Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Artists

Post subject: BEST LIVE DISCO CONCERT
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:50 pm 

WAS SEEING lOLITA hOLLAWAY AT THE gALLERY ON W hOUSTON /mERCER IN THE CITY-THE PLACE WAS JUMPING ttmfo-DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS??????

Post subject: Re: BEST LIVE DISCO CONCERT
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:14 pm 

dancinmyassoff wrote:
WAS SEEING lOLITA hOLLAWAY AT THE gALLERY ON W hOUSTON /mERCER IN THE CITY-THE PLACE WAS JUMPING ttmfo-DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS??????

when was the performance you have seen?? I remember seeing her in person in NYC at Red Zone around 1994 and what a great performer Loleatta is!!
Especially the moment when she was getting into her 'fellatio-act' with the microphone while adressing the crowd with a rap on 'you guys know where I am coming from' climaxing into 'runaway'. Chilling!!
The lady has humour too as at one point she descended from stage and kicked off her heels to show off really BIG naked feet with chipped nailpolish on her toes....But the best about this diva remains her voice and the classic songs she performs. Classy stuff...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:30 pm 

ok, another classic live Disco concerto by one of Disco's greatest stars...
SYLVESTER and the TWO TONS OF FUN.....
when Sylvester played Amsterdam, Holland the choice for the location was the Sonesta Koepelkerk connected to the Sonesta Hotel, a beautiful old circular (!) church with truely amazing acoustics. Chic had performed there a few months earlier with a string quartet. If only I could remember the exact date...

The performance was with an American live band and the Two Tons of Fun as back-up singers... Now church and Sylvester and these wonderful ladies connected like hand in glove, the performance became like a gospel service. Really inspirational and sanctified. The tunes were so uplifting, the voices just amazing with an inspired band and Sylvester in great shape and the Two Tons were very funny too. That night I went up to Disco heaven!! What a night. Only 500 people or so attended this legendary night and later on Sylvester showed up at the local disco DOK for some serious dancing (and cruising too).

I always envied the guy Sylvester took to his suite later....

Post subject: Best Disco Concert
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:06 am 

Back at the start of 1987, I was the Original Power Mixer at POWER 96 in South Florida. During the final few days of the Broward County Youth Fair, we had ourselves a huge Old Fashioned Disco Gathering. Gloria Gaynor, The Trammps, KC & The Sunshine Band, The Village People, Celi Bee, The T-Connection, Jimmy"BO" Horne, Anita Ward and many others all took the stage for possibly the best Post-Disco era concert ever. In the old days, at Harlem's APOLLO Theater, every now and then, there would be these huge DISCO SHOWS in which many of the current Disco Groups of that time would perform. We are talking about 1975 to 78 or so. All the Philly Groups along New York City's best all played there. Imagine Harold Melvin and The Blue Notes, followed by John Davis and His Monster Orchestra, followed by Ten Percent or the Crown Heights Affair. These were common in the Old Days!"

Post subject: Detroit, 1974
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:20 am 

Joe Louis Arena 1974:
The Supremes
Archie Bell
The Temptations
Stevie Wonder

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:46 am 

Kylie X 2008, a couple of weeks ago. But can this massive production with 14 dancers, a band, huge led screens on the floor and on the sides, fashions by Jean paul Gaultier, souvenier brochure art by Pierre&Gilles etc be called as a disco concert? Yes - the Diva screamed out Do you all wanna go Disco, and there were 3 directly disco-related long segements in the show. These included a great medley of the Love Boat Theme and Copacabana, played in real disco style and not as a house workout. A dizzying display of disco, nothing less.
Remains to be seen what the Gloria Gaynor, 3 Degrees and..gulp..Boney M thing will turn out to be like come October.

Post subject: The Apollo Theater
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:11 pm 

If memory serves me right, in the Mid-70's, The Apollo would haver concerts every month or so. I recall one with, The Trammps, Gloria Gaynor and John Davis and The Monster Orchestra that was spectacular!

Board index » DISCO » Artists