Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Artists

Post subject: Tina Charles
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:56 am 

One of my favourite Uk artists from the disco period was Tina Charles. A little lady with a big voice. Some people regard her music as a little to bubble-gum for the disco purists...i say f**k em'....lets have a look at her history and her disography in the UK....All you boys in the US can add her releases that you recall....

Charles began her career as a backing singer and session musician, and recorded her first solo single in 1969 with a then unknown Elton John singing backing vocals. In 1971 she recorded a record called "Joe" (about a little puppy); the same year she made appearances in the first series of The Two Ronnies, the famous BBC One sketch show starring Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett. BBC website - accessed January 2008

In 1974 Charles and her friend Linda Lewis were backing vocalists on the Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel chart topping song, "Make Me Smile ".

She provided the lead vocals for 5000 Volts' 1975 disco hit single "I'm On Fire". Although not publicly acknowledged as a group member at the time, Charles was considered to have a stronger voice than the group's official lead singer. The song reached number 4 in the UK Singles Chart, and 26 in the Billboard Hot 100.

Charles' big break came in 1975, when Indian-British music composer and record producer Biddu, who had just enjoyed massive success worldwide writing the disco hit "Kung Fu Fighting" for Carl Douglas, produced the single "I Love To Love " for her. The single spent three weeks at number one on the UK chart in February 1976, and was a major hit around the world. Biddu's collaboration continued on a future album and other huge hits like "Dance Little Lady Dance". In total, Charles spent 42 weeks on the UK Singles Chart in 1976 alone. All Music Guide - biography

Further hits like "Love Me Like A Lover", "Dr Love", "Rendezvous" and "Love Bug" made her a pop star throughout Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand, but she was never able to achieve success in the U.S. Her only solo recording to chart significantly in the U.S. was "You Set My Heart on Fire," which reached number 3 on Record World's "Disco File Top 20" chart in the autumn of 1975.

In 1978, Charles was a joint winner at the World Popular Song Festival held in Tokyo, Japan, performing the tune, "Love Rocks". Charles represented the UK, and shared the top prize with Japan's own entry.

By 1979 her career was in decline, and disco music generally was losing some of its public appeal. Charles married and had a child, and devoted herself for some years to her family life, putting her singing career on the back burner. In the mid 1980s she had a resurgence with a remix of "I Love To Love" which was produced by Sanny X.

Since 2000, Charles has performed throughout Europe where disco music and her hit singles have been reappraised, and she has become a popular live performer.

She is enjoying yet another comeback and is featured on the Top 5 Hot Dance Music/Club Play chart hit called "Higher". The song is produced by longtime friend and associate Sanny X. She has also signed a recording contract in the U.S. with Wizard Records, and has a new album entitled A New Beginning scheduled for release in 2008. She made a guest appearance with The Producers at their recent concert, singing "Slave to the Rhythm".

In October 2007, Tina Charles recorded a new track "Hide and Seek" with producer Ian Levine for the album Disco 2008.

Dsography In The UK

Singles

"You Set My Heart On Fire" - (1975)
"I Love To Love " - (1976)
"Love Me Like A Lover" - (1976)
"Dance Little Lady Dance" - (1976)
"Dr Love" - (1976)
"Rendezvous" - (1977)
"Love Bug - Sweets For My Sweet (Medley)" - (1977)
"I'll Go Where Your Music Takes Me" - (1978)
"Makin' All the Right Moves"
"Boogie 'Round the Clock"
"I Love To Love (remix)" - (1986)

Albums

I Love to Love - (1976)
Rendezvous - (1976)
Heart 'N' Soul - (1977) - Number 35
Tina Sings with Wild Honey and Heritage Mam - (1977)
Greatest Hits - (1978)
Just One Smile - (1980)

A truley talanted singer and performer that is in my Disco Hall Of Fame!

Post subject: Tina Charles!
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:10 am 

Lets put it this way. Tina is on MYSPACE! A friend. In 1976, I played almost every song off her I LOVE TO LOVE Album. I had two copies, and extended all of of them. I never played her songs back-to-back either. Instead, throughout the night everyone enjoyed her music. Here is a fact. promoting the album in New York City, she was booked at a few Clubs. It was supposed to be for a couple of weeks. Her popularity, the music, made her stay almost 6 months instead. She played at BINGHAMPTON'S FERRY BOAT a couple of times when I was deejaying there. And a few times At The Copacabana. We were friendly. So I am a very big fan & admirer of hers! Good Post!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:19 am 

Pete,

Looking at her disography in the UK..was it the same in the US or can you recall more releases.....also...during her many performances that you seen of hers...did she lip-sync or sing over the backing track?....what did you like about her songs Pete?...was it the melodies or her voice or was it just the complete package?

Post subject: Tina!
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:56 am 

One of her tracks I still play that rocks is "DISCO FEVER"!!!!

What a beat--fierce Biddu horns & a vocal reminding me of Teena Marie's best work!!!

