Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Dan Pooch
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:42 pm 

Dan Pooch, I heard you many years ago in a Brooklyn club, and you jammed! Glad to have you here with us!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:43 pm 

Hi Danny Boy!!

Post subject: Dan Pooch
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:11 am 

Well in my trips to NYC, I have seen and heard Danny Pooch spin. He is Old Skool all the way. Great mixing style. Pete, he is from Our school! You'll love this guy!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:51 pm 

Hello everybody,
On the advice and invitation of Pete Denis, I will give a brief history of myself. First off, I am flattered by the comments posted here. Thank you gentleman. I began playing in 1974 in Brooklyn. I hesitate to blow my horn but this is the truth. I was the first guy I knew of who was buying two copies of 45's and LP's. Back then, that is all we had. For me that is were the talent comes in. I was never satisfied with the length of the songs so I would remix them to extend the play time. So many people would ask me, "where did you get that copy", I had to expain that I had created the effects and the length of the song. That is when I was given the nick name "Danny Disc". Also, back then we called it "blending records". By 1976, I was the talk of the club scene in Brooklyn, I had already played in 5 clubs in Bklyn and also played in Hunter Mountain. I then became a member of IDRC record Pool. In 1977, I took the DJ position at Tribeca in NYC, I also designed and installed the sound system for the tri level dance floor. In 1978 I went back to Brooklyn to take over the DJ spot at the Nite Gallery. In 1978 I became the very first DJ in Brooklyn to be appointed a Billboard reporter. (Dj's that report thier top 20 every week) At the time I was the only non-gay reporter and the only reporter from Brooklyn. By 1979, I was reporting my top 20 to Dance Music report, WKTU and WBLS. I then becoame a member of "For the Record" record pool. I was the first DJ in Brooklyn to ever receive a Gold Record award, Sylvester - Feel Mighty Real. I then received a Gold Record for "Born to be Alive". I was flattered to be asked to play at eh "Midnight Madness Street Fesival" on 86th Street in Brooklyn. As far as I know, it was the very first rave. Over ten thousand people on the streets, covered by WABC, WNBC and WCBS news. I also played at the WKTU street concert in Brooklyn along with Jenny Costa. I had the honor of playing at the Billboard convention in 1979 for MK Promotions. In 1980, I played at the Billboard convention in LA. In march 1980, I was hired to play in a club in England. As far as I knew, I was the first to go. It was supposed to be one weekend, It turned into two, plus during the week. It has to be said that the crowd in England was NEVER exposed to Mixing records before. My style (and the standard of which we all played in the US ) was a new experience for them. My very first night at the Warehouse in Leeds had 200 people. The next night had 600 and a line down the block. ------- I will leave you here as I think I have to much history to state at this time. I thank you all for your interest and I look foward to
Pooch

Post subject: Danny?
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:11 pm 

Whoa Danny, don't be shy! I was enjoying that history lesson, then it ended 28 years ago!!! What about since 1980? I was learning. Teach me the rest. Don't worry about "tooting-your-own-horn" here! No-one does that more then me!! LOL Seriously, we really want to know your ENTIRE history. Fascinating so far! Don't stop!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:32 pm 

Dan,

Once again Dan, welcome to the site.....With me being from the UK, i don't get to hear many dj's do live re-mixing. this is one of the main reasons to this day why i love this site..I get the good fortune to hear dj's from back in the day and present spin there stuff and remix live.
Even though, would you believe it that i have been involved in the bar & nightclub industry in the UK since 1986 and i have heard them all. Am talking about all the superstar dj's that came through the early House years....the Acid house years....the Rave years...the Trance years and on to the present and i shit you not when i say i have probaly heard about a dozen or less re-mix live in the past 22 years which is a sad state of affairs! So i welcome you, your knowledge and history and look forward to futher contributions from your goodself..

On another note regarding THE WAREHOUSE in LEEDS...this club was massive in the UK through the nineties and a club that i visited back then about a dozen times!...always jumping...was up there with the superclubs like CREAM in LIVERPOOL and MINISTRY OF SOUND in LONDON...are you saying in your post that you were there in 1980 or at a later date?

Post subject: SOUL-BOY!!
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:39 pm 

MIKE!! You been holding out on us? They were such great clubs, how come I don't see them up on the site!!?? Did Danny shake some of the memories loose? Come on, I NEEDS to read about these great clubs on the site! PLEASE!!

Post subject: Re: SOUL-BOY!!
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:57 pm 

Pete Denis wrote:
MIKE!! You been holding out on us? They were such great clubs, how come I don't see them up on the site!!?? Did Danny shake some of the memories loose? Come on, I NEEDS to read about these great clubs on the site! PLEASE!!

Pete

I held back from talking about the 'Superclubs' in Britain for two reason's.
One being that i did'nt think they were entirely relavant to this disco site and secondly i thought everbody new about these clubs...however i am gonna put someting down about "THE NOTTINGHILL CARNIVAL" which is held in London...LEGENDARY...a carnival with a mix of parades, floats, samba, salsa, mambo,regga, funk, soul, RnB, Disco and live music...i guess you would call it a BLOC-PARTY...only on a massive scale!

Post subject: Dan!!!!
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:59 pm 

Hey Dan---Good Stuff!
How bout a music post from '75-'76.
We would love to hear that!!!

And keep going with your story!!!

Post subject: Welcome
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:25 pm 

Belated Welcome!

Post subject: Wellcome
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:04 pm 

Wellcome Dan!!!

Post subject: History part 2
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:50 pm 

Since this was the first time they were hearing mixing, the club made me go on twice a night - two 1 hour sets. The next week on Friday, the club had over one thousand people on line. They let in as many as they could and I played to an astounding reception. I was truly overwhelmed. People would ask for my autograph and take pictures, the DJ booth was surrounded with the curious. I remember the next day being in a Pub with some people and over hearing people talking about the Damn Yankee. (LOL) My trips to the UK were from 1980 thru 1985. I played at Warehouse in Leeds March & April 1980, Then again in Sept & Oct 1980 - then again in Sept 1982 -Eleven CLub in Harrogate, Stables in St Asaph (Wales) Dixieland in Rhyle (Wales)- Touchdown, Blackpool - Scamps, Blackpool - Hell in Manchester - Tuesday's in Manchester - Bunters in Blackpool - Bunters in Liverpool - Quinns in Liverpool - Tiffany's all dayer in Manchester - Hippodrime in London - Xenon in London - Peppermint Place in Blackburn -Fagins in Cleetorpe - As You Like it in Stratford upon Avon - Thursday's in Manchester 007 club in Whitchurch - Saturday's in Manchester.
My trips also included radio shows on Radio Aire, Leeds - Merseyside Radio, Liverpool - and Piccadilly 261 in Manchester. It must be said that at Piccadilly to the best of thier knowledge, I was the first DJ in the country to perform LIVE on the air. Which, was a great challenge to me. There was NO Headphone plug in. I had to remix all my stuff using the studio speakers. But, I showed them. (Blow my horn) I still have copies of all my radio shows as well. I hope you enjoyed this little UK history. I will get back ASAP to continue with the USA side. Thank You very much.
Dan Pucciarelli

Post subject: wow
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:18 pm 

Very exciting!!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:45 pm 

Dan,
Very intresting indeed..that list of clubs brought back a lot of memories from the 80's...not been to all of them but did go to a couple back in the day...shame most of these clubs have either closed down or changed names..Look forward to hearing where you have been plying your trade for the past twenty years!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:30 pm 

Welcome Dan. Pete has away of drawing in the seniors (like myself) to the site with interesting topics and conversation.

http://myspace.com/hippietorrales

http://hippietorrales.podOmatic.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers