Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Artists

Post subject: Fiji
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:00 am 

Anyone familiar with this: http://www.fijiband.ch

Fiji are trio from Switzerland, almost the only current/new act I like. And I really do love Fiji. Which means A LOT when you know that I can't stand pretty much anything after the 1990. :mrgreen: I saw them one rainy summer night in 2007 and fell in love with them.

Bravo to all of you who know about them, and for those who don't: they just released third album... I like to describe them as updated mixture of Blondie, Grace Jones, Moroder... they have kind of "retro" vibe, but they're also modern... their image and sound is strong, chic, sensual, sexy... very sexy. Fiji are the only today's act whose music for me is continuation of 70's disco music. And that's a huge compliment from me.

If you get a chance to see them (Switzerland and neighbouring countries) - don't miss them!! Fiji live is a special experience. They carry the original 70's disco vibe in this new millenium. Check out their "Le Loup" and tell me am I right or what?
:wink:

If I could wish anything I want to come true, but only one thing - I wouldn't wish for all the money in the world or perfect health or world peace. I would wish to go back in time before I was born, in the 70's, in New York, to dance in DISCO era.

Post subject: Re: Fiji
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:22 am 

Not heard of them disco54, but on your recommendation I shall check them out.
Thanks for the info & link. :)

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:51 am 
Site Admin

Hi Disco54,

Had never heard of Fiji before...
Very nice computerized Disco - get some associations to Yello (from another other thread) as well. It was interesting to hear this, will listen to Fiji more !
Thanks for letting us know about them !

Btw - do you know Swedish band Alcazar? To me they're among the most traditional Disco one can get...

// Discoguy

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:52 pm 

I'm glad you'll give em a try. And after it, YOU'll be glad. :)
Associations to Yello? Well, they're all from Switzerland! :D The only two musical acts I know from that country, and I adore both. :wink:
I don't know Alcazar. I have a very limited knowledege (and interest in) new music. But Sweden has one other group that I like, though. They're not exactly a newcomers, but they're not from the 70's/80's era which usually interests me. The band is called KOMEDA, after the late and famous Polish jazz composer. They're not disco - although they have a song "Disko" :D - Komeda are mixture of different styles, but sometimes they remind me of Fiji.
Are you from Sweden?

If I could wish anything I want to come true, but only one thing - I wouldn't wish for all the money in the world or perfect health or world peace. I would wish to go back in time before I was born, in the 70's, in New York, to dance in DISCO era.

Board index » DISCO » Artists