Post subject: Mike
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:17 am 

I have a good memory about many things. Things that I felt were important. Names of songs I played , some yes some no. BUT...the 1976 album I LOVE TO LOVE had 5 songs off it I played. I saw the crowd's reaction to them, and jumped on the Tina Charles band wagon. At that time, I expected her to continue with the songs and music. I thought she would be the best of the Disco Era. Bigger then Donna Summer. Really. Her songs were so DISCO, such great music to grab a partner and dance. Her voice had an innocent quality to it. I loved it. Still do. If I hear her singing ANYTHING, I know instantly it is Tina! The production by Biddu was pure Disco at that time. I love it to this day. Then, there was Tina herself. She was adorable. I always wanted to grab her, hug, squeeze and give her a big kiss. So phuckin cute she was. I last talked to her in person, over 30 years ago. But recently, she became a friend again. As for were there songs here by her that were not released in the UK? Not knowing 100%, I would have to say No. In fact, I bet there were a great many versions, even songs released in the UK that never made it here. She lives in the UK, her team was all from there. I bet it is money in the bank, that there were more Tina Charles releases there, then here in the States! I think that covers everything you wanted to know. For now! OH, the Lip sync question! NO! She sang. At some places had a small band. At others the John Davis Orchestra. And still, at others a Reel-To Reel with the music, she then would sing her songs on cue. In places I worked, BINGHAMPTON'S she had a 5 or 6 piece band. At The Copacabana, it was the John Davis monster Orchestra, but not getting any billing at all. Just hired musicians I guess.

Post subject: Tina Charles.
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:31 am 

In Miami, some songs were played, but not FIVE. I think that it was "I Love To Love" the biggest hit. Followed by "You Set My Heart On Fire". And the third song wasn't as well received as those two, but was played. That was,"Dance Little Lady Dance". I know that she as real big in those legendary Manhattan discos! I, personally, loved her too!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:54 am 

Let the little lady show you what she's got....

"DANCE LITTLE LADY DANCE"

[/http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh0z_WU5_Mo&feature=related

"DR LOVE"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYk1DW1jN5s

"YOU SET MY HEART ON FIRE"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aHDsmh4 ... re=related

"I LOVE TO LOVE"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaQvdwRh-HM

"I'M ON FIRE" (5000 VOLTS)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSuDTF7Aa6U

Disco Down Little Lady!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:05 pm 

Many don't like Tina, say she's too poppy, too soft but I do dig her. It's the sort of Disco that puts a smile on people's faces. And let's face it, her songs from 30 years ago, they are still being played and liked, not?

Tina and her (ex)husband Biddu were a great team. Simple but effective melodies!

PETE'S NOTE:: Husband???

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:03 pm 

Starr Inc. wrote:
Many don't like Tina, say she's too poppy, too soft but I do dig her. It's the sort of Disco that puts a smile on people's faces. And let's face it, her songs from 30 years ago, they are still being played and liked, not?

Tina and her (ex)husband Biddu were a great team. Simple but effective melodies!

Good point Starr...you hit the nail on the head...Timeless Tracks

You got a favourite track by her then?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:14 pm 

I LOVE TO LOVE
YOU SET MY HEART ON FIRE

Those are my two top Tina Charles songs. But I like them all, a lot!

Post subject: Favourites!
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:31 pm 

I to Pete have "I LOVE TO LOVE" down as one of my favourites..Liked what the DMC remix did in 1986..You will find that remix on one of my previous posts......the other two standouts for me was her collaberation with 5000 volts "I'M ON FIRE" and of course "YOU SET MY HEART ON FIRE"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:00 am 

Yes Pete, she was married to Biddu, THE Biddu!

My favourite track is "Disco Fever" from her album "I Love To Love" (1976)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66uVb6mT8kg

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:40 am 

I must spin Tina's "There's Fire Down Below" or "Love Bug" this coming Saturday. Perfect laidback cabaret disco stuff.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:12 pm 

I'm pretty broad with the disco I like. I've always loved the sound Tina Charles has that sorta "bubblegum pop" which I dont even know if it is...anywho it sounds good to me.Tracks like Boogiethon, Disco Fever, Disco Love, they are pretty funky I guess I'd have to agree with the majority that I Love To Love is my fav..its ROMANTIC DISCO!! Other songs that fall into this catergory are DANCING EASY by Danny Williams (LOVE IT), CANT GET BY WITHOUT YOU Real Thing, SOMETHING ABOUT YOU Moses..its all good!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:59 pm 

Hey! WOW! The very 1st time I see anyone ever mentioning DANCING EASY by Danny Williams since it came out - Dancing Easy, the numero 1 disco lounge track if u ask me! It was used as the theme for Campari ads in 1977. I've spinned it a few times in clubs recently but the timing was never exactly right, one needs to have established a specific, relaxed groovy mood for maximum Danny Williams impacto: 5.30 in the morning, people dancing languidly, satisfied but still ready for more, hungry eyes burning into yours from across the floor. Bring on the Campari, on ice!

Board index » DISCO » Artists