Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers

Post subject: Ray "Pinky" Velazquez interview at Disco-Disco.com
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:47 am 
Site Admin

Check out my new interview on disco-disco.com with Disco DJ/Remixer Ray "Pinky" Velazquez

http://www.disco-disco.com/djs/pinky.shtml

"Pinky" did several remixes for Vanguard and in the interview he shares his memories from the Disco era, his thoughts on his remixes as well as his favorite Disco tracks and remixes.

Enjoy and Disco-on !

//Discoguy

Post subject: excellent
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:17 am 

Excellent job Claes! Great perspective into him.I learned and enjoyed it!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:19 am 

I must agree with you Pete, but so are the many others Discoguy has done. I must say that this site is a colorful Disco wonderland!

Post subject: YO RAY!!
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:26 am 

Glad to see you finally made it. I think this site rocks!! Love the music I can hear as I explore the site. Got Gui involved today. Here we go!!

Post subject: PINKY
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:53 am 

When I was the deejay in New York City's COPACABANA from 1973 to 1978, our main competition was IPANEMA and CASABLANCA. The latter was strictly a "salsa" club that occasionally played DISCO. It was about a block and a half east. But the main competition was IPANEMA which was further away, but very close by. The two clubs had "girls" that dressed the part of Brazilian dancers. The interiors were classic, festive and if you didn't know better, you could easily confuse them. And the clientèle was the same. We both played Brazilian Disco-Samba or Carnival music, both had Salsa nights, and both played the latest DISCO of the times. The differences were management(The Copa was totally a MOB club) and the live shows at The COPACABANA would always be the "Top Of The Food Chain Talent". RAY "Pinky" Velázquez made it tough on me, but that was an actual blessing; I HAD to be a better deejay, because PINKY could play those turntables like a virtuoso violinist. He was smooth, sharp and innovative. He blended better then anyone not named Jimmy Burgess. So I have nothing but total respect for him and his talent. My friends in Jersey would rave about him and IPANEMA, and it would piss me off. But they were right. That place rocked, it was always busy, and PINKY was never off! I believe that The COPACABANA had a few advantages as well, it made a lot more money, but that is another story all-together. There were many, many people who would be at The COPACABANA on Friday night, then end up at IPANEMA. And on Saturday night they would go to IPANEMA first, and then end up at The COPACABANA. And visa-versa. So what I am saying is that I think the world of Ray. Even though we were never friends, we couldn't visit each others clubs, we were both busy working. He is in my eyes one of the all-time best deejays ever.

Post subject: Pinky
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:21 am 

I always thought that you were the best Pete, but you say that PINKY was better? Is that what you said? Boy you sure have changed. I too have heard PINKY, but while his smooth mixes were great, your timing was impeccable. I remember you playing two, sometimes three songs together, and they sounded as one, then BOOM , he comes "Deputy Of Love" out of thin air, right as all the songs hit their crescendo. That my friend is perfection. And then within seconds, you would be remixing it! Never heard Ray do anything like that LIVE!!! But if you say he was better then I'll have to take your word on it. Hard to believe.

Post subject: When?
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:42 am 

When did I say Pinky was better? What I said is that he made me be a better deejay. At least that is what I remember saying? I also know exactly which mix you are talking about. You are right, I don't think anyone other than Jimmy Burgess could do that like I did. MIDNIGHT EXPRESS, I FEEL LOVE and PUMP IT UP all playing, and then i exploded with Don Armamdo's Second avenue Rumba band. That still amazes me!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

Pete !

Have you still got that mix on tape or something ?
Would just LOVE to hear it... :-)

Disco-on !

//Discoguy

Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:17 am 

I too have seen PINKY in action. He was pretty sensational. I was one of those guys that went back and forth between IPANEMA and The Copacabana. IPANEMA was a little bigger, but wasn't busy during the week like The COPACABANA was. PINKY was into his own thing, Pete was friendlier to those who made requests, he took them. PINKY didn't. That was the only difference I saw between the two. PINKY became a huge Superstar, Pete didn't. That was a difference as well. Both kicked butt. I was at both places every weekend from 75 to 77, every weekend. IPANEMA women were hotter!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:31 pm 

Peter,

Thank you for introducing me to the forum.

It's been quite a while since The Copacabana for you and the Ipanema for me. In retrospect, as UK artist Heaven 17 , track title "Let Me Go" spells out in the final line of lyrics in the song..."these were the best years of our lives" .The excitement, the energy- we were master performers on stage putting on an incredible show.Our crowds could not wait for the weekend so that they could be held spellbound and mesmerized by our creativesness and sense of vision after hard prepartion during the week to make our show another spectacular event in the lives of our followers.

I am so furtunate to be part of this particular forum.

Even though I never really heard you spin, Pete,I did receive the news from followers of mine that also went to the Copa.On this level, it was impressive newsl

And believe me when I say that you were HOT on those turtables! It was the WAY I was informed "Over and Over" (DISCO CIRCUS) that quietly told me that you were a legitimate entity to be reckoned with. It's like Robert Dinero and Al Pacino meeting face to face in a showdown.This is the impression that was being formed in my mind about you and I when I recieved ongoing messages about your spinning abilities.That was my competitive spirit at it again.But in reality, it was really respect for a master at his craft!

It is a pleasure and an honor to communicate with someone who understands what it takes to master a craft and take that mastery into a higher path, a higher level of creativity.And the resaon fdor this is that a true artist is never really satisfied with just getting by but rather demanding more from himself/herself than anyone could ever expect. This is mastery.

The Copa was always a hot spot in the city and I only heard incredible things about you behind the turntables.Repeat comments about your spinning abilities were constantly reaching my ears at the Ipanema.
My hat is off to you and I sincerely am extremely excited to be part of this form!

Post subject: Wow!!!
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:33 am 

I am stunned and over-whelmed. WOW! Pinky blew me away!! It gave me a case of Old Fashioned "Goose Bumps", to read those very kind words from someone who has all my respect!! To be totally honest, it left me feeling incredibly happy & honored! We should feel lucky & proud that Ray is here! We are talking about someone who could well be the best living deejay in the world. So MEMBERS, rejoice, this site just improved DRAMATICALLY!!-- Thank You Ray, and I look forward to a life-long, much anticipated, much belated friendship! You Are The MAN!!- PETE

Post subject: Ray?
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:09 am 

Hey Ray.
How often do you spin vinyl? You in "Shape"? Also, back in the day, you used to do something with "Let's Get It Together" by EL COCO, that made the crowd scream. What was that? - Thanks!

Post subject: Hookers
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:58 pm 

"IPANEMA women were hotter!!" PEPE, I REMEMBER ALL THE HOOKERS THERE IN THE CLUB AND STANDING RIGHT OUTSIDE OF CLUB LINED UP, USE TO GO TEASE THEN AT TIMES AFTER I COME OUT OF ROSELAND TOO. This place was always full of them. So I wouldn't call them hotter, if you had the cash, they were yours.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:41 pm 

PETE,

THE HONOR TO SAY WHAT I SAID ABOUT YOU IS MINE.

YOU WORKED HARD AND YOU WERE VERY GOOD.

AS FAR AS EL COCO AND "LET'S GET IT TOGETHER" ALL THAT I CAM REMEMER IS THAT THE TRACK HAD A LONG INTRO SO IT MADE FOR GREAT SEGWAYS FROM OTHER TRACKS.IN ADDITION, I KNOW THAT IT WAS ALSO ONE OF THE TRACKS THAT I WOULD LIKE PLAY TO GET THE ROOM "READY "FOR THE SHOW TO COME ONCE IT STARTED TO GET CROWDED AROUND 10 PM.WHEN THE VOCAL CHANT BREAK CAME, I WOULD TIURN OFF TALL OF THE LIGHTS IN THE CLUB TO SET THE TONE FOR THE NEXT BLOOD RUSH ROLLER COASTER RIDE.

PETE, I CAN STILL PLAY RECORDS BUT I HAVE NOT DONE PROFESSIONALY SINCE 1985.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:30 pm 

Ray,
So no "Fly Gigs", no guest Deejay appearances? Do You care for today's "music"? I really like some of it, but hate most of it. Once again, it is like the 70's. The "Dance" music has to crossover to get air time on Top 40 radio. Some of what gets played in Clubs, the general public has no idea of it's existence. It is, basically, high-energy Disco. I think that guys from our time, could school all of today's incredibly rich, technologically enhanced deejays. Many, I can tell you, have no idea how to remix live. A few know how to beat mix, but they could not do it with our equipment. Every month, a few Old Timers down here in Miami meet at a Ranch House, and do some spinning. In May 08',It was my first time with headphones on in 12 years. I was so rusty. My kids make it impossible to "rehearse" or Practice. How often you turn the knobs, move the pitch, and mix? You will always be welcomed in Miami, BBQ, Churrasco, Cerveza, Cuba Libres, Mojitos, and spinning! --- I was hoping you would remember what you did with "Let's Get It Together". You also did something with EL BIMBO? Remember that?-

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers