Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Disco - All over the world

Post subject: Swedish DISCO...
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:30 pm 
Site Admin

OK - first track out in the Swedish Disco section...
Maybe not ALL Disco, but it was the first Swedish hit in the US...

Image Image

Blue Swede - "Hooked On A Feeling" (click it !)

Blue Swede was a Swedish group where the singer/actor Bjorn Skifs was the lead singer (the guy in the white shirt in the bottom left corner).
This track was remixed years later by the Swedish SWEMIX Remixer Team and released as a promo only 12" single. The 12" also included an accapella version of this song and was heavily used in Clubs over all types of tracks, including trance tracks... Because of it's classic "Ouga Chaka" intro.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Next Swedish Disco classic...

Image Image Image

This is from a Swedish Radio/TV/Club DJ profile - Claes "Clabbe" af Geijerstam.
Clabbe was influential in the Swedish radio show scene as a DJ from the late 70's to the mid/late 80's. He was also one of the original members of the jury of the Swedish version of 'American Idol'.
Besides he was part of the band Ola and the Janglers in the 60's, he represented Sweden in the 1973 Eurovision Song Contest as part of the band Nova (they were originally called Malta - but couldn't use that name as people might confuse it with the Mediterranean island) and he was part of ABBA's tours as sound technician.

Anyhow this was his Disco hit...

Clabbe - "An Evening In Paris (Deca-Dancing)" (click it !)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Don't know what you thought of the "Swedish Disco attempts" above...

Need to follow this up with another sick Swedish track - again maybe not Disco but a track that was a hit and was played in clubs... The song and the whole album is chiefly notable because it is recorded entirely in non-existent language.
The track was made by Michael B Tretow, ABBA's Sound Engineer, and the Swedish singer/songwriter Ted Gardestad in 1981. The act was a secret for long and the names of the writers and so on in the credits were all bogus... While a number of other noted Swedish musicians and singers are rumoured to have taken part in the Caramba recordings Tretow and Gärdestad are the only ones that actually have been named.
Anyhow - NOW... Listen to the result of their work...

Caramba - Hubba hubba zoot zoot

Enjoy !! :wink:

OK - back again with another Swedish "Disco" act...

Image Image Image

Secret Service was a Swedish disco/pop/New Wave band, popular in the early 1980s. In 1979, Ola Håkansson, a former vocalist of Ola & the Janglers (notice that Clabbe above was also a member of Ola & the Janglers) and then a publishing manager at Sonet Records, teamed up with Tim Norell and Ulf Wahlberg to write a few songs that they submitted to the Melodifestivalen, a popular Swedish song contest. They did not win but decided to continue working together and changed their band's name from Ola+3 to Secret Service (partly because they originally didn't want to reveal who were the members in the group. For example the writer credits in their first release "Oh Susie" was credited to Hob-Gaga). Besides Ola Håkansson (vocals), Tim Norell and Ulf Wahlberg (keyboards), the original lineup included Tony Lindberg (guitars), Leif Paulsen (bass) and Leif Johansson (drums).

Norell, who penned along with Håkansson most songs of the band, however, did not appear with them on stage or on the album covers. Secret Service's first single "Oh Susie" became a hit in Sweden and several other countries of Europe and South America (#1 in Sweden, #6 in Norway, #9 in Germany, #27 in France, etc.). The same titled album that included another hit, "Ten O'Clock Postman" (#4 in Germany, #8 in Austria, #18 in Sweden, etc.), went gold in Sweden. Other successes followed, with their synthpop number "Flash in the Night" (1982, their greatest success) hitting the charts all over continental Europe (#5 in France, #6 in Norway, #9 in Switzerland, #12 in Italy, #12 in Sweden, #23 in Germany, etc. It was also released in the US on the Roulette label). In the mid-'80s Norell and Håkansson started writing and producing songs for other artists. Ola Håkansson's duet with ex-ABBA's Agnetha Fältskog, "The Way You Are", became a gold single in Sweden.

