Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:26 am 

THANKS FOR DIGGING A LITTLE BIT MORE IN TO MY MINDSET PETE.

THE BOOK THAT I AM WORKING ON IS ENTITLED:
"BEHIND THE BLACK DOOR"

IT FOCUSES ON MY EXPERIENCE WITH THE MUSIC INDUSTRY.

IT TOUCHES BASE WITH MY EXPERIENCE WITH CLUB PROMOTIONS PERSONEL LIKE THE WONDERFULLY TALENTED DAVID TODD AT RCA RECORDS WHO HANDED MY A LITTLE TEST PRESING 7 INCH ON "NOWHERE" BY HOKIS POKIS, THE RECORD POOLS: 99 PRINCE ST AND GENIUS DAVID MANCUSO,IDRC AND THE RIVERAS:THE LATE EDDIE RIVERA, DENNIS AND JAMIE AND HOW THEY HELPED ME LAND THE VANGUARD JOB ,AND THE ROCK POOL AT 66 DELANEY ST HEADED BY GEFFEN RECORDS ALTERNATIVE MUSIC A&R MAN DANNY HEAPS ALONG WITH ASSISTANT MARK FOTIADAS,MY CITY COLLEGE NEW YORK EXPERIENCE WITH RUSSELL SIMMONS,MY RADIO EXPERIENCE AT WCCR AM COLLEGE RADIO AT CITY COLLEGE,, MY VISITS TO MANY ALTERNATIVE MUSIC CLUBS AND LIKE DANCETERIA AND MY GOOD FRIEND AND DYNAMITE GUY MARK KAMINS, THE MUD CLUB , CBGB'S, JUSTIN STRAUSS AND THE RITZ ALONG WITH THE INFAMOUS REGGAE LOUNGE ON HOUSTON ST IN NEW YORK CITY THAT TURNED ME INTO A QUIET YELLOWMAN FANATIC.

NOT TO MENTION MY CONSTANT PRIVATE TOURS OF DISCO CLUBS LIKE PLATO'S RETREAT TO MEET WITH BACHO MANGUAL" THE IMPORT KING",54,THE ATTIC IN THE HAMPTONS,THE MONASTERY IN QUEENS, FRIENDS AGAIN, THE DYNAMIC DUO THE LOFT AND THE GARAGE.,PIPPINS,ZANZIBAR,GALAXY 21,THE LEMON TREE,GG'S BARNUM ROOM,XENON QITH TONY SMITH AND JELLYBEAN, TEE SCOTT AT BETTER DAYS AND OTHERS.

THIS ABOVE MENTIONED RICH EXPERIENCE IS ALL BROUGHT TO LIFE OR CENTER STAGE WHEN I WAS BEHIND THE BLACK DOOR AT THE IPANEMA INSIDE THE DJ BOOTH WHERE I STUDIED MY DANCE FLOOR CHEMISTRY OF DANCERS AND BECAME COMMITTED TO ENHANCE THE LIVES OF MY PATRONS BY TAKING MY DANCE FLOOR ON AN EMOTIONALLY CHARGED TRIP AND AT THE SAME TIME PROVIDING A FUN-FILLED EDUCATION INTO THE WORLD OF DIFFERENT TYPES OF DANCE MUSIC.

TUESDAY NITES WAS SALSA NIGHT.

SUNDAYS WAS BRAZILIAN SAMBA NITE.

THURSDAYS WAS R&B NITE AND THE WEEKEND WAS FIRE-POWERED DISCO WITH MUCHO FUSION AS A HINT THAT DANCE MUSIC WAS ANYTHING DANCEABLE---AND IT CAN MAKE YOU FEEL GREAT ABOUT YOURSELF AND ABOUT YOUR OWN LIFE.

YOU COULD COME TO THE IPANEMA AND HEAR MFSB'S "PHILDELPHIA FREEDOM" FOLLOWED BY ELTON JOHN'S VERSION ON A FRIDAY NIGHT AFTER GETTING BRAZILIANIZED BY BRAZIAN LOVE SONG INTO MY SWEET SUMMER SUITE AND THEN INTO A POSSIBLE B2 AND THEN INTO A REAL PURE SAMBA BY JORGE BEN .

MUSIC IS A FORM OF EXPRESSION. IT IS A CONNECTION TO THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE.

WE ALL ARE LITTLE STARS INSIDE NEEDING TO HAVE AN OUTLET TO EXPRESS OUR GREATNESS.

THIS FORUM ITSELF IS PROOF OF THIS POINT.

IT PROVIDES EVERYONE THE OPPORTIUNITY TO SHINE LIKE A STAR!
AND THERFORE RELEASE THAT WONDERFUL FEELING OF ABOUT OURSELVES AND ABOUT LIFE.

PEOLPE CAME TO THE IPANEMA TO ESCAPE THE 9 TO 5 TRAUMA.
MUSIC BRINGS US TO THAT ONENESS WE SEEK WITH THE UNIVERSE.

MY JOB WAS TO MAKE SURE THAT THAT CONNECTION WAS BEING MET EMOTIONALLY AND TO THE MAX---EUPHORIA A EVIDENCED BY THE ROARS AND APLAUSES AND THE "TURN THIS M----- F-----R OUT" CHANTS IN THE DARKNESS AT 2 AM.

THE BOOK WILL BRING THIS POINT HOME FROM ALL OF THESE RICH EXPERIENCES CAPTURED IN MY MIND===BEHIND THE BLACK DOOR.

Post subject: Pinky, I....
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:13 am 

Pinky, I just spent 45 minutes writing something, then hit the wrong button! Deleted a great message. I am a little pissed at myself. Anyhow, the Passion still lives inside us all. This site is proof of that. So, we will be on your side now! Consider us your troops! Ready to go to War for you! Tell us how we can help, we will!

Post subject: Pinky
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:59 pm 

Ray is one of those old-school deejays that used everything in his disposal to make the place hop. He would play a little of everything, remix, and generally give everyone the time of their lives. He retired too soon. Ray, you had a lot left! Bet it was the woman in your life that made you, "retire". Been there, done that! That is my biggest regret! If we would have stuck it out, we could make the big money that is paid to todays deejays. Can anyone spell, C O M E B A C K !!!

Post subject: Fantastic
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:18 pm 

I just finished reading that fantastic interview. Great job by all involved. Ray, you are quite a guy. You are married now, any PINKY Jr's out there? It really must have been a great experience working those years at IPANEMA. The music from 72 to 1980 was so great, mixing it must have been a challenge and a lot of fun at the same time. What was your favorite song to play at IPANEMA. Give me one from each year you were there. Or just one overall. It interests me for deejay reasons. PINKY, thank you, PINK LADY

Post subject: PINKY
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:05 am 

What was your favorite song from that era? Alan, what was your favorite song? What music did you guys listen to in your own time. I remember Pete would daily be listening to new records. Same for you guys?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:05 am 

MY FAIR (PINK) AND LOVELY LADY,

YOU ARE QUITE AN INTERESTING PINK PERSON.

AS FAR AS MY FAVORITE RECORD THAT I SPUN AT THE IPANEMA, I WOULD HAVE TO SAY THAT IT WAS "B2", A DISCO ACETATE PUT TOGETHER AT SUNSHINE SOUND STUDIOS, 1650 BROADWAY, 2 BLOCKS AWAY FROM THE IPANEMA In THE 1970s.

"B2" IS ACTUALLY 2 HIGHLY PERCUSSIVE BRAZILIAN SAMBAS EDITED TOGETHER INTO ONE SONG.

THE ACTUAL TITLE OF" B2" CAN BE BROKEN DOWN LIKE THIS:

THE "B" REPRESENTS" BRAZIL "AND "2" FOR THE "2 SONGS "INVOLVED THAT MAKE UP THE WHOLE SPIRIT OF THE SONG.

EVEN THOUGH THERE WERE MANY OTHER FAVORITE RECORDS FOR ME BEHIND THE BLACK DOOR AT THE IPANEMA, "B2" CAPTURED THE SPIRIT
OF THE CLUB BECAUSE THE IPANEMA STARTED OUT AS A BRAZILIAN NIGHTCLUB.THE OWNERS ROOSVELT RAMOS AND CARLOS WATTIMO WERE BRAZILIAN AND THERE WERE ALWAYS BRAZILIAN PEOPLE WORKING THE BAR AND RESTAURANT ALONG WITH THE WILD AND ENERGETIC BRAZILIAN DANCERS THAT ALWAYS PRESERVED THE SPIRIT AND INTEGRITY OF THIS PLACE.BRAZILLIAN PEOPLE ARE SOME OF THE MOST ENERGETIC AND FESTIVE PEOPLE ON THE PLANET. THEY LOVE TO PARTY AND LET GO!

"B2" WAS AN ANTHEM IN THIS RESPECT, JUST AS LOVE IS THE MESSAGE WAS THE ANTHEM FOR LARRY LEVAN AND THE PARADISE GARAGE.

I BELIEVE THAT EVERY BRAZILIAN PERSON THAT CAME TO THE IPANEMA THAT MINGLED WITH THE DISCO CROWD NEEDED TO FEEL AT HOME AT SOME POINT IN THE NIGHT.

"B2" BROUGHT IT HOME!IT ALSO HELPED BRING IN A GOLDRUSH OF BRAZILIANS ON THE WEEKENDS THAT LIVED ON WEST 46 STREET, A TOTALLY BRAZILIAN STREET.

AS FAR AS MY FAVORITE DISCO RECORD; ONE THAT I PLAYED RELIGIOUSLY EVERY NIGHT, WAS THE INSTRUMENTAL VERSION OF UNDECIDED LOVE BY THE CHEQUERS, MIXED BY MR. TOM MOULTON.
THERE WAS A LONG BREAK IN THIS RECORD AND I COULD SEGWAY INTO A DOZEN OTHER RECORDS OR FROM A DOZEN OTHER RECORDS.

(INCIDENTLY I AM LOOKING FOR 2 MORE COPIES OF THIS 1975 INSTRUMENTAL TEST PRESSING ON SCEPTER RECORDS.)

Post subject: I Certainly Am Pink
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:05 am 

Why PINKY, Of course I am an interesting Pink Lady! We both know what that is about. What were the two Brazilian songs that comprised "B2"? Did other DJ's have it? I read that Jay Negron at Tropicalia played it too. So it was for sale? ---- Of all the clubs you played at PINKY, was IPANEMA, your favorite? And is it true about those Brazilian girls? LOL

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:15 pm 

WHY MY DEAR PINK LADY,

B2 WAS ONLY AVAILABLE ON ACETATE.

THE 2 BRAZILIAN SONGS THAT MADE UP B2 ARE LOST IN MY MEMORY AT THIS TIME BUT WERE ON 2 SEPARATE BRAZILLIAN SAMBA LPS FROM BRAZIL.

BOTH SONGS ARE CASSIC BRAZILLIAN SONGS AND WERE ABOUT AND A HALF MINUTES EACH,RESPECTIVELY .I POSSESS THE 2 LPS BUT CANNOT REMEMBER THE ARTISTS OR LP TITLES.

TO ANSWER YOUR OTHER CURIOUS QUESTION,YES, THE IPANEMA WAS MY FAVORITE CLUB.

WHEN YOU THINK OF HOW CURIOUS THE AMERICAN SCENE IS ABOUT LATIN MUSIC AND HOW AMERICA HAS BECOME MORE AND MORE A MELTING POT OF LATINO AMERICANOS, THEN THE IPANEMA FITS RIGHT AT CENTER STAGE WITH THIS EVOLUTION.

THE IPANEMA MEMORIES WILL HOLD FOR A LONG TIME.

THANK YOU FOR ASKING.
YOU ARE "PRETTY IN PINK".
(ISN'T SHE?)

Post subject: Oh Yes, Very Pretty In Pink.
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:08 am 

Thank You PINKY. I look great in Pink and Black Leather! Very sexy look. Saw it way back in 198something on some CHINAS, stole it, it is MY look ever since!-As for B2, any way I can hear it? In any fashion? Just want to hear it. - Did you see that we are going to get our chance to let everyone hear our mixes, well...... Get my drift. Think Pink baby!!- XXX

Post subject: Critique Please!
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:41 am 

PINKY,
I will be in Miami this weekend, and I am going to The Ranch House to spin some records. I want you to listen to my mix set after they post it, and tell me what you think. I am proud of my talents(all of them), and I want to hear from you what you think, honestly! Please... Thank You- PINK LADY

Post subject: Pinky
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:44 am 

I too would welcome some old fashioned mixes from Pinky. What do you think Ray? Still got it? Just put up an old tape or something. Let us hear what the fuss was about you. You have been called the ABSOLUTE best mixer ever! I want to hear him!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:21 am 

MR ED MARTIN,

THOSE WORDS WERE MUSIC TO MY EARS.

