Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » DISCO » Artists

Post subject: Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:20 am 

Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes

Formed in Philadelphia in 1954, the line up at various stages consisted of:

Harold Melvin (b. 25th June 1939, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania U.S.A., d. 24th March 1997, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania U.S.A.)
Theodore (Teddy) Pendergrass (b. 26th March 1950, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania U.S.A. - between 1970-76)

Bernard Williams (in 1954)

Bernie Wilson (between 1972-1977)

Jesse Gillis Jnr.

Franklin Peaker (b. 1935, Philadelphia, U.S.A. d. 15th November 2006, Philadelphia, U.S.A.)

Lawrence Lloyd Brown Sr. (b. 5th November 1944, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., d. 6th April 2008, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.)

and Roosevelt Brodie

Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes were, originally, formed in 1954 under the name 'The Bluenotes'.

Prior to that incarnation the group were originally known as the Charlemagnes.

Harold Melvin was a self taught pianist, who originally sang Doo Wop.

The Bluenotes, at that time, were a quintet with the other band members being Bernard Williams, Roosevelt Brodie, Jesse Gillis Jr., and Franklin Peaker.

Their first single, 'If You Love Me' was recorded for the Josie imprint in 1956.

The Bluenotes recorded for several other labels at the time, including the Dot label.

In 1960 with 'My Hero', became a minor hit on the Val-Ue imprint.

The Bluenotes saw several line-ups as members came and went, with Bernard Williams leaving to lead 'the Original Blue Notes' in the mid-'60s.

Harold put together a new version of the Blue Notes featuring, lead singer, John Atkins.

The Bluenotes reached the R & B charts in 1965 with the single 'Get Out (And Let Me Cry)' for the Landa label.

The group released several further singles for the Arctic, Checker, and Uni imprints, with the line-up changing on a regular basis.

During the late '60s, the group toured regularly with the Cadillacs, whose line up featured a drummer called Teddy Pendergrass.

Teddy initially joined the Blue Notes backing band, however, impressed by his singing abilities, Teddy became promoted to singing lead vocals after John Atkins left in 1970.

By 1972, the group had signed to Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff's Philadelphia International label.

The group's line-up now consisted of Harold Melvin, Teddy Pendergrass, Lawrence Brown, Bernard Wilson, and Lloyd Parks.

The first single, 'I Miss You,' was a hit on the R & B charts, the second was a bigger hit in 1972.

'If You Don't Know Me by Now,' went straight to the number one slot on the R & B charts, number 5 on the National listings.

In 1973, they hit the charts again with the dancer 'The Love I Lost,' which became their second R & B hit and Top Ten pop single.

The parent album 'Black & Blue', produced another R & B / Top Ten hit in the form of 'Satisfaction Guaranteed (Or Take Your Love Back).'

In 1974, Lloyd Parks was replaced by Jerry Cummings.

The R & B album 'To Be True' followed along with a succession of chart hits including, 'Where Are All My Friends' and 'Bad Luck'. Which of course became their biggest hit. Dominating Disco charts for almost three straight months.

They then added the female vocalist Sharon Paige to the line-up, with the group charting again in 1975 with the duet 'Hope That We Can Be Together Soon'.

The same year, the album 'Wake Up Everybody' was released.

The title track was another R & B number one, whilst 'Tell the World How I Feel About 'Cha Baby' also reached the R & B Top Ten.

The album also contained the song 'Don't Leave Me This Way', a tune later covered by the singer Thelma Houston.

Tensions began to build within the ranks with Teddy requesting separate billing.

In 1976, Teddy Pendergrass left the Blue Notes for a solo career.

Harold recruited the singer David Ebo to the line-up, whilst still retaining the services of Sharon Paige.

After Teddy had departed, the group left the Philadelphia International fold for the ABC imprint.

They then reached the R & B Top Ten in 1977 with the title track of 'Reaching for the World'.

This was to be their last major chart entry, although they did record a further album for ABC.

Jerry Cummings and Bernard Wilson both departed in 1977, replaced by Dwight Johnson and William Spratelly, whilst Sharon Paige left in 1980.

The Blue Album

The Blue Notes relocated to the MCA subsidiary Source imprint in 1979 for two LPs, with 'The Blue album' containing the dancer 'Prayin' (popular on the U.K. dance scene).

Gil Saunders was then recruited to the line-up in 1982 as lead vocalist, whilst David Ebo departed from the band.

They signed to Philly World in 1984, achieving minor U.K. hits the same year with the singles 'Don't Give Me Up' and 'Today's Your Lucky Day', along with the parent album 'Talk It Up (Tell Everybody)', with Gil Saunders as the lead singer.

Gil Saunders left the group in 1992 and still performs as a solo artist to this day.

Harold continued to tour with several versions of the Blue Notes steadily into the '90's, with Sharon Paige returning to the fold.

Sadly, Harold suffered a stroke and never fully recovered.

Harold Melvin died in 1997-- Thanks goes out to the Family Of Harold Melvin for all the important Bio material.

Last edited by Pete Denis on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Good Job!
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:47 am 

Pete,

Great in-depth bio!...most enjoyable read...

Loved all there material from the early to mid seventies. Got a special affinty for there "WAKE UP EVERYBODY" Lp ...still gets regular play at my crib.

Remembering reading a candid interview by TEDDY PENDERGRASS not long after his accident. He decided to leave the group around 75/76 to persue a solo career and he cited that it was just not purlely down to creative differences but also the fact that Harold Melvin was such a tyrant and dictator in the group who also kept most of the money to himself.

Pete....what did you think of there release's after TP left the group?.

Post subject: Harold/Teddy
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:44 pm 

Harold's release on ABC Records was bland if anything---no hits for me---but Teddy?

WOW, Teddy hit it real big as far as club hits in '77.
His first solo LP had a 3 pack!
"I DON'T LOVE YOU ANYMORE"
"YOU CAN'T HIDE FROM YOURSELF"
"THE MORE I GET, THE MORE I WANT"

All 3 were played heavily by me at Tropicalia.
John Morales made a Teddy Medley Bootleg which incorporated all 3 songs.
Many DJs were going to Sunshine Sound to get it on acetate.

Post subject: UK Hits
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:13 pm 

Though the group never did recapture the dizzy heights of the 70's after Teddy's departure, they did have futher success over hear in the UK in the 80's with a couple of noteable singles taken from the "TALK IT UP (TELL EVERYBODY)" album circa 1984..These two caused a bit of a stir in the soul clubs of Britain;

HAROLD MELVIN & THE BLUE NOTES - "TODAY'S YOUR LUCKY DAY"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq_9msL1lVE

HAROLD MELVIN & THE BLUE NOTES - "DON'T GIVE ME UP"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq_9msL1 ... re=related

Enjoy!

Post subject: BAD LUCK
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:26 pm 

These guys were the bomb!! Did you know that BAD LUCK was played on WBLS for 26 weeks!! And even Cousin Brucie played it on WABC am radio for almost an entire year. In it's day, the most popular song in the streets! It was certainly not BAD LUCK for them, was it?

Post subject: Bad Luck
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:16 pm 

"BAD LUCK" was also #1 on Billboard's Disco Music Chart for a record high 11 weeks in a row in 1976.
A record that was never broken, only later tied by Michael Jackson's "THRILLER/BILLY JEAN".

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:37 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itUrjWNGnZQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-1dKj8oj-U

a little something for the harold melvin & the bluenotes fans

ktf.
darren :D 8)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:47 pm 

Ohhh I remember in a Disco Dance the DJ played this track every week...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhuZxaqj ... re=related

PS. Darren nobody better than you to open a topic about EWF..... everybody will know WHY ehehehehe

Gui

Board index » DISCO » Artists