In 1987, Håkansson, Norell, and Wahlberg released Aux Deux Magots, their last album as Secret Service. The other members of the band had quit by then and were replaced by multi-instrumentalist Anders Hansson and bassist Mats A. Lindberg. Hansson would become Håkansson and Norell's partner in what would be known as the Megatrio, a Swedish equivalent to Stock-Aitken-Waterman. In 1992, Håkansson and his associates established Stockholm Records as a joint venture with PolyGram. They produced such artists as Army Of Lovers and The Cardigans, among others.

Oh Susie (TV Performance)
Oh Susie (Original Video)
Ten O'clock Postman (Disco Show)
Ye-si-ca (TV Performance)
Flash In The Night (Original Video)
When the night closes in (TV Performance)
I'm So I'm So I'm So (Original Video)

Enjoy !

Disco-on !

// Discoguy

Post subject: Re: Swedish DISCO...
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:32 am 

Clabbe's track did apparently not do much when new outside it's home turf but now this tune ( derived from a mid 70's Bollywood soundtrack) sounds quite good in a kitschy way. I spinned "An Evening In Paris" in Paris two years ago. Some of the people seemed to get the hilarious lyrics and did laugh, but most just danced on. There's not much bass though on the 12", making it a bit painful when spinned in a club enviroment.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:23 am 
Site Admin

Hi Jussi,
Cool move to play the Clabbe track in Paris. Great to hear that at least some people got the hilarious lyrics. But I agree the white vinyl 12" pressing didn't have that much bass...
Come on... "Have Your Share of... Deca Deca Deca Deca Dancing"

// Discoguy

Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:11 am 

What about Ralph Lundsten and the Andromeda All-Stars, aren't they kinda borderline leftfield disco? I've spinned Ralph's 1978 "Horrorscope" a few times at headnodder gigs. This spaced out rhythm track goes down well with students who go out every 20 mins to smoke funny cigarettes they roll themselves.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:34 pm 

Discoguy !!!!

Blue Swede have catch me !!!!! :)

but Flash in the night from Secret Service have a gold space in my memory !!!!
It's onE of my favourit tracks of the 80's !!!!!

but there is another awesome track from Secret Service that in Italy it moves the floor !!!!!!!!

A promotional copy ... FIRE INTO ICE remix !!!
enjoy all .... it's awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/xjft97

Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:37 pm 

I just found a 1978 Swedish disco lp by LASER, not to be confused with the Laser who did "My Name Is Charlie" and "Laser". This one has a very cheap lo-fi synth sound that must have been a total embarrassment back in the day but that works brilliantly today. The cream cut is an instrumental version of "I Feel Love" that mixes nicely with Leb Harmony's similar sounding Donna rip-off "Feeling Love".

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:57 pm 

I think "Taxi - Calling" recorded -79 released early -80 is a nice Swedish Disco effort.

One of the tracks is a great cover of Let the sunshine in http://rapidshare.com/files/90616725/Taxi-101-Let_The_Sunshine_In-1980__1_.zip
But the album has several great covers and some original material.

To add to the great Secret Service post this is one of their 1st releases (was it before or after "Oh Susie"? from -79 from an a 12" Promo- Darling you're my girl - http://rapidshare.com/files/285371468/Secret_Service-Darling_You_re_My_Girl-1979.mp3

etc etc. This thread doesn't have to be 5 posts long. We could make it 500!! or???

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:08 pm 

In 1976 the Disco was taking over even in the dark woods of Sweden- Some swedish musicians who played pop and traditional Swedish dance music was carried away by the cosmic disco wave and recorded this:
http://rapidshare.com/files/285375617/The_Triplets-102-Love_To_Love_You-1976.mp3

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:34 pm 

Very good cover,thank you Noman!!!!

Post Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:38 pm 

Glad you liked it.. Not many knows about The Triplets ....
The musicians actually are from "the dark woods" of Sweden.
(Sten Nilsson/Ebbe Nilsson among others, Discoguy knows about them :) )

Last edited by Noman on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:55 pm 

Wow...
Thank you very much Noman :)

Post Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:16 am 
Site Admin

Noman,

Great additions... I had totally forgot about the Triplets (and that Secret Service track)... Thanks for reminding me !! :D

// Discoguy

Board index » DISCO » Disco - All over the world