TO CALL ME THE BEST MIXER EVER IS SOMETHING THAT DESERVES A DIRECT THANK YOU.

I HAVE TO ADMIT THAT WITHIN THE DEEPEST INNER PART OF ME, I ALWAYS LOOKED AND ADMIRED A HANDFUL OF CLUB SPINNERS,KNOWN AND ESPECIALLY UNKNOWN.

I HAVE ALWAYS TRIED TO LEARN FROM OTHERS, LITTLE TINY THINGS THAT CAN ENHANCE MY OWN STYLE LITTLE BY LITTLE.THE INDUSTRY NAMES WERE NOT CRITICALLY IMPORTANT TO ME IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF MY OWN STYLE. I LEARNED HOW TO MIX RECORDS BY LISTENING TO OTHERS. I LEARNED MY MUSIC SELECTION BY ATTENDING A CROSS-SECTION OF CLUBS:WHITE, BLACK,STRAIGHT ,GAY, LATINO.

I LOVED TO CREATE, CREATE, CREATE.

EXPERIMENT EXPERIMENT EXPERIMENT.

BE DARING AND BE BOLD BOLD BOLD.

MY 1950's SET AT THE IPANEMA VERIFIED MY DARINGNESS AND BOLDNESS.

TO SEE EVERY LATINO DO THE TWIST AT THE IPANEMA PROVED THAT I COULD MAKE ANYONE DANCE TO ANYTHING IF I COULD CONDITION THE MINDSET OF THE DANCER .

I ALSO NEEDED A "SIGNATURE" ON TOP OF IT ALL.

MY WORK ON ALOT OF RECORDS, MY PLAYLISTS TO THE TRADES, MY ASSISTANCE TO RECORD POOLS AND RECORD COMPANIES WAS pART OF THAT SIGNATURE.

BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THAT SIGNATURE WAS THE FINAL LIVE REACTION FROM MY AUDIENCESS AND THE SMILING FACES THAT ACCOMPANIED THESE TRUE SPECIAL WINNERS.

I WILL SEE ABOUT PROVIDING A BRIEF PINKY MIX SESSION FOR YOU AND FOR THE FORUM.

Post subject: Way to go ED
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:40 am 

Way to go Ed Martin! It took you, of all people, to be the straw. If I am not mistaken, PINKY is giving in, he will give us a "Brief PINKY Mix session". Finally, the heavens opened up, and a angel has given us a blessing. I have been wanting a PINKY mix for over 35 years! I never got one of those cassette tapes from 1975. The ones everyone wanted me to hear! They were fought over in my neighborhood, valuable property. It was like the ULTIMATE Prize. We all wanted our $3000 car sound system to play those great jams. And it was a PINKY Tape from IPANEMA that had them!! So I, for one, am really looking forward to hearing you do what you do so good!

Post subject: I Am Loving It!
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:45 am 

Ohh, I can't wait! PINKY, I am looking forward to this so much. Like a High School Senior looking to her Senior Prom! Anticipation! Remember that song!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:21 am 

TO CREATE THE TAPE WILL BE NO PROBLEM , HOWEVER MY TURNTABLES
(2 TECHNICS 11OOA ) AND EQUIPMENT IS IN STORAGE, WHICH WILL TAKE A LITTLE BIT OF COORDINATION TO PUT TOGETHER UNLESS SOMEONE IN NEW YORK STATE HAS 2 TURNTABLES AND EQUIPMENT READY TO GO, THEN I COULD JUST BRING A SET OF RECORDS TO RECORD A SESSION.

I REMEMBER AN OLD DJ CONTEST IN A CLUB IN NEW YORK STATE, IN THE EARLY 1970S WHERE TONY CARRASCO, JELLYBEAN, VIVIANO ALMONTE, PRESTON POWELL, TONY SMITH WERE PARTICIPANTS. WE PERFORMED 15 MINUTE SETS.NONE OF US WON.AN UNKNOWN WON.

I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT YOU GUYS ARE UP TO THIS (WITH PINK LADY LURKING IN THE DARK TRYING TO GET AN ANGLE ON THIS-HA HA)

Last edited by bigpinkray on Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers