in Brazil has something to say about it! GUI!!! Where are you??

Last edited by Pete Denis on Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:38 pm 

one of the truely great Brazilian influenced disco-tracks is by a white boy;;
DC LaRue, from his album 'The Tea Dance'. It came out in 1976 on Pyramid

O Ba Ba ( no reino da mae do ouro)

great samba-type song partially sung in portuguese...I think he even mentions the club Ipanema in the lyrics, but he could be singing about those sunny beaches of course 8)

Post subject: I Know it well.
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:54 pm 

I was a big DC LARUE fan, but this song can't compare to the higher energy of the Brazilian songs. But O Ba Ba was played, in earlier sets. I know it is a matter of time before GUI2001 shows up, and tells us the Brazilian perspective. GUI, where are you!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:24 pm 

Hello Pete, Hello mates

as I said before my English isn´t so good to understand what really you all would like to know..... but ok, I see here there is many good friends and I´ll read calmily some threads above and very very soon i´ll post something about ok....

Ei Pete, my friends here in Brazil are interested in your " cubanos Churruscos " ehehehehehe...... come here my friend, come on

be back soon

Gui

Post subject: GUI
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:17 pm 

We missed you!! Those Mountains have you busy all the time. We need you to tell us more about that great music that came from Brazil in 70's. Groups that made us dance all night long in clubs like IPANEMA and The COPACABANA in New York City. Remember, or you still a little drunk from the weekend? CERVEZAS FRIA!!-- PETE

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:29 pm 

Gui, don't forget to download the mixes Pete and I did this weekend. I'm sure you'll like the music.
There are 7 sets. Here's the link to the thread:

http://www.disco-disco.com/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

Glad to see you back!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:19 am 

GUYS,

THE REAON THAT I NEVER REPORTED A BRAZILAN SAMBA OR BRAZILIAN DANCE RECORD ON MY DISCOTEKIN PLAYLIST, OR ANY OTHER PLAYLIST IS BECAUSE I REALLY FELT THAT THOSE RECORDS WOULD NEVER SOAR TO BECOME MAJOR SALES RECORDS IN THE USA.THE INDUSTRY WAS WATCHING WHAT I REPORTED AND WAS HUNGRY FOR NEW IMPORTS FOR LICENSING HERE IN THE STATES.

THE WHOLE IDEA OF PLAYLISTS IS TO ASSIST IN EXPOSING ARTISTS AND HELPING EXPAND THE CLUB/RADIO CONNECTION BY GETTING RADIO "CURIOUS" ABOUT NEW SONGS THAT ARE BEING REPORTED MORE AND MORE ON PLAYLISTS OVER TIME.

THE PROBLEM WITH THE BRAZILLIAN STUFF IS THAT THERE WOULD NEVER BE A RADIO OUTLET TO EXPOSE THESE RECORDS AND THERE WAS NOT GOING TO BE ENOUGH DJS TO PLAY AND REPORT BRAZILIAN MUSIC ---FROM MY VISION . I COULD ONLY REPORT 10 RECORDS ON A PLAYLIST FROM THE 100S I RECEIVED WEEKLY. MOST RECORDS COMPANIES WERE CALLING ME DAILY TO REPORT THEIR NEW RECORDS ON MY PLAYLIST. THIS MADE IT EVEN MORE DIFFICULT TO REPORT RECORDS THAT WOULD NEVER REALLY'TAKE OFF" LIKE BRAZILIAN SAMBAS SUCH AS" B2" , WHICH WAS REALLY 2 SEPARATE SAMBAS EDITED INTO ONE AND BATUCADA 2000 (ON RCA RECORDS BRAZIL),EVEN THOUGH MY CROWDS LOVED THE MUSIC AND THIS MUSIC WAS LEGITIMATELY HOT.

EXAMPLE:

LET'S SAY THAT I STARTED REPORTING B2 ON MY TOP 10 IN DISCOTEKIN MAGAZINE.NOW LETS SAY THAT A FEW MORE DJS WOULD REPORT B2 ON THIER TOP 10 OVER TIME.NOW YOUVE GOT RECORDD COMPANIES AND PROGRESSIVE RADIO DJS INTERESTED IN THIS B2 RECORD. EVENTUALLY I WOULD BE ASKED BY RAY CAVIONO AT TK RECORDS OR KEN FRIEDMAN AT CASABLANCA RECORS TO LET THEM HEAR THIS B2 RECORD.IF THESE A&R GUYS DID NOT SEE NATIONAL SALES, ESPECIALLY FROM AIRPLAY, THEY WOULD NOT BE INTERESTED
IN THESE RECORDS. I WOULD ALSO, QUIETLY, LOSE A LITTLE RESPECT FROM THESE A&R GUYS AND NOT BE TRUSTED WITH MY PLAYLISTS BECAUSE MY PLAYLISTS NEVER REFLECTED STUFF THAT EVENTUALLY WOULD BECOME MAJOR SALES ITEMS. REMEMBER, THIS WAS THE RECORD BUSINESS AND I WAS A CONNECTION TO ASSIST RECORD COMPANIES AND RADIO STATIONS IN WHAT THEY WERE DOING TO KEEP THIER BUSINESSES ALIVE TOO.

SO I ALWAYS TRIED TO REPORT RECORDS THAT COULD SATISFY THE "BERMUDA TRIANGLE :

CLUBS, RADIO AND SALES.

Post subject: Interesting.
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:26 am 

I felt that reporting music was a double-edged sword. Since most deejays really didn't care, their charts were bogus. And, like PINKY stated above, actually reporting a record that only YOU played, was a complete waste. So you tried as best you could. You satisfied the labels, but not yourself.

Post subject: PINKY
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:33 am 

Pinky, not reporting what was the "real" top ten to the trade magazines, was that the right thing to do? I believed that these charts were accurate, now, I can see, that I was mis-led to buying records that failed for me because of my trusting the charts. Am I right to feel that way?

Post subject: Re: PINKY
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:46 am 

DJ Ed Martin wrote:
Pinky, not reporting what was the "real" top ten to the trade magazines, was that the right thing to do? I believed that these charts were accurate, now, I can see, that I was mis-led to buying records that failed for me because of my trusting the charts. Am I right to feel that way?

Nothing new here. It was all a money thing. The big record companies usually got their way. Some deejays would list what they played and the record pools would change them anyways. So most deejays gave some wild list or would submit a blank sheet to the record pool director, then saying you going to report what you want anyways.

For a short period of time(two years) the Vynil Junkie Music Newsletter out of Miami put an end to promoting crap songs. Record pools didn't like that very much cause the VJ told it like it was.

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers