Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: DJ Chulo
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:44 am 

oye Papi, I did not know you worked at FIRE & ICE and ELEGANTES? I read your short biography on this thread. When was that? For how long? We must know each other for sure then. small world.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:06 pm 

EL PATO WROTE oye Papi, I did not know you worked at FIRE & ICE and ELEGANTES? I read your short biography on this thread. When was that? For how long? We must know each other for sure then. small world.

I think i know who you may be your 5'6/7 140 pds curly blk hair and loved to hustle,(TE RAJAVAS BAILANDO) you once came to elegantes for halloween dress in a big diapper with a big safety pin and cowboy boots, also if i recall right you had a crush on one of the guys there (David) that use to hustle with you at times and bring the best out of you in the circles (TE RAJAVAS). If this is you, you were a bad ass dancer made most girls look like shit hustling. Also do you remenber a girl there from NY short hair dirty blond fine ass mami (Elsa) that could also hustle her ass off, and this mosthly all took place on sunday nights about 1980 to 82 time frame or so.

Post subject: Did Deejays have the power?
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:01 am 

Did Deejays have the power to make or break a song? Or were we just going along? Was it done with smoke and mirrors? A juke box with personality, I heard a deejay called that this week. Is that true??

Post subject: Yes, Yes, & Yes!!!!
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:14 am 

Of course we had the power!!!
How do you think all those records got sold?
"ROCK THE BOAT", "ROCK YOUR BABY", "THE HUSTLE", all made The Top 40 in national sales before they even got a spin on the radio.

We 'forced' the radio to play those songs.
Back in the day we played the songs ALWAYS before the radio played it.

There were many record shops in NYC that catered to the Disco crowd----not DJs---but the patrons!!!
When a new tune would come out it was not uncommon for 20,000 copies of a 45 to be sold in a week WITHOUT radio play.

Some major record companies were slow to jump on 'OUR' bandwagon.
Motown for one. CBS another. Other companies played it smart and let the small independant companies do the initial 'promo/push' and then would 'buy' the record for themselves to release it nationally.
Companies that believed in us from the start were: RCA, Polydor, Scepter/Wand, TK, and 20th Century. The others joined in after that.

After the Disco boom new labels formed to release just our music--->Prelude, Salsoul, West End, Profile, etc.

One instance is "DANCE DANCE DANCE" by Chic.
It was released by Buddah first---after it created an initial 'buzz', Atlantic bought the master. (Buddah was having internal financial problems and was about to be bought and turned into Arista)

In the beginning we ABSOLUTELY had the power!!!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:01 pm 

The DJs have the power and the knowledge to break new records. Just remember the early disco days:Love's Theme by Love Unlimited gone gold without airplay,the same with the early stuff of Barry White,Gloria Gaynor and Donna Summer.We' re not human jukeboxes,we know what the crowd likes and what's the right timing to push something new.
It's the same thing more than 30 years,DJs are the unsung heroes of dance music promotion,most of them without any bussines reason or to be legends :shock: , just for the joy of music.

Post subject: This is where we gotta talk about Deejays and remixing
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:38 am 

This is the proper thread to talk about remixes, Edits and deejays! -- There was a "deejay" down here in Miami 25 years ago, called JP. Now JP was slick. He could mix, a little. Mostly cut mixes. Usually on the wrong beat! He would on occasion bring in his reel-to-reel player, and record a few hours worth of my mixing. He would get upset if I spoke during this time. The reason was obvious. He would actually pretend to mix. He would lay out records, put on the head phones,and go through the motions, and not mix, just act like he was. He would get away with it for a while too. Eventually, he would get fired. But always found a club with an owner or manager who would get fooled. Of course it helped, that he worked cheaper then most deejays!! You ever run into him, or someone like him?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:05 pm 

A Known classic dj, Danny Pooch. Totally one of the best. He should be here on this site along with Pinky, Burgess and the like.
Disco guy should do a interview with him!!!!!

r :roll: forte

Post subject: Is he a member?
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:17 pm 

Is he a member here? This is relatively a small site. I would welcome POOCH here. Interviews and the such are rare. Him not belonging to our site makes it all the harder to do anything. I can see that either he is your friend, or you are a fan. I wish I knew him, then he would already have been here. So get him to join, the rest will take care of itself. That is easy enough, isn't it?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:28 pm 

Hey Pete. I am a fan of Danny's. He is listed in the hall of fame. Have not seen him since August when he played in NYC. I am on a party list that posts parties, and I have gone to a web site www.vinylinyourviens.com where they have info on him.

rforte

Post subject: I tried to go there....
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:31 am 

I tried that link you posted, it came up "server not found". I have heard of POOCH, but I don't know him, or of him. He is most welcome to come here, to shoot the shit with us. He is a brother to us. And this would be an extended disco family. I hope you find him, and get him to join, he will be glad you did.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:50 pm 

Hey Pete,
I found him!!! daspooch@si.rr.com - I found him on the web site viyv.com - type that into your search engine (google) there is some info about him and the contact guy who is the promoter. I will try to reach him too.
Glad you are intereseted in him you will be very happy.
rforte

Post subject: I sent him an invite!
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:10 pm 

Mr Forte!,

I sent Danny Pooch a personal invitation for him to come and join us here. We certainly want a deejay with his qualifications and talent to join us. Let's hope he accepts it!

Post subject: Yes!
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:13 pm 

Come on Danny Boy, join us. This is a truly great deejay also guys. I have heard him numerous times. I hope he comes here. BTW, he still spins today!!

Post subject: Well Danny Boy!!
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:56 pm 

The Pipes. The pipes they are playing! Sorry could,'t pass up the opportunity. Welcome Danny Pooch!! He is here!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:07 pm 

Welcome aboard Dan. :)

Looks like your reputation for deejaying has preceeded you. :twisted:

Looking forward to your contributions here. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers