Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers

Post subject: Larry Levan project
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:26 pm 

Does anyone here know how I might be able to get in touch with any family members of Larry Levan? I'm doing research on a project about DJ's and would love to talk to his family about him.

Post subject: Re: Larry Levan project
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:41 am 

Larry Levan (born Lawrence Philpot, July 20, 1954 – November 8, 1992[2]) was a DJ who spun discs at the New York City night club Paradise Garage. The club has been described as the prototype of the modern dance club, because it was entirely focused on dancing, and was the first to put the DJ at the center of attention. He developed a cult following, who referred to his sets as "Saturday Mass". Influential US DJ François Kevorkian credits Levan with introducing the dub aesthetic into dance music. As Kevorkian, Levan experimented with drum machines and synthesizers which helped establish new electronic, post-disco sound.I found his dvds since I am converting dvd copying softwareand shring them .

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:35 pm 

justinhussey91 wrote:
The Paradise Garage has been described as the prototype of the modern dance club, because it was entirely focused on dancing, and was the first to put the DJ at the center of attention.

I would disagree with that.
There were many clubs BEFORE Paradise Garage that put the DJ at the center and concentrated on dancing.

The first club I ever went into (Forbidden Fruit, 1972) did not have a bar and was only for the dance crowd.
What about 'The Sanctuary' in 1971???
'The Loft' was another club like that established in 1970.
People used to come from ALL OVER to hear DAVID MANCUSO spin.
And that was invitation only!

There is a book that describes this: "Love Will Save The Day" or all you have to do is read LARY SANDERS Interview here at Disco-Disco.com to get a better reference when this really started.

Not taking any thing away from Mr. Levan but if these prediscesors I mentioned didn't do what they did---Paradise Garage would have never came about!!!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:18 pm 

JAY NAILED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:44 pm 

justinhussey91 wrote:"The Paradise Garage has been described as the prototype of the modern dance club, because it was entirely focused on dancing, and was the first to put the DJ at the center of attention."

The above quote while somewhat right... is mostly plain wrong...I lived In Manhattan from 1969 til the mid 1980's..AS a matter of fact Lary Sanders and I moved to New York together from Detroit. We danced at clubs in Detroit..New York and Fire Island...We danced at Sanctuary in 1969-70...Salvation..The Loft ...The 10th Floor...The Gold Bug...Hampton Wick...I could go on and on...Not to take anything away from Larry Levan but his legend is somwhat exagerated...His liason with Keith Haring and Kenny Scharf brought him tons of publicity outside of the Gay disco scene...I was at Paradse Garage before it was conceived..The location on King Street was the second space..The first was in Chelsea....There were many better DJ's at 12West and Flamingo that flourished without a publicity machine...Being a member at 12West and Flamingo as well as The 10th Floor and The Loft plus many more clubs in Manhattan and Fire Island gave me a unique perspective and many hours of listening and dancing pleasure...
Yes there were lots of great clubs...great music and great DJ's..My personal opinion is just that . Lary Sanders...Jay Negron...Francis Grasso...Robbie Leslie....were my favorites in Manhattan.

Lary Sanders will always be my favorite in the world...

I know someone will not be pleased...I wish I could have heard all of you play..Each one of you is unique and gifted...
Just so you know my credentials....I have collected and listened to music as a hobby...a pleasure...and a way to get out of this world ....Detroit to New York to Fire Island...It couldn't have been better...I just keep on listening and playing...May God bless you all.

More than likely none of the clubs would be as long lived as The Loft with David Mancuso as the anchor. To this day I am still a member of The Loft in London...

Please visit my websites for painting and music
http://www.StevenBogarat.com
http://www.YouTube.com/StevenBogarat

Last edited by StevenB on Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:36 pm 

Eloquently put Steven B and on the button for me all the way!
Thanks for your input, most appreciated!

Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:48 pm 

It's so bad that I wasn't in NYC these days (1976-1985).....
I missed so many great real DJs like Jim Burgess,Shep Pettibone,John Ceglia,Jay Negron,Paul Solari,Lary Sanders,Dan Pooch,Walter Gibbons,Tom Savarese,Bobby Viteritti,François Kevorkian,Hippie Torrales,Ritchie Kaczor,Bobby DJ Guttadaro,Jimmy Stuard,Roy Thode,Robbie Leslie,Alan Dodd,Ritchie Rivera,Warren Gluck,Michael Fierman!!!!!!!!!
Excuse me,who was exactly Lawrence Philpot????
Did he was doing the same job with these people????
Did he was mixing like these people and don't tell me that mixing is not important,we're talking about DJing in NYC back then and not what some guys writing in books now!!!!!
Don't believe the hype,it's easier to search for the truth and trust your ears!!!!

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:19 pm 

As Giorgio & Flava Flav say...

"..Don't Believe The Hype!..."

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:43 pm 

YOU KNOW WHAT??? THANK YOU MIKEY FOR OPENING THE DOOR... GEORGE, "DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE". SOME OF THOSE NAMES WERE JUST IN THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME. SOME OF THOSE NAMES COULD NOT MIX CANADA DRY LET ALONE TWO RECORDS.....

I WAS THERE, I HEARD ALL OF THEM....

POOCH

Post Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:30 am 

cANADA dRY????????

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject: Re: Larry Levan fake project
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:22 am 

I agree with you Dan,some of these names wasn't great mixers.But I think that none of them was worse in a booth than Lawrence Philpot....
For me,Lawrence Philpot was just a bad version of David Mancuso and nothing more!
No skills,bad mixing-just trains crashes,no real studio remixing-just the credit. (people like Sly&Robbie,Steven Stanley,Bob Blank,even Walter Gibbons do the real job) I don't believe that this man knew even how to do just a edit in a studio,but he was in the club with the best sound system,he was a big promotion tool because of his friendship with WBLS chief Frankie Crocker and he has good ''public relations''!!!
This is not a talent,is just good LUCK!!!And this is why outside Paradise Garage this person never make it again!

Post Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:42 am 

Giorgio & Pooch nail it down!!!
No more to be said!!!

Board index » DISCO » DJ's / Remixers